Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

OUTAGE NOTIFICATION REMINDER: Wednesday 8/14/13 Noon – 5:00pm

With the IBM onsite service technician’s assistance, Systems Administration needs to replace system boards on our five IBM x3630M4 servers.
The servers are:

NETMO8
xxxDNS1
xxxDNS2
DC1yyy
DC0zzz
This outage totally isn't why some users suddenly lost the ability to authenticate or translate domain names, it must be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bobua posted:

What's that joke about the broken down car that the IT guy wants to push back up the hill to see if it breaks down again? After hours of troubleshooting a problem with vmware converter I quickly reran through it to generate an error log and it magically started working. I SPECIFICALLY made no changes to what I had just done just to get the log:(

The difficulty of solving an IT problem is directly proportional to the number of browser tabs you have open. "Problem solved..." *closes 173 chrome tabs*
I just had a user call in because she was getting out of memory errors, but it was just one tab. In IE8. At the Yahoo! front page.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Nope. If any of you have ever heard of my company I'd be shocked as all hell.
I think half the people in the thread work for these guys.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Factory Factory posted:

That's actually a way to make use of more than 4 GB of RAM on 32-bit operating systems.
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Kaspersky blocked this website because it's a "phishing website" :downs:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Yesterday, the network went down at one of our "remote" sites. It's ten miles away, but it took an hour before anyone looked at the ticket, and another half an hour for someone to drive down there. About 12 hours later, we got the message from the networking guy that it had been fixed by upgrading some switches, and this morning the sysadmin lead confirmed that it was back up.

It went down again when people started showing up for work, and here's what happens when you traceroute one of the workstations:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Labor day isn't until next week, you guys :rolleyes:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg posted:

Our local FD just got all new iPads with this software that can query a database and display the floorplan inside.
When I worked for a city at my last job, the fire department wanted to buy this augmented reality app for their iPads to set buildings on fire for training scenarios :shobon:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

I dont really want to make my boss mad at me.
So it was your boss?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

We are in the process of cleaning out our storage area and came across an old computer tower. I would like to send it to IT to have whatever is on it saved on CDs (or whatever is available) and then have it wiped and surplused. Computer tag number 05852
Contemporary desktop inventory tag numbers are in the 25,000s. This tag isn't even in our "inventory database", but judging by the other desktops around that same tag number, it's probably a GX240 and around ten years old.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
They took down this server last night and didn't bring up one of the disks until this morning, but, uh, who the gently caress partitioned these disks and why

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've seen that one, but I'm still been using the original one. Is it as good as it claims?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I am sick and loving tired of printer issues. What in the gently caress makes you think it's okay for a Business Inkjet 2800 to use the loving driver for a loving Color Inkjet cp1700?

I found a ~secret driver~ on HP's ftp site, from HP's support forums, from a bunch of people who were having the same issues we were having, but we can't use that driver because it might be a "local only" driver, which won't work unless the printer is connected via USB. What in the gently caress

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 4, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wagonburner posted:

You should have your boss and facilities guys BAN personal printers. Mine did little over a year ago. It's been wonderful. :smug:

I'll never forget the sight of a PM walking around the floor with a big cart like the "bring out your dead" guy seizing everyone's inkjets and LJ2100s.
These aren't personal printers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lum posted:

You should ban inkjets too.
Yeah, we should. The color laserjets are probably too expensive :downs:

Wagonburner posted:

I mean personal-sized printers, people didn't bring them from home. Surely these aren't networked? Please tell me they're not.
Okay, I won't.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Due to a hardware problem, with the actual IBM blade server, [server] went off line. Initial trouble shooting was non-conclusive as to what the problem could be. After 3 reboots of the server, the physical blade hardware would no longer finish a power up boot cycle. [Drew] provided a working replacement blade. Qlogic cards were swapped, and the new hardware was booted.

Once the new hardware was up and running, there was a conflict with network devices which took a while to get resolved.
Awesome troubleshooting, guys. And it was only down for a two and a half hours! High-fives all around.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

I am sick and loving tired of printer issues. What in the gently caress makes you think it's okay for a Business Inkjet 2800 to use the loving driver for a loving Color Inkjet cp1700?

