Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

Didn't someone's wife then do that QR code in needlepoint as well?

Yeah, that was my wife, and we sold a few of them through SA Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

McGlockenshire posted:

A few months ago, we finally retired our 2005-era front-end servers.

As a half-joke, we told Marketing that we should totally put one on display in the lobby. I mean, we build servers, why not show off some of our best work, eh?

Yup.

I didn't think they'd actually do it. This is the same Marketing department that produced the annotated laptop from the last thread. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.

I like this.

On another note, I was just brought on as technical support for a software update, and I was reading through the presentation and saw a sentence that made my blood curdle: "Our dedicated test servers will become the production environment at switchover". Am I right in being alarmed, or is this a thing that's done regularly?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I only read this thread at work during office hours, so a quick sum-up:

-ICQ 7872176. Still not exploited or stolen, but I haven't used it in like 15 years.

-We have about 130 Optiplex 790. Have replaced PSU on somewhere around 5 of them, otherwise they seem rock solid. The 7010 seems pretty good too.

-SAN came back up again. It contains the storage for several of our document management systems. If the fileserver was brought back up it wouldn't connect to the SAN, and if the SAN was connected to the server, the server wouldn't come up. I don't have the exact details, as the server/storage "team" handle that sort of thing. They tend to let embarrassing poo poo slip through the cracks such as servers dropping out of the domain, full server disks etc. They refuse to use simple monitoring software such as PDQ inventory or Lansweeper or similar, as we will be on a Microsoft SCCM/SCOM platform in just a few weeks. Those few weeks have been coming for the last four years as far as I know.

-As for our software deployment where the test environment will become production, it's all done by external consultants. We're a tiny IT department, and I work in a mixed 1st/2nd line/trainer/coordinator role, so no matter how bad it fails, I'm in the clear. All I have to do is babysit some users and their computers during the deployment to check for error messages and make sure nothing blows up. Our last deployment of this software failed because of our rotten XP environment and the software needing a weird mix of Windows Updates, but this time we're on a much more solid Windows 7 platform. I get travel money, overtime and pizza for it while watching progress bars and surfing forums, so I couldn't be happier.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Crowley posted:

No, you won't get an iPhone 5S if you break your iPhone 5. We have plenty of iPhone 4s in stock, and a few boxes of old HTC Desires that will do the job just fine if we run out of iPhones.

Since Apple is discontinuing the iPhone 4 8GB (which we do have plenty of stock of) we're moving up to the brand new iPhone 4S 8GB :haw:

Using the oldest available platform available at all times keeps purchase and repair cost per unit down, maximizes device/charger/accessory compatibility, nobody is speculating in breaking their device to get a new one, and I get to see the dejected look in the eyes of the users and new employees when I hand them their iPhone 4. Also, when someone breaks their phone, we just swap it out from a pool of phones we have already gotten back from service, so there is no waiting for the users for "their" phones to come back from repair. We advise all users that we only support the functionality of the device, if they want to keep their pics, texts, apps etc they should make a backup on iTunes on a private computer or use iCloud.

No beer at work, but a coworker brought buns with custard and frosting (skoleboller) today!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I'm sick of iOS 7 updates already.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

Accepted a side job for a Macbook Air hard drive removal that the user fried in the sun.

I can't open the drat thing because I need a special screwdriver. Then when I get in I need a special PATA-ZIF converter. gently caress you Apple. Thankfully the client already replaced the machine and doesn't care how long I take as long as they get the data.

Both are available on eBay for negligible money, and the client has given you no time limit? This would be something I would celebrate for the markup I would put on it, not something I would say pisses me off :confused:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
eDOCS DM 5.3.0 here. It was hilarious when some random Windows update (my guess) suddenly caused DM to save all Powerpoint files as Excel files.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Wreath challenge accepted!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I'm scared by the number of users who fill their cellphones up with apps and other crap, and when it needs to be replaced they have no idea what an Apple ID, iTunes, iCloud or the app store is.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'd be interested to know, how has working in support situations effected how you interface with support when you need it?

I know exactly what I need to say to get exactly the parts I want replaced, and I know how to cut through bullshit troubleshooting.

