Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have 3.11 on my phone (through DOSBox), just so I can freak my brother in law the artist with a functional Photoshop Install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Migishu posted:

I keep a "running" version of Starcraft on my phone, just to freak people out.

Technology is amazing.

I should install Orcs and Humans.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Allow Malware sites?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sneakers/trainers just look less professional when dealing with clients/users/whatever, it's not totally unreasonable to want an employee to wear something else. There are plenty of black or brown rubber soled shows that basically feel like sneakers without making it look like you're coming back from a jog.

I've quit jobs because of mandatory ties.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dravs posted:

A ticket came in... from home.

My wifes backup drive for her photography business failed. Of course the drive that had all of the original data on also failed 6 months ago and she never thought it might be a good idea to keep the backup data mirrored somewhere else since it was now the only surviving copy.

The is, of course, entirely my fault and now my problem.

Does anyone have any experience with Crashplan or any cloud backup solutions? any recommendations?

Crashplan is great and reasonably priced. It's saved my rear end a couple of times now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
We have always been Ticketed from Oceania...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Bite your tongue!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I drink nothing but instant coffee. I know I know I am defective.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I have a couple of OS 9 machines I occasionally fire up and get much the same.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

dennyk posted:

That sounds like it's more of a "gently caress, MSPs are expensive, surely we can find some broke college kid to do this stuff for ten bucks an hour instead..." situation.

I made a good living doing this for about 6 years in Madison. My clients were independent Real Estate agents and mom and pop convenience stores mainly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I live in Berkeley. It's been in the high 60s - low 70s this week.

Also, are you a Harp Seal Sirotan?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I have an Illustrator '88 manual around here somewhere.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I did a lot of Open Firmware coding in Forth on the G3 and G4 Macs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That's a Chrome thing I seem to remember.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
IT means Instant Therapist? I did not know that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in:

"The CD drive in my computer fell out of place?"

In their defense the drives in these Precision T3600 series towers are incredibly flimsy. I felt like I was going to break the replacement drive while testing it.

I had one that on ejecting just kept going until the tray fell out. (The motor shorted and the retaining clip snapped.) A one in a million and one of the most surreal things I've seen hardware do.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dick Trauma posted:

Hands up if you ever used an s-video cable in place of an ADB one, or vice-versa.

All the loving time...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

:3: :3:

My office manager agrees that having a bunny around is a great idea...

My office manager.

(I telecommute)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dodgy Graphite posted:

it wasn't my fault, for gently caress's sake

:vince:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

Long story short, the lead anchor can't get something working on a website.

I get up there and start looking for a workaround and the anchor starts sighing and huffing.

Then I notice an awfully warm breeze coming from under the desk. loving space heater.

Then she lets out another huge sigh and says, "I really don't have time to deal with this right now."

"Fine," I replied, "Neither do I."

I bent down, grabbed the heater, and walked off. gently caress your high school prima donna attitude.

BONUS!! Convinced the GM we need to start budgeting, at the very least, user computer upgrades. Meeting tomorrow with GM and Chief Engineer to decide how to proceed. I'm not backing down on this.

It's the loving middle of July! Why is there a goddamn space heater on at all? :catstare:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Start selling IT assets/Office furniture?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fil5000 posted:

If those Dell 1920x1200 monitors embarrass my grandchildren then I'll disinherit them. Those things are sweet.

Dell 2407WFP-HC 4 LYFE!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Aunt Beth posted:

A puppy came in....

Bernie!!!! :woop:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Bugs Meany broke your systems?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Check the Tigers' clubhouse and look for cherry pits and stems...I am really loving old.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Merijn posted:

Go larchesdanrew! :woop:

Go Go Go!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

I've done that. I figured that in 2011 a PowerMac G4 running 10.4 and a third-party FTP app should be well-nigh invulnerable. We did have one recurring attack on it. Random European IPs would try and log in to ftp as "Administrateur" exactly 50 times a night. Those guys had the worst botnet.

I'm still running my outward facing fileserver on 9.2.2 off a G4 550. That thing is unkillable.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

lodewijk posted:

Problem: Phone is broken.
Resolution: Informed user that this was impossible, since he was calling me.

Gold.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

alg posted:

Wizgonzin is a terrible frozen wasteland 6 months a year. As a former Michigoon it would be a tough sell moving there.

I loved living in Madison. I went to High School and College there and finally moved away to be closer to my 80 year old mom in California. It does get frozen and cold, but it is a pretty awesome place to live.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
SunTrust backed down and pulled that clause.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

jaegerx posted:

I have a 3 foot commute. Bed to desk. It's rough.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In my mental image he's using a nailgun.

Low Temp Hot Glue sticks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

I wish I were still naive enough to believe that one day someone could invent a non-lovely printer.

My Laserwriter 2100TN is still doing just fine.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Potato Salad posted:

Some peak William S. Burroughs

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Frequently disguised as something else though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Quote is not edit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Renegret posted:

"what the gently caress is a larch"

oh my god this is amazing. Colorfinger needs to stop doing his thing on nights I have to go to bed early :(

"It's not in the urban dictionary...This some obscure poo poo..."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alighieri posted:

Talking about old obsolete hardware.

Went back to Fry's Electronics recently to grab something quick that couldn't wait for amazon prime to deliver. They are still using Windows XP running a dos box for their inventory and POS system. I remember when I worked at one the stores for a year and they installed new IBM blade servers that caused the database to crash twice a day. Also Fry's is a wasteland these days in terms of foot traffic the few times I go there a year.

The one in Concord is always busy though...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I've built distilled water cooling rigs, they are very touchy (to say the least) about any form of contaminant. Mineral oil is a lot less insanely delicate to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Yeah. You have to be very careful with its application and not miss any spots too.

• Locked thread