I found a ~secret driver~ on HP's ftp site, from HP's support forums, from a bunch of people who were having the same issues we were having, but we can't use that driver because it might be a "local only" driver, which won't work unless the printer is connected via USB. What in the gently caress
Thank god one of the affected users has local admin rights, because I was able to install the printer driver on his computer and now he's able to print in both color AND in 11x17. It is completely unexpected that the correct drivers for this printer are able to make the printer function as advertised!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bort posted:

Better try -h 300 just to be sure.
Windows won't go up to 300, unfortunately.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nativity In Black posted:

Does Win 8 not have a log off option? I click power and I have sleep, shutdown, restart.

This is seriously the least intuitive OS I have ever loving seen. It's like you click the right maze to find the control panel, do something, go through the same maze and get a completely different set of options with no Control Panel to be found.
According to Microsoft's site, it looks like you're supposed to use the user element in the Start menu to log off or switch users.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Our secondary DNS server doesn't resolve names. It doesn't even resolve its own hostname.

Technically this wouldn't be that big a deal, except the shitlords in charge of the network are totally willing to reboot the primary DNS server on a whim without notifying anyone, because the secondary exists.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A receptionist has to make a spreadsheet with a list of names on it. She wants the first letter capitalized, and the rest of the name lowercase.

She doesn't want to use the shift key.
You mean like proper()?

dorkanoid posted:

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))&LOWER(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))
:eng99:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dorkanoid posted:

you can probably tell that I work in an environment where I see "clever" solutions in excel all the time.

my favourite quote: "what? you can only have 8 IF()s nested?!"
To your credit, I did check to make sure proper() was actually a function in Excel 2003, but god help you if you're using an older version than that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

blackswordca posted:

Huh.. weird situation has come up and my google fu is failing me

I have a user who is connecting to a VPN then accessing shared folders on the VPN'd server. When they try to access a network share by a NET USE or NET VIEW command they get an error that access is denied. If you try to manually browse to the address by going \\SERVERIP it says the path doesn't exist. The server pings without a problem. I had the issue originally a few weeks ago and after a couple hours of testing I found the solution. There was a registry key:

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HWOrder with the Provider Order string listed like this: RDPNP,,,,LanmanWorkstation,webclient

I played around with the key a bit, set it to: RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient and I was able to access shared folders without an issue. Today the customer is having the same issue, check the registry settings and the extra commas are back. I checked the event log and nothing is jumping out at me and the customer claims he hasn't installed any new programs or made any changes. I gave his installed programs a quick look I don't see anything new installed. AV scans have been run and come up clean. Part of the issue is this user is offsite and uses a BYOD notebook for work. This is a different client than I normally support and is standard procedure for them.

Any thoughts at all?
Run procmon and find out what's changing that key? You can set it to enable boot logging in case it's a startup script or something.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This is why you don't give users admin rights.

quote:

Clint cannot some help programs such as Windows Help. We may need to replace the help executables (winhlp32.exe or hh.exe) …
edit: This guy isn't in IT.

quote:

I have done some research and tried troubleshooting Clint’s computer. I was able to re-register hhctrl.ocx (help program related) successfully. But that did not solve the problem. When I tried to replace those executables, it said the program is in use even though no program was started. I thought Help Desk staff may have a better idea how to fix this type of problems or more rights than myself… We do not want to reimage it ( I believe that just provide a fresh copy of the system and would not include all custom settings or programs) .
:psyduck:

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 25, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_71 posted:

I love when users ask you questions that simply don't make any sense no matter how you parse them. I had somebody this morning asking me about what IP address her e-mail was tied to, and if that could be the problem with her cloud syncing.

I don't even know where to begin responding to that sort of thing.
As much as I want to know why Windows Help isn't working, or why he thinks Windows Help isn't working, or why he thinks that replacing the executables will fix things, the policy is that if they get admin rights, they lose support outside of a reimage. For some reason, they never want to do that when something breaks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, and to everyone saying how easy DNS is: check out the A records for "wc-roads.com" right now.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zorak of Michigan posted:

But the original mockery was about A records, not NS records.

code:
C:\>nslookup
Default Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com
Address:  8.8.4.4

> set type=A
> wc-roads.com
Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com
Address:  8.8.4.4

Name:    wc-roads.com
So the A record exists, but does not have an address attached. That's different.
This is what I was pointing out :eng99:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A policy change came in, because our Exchange administrator is unable to configure a user's access to a shared mailbox after receiving multiple work orders to do so:

quote:

All calls related to Outlook issues that cannot be resolved at the Help Desk will now have to be assigned to field support so they can verify that the issue does not reside at the user's end. Please be sure that all troubleshooting steps by the Help Desk and Field Support have been documented in the work order before it gets transferred to the SA team.
:negative:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wintermuteCF posted:

