Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Lord Dudeguy posted:

"Sean Connery" VoIP problem

loving Microsoft support. Opened (and paid for) a ticket for Unified Messaging "Sean Connery Mode". Noted my availability in the ticket, and that I preferred to be contacted by e-mail. After two weeks and three after-hours phone calls (that I didn't answer), he finally calls me for the "intro call".

:haw: "Ok just e-mail me a quick two-sentence summary of the issue with as much detail as you can."
:confused: "I have all the details in the ticket, as well as a link to the TechNet thread I posted in, with even more detail."
:haw: "Oh we never check the tickets or the forums."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Fortis posted:

VoIP Issues

- "The phone sounds funny" = I can't adjust to the fact that these phones use Wideband audio and sound amazing.
- "The phone beeps 4 times before ringing" = The phone beeps 4 times before ringing. (gently caress you, Lync certified phones, not being fast enough to negotiate codecs)
- "Voicemail doesn't work" = Exchange UM doesn't transcribe this voicemail from a guy with a stutter properly, and I can't be bothered to listen.
- "The phone sounds warbly" = OK they may have me on this one. I don't notice anything, but CoS is only enabled on our branch routers, and not our datacenter router. I'm fixing that.
- "This is too complicated" = I can't bother to learn new things/It's easier to not do any work and blame IT for the loss of productivity.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Scikar posted:

This might sound weird but check the handle count for the services on your edge server. We had this exact issue but we noticed it went away if we rebooted the edge, and on closer look when it happened the service would completely lock up if you tried to restart it and there was an obvious handle leak in the service executable. The only fix was to reboot the box entirely. We reported it to MS but they wouldn't look at it until we had everything patched, which we couldn't do due to issues with our combined 2010/2013 environment. It went away at some point but I'm not sure what the permanent fix was.

Oh my god...

The team was mentioning that during an edge outage the phones were dialing great. I didn't believe them.

I'll try bouncing the edge tomorrow. Why in the hell would it do that? I have federation disabled.

:edit: 6,100 handles for System process. Restarted Lync services and it dropped to 5,100 handles. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 8, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Scikar posted:

It's definitely a weird one, we couldn't believe it was the edge either. I spoke to the lync guy just now and he says the root cause was DNS, we had old entries from our 2010 environment that weren't updated for the new 2013 servers. Instead of failing gracefully it causes the system handle leak on the edge and leads to the dreaded beeps. He spotted the incorrect entries while looking at something else in DNS, updated them and we haven't had a problem since.

I bounced the Edge box and even threw more CPU horsepower at it. No dice.

I'm wondering if sending the Edge to our DR pool would make a difference. DR phones don't have the beep, but production ones do.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I bounced the Edge box and even threw more CPU horsepower at it. No dice.

I'm wondering if sending the Edge to our DR pool would make a difference. DR phones don't have the beep, but production ones do.

gently caress

After a knock down, drag out :sotw: fight between my boss and I, where I insisted the Edge services were working OK and he begrudgingly started calling Polycom for a possible refund...

... it was the Edge. There were no static routes for our VoIP VLANs on the Edge LAN interface. Wasted a Software Assurance ticket with MSFT to tell me that.

loving hate humble pie. I like the peg that I'm on. gently caress getting taken down a few.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Scikar posted:

Out of interest, what made you put VoIP on its own VLAN? One of the things our networking guy liked most about going for Lync with the better Polycom handsets was the fact we didn't need QoS any more with RTAudio, so the phones don't need to be on a separate VLAN. There's one site with a 1Mbps connection but calls on that site are rate limited with CAC to 128kbps total and that's all we've needed.

It's one part prior configuration by AT&T (using Avaya IP Office), one part CoS convenience. The guys here have an old-school mentality where VoIP and Data were always separate to prevent "cross-chatter". Considering "REBUILD EVERYTHING" wasn't really in the scope, I just kept going with that.

It also made it easier when I told AT&T "just put these subnets on highest priority". The branch locations are all on single T1s, so a butterfly landing on a nearby telephone pole would cause call distortion otherwise. CAC wasn't going to save us when a user sent a massive file copy over-the-wire.

To be fair, I've got these phones on the same VLAN now, but separate subnets on /24 (huge deployment help using the network pass-through on the phone), so they don't actually function as separate entities until they hit the MPLS network.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 9, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Our ideal candidate is probably a senior help desk person:
1. who isn’t looking to be a CIO in 5 years

And I'm out.

blackswordca posted:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

Experience with AS400, Windows 2003, XP

Out again. "We will fight infrastructure investments tooth and nail. How's that hypertension treatin' ya?"

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Anyone else feel like this is your job sometimes always?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Nope, it's more like this. 8 hours a day, everyday, even on days off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCniMXdbO6c

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Caged posted:

It's so badly looped :argh:

There's a better one but I couldn't find it. :(

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Caged posted:

The talk of PBX made me assume Lync Voice, which is E4 and requires a not insignificant amount of on-site infrastructure. It's definitely not a simple product to deploy.

