Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

AcidRonin posted:

A puppy came in...

A sacrifice left to appease the angry servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

AcidRonin posted:

I mean nothing beats walking in to the datacenter with my first undrunk coffee in my hand in the morning and seeing this chipper golden retriever puppy staring at me like "oh, good morning human, my owner tied me to this weird blinky thing. Sure is noisy in here isn’t it? Also is this thing what has all the lights on it food? These trees are strange…. do you have bacon?". I want to know what went through the mind of whoever brought their dog in here. Also, i want to fire building security. I think step 1 is relocate said cute animal away from the like millions in taxpayer dollars he might pee on.

Maybe they figured it would be okay with the raised floor?

Also, gold retriever puppy? Steal it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

tehloki posted:

When I look at all their computers, all the shares are mapped, but none of them could find them because they weren't mapped to the same drive letters as their supervisor.

I hate windows shares for this reason. Or maybe I just hate windows shares not set up by group policy or something. Either way after working here for a year and a half I still don't know what the K:\ drive is supposed to be.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

nitrogen posted:

I had set up an IRC server for our team, but our idiot security folks made me shut it down "because our scanner says its an exploit."

A guy I know from college spent most of his freshman year being banned from the dorm network because the network folks detected his computer communicating with bot C&C servers. After he stopped using IRC from his desktop he stopped getting banned from the dorm network. Obviously the only reason you would have a connection to the freenode IRC servers is because you have a bot on your computer.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SamDabbers posted:

I especially like email sigs that include the sender's email address. Since it's not in the message headers or anything.

What if they're reading the print out of the e-mail?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I might be :yotj:ing. I got an e-mail asking me to call the HR person from a company I interviewed with that was titled "Good News!". Unfortunately I didn't see the e-mail until after business day. So I'm either going to get a job offer or the HR lady is setting me up for a crushing rejection.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Sweevo posted:

theres a guy here..... who writes like this..... like he just....... starts jabbing the . key...... every time he pauses.......

I used to make frequent (but reasonable) use of the ellipses, until I worked with a guy at my last job who did that. Never a single period, always at least three of them. The man managed to run a form of punctuation for me.

As for content, I am :yotj:ing for the second time since the inauguration of the :yotj:! Moving back to my home state, going back to being a real Linux Admin (instead of what is essentially a middleware configure-er), getting a nearly 50% raise, and moving to an area where housing in general is cheaper (I probably won't be paying much less for rent, but I won't be paying $850 for a studio apartment).

One thing I won't miss about my current job: work management and job planning. About three weeks ago I got a ticket requesting VMs for a vendor app with no project timeline or docs so I ask for a timeline and the vendor docs and forget about the ticket until I hear back from them. Three weeks pass, the guy has no timeline except "we want to use this in September" and he's uploaded the docs to "the K: drive". We don't have standard share mapping or anything, so no clue what the K: drive is. Also, they want a status report on the VMs on Friday and I still didn't have the docs until the project manager (the boss of the person who sent in the ticket) uploaded them to enterprise file sharing site at 9:30 PM last night.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

10 GB C:\ drive? Gear dog, why?

It's been fun training up two new guys. One I'm not sure if he's just browsing a lot of reddit or if he is just awful. He spent 2-3 days on a script to go through a collection of X509 certs and see if any of them are expiring. One of the days, it started with me saying "Hey, you should use Crypt::X509, check out the docs". Halfway through I asked him if he was having any troubles and he hadn't even managed to figure out how to get the library to load a cert so I had to spend 15 minutes whipping up a demo of how to read a file, strip the first and last lines, base64 decode and then pass the result into Crypt:X509's constructor.

He spent the rest of the day and the next day working on the script, which I still haven't seen.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

citywok posted:

The syntax of the command probably isn't perfect, this is OTOH. 2592000 = 60 * 60 * 24 * 30 (seconds in a month). The returncode is 0 for not expiring, 1 for expiring. Or you can parse the output. It took me about 15 minutes to do this at work yesterday, in python (somebody showed me the openssl command).
openssl x509 -in file.cer -noout -text -checkend 2592000
echo $?

