Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello I am back.

This showed up recently on my facebook feed from this winter in January where it went from -30 to +12C

Suck my dick dispatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dude in a tanker just did a hit n run on me. Tore the entire front clip off the truck while trying to pass 4 of us when an oncoming car appeared...

Pics and details after my piss test.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All of our newer Kenworth trucks and our trailers are equipped with air over disc. Only issue is the pods hang down pretty low into the mud. When our trucks get pulled by dozers I could see a potential for damage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New Kenworth is overweight on the steers with an empty trailer. 5th wheel hinge pin sitting centre between axles.

What the gently caress.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Too much poo poo hanging off the engine anymore. Remember when I picked up that brand new Volvo 670 with the piss-tank? Fucker was the same way.

Yeah but what do I do with a truck that's overweight ? Also its weight restriction scale blitz right now.

Sigh. I guess I'll just run with the 5th wheel slid all the way back.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

warcake posted:

Most trucks in europe have had DEF since 2008 or so. It's mostly trouble free now, but it's one of those things that when it does go wrong, it costs a gently caress ton to put right.
Put diesel in the DEF tank? Replace all DEF components.
Put DEF in diesel tank? Only 6 fuel injectors if you are lucky.

The newest emission level has given us DEF + DPF + EGR for trucks, the exhaust is the size of 2 45 gallon drums.

There are so many plausible "mistakes" to make these days if a company decides to gently caress you over. I once got stranded on the I5 north of Portland because the previous driver of the temporary Western Star I was using decided to fill the fuel tanks with styrofoam coffee cups.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowdens Secret posted:

Is this some "I brought it back with the tanks all topped up" scam or what's going on here

The guy was doing Langley BC to Portland runs bringing back Shell Motor oil in Bulk. It was a flat rate deal and when they started enforcing hours of service via GPS E-Logs, his daytrip turned into a 2 day trip. All of the sudden $300 flat rate for a 2 day trip wasn't worth it. He asked for a readjustment in pay, they said no, and when the company sold itself to Trimac tanklines, he wasn't rehired at Trimac because of his complaints. So he took some stacks of styrofoam cups from the coffee room, jammed them into the fuel tanks, and went home.

So they asked me if I could pick up a load of motor oil, I made it down fine, on the way back I reset my hours, I slept with the truck turned off, around midnight I get up, try to fire up the truck and it wont start. I check the fuel filter and it's not getting a prime. I check the fuel tank, there is fuel, but it's also full of all this styrofoam poo poo in there.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Javid posted:

If I recall correctly and I may not, styrofoam in gas turns into a goop that's too thick for the fuel pumps.

There are a thousand creative places for things to go in a truck that end up being the next guy's problem to one extent or another, most of which are less obviously sabotage than that.

in gasolene yes. Thats a way to make homebrew napalm. In diesel it didn't seem to dissolve, or atleast didn't desolve very quickly.I wasn't down for very long, I got towed to a freightliner dealership, they drained the tanks and flushed them and had me up and running in 8 hours or so.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Street Horrrsing posted:

Hey, this is kind of an odd question that I'm ill equipped to describe.

We have air kills on our trucks, which trip at 2500 rpm, which it kills the engine.

Now when you go down the hill, the engine does the braking for you, which it drives the rpm's up. When the rmp starts to redline at 2000, I apply the brakes, lower it, watch it rise, lower it, etc. Now do I have to break, or would the engine just max out at 2000 and stay there? I've never wanted to experiment because of potentially tripping the air kill.

I've dealt with very heavy loads and very steep hills for many years, with engine brakes that work very well (dangerously well in the cold) to ones that might as well not even exist.

Engine brakes work best in the upper teens, it has to do with volumetric efficiency versus compression ratio. If I were to teach drivers how to go down hills (which I don't), I would teach them to pick a gear, and apply around 7psi of application pressure, which is around the same as putting your tow down on an egg without breaking it. If 7psi or less with the engine fan on, and the engine brake on can keep you from accelerating on the steepest part of the hill under ideal conditions (above freezing, dry pavement with good visibility) then you entered the hill at the correct speed and chose the correct gear.

