Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mustache Ride posted:

I asked about cylance in the infosec thread as well, but those guys are rear end in a top hat. Should have asked here first.

Their response is always "anti-virus doesn't help, and can hurt." It's a legitimate view if you have full control over the domain. Not as helpful if you're working in a segmented environment where others are controlling elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

sfwarlock posted:

I've heard it as "the cobbler's children have no shoes". My thing is that after doing bullshIT all week, I don't want to come home and do more. I will build the computer quite happily, because I don't do that much at work, but actually installing Windows, patching, doing all the BS to reinstall poo poo... :effort:

I barely just started doing backups after dodging cryptosomething by THISMUCH.

This is why I moved most of my gaming to consoles. Especially every time my friend tells me about the 30 minute troubleshooting session he just did so he could play XCom 2

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

KoRMaK posted:

Lol yea, same here which is why I'm confused by the response.

e: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck i quoted fishmech

Could be worse, could have quoted Stymie. Fishmech at least says things which are technically correct.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Started a new job at a help desk yesterday. It's great so far, except I can already tell Service Desk Express is going to be annoying. Anyone familiar with it, and have some tips for making it not bad?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Um, yes. I was (am?) an SDE designer and consultant for years. What do you want yo know, and is your Staff account flagged as a sysadmin in Permissions?

Oh sweet. I don't know if I'm flagged as sysadmin for this. Best way to check? And the two things right now are I can't have more than 3 queries open, the fourth just says you can't have more than 3 open then fails, but actually runs the query first. Is there a way to have a new query just open over an existing one? And if I use tab completion, it works fine, but auto complete in a field with auto filled connected fields won't fill the connected ones. Since I have a few frequent flyers for tickets already, that's unfortunate. Any way to address that?

ETA: I need to change some userAccountControl attribute in AD for 15 users. Can I make powershell do this? If so, how? This'll be my first use of powershell!

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 25, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inspector_666 posted:

Now you get to demand huge raises!

"Sure would be a shame to lose me to someone who will PAY ME, eh?"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ConfusedUs posted:

Escalate repeatedely

I think that repeated de-elevation of a hammer would work to solve the problem more.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Khisanth Magus posted:

A whole bunch of projects came in:
We have a developer on our team who is generally a good developer, but she has been a bit flaky for the past year, and I've had to pick up the pieces on projects she has dropped the ball on due to personal/family issues.

She has now been AWOL for about 2 weeks now. No one has heard from her or been able to get ahold of her, including my manager. Every project that she was working on just got assigned to me, on top of the stuff I'm already assigned to. Whee.

By "AWOL for 2 weeks" you mean "Fired for job abandonment," right? And also all your projects take precedent over hers, and they have a revised timeline?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm assuming she is going to be fired, although she hasn't officially been at this point to my knowledge.

And hahahahaha @ the projects having revised timelines. That is amusing.

I always remain forever hopeful. Some day it'll happen.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

A ticket came in:

One of our clients is getting errors in our program. I take a look and they are clearly an issue with either their servers or the network between them. I go to open a ticket with the server team and oh, look, they already have an open ticket, being handled by our most senior server tech, who told their MSP what to do and they won't do it! I am about to close my call when I get a message from the client's account manager - "Can you keep that call open for now? Are you sure it's not an application issue? They said it only started last week and they haven't changed a single thing in years and one guy noticed this one message in the log about the program getting a hangnail so maybe that's the problem?"

Flash forward a few hours and now I'm scheduled for a conference call tomorrow with the server tech, the account rep, the client company principals, the internal IT and the MSP, for a problem I can't fix and have no hand in.

Murder.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

larchesdanrew posted:

Gross misuse of student mailing lists came in.

Now to work out my aggression by indiscriminately punishing high schoolers. :getin:

was goatse involved?

If not, smdh at kids these days.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

92 tickets and counting :toot:

Is that tickets about the meeting you had to have, or just tickets you've dealt with today?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

larchesdanrew posted:

I told him I had to go take a walk and left. So here I am half an hour later walking back to my office. Let's see how this plays out :allears:

You're a good person, and I hope this works out amazingly for you.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

larchesdanrew posted:

He's the monarch. He's the little dictator. He's the God of our world and his will be done.

gently caress that.

So what's your plan now? Push back gently? Hard? Ignore it? File a Hostile Workplace grievance?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Okay this was ages ago and I never got back to you, I'm really sorry! Do you have access to staff permissions? On a classic navigator bar, you'd look under System Administration --> Staff, open up your staff record, and use the action menu up top to check your Staff Permissions. Under "Additional Permissions", you can be set as a System Administrator or a Group Administrator.

For your second question: if you want more than 3 queries/QuickViews, open the Dashboard Manager (it's the gear icon above your dashboard), and click the "Rights" button. You can set the maximum allowable there. I'd hesitate to recommend going above 5 though, otherwise it slows everything the hell down the first time your dashboard loads.

Lemme know if you need screenshots for any of the above.

What version of the software are you running? 10.2 SP 5 came out before it was EoL'd, but I don't recommend taking it above SP4 (10.2.4.115).