Truth. A single fully-featured Lync 2010 Standard (with Enterprise Voice) environment is:

4 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server
1 SIP Router
1 Session Border Controller

Without Enterprise Voice:

3 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server

It's pretty drat massive.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Today we moved over half our branch locations to Lync 2010 from IP Office.

Lots of tickets came in:

"I can't put someone on hold!" - Push the hold button. It's right there. Says "HOLD".
  • "I wish Lord Dudeguy would have sent us a picture of the hold button instead of just telling us to push the hold button." - UGG! FIRE BAD!
"I wish IT would have sent us some documentation before launching this." - Sends copy of documentation sent to all branch locations last month.
  • "I wish Lord Dudeguy would have just written us a new document instead of pointing us to the document he sent us before." - UGG! FIRE BAD!
"Why do we need new phones, anyway?" - UGG! FIRE BAD!

"I'm going to keep using the Avaya phones. I'll talk to VP to make sure you don't take them." - UGG! FIRE BAD!

"My branch has been slow for months and has repeatedly opened tickets and called the helpdesk." - Checked tickets, checked call logs, checked with employees. No contacts made. Sent info to VP.
  • "Oh I don't believe any of that. I'm sure they contacted you even if they say they didn't." - UGG! FIRE BAD!

To be honest, this (and all the silly whiny complaints) was no different to the adjustment the company made to Exchange/Outlook (from Groupwise), but loving christ does it wear down morale to the point where I just want to stare like a zombie at the ceiling for 8 hours.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 11, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Caged posted:

I worded that badly - do you still install 'traditional' AV or is there a better way to approach that when you're doing VDI?

VMWare vShield and a compatible antivirus suite (Trend Micro has one) is how you do it. The ESX host does all the work across the entire datastore, so you don't install (and execute) an agent per-VM. Saves big on IOPS on your storage, that's for sure.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 12, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

vibur posted:

I've seen a $1B/year company use nothing but SonicWALLs.

Ok. I'll bite. What's wrong with SonicWALLs? (Yeah I'm a CSSA my company paid $400 for me to guess all the answers correctly).

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Renegret posted:

I bet it was made in the USSR. That should have raised a red flag :colbert:

Goddamn it I'm not supposed to laugh at that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Dudeguy

blackswordca posted:

Dudeguy

lampey posted:

Dudeguy

NOT ME! THIS IS ALL BLACKSWORDCA'S FAULT :smith:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
I know that DHCP superscopes are generally a result of sloppy VLANing, but holy gently caress did they save my rear end today. (VLANs were merged together resulting in two subnets living together with two ip-helper interfaces. DHCP set up with one scope per subnet, no superscopes. Broadcast ACK/NACK stormin' ahoy! Laptops dropping left and right. Mass hysteria!)

Next step, LLDP on all our switches so I can segment our subnets again (VOIP/Data), and all will be right in the world.

Also, VOIP phones can tag their own packets! :psyboom:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

GreenNight posted:

As far as I know you can't mirror your desktop via Chromocast. He wants to use it for Powerpoints and so forth without connecting the HDMI or VGA cable.

The other problem with Chromecast is that it doesn't play nice with our wifi setup.

Chromecasts can do desktop streaming, but it's flakey as all hell.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

A ticket went out from my coworker, inquiring why gmail and other webmail clients have been blocked, when we do sometimes use them for legitimate uses for testing the email output from our system.

The response: There is no legitimate reason for us to use webmail clients, the only reason we would be using them is to send out secure company information.

This place is rapidly approaching corporate hell levels I feel...

Sounds like someone just got audited. We're going through that now, as well.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

As in from like... NT4? O_o

Yeah that's not an "upgrade" as much as it is "Install new domain and abandon old one".

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Nagios reports that the chiller inlet temperature is 512C. Either the environmental monitor is on the fritz, or the datacenter is on fire. :v:

Maybe it's just lp0.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

tehloki posted:

So, I'm looking for something to replace our old sonicwall that can handle multiple subnets, internal and external firewall rules, DMZ, etc. Are the newer sonicwalls worth the price? Their recommended replacement for a 4100 pro is this http://www.sonicwall.com/us/en/products/NSA-E8500.html but that seems like overkill even to me, and finance would absolutely never approve it. Is there a new favorite firewall/router manufacturer I should look at?

For 200 wireless devices and 100 wired, plus WAN? Overkill. SonicOS devices are, features-wise, identical as long as you pay the licensing costs. It's all about capacity.

A TZ215 at minimum, maybe a NSA 220?

How much throughput are we talking, here? Connections/Sec and Mbit/sec?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Sun servers...

Stop it, I'm gettin' misty.

