Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Paper Mac posted:

Anyone played Empire of the Sun? I think if I go for another CDG I'd like to try something different, the CDG-driving-hex-and-counter concept seems really interesting.

There's very, very little out there on any of these topics. Bolos and Krags has been "coming out soon!" for years now, but if it ever does get published it'll probably be the only thing in print on any of these conflicts, as far as I know.

It's a good game, but extremely complex. Keeping track of all the air zones of influence, the ranges of all your opponents ships, the reaction possibilities for each attack, and so forth adds a lot of mental work to each turn. If you don't mind that, there's a good solid game in there, but both players need to be on top of the rules and focused for it to work well. I definitely think it's a multi-session game, as it can get quite mentally exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
The Blitzkrieg Legend is a great book! No idea if it's a good game at all though

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

silvergoose posted:

If you look on BGG, someone is posting their session reports of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1563/rise-and-decline-of-the-third-reich#forums

It's a fascinating read! Huge operational game for all of WW2, and they're really playing it out.

This is a really well done AAR, thanks for linking it! It actually is getting me interested in learning the system sometime if/when I have several weeks free.

Lichtenstein posted:

I'd like to take this occasion to remind/enlighten everyone about this... thing on BGG.

PS. In comments later on, the author admits to typing this... thing on an iphone.

This on the other hand is an abomination unto mankind and I barely even made it to the second bold quote before reflexively closing the browser tab to save my brain.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Honestly, speaking as someone who's been playing board wargames for a long time, I don't think they will really prepare you for HOI3 because it's a very different paradigm. If you're just interested in learning them for their own sake (hopefully this is true because they're amazing), then my go to intro recommendation is Battle For Moscow: http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=103. It's a very simple game that still has a good amount of space for strategy and introduces a lot of basic wargame concepts that will come up in other games. There's also a partial LP of it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540762 (requires archives).

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Paper Mac posted:

I think I like the positioning and movement in GoG better than NT. NT gets confusing as hell in small locales, particularly if a corps gets shattered and you have a couple of units in the approaches.

one day...

Why would you ever need a hex map of North America in a WWII game? Just for the Japanese west coast raids? Will those hexes in the great plains ever be touched by a counter? Don't even get me started on South America; not a single country there would have joined a war in that time period on the opposite side of the US. It's especially strange because it looks like they don't even bother with East Africa, which at least saw some actual fighting and could be especially useful if you're starting pre-1939 for the Italian invasion of Ethiopia (also solves Tekopo's problem of having nothing to do as Italy!)

Edit: Also, no Murmansk extension. If you're going to make the players use brain power on irrelevant areas of the map, at least that area had opposing troops in it historically

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 17, 2013

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I have Alexander, and my thoughts are similar to Lichtenstein's. Also, there's a great deal of randomness, which is probably necessary to some degree to keep it interesting, but if you don't like that sort of thing it could get frustrating. I do have to admit that the battles in Napoleon look pretty interesting - certainly more so than Alexander (roll dice to kill dudes, repeat)

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Pre-war took us about 3 hours, including setup and getting everyone together. Based on that, I'd guess the full thing will end up being around 15-ish hours total. I've only played PBEM before, so I'm not 100% sure how long a live game is going to take us.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
AV:T is basically the only working, playable, 3D movement starship combat simulator which makes it quite the unique experience.

For the guy looking for ship games: Wooden Ships and Iron Men will remind you a lot of Battletech; it's got record sheets for each ship, hex movement, and crossing off boxes as you take damage. It also includes scenarios ranging from ship-to-ship duels to Trafalgar, meaning you can choose the length of game you want. The only problem is that I'm not sure if it's readily available anywhere since it was an old Avalon Hill game.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I'm still mad at myself for putting my blitz on Belgium-Holland instead of Budapest. That mistake means I'll be at Tide 0 for the whole summer, losing out on the delay roll modifier, and that I have to keep all those units in Hungary for another turn instead of being able to send them down to Greece. Axis Tide 3 is looking pretty unlikely right now, but I think my strategic position will allow me to set up better defenses at least. It definitely looks like a game that will be in doubt for most of the war.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

RationalTangle posted:

Hope I'm not annoying you guys too much with stupid newbie questions: Are there any well-loved online retailers for these sorts of games, as well as any good brick-and-mortar stores in the western Wisconsin/Eastern Minnesota area?