Yeah, I know it can be done pretty simply as a simple bash script, but after three or so days of him debugging the old bash script that did this I figured he might have better luck just rewriting the script in Perl.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Do most people actually use pre-made ethernet cables when wiring up your racks?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Wait. I am inferring here that you stand at the rack making at least a couple of dozen cables every time you wire up a new rack.

WHY.

I understand manually finishing long runs, because you're probably running it through walls or something, and you probably need a length more specific than you can buy easily, but between 1 and 10 feet, why the gently caress not use pre-made?

For racks, I prefer hand made when possible to keep things clean. When you need a 4 foot run of cable it's nice to be able to have just a 4 foot run of cable. It's a, most likely irrational, response to the truly horrifying cable jobs I've seen using pre-mades (granted, I've seen even worse with hand made cables, but those were cases of someone just grabbing a cable laying around that had already been made).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Lum posted:

60,000 miles a year travelling between sites in my own loving car

Please tell me you got covered for mileage.

I work for a large University (in the top 10 largest in the US). Yesterday, I came into work and had been CC'ed in on a complaint about our Moodle environment that had started with a professor e-mailing the President of the University. Needless to say, that complaint trickled down to every possibly related group from every manager vaguely in touch with that group.

The actual problem was that the 8 web servers that handle our Moodle had Apache MaxClients dialed down to 10 because I had grabbed our test server configs as a starting point for the production configs and didn't realize my coworker had dicked around with the MPM prefork settings. So each web server was able to handle about 10 requests at any given time, needless to say this made our performance blow chunks on the first day of the semester. The problem took 5 minutes to fix, but the rest of the day to field questions about.

One of the questions that got asked was "Why did your teams monitoring catch this?" To which my only response could be "Well, I asked one of the new guys to take care of the monitoring and I guess I didn't hand hold him enough because none of the nodes were defined in the production monitoring environment and the checks he had defined in the test environment are fundamentally flawed so that they always fail."

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

pr0digal posted:

My daily dose of "you've got to be loving kidding me"

that's a tic tac

I actually sympathize with this. I had to get a grain of rice of the charging port on my tablet a few qweeks ago.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
We only do new hires once a month (not actually true, there are occasionally a small handful of midmonth starts, but for something like 98% of the time, it's true). In theory the process is that during the day Friday before the first Monday of the month I create LDAP accounts for the new hires; however, because of last minute changes to the new hire list this ended up in the guy before me needing to delete some accounts and create some new ones if he did it too early in the day.

So he pushed it back to end of day.

Still didn't entirely fix the problem.

So he pushed it back to sometime in the evening on Friday.

Still didn't entirely fix the problem.

Now I just wait until Monday and create the accounts over lunch because no one logs into any UNIX machines their first day and by lunch their theoretical first day HR really should have it figured out on who is starting that month and who isn't.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Not a ticket, but I got an e-mail telling my contribution to my retirement fund is being automatically increased from 3% to 4% of my pay (the default at my company is for this to happen every year until you're up to like 6%). I would change this back, but I'm just too lazy to figure out how but I think overall I appreciate this default because I know given a choice I would probably be contributing 1% to increase overall beer budget.

EDIT for content:

One of my coworkers (inadvertently, I think) set me up to look like a dick. We had two VMs which didn't have enough unallocated disk space for backups to happen and because these VMs allow users full root access, first guess was that the users were at fault. Talking with my coworker we determined I should shoot them an e-mail, tell them they dun goofed, ask them to shrink their data volumes and in the future contact the helpdesk when they're running low on disk space. Turns out the users of these two VM's had done exactly that, it was us who didn't leave enough room for the backup snapshot and my coworker had even worked on the ticket and had just finished up created a new master image for this class of VM's that had a larger disk allocated to it.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 12, 2014

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

evobatman posted:

What came in today: AN OFFICE PUPPY!!!!

Ah, I see you brought in your packet sniffer.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Volmarias posted:

A ticket came in from a user last night as I was sitting down to dinner.