Most driving schools teach 10psi as a max sustained application. Another thing to note, I believe that applying brakes, then letting off, then applying brakes to keep your speed in check is worse (as in more heat) than constant application at a lesser pressure.

It was an idea given to me by the airbrake class instructor years ago who was a grumpy old angry mechanic who had to come in and teach the class because the normal instructor booked for the day was sick.

So, if you know your truck, and know the hill, and know there isn't any danger of having an emergency stop part way down, follow the above rule (if you want). If you don't know the hill or your truck very well, reduce your speed before the hill, and coast back up to speed if you want to. If you have other trucks behind you, throw your flashers on so they know you're heavy.

Disk brakes do a better job of cooling so you might be able to get away with a bit more heat than drums.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

And I've been told the exact same thing....180 degrees different! That stab braking is better than constant braking. Here is the thing to think about though, both Jonathan and myself have done it different and made it down mountains for a long rear end time without causing fireballs or lighting our brakes on fire. So both ways work.

Also it depends on the engine and what RPM the engine brake works the best at, I remember on my old ISX cummins that they claimed to burn 650 HP at something retarded like 2300 RPMS with a 400 HP engine, so if you have an engine manual in your truck, take a peek at it and see what it says. Also, I've never engine braked at 2300, but was known to machinegun down a hill at 2100 with it hammering away no problem.

Yeah I can't argue but I wonder if there is testing somewhere that would show brake temps at the bottom of the hill. I would be pretty interested. Of course being in Alberta now we don't really have hills or turns or traffic... Some of the offroad stuff has some decent hills but nothing like the 24km hill coming out of Merritt BC towards Kamloops.

Edit: http://www.crashforensics.com/papers.cfm?PaperID=36

Interesting. If all your brakes apply with equal pressures, either method works fine, but if trailer and tractor or different relay vales crack open at different pressures due to wear and tear, stabbing the brakes works better because constant pressure braking may not force all the brake pots to do their share of the work. Stab braking will force all of them to work.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 19, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vovo posted:

So is the verdict out yet whether you should stab the brakes or not when going downhill? Not that I really need the info, I'm daycabbing in The Netherlands.
Anyway, it's been a while since nutcup posted so I present:
Truckers Delight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcXvqiho4w
(from The things you find on youtube)

Stab braking by letting it get up to your safe speed and then reducing by 5mph at a time is the best way in the real world. My suggestions were old news.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hate the side cleaners. They're noisy as gently caress with the windows cracked, especially at full boost doing 25km/h up hill. I also hate how Paccar (Pete n Kenworth) have the exhaust stacks behind the door, right in the way of the mirrors.

If I ever own my own truck, the requirements will be exhaust stacks behind cab, air filters under hood, and a way to get to the boot box and frame deck without touching the ground.

The more and more I truck, the more I miss my old 2008 Sterling day cab.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tankers that are used to haul different things don't have baffles. For example chemical haulers that use the same tanker for sodium hypo and then sulphuric. Between loads they need to be washed inside so they use a sprinkler head type ball on the end of a hose that spins and steam cleans the inside. Baffles would prevent the cleaning heads from getting all the areas.

The worst surges come from driving a 53' baffle-less tanker trailer that isn't full, down about 4' from the top. You learn to shift different. Normally you can grab the first 4 gears, then wait for the fluid to hit, then go to high range for 5th.

If you just try to row gears like a static load, the surge will cause you to lose a gear.

When you stop, you will get a minor hit, and then you will get a good hit that feels like you were rear ended by a car. Its usually not bad. There were a few over the years that gave me some temporary neck pain.

If you're going up hills and not full, the liquid goes to the back and unloads the weight from your drive axles.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Street Horrrsing posted:

Does anyone have any sweet lifehacks for cleaning truck cabs? I don't know if it's universal, but whoever decided to put grooved flooring on kenworths deserves to get stabbed.

I put the curtain down so I don't get the sleeper bunk wet, and toss everything back there. Then I get out the pressure washer wand and just spray the gently caress out of the floor with the doors open. This will clean the floor pretty drat well.