Google searching the game can often find it on some of the more obscure online stores. I can give you the run-down on Twin Cities stores if you want, it could be helpful depending on where exactly in WI/MN you are

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

BrainGlitch posted:

Looking for someone to play wargames with online. Was thinking something like Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg played in real time on cyberboard or vassal over several sessions. I am willing to teach the rules and start off with the basic game and stuff. Or if you have a wargame you want to play in real time let me know. My email is 20eyes@gmail.com or just hit me up in here. PLAY WITH MEEEEE

Do you go on the IRC channel #boardgoons? There's usually a couple people on who play wargames, and it's usually easier to get a game going on there than through forums or email.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

will_colorado posted:

Matrix Games is releasing the computer version of World in Flames today :neckbeard:

You can look at the Grognard Games thread in the main games forum for reactions, but the initial reports are that it has no AI and non functional multiplayer, making it basically a $100 VASSAL module. Very disappointing if Matrix screws up the potential for more computerized versions of board wargames

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Apparently, even CSW was too modern for the A World at War people, so they have most of their discussion on a mailing list. That's right, for some people CSW represents the bleeding edge of discussion technology. I'm pretty sure this is a significant portion of what's wrong with the wargaming community.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Oldstench posted:

[*]Get a man population counter.

[*]Each Outpost in play during a VP check increases the Enemy Morale by 1 (up to a maximum of player Military Points + # of Outposts in play).

Couple rules comments on your otherwise outstanding playthrough:

1) That's actually an elder icon on the ops card (you can tell by the blue border) so you should have added an elder to passage of time, not a man.

2) There's a couple of bits of errata on the GMT page and this is one of the things that got changed - my understanding is that the increase isn't limited (and I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to pass that limit anyway since enemy morale can't be above your military at that point in the VP check procedure from my reading)

I'm looking forward to your next post!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
6-6 Military to Morale isn't that bad, since you can get it to 8 with elder actions. The real problem is the outposts: since the next event adds 2 automatically, you need to have 3 more Mil than Morale to win the scenario (One of the reasons I think this scenario is actually really hard. Another one is that with only a few standard cards, deck luck plays a much bigger role than when you do a full era.) You need to kill off the outposts, do enough planning to get morale up, and maybe hope you fully escape a raid to knock off a morale that way. It's going to be tough to fit all that into however many ops you have left.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Oldstench posted:

I only have 8 Culture, so I can only get Mil to 7.

Oh right, you bought horsemanship. You might have to fit in a passage of time too then to boost culture.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Part of that is probably because it's taking place over only 9 months, so the whole fighting on the western front is about the same period of time of one of the major Eastern Front operations. I'm not sure how well a full game would work either - you're not going to see any kind of Bulge offensive, and most of it is probably going to be primarily attrition combat around the German border until the Germans run out of troops

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Trynant posted:

I...I just ordered from coolstuff The Dark Valley and World at War. Why...what have you done to me Wargame thread?!

I'll play TDV with you on VASSAL since my physical copy will likely never see any non-solo play (but yet I still felt compelled to order it), but you're on your own with World at War and it's multiple hundred page rulebook unless I become unemployed for a significant period of time

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Looking forward to it. Does anyone here know anything about The Supreme Commander? How does it rank with other ETO games (e.g. Totaler Krieg, World in Flames)?

The only thing I know about Supreme Commander is that they had to release a massive update kit immediately upon publishing due to something going horribly wrong. I felt it wasn't the strongest recommendation, so I've pretty much avoided it after that. I'd post an AAR of my first solitaire attempt of Dark Valley, but so far I've only finished the setup...

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

What actually happened with the P500s? Print error or actual gameplay issues?

I think it was mostly printing errors, but there might have been some rules stuff in there too? I didn't really follow it too closely.