I requested more information from the user, but she just repeated the same thing. I examined the chair, which appeared to be fine. I asked the user to sit in the chair, but she informed me that she had an important meeting and departed the immediate area. I could see that she just went somewhere else instead.

Copied the user's manager on the ticket, and closed as unable to reproduce. Replaced the chair into its expected position.

The user is 2 years old and adorable :3:

The worst part about this is how average for this thread this seemed before the spoiler text.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

Of course they were paying me peanuts so I couldn't even think about using vacation time to actually go anywhere for vacation...

When I worked for a university I had that issue, I ended up spending a lot of time just visiting family one state over. Now I make enough money to do cool stuff but need to learn how to budget my vacation time better.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A ticket came in...

Newer guy was having trouble logging into a UNIX server so he submitted a ticket. Ended up being an issue with me not configuring something because I didn't realize people actually used it. The :wtf: comes from when he casually mentioned that he also tested this with his manager's credentials.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

I always take those employer rating things with a grain of salt. My current company has had some amazingly crappy reviews but many of them are pretty baseless. Like one review the guy ranted about how working ofr the company didn't result in marketable job skills... he worked in a position that installed our software product. What job skills did he expect to gain from that? (That being said... installing our software product sort of is a pretty marketable job skill).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

FireSight posted:

Seriously. This needs to be done.

Won't someone please think of the children?

... I mean besides the guy who made the CP joke.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Siochain posted:

I've had people flip a poo poo over the same thing.

"THIS ISSUE IS NOT CLOSED YOU CANNOT CLOSE THIS TICKET UNTIL I AM SATISFIED"

<issue is with client ISP, nothing we can do, closing ticket>

Where I work we mark tickets as "ready to close" and then wait for the users to close the ticket. Cue having 8 month old tickets that a user responds to because they encountered a related (or something completely new) problem on that server. Or password reset tickets hanging open because the person has left the company.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Yes. Understandably, the merchant was pissed. Most of the transactions were for repeat clients, so they'll likely be understanding, but it's still a huge undertaking to have to call them and let them know what's going on so they don't try to dispute the charges or take their business elsewhere.

I don't get why the merchant or you guys aren't just eating that 1900. It's a (relatively) small amount for the merchant or you guys and doesn't seem worth the poo poo storm likely to occur when you re-charge little old ladies and soccer moms (the lifeblood of salons).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Demonachizer posted:

If surfing at work it is in your best interest to turn off avs and hotlinked images regardless.

I've had AV's turned off for years just because you can at least pretend you're browsing a technical forum if you have AV's turned off.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

nimper posted:

A ticket came in: user isn't receiving emails.

"I can send but nothing has come in all day."

Resolution: expand the Today section in Outlook.

Naturally this was about 4:30. Strange that the user waited until it was nearly quittin' time to tell me!

My favorite follow up question to a similar ticket was "... has anyone sent you any e-mail today?"

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

I was in my mid 20s when I started AIXing, next youngest person on the team was 52.

I'm in my late 20s and I greatly enjoy reminding the people on my team that I was barely alive in the 80s. I'm going to be a little bummed when I'm no longer able to troll my team just by mentioning my birthyear.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm so over today. I really wanted to lean in close and whisper "I make more than you and I'm half your age"

I'm actually pretty embarrassed by how much money I make compared to people I know from outside IT.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A ticket came in ...

quote:

Hi. This morning I used the restroom in <BUILDING> second floor. It was the single restroom near the break room.

My pen fell into the toilet and it was flushed. Is there any way to recover it?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

GreenNight posted:

GF (Python/Java programmer among other languages) is currently looking for an IT job. She's currently working at a startup but is looking for something with actual benefits. Madison WI here if anyone has openings they know about.

If she has a 4 year degree she could consider Epic.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Migishu posted:

I want to be this guys apprentice.

Seriously, I'll live on the loving streets if I have to.