Afterwards go in with cotton cloths and dry off the seats. Then work on the dash. Basically there will be bits of sand and floor mud on everything, just wipe it down.

Lastly, do the windows with windex or whatever. Then park the truck, crack the windows and vents, set it to high idle with the floor and window defrost running on high and go home.

I don't pay for fuel and my company's policy for problem solving is just to throw money at it until it stops being a problem so YMMV.

When you come back it will be dry and clean.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I hauled 12,000kg of cement powder up north of Worsley, Alberta last night.

Got there just after a ugly thunder cloud rolled through. Reached the end of the pavement, surprise, freshly graveled road! Skipped chaining up and sped through.

3km in I crest a hill, fresh gravel ends and all the sudden its a 1 inch thick layer of wet slippery Alberta mud. The kind that snowballs on your tires and adds a platform to your boots with every step. And its slicker than Ice.

I'm only doing 30km/h (20mph). I lightly get on the brakes and the trailer heads straight to the ditch. There is a nice 90* turn at the bottom of the hill with a narrow gate to get through with a ditch on each side. I get off the brakes and get my steering back, slide to the bottom, toss the inter axle lock and both drive axle lockers on, put it into fifth, drop the clutch and pin it.

Somehow my rally move works and I drive sideways all the way through the gate and up the hill and over the crest. I'm on almost level ground. I stop, pull the tractor parking brake let off the foot brake and start to slide backwards. LoL! I blow the trailer brakes and the truck stops.

I get out and chain up in the mud in the middle of a forest, at 11pm. Triples on all my drive wheels, single on a steer and single on a trailer wheel. I had to put them on by rolling in reverse.

45 minutes later, I get back in. The mud under my boots lifts the rubber floor mat as I lift my foot for the clutch. I release the tractor parking brake, get on the loud pedal and grab gears. Trailer goes sideways right for the ditch. Doh, forgot to release trailer parking brake. Release it in time, trailer wheels start turning and it grabs traction and pulls back in line.

I crest the hill, undo my lockers so I can get some sort of steering, but its too slick. I'm fighting the steering wheel and ruts the entire time going from one side of tge road to the other. Its pretty warm so the rain/mud has turned to steam making it tough to see the ruts. I have about 3km to go, I pass a sign saying steep hill, another saying narrow bridge.

I slow to a crawl, every time I touch the brakes the trail heads for the ditch. After the bridge I see a steep loving hill with a sharp turn at the top. RAD.

I lineup with the single main forestry bridge, get my steer axle onto it, shift into 4th, toss a locker on and pin it. 2500rpm full boost chains tossing mud over the truck I slow to a crawl up the hill as the chains dig and keep me moving. I reach the top, pedal the gas a bit to get a bit of steering and make the turn.

Another km and another bridge with no guards. If you miss it to the side you're going into the drink about 20' down.

If I'm on the gas, I have no steering. If I'm on the brakes, no steering. If I'm coasting, the steer tires hook at whatever angle they're at and throw you left or right (I was losing track of how many turns on the steering wheel I had).

I make the bridge, power up the hill and make it to the drilling rig. Get hooked up to the cement bin, the loading valve is busted and won't open fully. It takes an hour to unload 12ton of cement which should take 10 minutes.

I call my coordinator, its 1:30am now. I tell him to send a supervisor up the road before they attempt to drive a pump truck in there. (They're worth 2.5mill and heavy). I head back down the road empty, get to pavement, pull my chains off while on the lookout for horny moose, bears, wild cats.

Strip off my muddy boots and coveralls and debate sleeping or making it back to the shop.

2 hours later I get to the shop, soak the truck in caustic soap, hose it down with a firehose and then hot pressure wash the tractor.

Daylight again (it doesn't actually get dark right now), park the truck, head home. Grab a sausage mcmuffin and an orange juice on the way, wash the mud out of my hair and climb into bed at 05:30am.

That was a 15.5 hour shift in total, and while not the worst of days, certainly on of the most white-knuckled.