Panzeh posted:

It's kinda weird because the Soviet setup is fairly restrictive to the point where it might as well not be free, while the Axis setup is totally free.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of free setup in general because you're asking someone just starting the game to make huge decisions when they're at their least knowledgeable. Even the couple free Soviet units are challenging though, because you have to decide which holes to fill and which to leave, which isn't easy if you're not sure what a typical German attack will look like.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Panzeh posted:

I have the playtest kit for Illusions of Glory and it's looking interesting. I'll probably try getting in some games on vassal.

Nice. Looking for anyone to help you playtest?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Might be interested in Unconditional Surrender but can't really afford to get 3 games + shipping + customs.

You don't have to order 3, you can order only 1 or 2 and still get the discount

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Yeah, it's the standard block combat system of roll your pips in dice and numbers below your quality are hits

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Smoking Crow posted:

Really? That surprises me because most Americans don't care about the Eastern Front. I'd expect you all to have stormed Normandy a thousand times and only surrounded the Germans at Stalingrad a few times.

I wasn't expecting the Eastern Front to have that many games, how about ones that can do the major battles of the Eastern Front. Are there any really out there ones, like a Russian Civil War simulator or like, I don't know, a game about the Soviets in Afghanistan?

Wargamers are pretty distinct from the general American public because there's generally a base level of historical interest/knowledge among anyone who wants to play them in the first place. You can see some indication of American bias in the inordinate number of games on the Bulge, but if you want to see the Germans fight at the top of their game against a relatively equal opponent, you pretty much have to do the Eastern Front.

On the topic of recommendations, what scale are you looking for? There's dozens or hundreds of games for nearly every level of scale, from the whole war all the way down to individual guys shooting at each other. There's also a wide range of complexity (though even at the low end you're looking at 30-page rulebooks).

As for other Soviet conflicts, there's a couple games on the Russian Civil War, though it's hard to simulate well from my understanding. The two I've heard positive things about are Reds! and Triumph of Chaos, though I haven't played either so I can only recommend investigating them to see if they sound good. There's a tactical game on one of the battles in the Winter War with Finland that some people were talking up not too long ago in this thread as well.

Of course, there's always Twilight Struggle for the Cold War, though it doesn't sound like that's quite what you're looking for as that's not really about fighting so much as political control and influence.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm intrigued that in addition to the legions, Romans have auxilia troops that look exactly like the gaellic "insurgents". And apparently NPC Germani. And two different shapes of "base" tokens. And those big dong tokens, for chieftains or whatever.

What I'm trying to say is that it's cool they're apparently shaking up the formula.

Every game has tended to do pretty unique things with the formula I think - CL had the cash pieces, ADP had the Coalition player spending Government resources, FitL has cube-on-cube action and government guerillas. It's one of the strengths of the series that the system is flexible enough to handle playing with the rules like that - its honestly getting pretty close to being a genre; I'd argue that the "CDG" genre that tends to be defined by ops/event cards and point to point maps (I know they don't all fit that but it's a nice short baseline definition) has a similar definitional scope to what we would call the "COIN" genre of face up cards with ordered actions and cylinder/cube troop system.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Morholt posted:

Well VP is only one of three ways to win. In fact, when I played last week I got a (minor) victory at the end of the game in 1945, by slowing down the Soviet advance enough. It was a pretty intense game, I encircled Moscow in 1942 but kept getting events that refortified it. I never too the city. In '43 the initative dropped to Contested but I managed to capture Archangelsk and stop the Lend Lease, which meant I was able to keep the initiative until '44 when the Soviets finally started pushing back in earnest, finally breaking the two-year siege on Moscow.

I agree that it can snowball really hard if you make a mistake or get unlucky - being in Axis Collapse means that the frontline will move 4-5 hexes per turn without you being able to do anything about it.