You know, I think if you set up some sort of donation site, just about everyone in this thread would kick in a dollar to help fund your well-deserved "Welp, looks like it's gently caress This poo poo O'Clock" bender.
I'd be way more willing to donate to a fund like this than to buy a bottle opener.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I got in a "fight" recently with the guy in charge of our big rear end company's entire hardware line.
I, too, have to put up with cargo cult sysadmins with seniority.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pudgygiant posted:

It's not the help desk- I'm a network engineer. These are getting elevated from the help desk :suicide:
Then it sounds like a training issue and you should bring it up with their boss.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

The CFO came to me because he was trying to install something and doesn't have admin rights. So I walk down to his office to take care of it and see what he's installing:

LEAGUE OF LEGENDS :stare:

Turns out our company is looking to do some sort of business with Riot and he said he wanted to understand what Riot's big product is. At least that's his story...
Did you berate him with meme humor and racist comments until he left?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
April Fools came a little late this year: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6zYkGxOB73STjAtOU9TRUliWnM/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A user reported that e-mails to outside users this morning were never received. This user then tested with delivery receipts, and they didn't even get delivery receipts. If you assumed this might be because e-mails are getting held up by our Barracuda appliance or the Exchange server, you'd be wrong! Here's what our Exchange admin had to say to the user:

quote:

Read and delivery receipts are very unreliable when sending outbound email and you shouldn't count on them for your work process. I tested my Frontier and Gmail accounts requesting read and delivery receipt requests with mixed results.
No read receipts came back. The delivery receipt from Gmail took over 20 minutes, the delivery receipt from Frontier came back immediately. Each domain is deferent depending on their email settings with some domains not allowing read receipts.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

evol262 posted:

If you mean the "I don't know how to use vim/emacs so I use a memory pig to autocomplete System.Utils.Microsoft.Namespace.Craziness.Method.Name.For.Spergs(h, u, g, e, l, i, s, t, o, f, a, r, g, s)", I mostly think they're irrelevant for new developers, who should never be working in a language/library so big they can't keep it in their head and need to rely on autocomplete.
Wait, are you trying to make an argument against designing anything in an IDE in favor of using vim/emacs?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Acid Reflux posted:

Sort of a cross-thread thing by now, but poo poo that's not pissing me off today: catching up on this thread, and seeing Lum and Sirotan being the only two people who ever seem to be able to spell "HIPAA" correctly. Thank you, ladies. :)
I've given up trying to correct people, but Lum isn't even American :smith:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
An e-mail came in from the webteam asking us to open a work order to the sysadmins to "append index.cfm" to some webpage, because a URL we sent out was coming up with a 403 error. The sysadmins got that e-mail, but when they got the ticket they complained via reply-all that the helpdesk shouldn't have sent them that ticket.

The error they reported is that "https://domain.tld/site/" doesn't work, and want to make it "https://domain.tld/site/index.cfm" instead. I don't know what the webteam thinks that entails, since they admit that the virtual directory has index.cfm configured as the default document. The actual error is that "https://domain.tld/site" doesn't work, and throws a 403 error. To their credit, they did figure that out on their own after about 40 minutes.

edit: And now they've broken "https://domain.tld/site/" for reasons I can't explain, but the error message suggests that there may no longer be a default index document.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

teethgrinder posted:

I laughed ... but then I looked it up out of curiosity and was shocked to discover they still make/support it.
If you think that's bad, they're using some ancient version of a CMS that isn't being supported by the vendor, but "requires" Firefox 3.6. They've decided that the version of Firefox that we roll out will be 3.6.28, and it's not up for debate. The only difference that anyone's been able to identify between this version and an ESR release is that some calendar drop-down doesn't populate automatically in later FF versions, so they have to make a few more clicks in a certain form. That's not a joke.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trastion posted:

LinkedIn trawls your mail contacts WITHOUT your permission. This just came to light a few weeks ago. A lot of stuff on it from the last month or so

Edit: They added a "feature" to do this and it is on by default without asking/warning you about it.
Maybe you're talking about this class-action or this blog post, but I'm pretty sure it's because people are mashing the the "Add to Network" button when they sign up without thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

Anyone know if Kaspersky is any good at stopping it yet?
Not yet, but I can't wait to find out :shepface:

• Locked thread