Rained all morning here in Grande Prairie, kinda hoping there is no work to do today.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tater_salad posted:

Where's the part where you got back to your bed and nutcup gently your rear end in a top hat back loose again using the the mud from your coveralls?

The story was actually that he would use the mud left on the side of the road to sculpt mud cock n balls and then point them at his own face as other truckers drove by. It was from the old thread.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PainterofCrap posted:

Sometimes, they're suicides. Assholes.

We had one of those the other week. Driver of the frac sand hauler says he could see the guy glaring at him before impact.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fort MacMurray has those huge earth movers. Most of them have each wheel driven by an electric motor, and the diesel engine drives the generator.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The mechanical failures thread has one of those Cat Ultra class trucks which tossed an engine con-rod.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My Kenworth t800 (I think ? Whats the Canadian Market one that everyone runs?) has the loudest loving intake noise. I can't drive with the windows open without ear protection.

It's the air filter housing type where its the big can just under the mirrors infront of the door, except instead of that little grate thing beside the hood, it's two pipes leading into the engine bay.

One draws the air into the housing from under hood, and the other pipe leads from the housing to the engine air intake.

Ok but at the back of the housing, there is an open metal grate mesh that I can see into the housing, and it makes turbo whine like a motherfucker.

Is there a mod I can do to quiet this fucker down ? It's a 2001 Kenworth with a new (2012) Cummins N14 Plus (525 hp red top)

I can take pics when I get to the shop tonight.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah take pictures, I'm not sure I'm following you completely. The Petes I used to run had a Y pipe from the cans to the turbo, the cans you are talking about almost sound like the older mushroom capped ones.

https://www.texaschromeshop.com/webstore/store/catalog/39351.jpg

It doesn't look like this?

Nope.

Notice the two tubes going into the hood ? But on the backside is has an open "mesh" panel.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Isn't that....shouldn't that upper tube be used for your pneumatic trailer? What happens if you just block off the grated opening?, there isn't any mesh around that at all is there.

That doesn't seem to make any sense what so ever, unless it's sucking warm air because it gets balls cold up there. I almost want to know if there is an air filter in that can. Yeah that isn't even like the mushroom units I was thinking about.

Yup there is an airfilter. I change it every 300 hours :(

And yes it seems like a hot air intake.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The most meat I eat is Indian meat. Have you guys even been to an Indian buffet ? Its all chicken beef and goat. Indian people are the highest group in the world to have... gently caress whats that blood sugar disease where your feet fall off ? Drawing a blank due to caffeine withdrawal.

Hrmm maybe I will go out for butter chicken tonight.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thank you. How the hell did I even forget that? Not enough people dumping buckets of water about it I guess.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Pretty sure you mean HOW not DOT Indians though.

I seriously have no clue what this means. Ohhh like Natives versus People from the country India ? I meant the people from India. In Canada we call them Natives if they're the killed by Columbus type.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Powershift runs his own truck I believe, hauling water.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shadokin posted:

Someone tell me again why we work here still?

LoL I'm so glad I work where I work now. "Work as much as you want or as little as you want, run legal or illegal. Just don't loving whine if you get caught or don't make enough money to support your cocaine addiction."

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Totally TWISTED posted:

Interesting take on that. I wonder if they are a large enough company that they don't give a poo poo about the hit you could inflict on their safety scores if you got caught?

At a corporate level ? They audit every log book from every employee. At the field level ? You get fired if you stay strict to hours of service. Welcome to Alberta. In 3 years I have never run through a scale in this province, except for the AB/BC border scale.

Edit: FYI I am not claiming to run illegal or legal. My point is that it's nice to be able to tell dispatch what your next step is, not the other way around.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 6, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If the chicken trailer had a rolling self unloading floor they could just dump it in a pit at the landfill.

I bet that trailer smells just like West Coast Reductions in Vancouver. Bleh!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crankit posted:

Neato, what's the shitspreaders a specific type of horn? Does the airhorn connect to a standard air system in the truck, and have any of you guys considered horn upgrades like train or ship horns?