I can finally do my effort post on my problems with TBC now that I'm back from GenCon (keeping in mind that I basically really like everything about the game except for what's in this post):

Actually, other than taking Leningrad/Moscow/Stalingrad (the "you got extremely lucky victory"), all the victory conditions depend on VP (there's an auto-win for 5 VP, otherwise at Summer '45 you check VP with adjustments for the initiative level to determine victory). The problem is that the only way to get VP is for the initiative to be 6+, and much of the initiative is random (combat markers with shifts, city draws, etc.). The game that really soured me on the system was one in which I had slightly more than the historical front line (basically +Moscow), but due to bad luck with initiative chit draws ended multiple turns on 5 and never got 6+. By around the end of 1942 therefore, victory was literally impossible (the best I could do was running out the clock with a +1 for positive initiative, which would still be a draw). Of course, since having positive initiative at endgame is basically impossible (and should be), I was pretty much guaranteed the -1 adjustment and a Marginal Defeat. I played it out for some reason and finished with the front line still slightly into the Soviet Union and received said Marginal Defeat, which felt really dumb.

I like the system, and the initiative track works well for nearly everything, except tying it to VP. I think victory needs to have it's own system separated from the initiative system because otherwise it's too swingy when each VP is critical (1 VP is a huge amount, the historical performance is something like the Axis receiving 2 or 3 VP total the entire game). If VPs were earned at around 30ish over a game, then random swing affecting 1 or 2 wouldn't be as big of a deal; if they were predictable, then only giving out 1 or 2 wouldn't matter. Ironically, the scenario victory conditions work a little better since you can also get points for taking additional hexes or ending with a higher initiative, but as it stands, the victory system basically ruins the full campaign game for me. I'm very hopeful that the 2nd edition will have a solution for this, which would make it for me the best WWII solitaire game out there.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Trynant posted:

I guess my avatar is there to answer my own dumb questions.

Pigeon aside, I think if I can grab one person to get some weekly game sessions these monsters won't be too bad. Sure this would take forever, but hey; that's how it works sometimes.

This is my goal; once I move into a house where I can leave some of these set up for a long period of time, I think I have a friend who I can convince to play at least a couple hours a week.

Alternatively, I kidnap convince Tekopo to move to the US to be my opponent.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

COOL CORN posted:

I did! I looks good.

And doh, I can't learn on VASSAL because even though I have the rulebook and playbook, I don't have the charts to resolve random cube pulls. Oh well, it can wait until I get paid I guess.

If you're on IRC tomorrow evening or possibly Sunday I can run you through a learning game if you'd like.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

Hey, Flying Colors-havers, is there a sane storage solution for this game?

I mean, damage and status tokens go into tray(s) rather nicely, but I've got no idea how to go about the ships. The "one bag per nation" way kinda sucks when you have to sort through a million British ships before each game, and you can't really sort by scenarios, as same ships are used in different ones. What should I do?

Also, I got this weird black and white foldable box/envelope kinda thing. What the hell is it? Perhaps what the Ship of the Line expansion was originally packed in? If so, how the hell was it actually used, as the folded thing does not really close at the back?

PS. Game is cool. Seems like a nice marriage of manageable gameplay and histspergin'. Some parts of the dice-rolling kinda feel like an experience generator game, but the maneuvering keeps it cerebral.

From the sounds of it, this is similar to Wooden Ships & Iron Men, so I'll give you my storage solution for that: Sort ships by nation/class/guns(last one optional, but it helps a lot if the scenarios tell you that info), then put each set into a tray slot. Then when you see a British 80-gun ship of the line on the scenario list, you have a small pile to look through to find the right one. Hopefully the games are similar enough that this will work for yours too!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Use these instead, they're more up-to-date:

Rules: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@@.ee6d6c9!enclosure=.1dda7d49

Scenarios: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@@.ee6d6c9!enclosure=.1dda7d4a

If those links don't work, they're accessible from the top of the Consimworld topic at http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?50@23.Wm1XaglIxNt.179@.ee6d6c9

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

COOL CORN posted:

Wow, I was really intimidated to get into TK, but the rules are written so well. I have a soft spot in my heart for wargames rules that lay out "okay read this, then this, then here's an intro scenario to get you going" (e.g. most GMT games).

In the book it mentions "2 maps" - is the physical Europe map divided into two parts, or is it referring to TK/DS's maps?

Each of the Europe and Pacific maps is composed of two different sheets, and the hexes are labeled according to which one they're on (so there's a Europe e0001 and w0001 and a Pacific e0001 and w0001). The split between the sheets is around Berlin on the Europe map and I think around Truk on the Pacific map.