:edit: Seconding Dell. I've used HP and IBM before as well, wasn't as impressed.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
No pizza box, no dollars. :colbert:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

The problem with lync is it allows people to talk to me when I am busy. disconnects VDI thinclients when you use Attendant Mode Response Groups

My hell.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

If my current place didn't use a ticketing system that they were totally entrenched with, I'd be suggesting RT.

Same here. A little perl knowledge and you go from a Simple Ticketing system to an automated, audited, end-user method to create users, give share access, schedule reboots, etc.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

BMC Track-It

Good for IT, bad if you want to customize it, really bad if other departments want a piece.

BMC Footprints is what happens when other departments want a piece, but won't tell you which piece. You can cross-departmentalize tickets and heavily customize/create automated workflows, but only if the departments use similar fields/keys.

"But my department is special!" and then it all falls to poo poo.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Entropic posted:

email is terrible '80s technology that ought to be rebuilt from the ground up but sadly we're stuck with it.

As far as technology rebuilding is concerned, Faxing gets redone first.

... though that'd probably be e-mail.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Just made a sweeping change to our DHCP setup (2000+ reservations converted to dynamic pools, using server and policy-based MAC filters - thanks, Windows 2012!).

I backed everything up with export-dhcpserver, but I sincerely hope I didn't gently caress up. :ohdear:

Also, Windows 2012 offers DHCP failover and/or load balancing. :slick:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

DHCP failover is something I need to look at. Just built a pair of 2012 R2 DCs, that would be a nice thing to have.

They make it pretty easy:

- Right click the scope
- Configure Failover
- Enter IP of partner server
- Define who the primary is, the kind of failover you want, whether you want it to automagically fail at an interval (why?), the shared secret password :ninja:, and the % of the pool you'll gift the standby server for quick-fail
- Apply

Now, rebuilding a pool (or making a grand sweeping change like I just did) will require you to deconfigure failover (which deletes the scope from the partner server), and reconfigure it. But, they save your prior configuration settings so you can just refer to that when you start the process over.

It's fairly effing spiffy. Personally, I'd rather do that than the Microsoft-recommended DHCP Relay Agent method (if I had a server at every site) for multi-site DHCPing.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

incoherent posted:

Ebenezer CE/FO has seen the error of his ways. NOW ON TO NT->2000->2003-2008R2->2012R2 domain migration!

e: you must keep the domain, if only for the insane whencreated attribute.

Tried this once (NT4->2000->2003->2003R2), except the NT short name had a special character in it, so Windows 2003 choked.

Had to build a new domain from scratch. I was much happier with that outcome.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

m.hache posted:

You must refer to your spam filter now as "Dick Stomper".

Paging Dick Trauma to the thread, please..

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know the details of your environment, but here's how I troubleshoot that kind of problem:

First, I use a program called lockout tools. I think Microsoft has it somewhere on their site.

You type in the account and it'll give you information on every domain controller that includes the last time a bad password was used.

With that information, you can check the event logs for that DC at that specific time and with any luck, find the source of the invalid password attempt.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18465

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

jadeddrifter posted:

Companies don't have to give holidays off.

My company's in an uproar right now because they went from [10 Holidays + 1 floater + 10 PTO + 5 Sick] to [9 Holidays + 1 floater + 10 PTO + 5 Sick].

Whatever shall we do?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'd say SFTP but I can only imagine trying to walk a non tech through using Filezilla.

ZendTo. If they can't figure that out, then USB carrier pigeons.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
"The VPN address pool is empty."

Looks like the staff decided to peaceably protest the "All staff must report in this morning while it's blizzarding out" order.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
I love my local news website comments. A lot of "Small business owners" who complain every time the governor issues a driving ban, complaining about how he's stealing money out of their pockets, etc. etc. etc.

I always ask them to out themselves so I can avoid doing business with them. They never bite.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
A roof leak came in...

Right on top of our primary server room and telco DEMARC points. The metric fucktons of snow plus periods of above/below freezing temperatures managed to open a roof seam and the roof wrap is now bulging like a water balloon.

Racks, battery and equipment within the "splash zone" are now draped in tarps. One large tarp is diverting the leak into a 50 gallon barrel.

This is not "other duties as required", goddamn it.

:edit: Why wasn't a company called in to shovel the roof? I can't an$wer that que$tion.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Welp, one of my guys just learned the hard way that you never operate as root, and that maybe you should wait and review a command before hitting enter.

At least I saw him do it and we were able to correct it before it became a problem.

I'm a root addict. :(

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

They pay for everything via paper check, that they fill out at the register. Whenever anyone asks why they don't switch to using a debit card instead, they tell you that checks work just fine and are more secure.

Had to explain this to my wife earlier.

"You can't use steam to open an encrypted transaction, unlike the envelope you just put our mortgage payment in." :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

It seems fun yet daunting. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a prime opportunity to order one "spare" and use it for "training purposes".

:edit: And by "training purposes" I mean motherfuckin' Tetris tournaments everyday.

• Locked thread