My father always loved that "If I had a rocket launcher, some son of a bitch would die" song. I think he took it a little too seriously and if he could have avoided jail would probably have murdered a lot of people who cut him off in traffic.

Edit: To clarify I think he would have upgraded the air horn to a rocket launcher on his Vancouver Public Transit bus.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 30, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Posting this from my purring cab behind my 2012 N14 Plus redtop.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Automotive Insanity> Photos from the road, Yeah, I'll eat that.

Canadian Idiots make the best Tex Mex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUaZjwNBRE

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't even know how to use a CB. Its all VHF up here.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

I don't see enough tire chains on that trailer, no wonder he got stuck.

I love how everything is mission critical, yet gently caress the $4/day lease mats. Clean coverall consultant cunts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ferremit posted:

Is there a reason they dont run the big 6x6 or 8x8 euro trucks up in that slop? A big 6x6 MAN or Iveco or Kamaz on lumpy super singles would have to be easier than dragging 6x4's on road tyres out with a bulldozer day in day out.

My company actually does use them in it's Siberian and Russian operations. The 6x6 super single cab-over variety. Not sure if its Kamaz, Iveco, MAN. I know it's not Tatra because if it was I would be applying for a transfer. Siberian mud is not like Alberta mud though. Siberian mud tends to be deep, but stays watery and has a ground that you can reach. Alberta mud is too thick and heavy. Even if it's only 2" thick it packs up, turns your tires into slicks and becomes more slippery than ice.

While we don't have any (we have 1), most heavy oil field hauling off road can be accomplished with bed trucks which can do a lot better in the mud than a normal tractor trailer setup. They can be set up with Jin Poles (A-frame with a turnbuckle) as a half assed crane also. It's basically a twin steer cement mixer truck chassis with a lift kit, a flat deck with end roller, and a hydraulic 50,000lb winch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVhj7MQPIfE

This video is pretty cool... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Ne26IitXc Shows a commander/intruder which is basically a bed truck, 6x6, articulated steering and monster truck tires. They have a lot of nice equipment on what looks like Alberta's nicest lease.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

In other news, the trim just fell off my sleeper windows, at 15,000 miles more poo poo has fallen off my new truck than my old truck. I'm impressed.

In the states, the EPA would poo poo about trucks playing in the mud like that.

Depends on where. There is a facebook page, oilfield fuckups. Lots of similar pictures in North Dakota, Texas etc. It's just they deal with it for a weekend, not 2 or 3 months.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tommychu posted:

Yeah, their quality really took a nosedive in the early '00s :canada:

when they moved to America ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Loading site is less than 2km off pavement
Unloading site is less than 2km off pavement.
Only 10km of pavement in between.

Dream job in decent weather. One tiny foot of snow, and it's chaining up twice per trip because the loading site is entirely downhill from the highway and the unloading site is entirely uphill from the highway.

I've made 2 trips from GP down Hwy 40 to the Husky Energy road in 2 days. 85km south of town roughly... I've toasted 2 sets of triples and 2 singles. Pure ice highway with patches of dry. Coming back this morning I had all but 1 crosslink break on a set. Jammed up nice and good in the brake drum and axle. And we buy those Trygg chains by the pallet, at $250 per set.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm 6'2" around 210 pounds and athletic build. I usually consider myself a fairly large person and this last page has made me feel small. I've got a buddy built like you guys. He has this novelty giant size beer mug that he brings camping, and when he holds it it just looks like a normal pint mug. He weighs somewhere around 350 pounds, but benches multiple reps of over 500lbs. And he downhill mountainbikes.

Also, which one of you is this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bhwC3qz_Q

Edit: For trucking content... If I can convince the murmaids that time slows down when traveling near the speed of light, maybe this logbook will make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there something to adjust so my trailer brakes don't grab so hard ? Trailer is from 1979, has dayton wheels, and no abs, shocks, or airbags.

In this ice, every time I have to slow down, it's like a loving action movie.

Edit: I mean, I suppose I could chain up the trailer... But that would require getting out of the truck and leaving Tinder alone for 2 minutes.

• Locked thread