If you're on VASSAL, the mapsheets are combined already, so you don't need to worry about that - I think the only thing it affects is the "One-map" scenarios (ie. just east front or just west front) and VASSAL is missing the aid card for those anyway.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

COOL CORN posted:

edit-- quick question, during the Reserve Movement phase (5), I can re-move all my units right? Not just ones that didn't participate in combat? I might be mixing up my ASLSK rules in here some :)

Except for those in EZOCs (because units can never enter or leave an EZOC in Reserve Movement no matter what). Troops that participated in combat will usually be in an EZOC, but if you blew a giant hole in the enemy's lines, they'll be able to use it. Also good for moving HQs around after combat.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Only ground units project ZOCs. Friendly units negate EZOCs, so the 8th is actually in supply.

You have to be careful with combinations, since units that have both 1 step and 2 steps can only combine if they are already on the board. The only legal combinations that bring off-board stuff are listed on the faction sheets IIRC.

The German 2/3 step infantry, the German 2/3 step HQ's, and the Soviet 2/3 step HQ's aren't listed, they're all just any two single infantry steps of the appropriate nationality. I think you're correct that everything else is either a 1/2 stepper or has a listing

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

I'm actually hankering to play some Vassal USE/TK. I'd need to re-read the TK because the USE rules have poisoned my mind recently. TK at least has something for the allies/soviets to do while the other is having all the fun though.

COOL CORN posted:

My brain isn't comprehending what USE is.

I'd be down for TK if you want to do PBEM or PBDropbox or something. It's rare that I have many hours of free time to do live play though :\

edit-- Oh duh, Unconditional Surrender. I'd be up for either.

I'd do a non-live game of TK anytime, and I'll have a week off at the beginning of January where I can be available for live play of anything. Unfortunately, I'll probably be too busy with the holidays to live play anything before that.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of something like that, but I don't know that many people would want to do that, considering most of the minor nations have only a handful of units.

I would be all over an AE PBP,.

I don't think there would be too many people up for playing it, so you could limit it to the big interesting ones like Italy/France/Turkey/Poland/Chinese countries (actually, that would be pretty good for simulating a lot of the issues in coordinating the nationalist army...)

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

I think I just saw a used FAB: The Bulge for 35 bucks. Please somebody tell me to calm down and stick to playing cool games I already own and don't play enough, why do I keep throwing money at this stupid hobby.

FAB: Bulge is a pretty good game actually, it's playable in a long evening and even casual wargamers can get into it pretty easily. Despite that, it has a decent amount of depth, and the asset system is pretty excellent design. Sorry for being an enabler...

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

I won't talk about general misrepresentation at length (well, I'd love to, but it'd be a long semi-masturbatory :spergin: post).

That's pretty much what this thread is here for, so...

:justpost:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I've played it before, but I could offer support if there's something that would help you run it.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

T-Bone posted:

Is the complexity on BGG accurate (3.2)? What about the playtime (120 min)? Why are you obsessed with it?

And double bonus round for anyone is there a good grand theater game that isn't Axis and Allies that doesn't take weeks to play?

No Retreat is Eastern Front only, but is playable in a (long) day. If you need the whole European Theater, maybe Europe Engulfed, but even that would take at least a few sessions to finish a game usually. If you want the whole world, then no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

bunnielab posted:

I dont even like WWII poo poo very much, I just cant find a scifi or fantasy hex&chit game.

Speaking of non-WWII games, are there any standouts in the following eras, assuming I prefer small unit tactical level games:

Age of Sail Ship Combat (I have seen a few minis games but not into that)

Wooden Ships and Iron Men is an old Avalon Hill game that despite its age is still the best game I've ever played on this topic. Not sure of its availability though. Now you've got me wanting to see if I can find my old copy because it would probably make an excellent Let's Play.

Sails of Glory probably counts as a minis game, but it's very boardgame like - it's probably most comparable to X-wing but with more detailed gunnery and damage resolution systems. Depending on what aspect of minis games turns you off, it may or may not be suitable for your needs.