That guy could start a frigging dojo for BOFH-fu.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ZoDiAC_ posted:

So in my workplace one thing we haven't bothered with is asset management to any degree

I'm just gonna buy a kit and label the poo poo out of everything at a weekend. I've used lovely peelable stickers in the past

Can anyone recommend the software end (I'll Excel it if need be but there must be a better solution)?

You could go semi-ITIL and go with something like combodo's itop.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My work has no dress code for 50 weeks of year. We have a hard time convincing interviewees that they don't need to wear a suit.

For the remaining 2 weeks of the year we have customers on site for user group meetings and we're expected to dress "business neat" which after 2 years I don't really know what that entails. Mostly it's just button down shirts and the occasional tie.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm watching a reply all chain that includes the ALL EMPLOYEES WITH EMAIL global list. So far the requests for removal have been going on for almost 8 hours. :magical: . This includes HR replies asking people to stop replying all, people complaining and saying "please remove me from this list" and people explaining what the list means. Repeatedly. Of course we have a ticket that happens to note that our mail system is extremely slow right now, boy do I wonder why? :cripes:

Honor their requests by removing everyone from the mailing list.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Gunjin posted:

This, no one questions the shits. It's even better if during your call out you start talking really quickly and say something along the lines "ohhh god, umm I gotta go uhhrightnowsorrybye" and hang up.

I used to give reasons and excuses for taking sick time, or being in later than usual (we don't have hard and fast start times). At one point my boss just told me to stop giving reasons. I'm okay with this. Now, I only justify last-minute vacation.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A ticket came in...

and the guy on helpdesk for my team escalated it to me immediately based on "inventory says it's yours." No investigation into the problem. No thought put in beyond "This is more complicated than a database filling up and it's captkirk's server. I better give this ticket to captkirk." This is from someone on my team, we have a rotating one week shift that everyone has to take to do triage on incoming tickets, so he should be able to investigate the problem to determine if it actually involves foreknowledge of the particular server.

This could also go in the poo poo that pisses me off thread because it seems like some people on my team don't understand that when you're on helpdesk it's your job to minimize the interruption of everyone else's work by deal with as much of the incoming poo poo tickets as you can. The point is not to spread the work interruptions around.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

A friend of mine who used to work at EA got a an email with "Congratulations on five years with EA, Valued employee, Part of a big family.." that kind of crap.

Then at the end there's a disclaimer with "This mail was automatically generated, do not reply." :v:

Man. At my company when you hit 5 years they give you a one month sabbatical and encourage you to GTFO of the country for that time by giving some help with travel expenses.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Coredump posted:

Now we can focus on projects.

No you can't. Resolving tickets only encourage the user to submit more of them.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I invite you to explain to me then why there were MD5 hashes in the /etc/shadow before I got to it, why setting a different init didn't work (seriously, I'm not that daft), and the part where you missed that this was done literally spur of the moment today in a university Linux classroom lab.

I'm not some daft old fogey clutching onto the last running UnixWare machine who needs to get with the times and stop using DES in his /etc/passwd, sorry. I solved a problem with the first thing that worked with the tools I had.

Was it overly complex? Yes. Will I do it that way again? Probably not, but that doesn't just not make it an interesting anecdote.

And here's where you show yourself to be a greenhorn, you read evol's post and gave a drat what it said.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Maybe people would care more about what you post if 90% of what you posted wasn't dickish or if when called out on it you didn't just say "Well I don't care what you guys think about me anyway."

Responding to the guy's anecdote with "Nice thinking on your toes, but here are some easier ways to deal with that" would've been better received than being a dick.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A quick and dirty greasemonkey script to really improve the quality of post in the IT threads.

http://pastebin.com/5aXYpbzB

On topic, I was handed a ticket yesterday to help get some of our customer facing support guys a webserver. I asked them for more information on what they are requesting and the response included something about how their personal VMs have 2GB of memory and 2 CPUs so he would expect the webserver to have more resources allocated to it. This is one of my pet peeves, assuming that because a service is important it must need more memory or cores than an unimportant service. Your tiny web service is probably going to be perfectly happy with 2 GB of memory and 2 CPUs given that the current version of it is completely happy with less memory and fewer cores.

• Locked thread