Hint: Whatever you want replaced, say that you swapped it with a good one, and it worked, and the broken one didn't work on the computer you swapped it with (such as harddrives, video cards, etc.)

When they ask you to try to do a thing to troubleshoot, say "I already did that, and it didn't work"

Always say "It doesn't work in BIOS either, and it doesn't work when I boot from a Linux live CD"

External things always work when something on a laptop is broken (display, keyboard etc).

Basically, if you have a part of something that you want replaced, leave no doubt in the support monkeys mind about how and why it is broken, even if you yourself just suspect it might be broken. The techs that come out to fix it are glorified mechanics, they are just there to replace the thing, and doesn't care about diagnosis as long as poo poo works when they are done wrenching.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
And another two laptops turn into one. One of them had been ripped out of its docking station breaking both the bottom cover and the base frame that the motherboard and palmrest/keyboard mounts to, the other one had clear black spots on the LCD where someone was jabbing their finger to point at something.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Zemyla posted:

Did you do this during a lightning storm, and when you got it to work, shout "It's alive! IT'S ALIVE! AHAHAHA!"?

Also, who will be the lucky recipient of the Frankenlaptop?

I have built tons of far worse creations than this, my own Dell Studio XPS 13 is on its fourth CPU taken from progressively more powerful Latitude E6400s that have been smashed by users, second set of RAM from an E6420 and third SSD. Its WWAN also comes from an E6420. It's so old by now, but I can't justify replacing it as long as it's working.

Frankenlaptop (E6430, now with display from E6420) will go onto the pile of functional laptops that we hand out to new employees. Turnover can be brutal in periods, so we often have practically brand new equipment that has been used for a few weeks and then handed in again. It's how I'm swimming in Apple gear that nobody cares about, have an Intel 335 SSD RAID in my E6430, and how I got my iPhone 5C (the only one in the company). The RAM from the smashed E6420 from today went into my E6410 Nvidia Hackbook Pro with Intel SSD.

So bottom line, work in Big Oil.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Eemo1 posted:

rolleyes,

same category - Just got cursed at because I forwarded a caller to contact our outsourced mobile phone support.

If it has electricity, IT guys know how to fix it.

Ah, how I love being in IT.

And we also know how to get whiteboards and markers in meeting rooms (usually with smartboards already installed)

And we also know where to get business cards because

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
If I had the choice between being in a room with a monkey with a loaded gun with the safety off and being in a room with a user with a PST file, I would take the monkey every time. At least there is a slight chance you'll make it out alive.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Lacrosse posted:

I'm almost done with my 2 weeks training as a computer hardware field technician. I service warranties on laptop and desktop computers at customers' homes and places of business. Prior to this, I was doing Android/iPhone/WP8/Blackberry tier 2 tech support for a call center.

Today, we had a service request for a laptop needing a motherboard replacement whose notes said it had a 'damaged USB port'. Got onsite and looked at the laptop; the USB ports were fine, but the eSATA port wasn't. The user had jammed USB into the eSATA port.

Yesterday we had a laptop with a broken LCD right where the lid hinge is located. Looked like someone had yanked real hard on the lid of the laptop without unlatching it first.

There's this private school that we go to pretty much every day. Do not underestimate an elementary school child's ability to utterly trash a laptop.

This job seems pretty fun so far. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Most laptop eSATA ports are also USB ports these days.

We supported elementary schools where the laptops the students were supplied had accidental damage support. Laptop used for soccer target practice? No problem, have a new one!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
A laptop harddrive fails while I'm away on vacation. Now, if I were at work, I would replace the failed mechanical drive with one of the gazillion SSDs we have lying around, reinstall whatever and move on with my life.

What does it take to replace a harddrive when I'm on a weeks vacation?

Five people
Four phonecalls
Three emails
Two replacement harddrives (It's a Dell Precision)
One Dell tech
And an hour of instructions and discussion in my face when I get back from vacation.

Even though it's well-meant by all parties involved and they are just trying to help the user, I share an office with three helpdesk techs, and a floor with 12 people in the IT department. Apparently none of these people have ever encountered a faulty harddrive ever before in their career.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
RIP fellow goon and SH/SC'er Evilmuppet :( Hopefully he's in a better place now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
One of the C-levels had a conference room malfunction when he wanted to use it, and ordered a complete check of every room we have. Hello license to print OT money :getin:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Crowley posted:

Down here we won't get paid for OT. Ever!

