Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Really the problem is that in certain neighborhoods you just get a face full of racism and xenophobia, and you go ten streets further and there's tolerant and accepting people everywhere.

Europe has a lot of racists and idiots, and they tend to stick together. But we don't have a widespread, popular Republican party and I'm pretty glad we don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Enjoy posted:

The Conservative Party fought against voting reform in 2011 and suffered a massive rebellion over gay marriage (more of Cameron's MPs opposed it than supported it, including two Cabinet ministers) so I don't see how they are so different. The Conservatives and Republicans have shared remarkably similar worldviews for many decades.

I don't know that much about the conservatives in the UK, so I guess British politics are even shittier than I imagined. :shrug:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

CSM posted:

In the meantime, two members of the lower house, one member of the European Parliament, a bunch of provincial parliament and city council members all have left Wilder's PVV. In other news, this has led Wilders to cancel his visit to the Flemish fascist party. Which means he didn't have a chance to criminalize himself in Belgium. :(

drat it, now I won't have a chance to bring Wilders up in a conversation with my friends to talk about how poo poo he is. :(

Just kidding, any moment is a good moment to bring up how poo poo Wilders is.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Lagotto posted:

Even more people forget that the first form of the Lissabon treaty (the TCE) was firmly rejected by referendum in 2005 by both France and The Netherlands, after which they purposely chose not to even put the Lissabon treaty up for referendum because it would have been rejected again.

That's EU democracy in action for you.

Ah yes, the Netherlands where voters were told the EU doesn't help animal rights enough, and France, where the media told the voters the EU is meddling too much in poo poo like animal rights.

They didn't do the referendum again because they removed the most controversial articles.

Also of course all of this had to be approved by your democratically elected parliaments and governments, but I guess they get a free pass because reasons.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

Dewinter is actually a skilled politician, I can't believe he would go campaigning with these symbols on his jacket. I know it's just a Celtic cross, but in this specific case it obviously has far-right connotations. It's like he just doesn't care anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLyWxWZn4w

I think Vlaams Belang actually just gave up and became a parody of themselves.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm stoked to experience the 1930's firsthand. Sigh.

I know it's a bit of a hyperbole but I can certainly see Pagida and Golden Dawn ride this wave for some months.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

icantfindaname posted:

I think police action against a mainly black crowd of poor youths is inseparable from racism and insisting it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT is an almost unbelievably naive position to hold

So what should the police have done, then? Tell me? Let the looting go on because the youth are black?

EDIT: or whatever it was that happened, I'm not Portuguese nor do I know what happened at said mall. But if your point is "police arresting two youth because they are black is racist" then I don't know what the alternative course of action was except a hands off approach where you just let the chips fall where they may. Which is something police are supposed to prevent.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

my dad posted:

I apologize if I'm bringing one of the subjects of that thread here, but I'd like to ask the French regulars in this thread something, since I know very little about everyday stuff in France. Why is everyone talking about the murdered cartoonists as if they were racists? I mean, I understand the fear that this event is going to result in reprisals against Muslims, but I don't see an example of those cartoonists ever encouraging something like that.

I'm Belgian but Hara Kiri (CH's former name) and Charlie Hebdo are popular here as well. They're part of a thing that was way more popular decades ago but imagine them like MAD magazine or The Onion. they make fun of anyone and everyone (amongst others: various presidents, pretty much every major religion, lots of politicians).

People are talking about the cartoonists as if they were racists because yeah some of their satire was punching down on radical Islam and what have you. If you just google Charlie Hebdo without any context some of their covers might seem racist but they really were just people who gave 0 shits and if you complained that they were offensive they doubled down in their next issue just to troll you.

There's also one image of a black French politician depicted as a monkey but above it is written something that could be translated as "THIS IS WHAT THOSE RIGHT-WINGERS ACTUALLY BELIEVE" because the FN had compared her to a monkey and thrown bananas at her and nonsense like that. Said black woman thanked them for pointing out how absurd FN is. But of course glancing over their material and being offended is easier than seeking context.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Randler posted:

Is defending people who abuse freedom of speech to criticize others really the hill you want to die on?

What... What's the point of freedom of speech if you can't criticize others with it? :psyduck:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Guildencrantz posted:

I'm not super familiar with French culture, but from my various investigations into history, I've noticed that Francophone political satire seems to have a tradition of being intentionally hamfisted, in a so-bad-it's-good way. At least, I know Revolution-era publications in the vein of Le Père Duchesne can put FYAD to shame with how cheerfully obscene they were, as could later 19th century stuff that I ran into. This is especially noticable compared to the ironic style of contemporary Anglophone satire or Germany's apparent wall of separation between the bawdy and the political.

Is this observation roughly correct? If so, I'd imagine much of the racism accusations are culture shock, since the French flavor of "let's see how far we can take this" brutal iconoclasm just doesn't fly in many other countries and people are taking it at face value.

A late reply, and I'm not an expert on French culture by any means, but considering another newspaper just made this as a homage to Charlie Hebdo:

I'd say that yes, French satire is very much an offensive, hamfisted, "too soon" style that revels in shocking people. (If you haven't seen, the magazine Charb is using to protect himself against bullets is a previous Charlie Hebdo cover that was almost exactly the same with an Egyptian person getting shot while using a Quran as cover.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Turns out this cover is not at all a homage in its intent, but rather meant as an insult. It comes from the adepts of an extreme-right guru called Alain Soral.
I find the joke of the main cartoon itself to be hilarious, ("Charlie Hebdo sucks, it doesn't stop bullets"), but all the stuff that surrounds it is mean-spirited bullshit. The subheading is "bankrupt newspaper" instead of "irresponsible newspaper", two of the articles mentioned on the cover are "Charlie Hebdo and Hara Kiri [Charlie's predecessor], a treason of left-wing ideals", "Religion, a double standard [something about Jews]", and there's a false ad for a book about the life of Patrick Font, a former collaborator of Charlie Hebdo who went to prison for sexual contact with children (he's depicted holding a child's hand in the caricature).

This is what I get for not reading the words and just seeing an edit of a well-known CH cover.

• Locked thread