We do however get PTO for it. Right now my coworker has 500 hours stashed, I'm sitting at 100 hours, and HR is going bonkers because accumulated PTO is counted as a debt in finance (and rightfully so). Coworker made a deal to only work four-day weeks until his hours are gone, but I'm just going to sit on mine. We have a mutual 3-month-notice clause in our contracts, and I like to be able to quit on shorter notice if I want to.

(Not actually quit before time, but give my notice, and take the last two months off while starting at a new job. Sweet double salary if I wanted to quit.)

Edit: Diddling the calculator shows that he'll be taking three day weekends for at least two years when you account for vacations, planned projects, and business trips, and that's if he can manage to avoid further OT.

We have several different models at my workplace, I'm straight salary+OT at 150%, 200% after 4 hrs or on weekends/national holidays, which means if I work a second over my 37,5 hrs a week, I start charging. If I work any LESS, I get my salary at least. I can also chose to take my OT as comp time+the 50 or 100% OT pay, but I haven't needed that yet, as I love the $$$ too much. This model suits me fine due to the ad-hoc nature of daily helpdesk work, and since I'm not involved in any long-term projects with due dates.

Other positions here have 200 hrs of OT included in their yearly contract and they don't start getting paid extra until those hours are up, and there are probably several other models mixing OT, no OT and comp time/OT pay.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The datacenter staff are being laid off. Management has decided 24x7 coverage isn't needed, at least that's what's being said. :downs: Is our monitoring solution up to snuff, as in are people actually reading the midnight/4am/etc alerts that poo poo is down? Of course not...yet. Waiting 8 weeks for an extra exchange address to create an alert account will do that. At the same I'm going to try to get the hell out of dodge to apply for a different role outside of where I'm at (security analyst instead of availability & capacity management). In talking to the director, he implied I should leave my current role better than when I started it - so that I don't look like I'm part of the "Rats fleeing a sinking ship" scenario. So my question is: how can it be anything but exactly that at this point? I'm not part of the staff being laid off, but considered part of the datacenter.

Also how can you truly quantify that you have improved your role that you are leaving when the company moves so slowly that improvement/change doesn't even happen sometimes?

TLDR: company is slow/bad, I'm moving out of the slow (but not all bad) area, that's not a bad thing, right?

The answer is ALWAYS to show the same loyalty to the company that the company is showing to you, and never more than that.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
A ticket system came in here too.

Yesterday we moved from Helpstar 2009 to Microsoft Service Manager. So far it's been pretty pleasant, and I have rewritten our intranet IT FAQ with direct links to all kinds of different requests in the web portal.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

"It's answered in the IT FAQ" :smugbert:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Reply to all with "Please summarize".

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I'm the only one on my team that has the guts to say "No. Use Helpdesk." when users try to report issues via Lync or my e-mailaddress or phone. Slowly I've learned users that they should not contact me directly, and until now contact attempts have been down to a minimum.

One of my coworkers is out sick, and now everyone who is used to just going directly to him is trying to contact me instead. Suddenly I have a ton of people I have never met or spoken to before writing me on Lync or email saying "halp, computer does not work".

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
An actually somewhat interesting ticket came in!

A lady complained that her laptop had entered sleep mode 30 times in the last 10 minutes, it happened as soon as she started typing.

Turns out she was wearing a bracelet with a magnetic clasp, and it triggered the sleep mode sensor in the palm rest. She took it off, and all was well.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
A trip to an ultramodern offshore semisubmersible oilrig came in! I jump on a helicopter next Friday, spend the weekend unplugging Windows XP computers and plugging in Windows 7 computers, and fly back in on Monday! It's like printing money :whatup:

I've been on the oilrigs before when they were docked for maintenance, but it's my first time on one that's in production out on the sea, and my first helicopter ride ever :woop:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I was supposed to be back on terra firma tonight, but then the fog came in and we had less than 650 ft/200m of visibility, so I have to spend an extra night on the rig. The upgrade to Windows 7 computers have gone tons better than I expected, everyone picked up their own computer from the store, we copied the favorites and desktops off of the old ones and onto the new ones after we connected them, and then it was just showing the people how to start Outlook and their Citrix apps. We didn't even have to deal with the leftover boxes and trash.

And oh god the food, I've been having three kinds of desserts after every meal!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I almost want to cry when I see how badly people manage to mess up our Latitude E6420 and E6430. These are computers encased in thick metal, and they still manage to bend, dent and break them. I've tried taking some dead ones and dropping them on the floor or on asphalt just to see what would happen, and the force necessary to replicate some of the poo poo I see boggles my mind.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I have a bit of a hoarding issue when it comes to old Latitudes.

It's not very long since I finally threw out all the D620/D630 based stuff.

It all still works, but they are just too slow to get any actual work done on them, so they get handed out to consultants, pop-up offices for yardstays, people who forget their laptop at home and so on.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Congratulations Blacksword and Paladine!

I'm sorry we're losing your stories, but I'm immensely more happy for your bank accounts, careers and mental and physical health!

Edit: And Crowley too!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I just got a stack of 10 brand new Latitude E6400 on my desk. They were bought for a project in 2008, used once, and then put away in a locker. I expect all the batteries to be shot after being out of use for so long, but they are pretty little time capsules.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

This Name was Planned posted:

I had a good chuckle at this post since the Dell Latitude E6400 line of laptops is still one of the workhorse laptops we use where I work. I still have about 500 Dell Latitude D630's in active use as well. Our workhorse desktops are HP Compaq dc5750's from 2006.

The joys of working for a school district... I could/should write a few posts on the things I have encountered at this job so far!

At least the D630s and E6400s are good workhorses, and very easy to service and repair. They also respond well to more memory and faster harddrives/SSDs if you can get your hands on them.

We just got our first load of the new E6440s, and the design is tons more prettier, if a bit more anonymous than the E6420/E6430. Our only 12" option now is the E7240, which is pretty nice.

We wanted to try out a couple of the E7440 14" ultrabook. Our Dell rep kept claiming that our only storage option was a PCIe minicard SSD, while I wanted a 2,5" SSD, because all the pictures I found of the model online clearly showed the space for it. We get shipped a couple of the laptops, and I tear off the bottom cover. In the 2,5" space is a PCIe card sitting in a 2,5" frame with an adapter to the SATA connector on the motherboard.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
In the future everyone will know IT and Telecom, but I will be the only one knowing computers and phones.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Make sure you bookmark this page too:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx

And Latitudes are truly great to work on and with, once you have beaten your Dell rep into submission to get the config you want.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Since the forums were down, I had lots of unproductive time on my hands, so I decided to build a proof-of-concept shitposting rig:

6 monitors on a small form factor Optiplex 7010. Runs on two of the add-in AMD cards that come with them, and two displayports on the Intel motherboard graphics.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I was asked to submit my resignation to my current employer so that my replacement could be hired when I transfer to the primary contractor on July 14. Our PM comes over to me yesterday and casually says "So, I heard you submitted your resignation. Got any plans after you leave?" and my heart stopped for a second until I realized he was having a little fun. He cracked a smile and started laughing when he saw my expression. I swear, I almost had a heart attack on the spot.

Was the paperwork for you moving to the primary contractor not in place BEFORE you were asked to submit your resignation?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
IŽll make a wild guess that this leaves about 99% of possible keylogging attacks still possible.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I had to go to the office at 9PM yesterday (Sunday night) to hand over an iPhone to a VP who was travelling. That's during the World Cup Finale. I'm not a football/soccer person, but I'm writing overtime hours like someone who cares about the world cup would.

Edit: And I got poo poo because we only had the corporate-mandated iPhone 4S 8GB in stock, and not the iPhone 5S that we are not allowed to buy.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
gently caress printers

A brand new HP CM4540 MFP worked for two-three days before it broke down and wouldn't detect its own harddrive.

We now have a printer with an Intel 520 SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Nobody came in all day. So after lunch I cleaned my desk and went on my 4 weeks of vacation!

• Locked thread