Man, I have NONE of those buttons.
Not even the rights button in the gear.

Thanks for trying though.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mewse posted:

When people call for a password reset now I tell them "OK I'll give you a temporary password", set it to something simple and set the flag for "user must change password at next logon".

I like to think this prevents repeat calls because they're forced to choose their own password that fits the requirements -- I know there are some people who just call in every time their password expires rather than handling it themselves, which is OK if they are out of the office but just lazy otherwise.

One of the main things I do at my helpdesk position is set temporary passwords. Most calls are friendly, emails are short and easy. And the self-use password tools are broken because so much stuff has been updated, except for the tools, so it's way less frustration for the user to call in. There's also like 7 accounts to use, only 3 of which are synchronized with passwords.

Now, the real fun is the people who don't understand what "You will have to change your password at next log in" means, or can't type the same thing in the "new password" field and the "Confirm new password" field. :argh:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Okay, here's a bit of a fun one. Just got a ticket from a user because powerpoint was misbehaving.

On their title slide, which they have used for all the department's presentations, organization's template, there's your standard
code:
Enter name
Enter department
Which they then enter their name to, making it
code:
Their name
Their department
And everything's great. They can do presentations with it, whatever, but when they print it, they get
code:
Their name
Their department

Enter name
Enter department
I've looked at the file, there's no hidden layer or extra text box, printed it, and got the same thing.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Go into the slidemaster view and look at the template they're using for the thing. You can stick poo poo like Title/page#/'this poo poo is proprietary don't email it to everyone on your contact list' etc in there and it won't show up until you present the slide, or in some cases print the slide deck.

Those are all just the one slide? drat, when I went in there at first I thought that was just the other template slides. Jeez.

Edit:Nope, deleted all the extra stuff in Slidemaster, and it's still happening.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 16, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Well that sucks, PM me a dropbox link and I can take a look at it for you if you want. I'm the office IT guy and official MS office bitch boy for anything the typing ladies don't know how to do, so I can probably puzzle it out.

This is the original, before I started deleting stuff in Slide Master view.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc7wzkhzu2piacp/Presentation2.pptx?dl=0

To test, I deleted everything but the first sub-slide view, and the large box on the main slide, and it still happened. So :shrug:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
It worked fine printing to PDF on my end too. It was literally only during printing to paper that it happened. We're using 2016, and Windows 7. It probably is a printer issue, I guess. The issue is all the printers are the same! We just rolled out new printers last week.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Probably a printer driver issue then. There should be a PCL and postscript driver for basically any printer purchased in the last 5 years, try using the other one and see if the issue goes away. PS and PCL both do things differently, and what looks like dogshit on one may print perfectly fine on the other.

Close notes:
Workaround found. Print to PDF, then print the pdf. Researching issue to find more permanent fix, unknown ETA.

I figured it out! But it's still even weirder. The text box containing the offending text was under a slide-sized box, and the text itself WAS IN WHITE. :wtc:
So why does it show up when printed in black and white on a printer? I don't even know! But I found it by searching the presentation for "Name" and then a blank space got highlighted.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GreenNight posted:

I hope someone did it to gently caress with you.

If the instructor did it to gently caress with me, it'd be out of character for her. If someone did it to gently caress with her...well, maybe.

It's a solid prank though. You just need to rely on a printer choosing to print white text as black when in black&white mode. When I figured it out, I couldn't stop laughing. I'm keeping these printouts to remind me to search documents more.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Macaroni posted:

Suppose I hypothetically wished to make audio recordings of interactions with a hostile coworker for documentation purposes. What would be the best way to do that? Given that this person would be looking at my screen and would notice an audio recording application, I'm guessing some kind of phone app would be better.

Step one is check and see what recording laws in your area are. One or two party consent. One party, and you're fine. Two party, and since this co-worker's already hostile, they could retaliate with a lawsuit for recording them without permission.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
:wtc:

User posted:

Please have settings, or explain steps for the B102 photocopier in order to print photos. We receive many documents where students or staff take a photo and forward it to us. It able to be used to upload documents as well into PS. Currently, I would have to copy and paste it onto a Word document. NOT lean.

That's the whole email. I... what? How.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

My boss doesn't know the difference between MB and GB. All the other bosses laugh at him and he has the mental acuity of a brick with equivalent retention. So does this mean they're probably going to promote him? :negative:

He keeps asking me for help with poo poo he should be able to do himself.

Is he dumb enough that you could just record the first time you tell him something, and just replay it each time he asks?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are they really constrained by CPU? Unless they're increasing the amount of data they're processing, or the thing sounds like a vacuum cleaner because the fans are going full blast 24/7, they're probably fine.

They need serial and parallel. They're probably cpu bound.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

He's remote and has never used the VPN and says he's been sending/receiving emails just fine?

Black magic voodoo

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Agrikk posted:

Why spend the effort of injecting yourself as a roadblock into this?

File the feature request. Phrase it as, "my boss wanted me to file this request (complete with eyeroll)." Tell your boss that the feature request has been filed.

Now it isn't you saying no but the company is stalling on delivery.

Yes the original request is dumb as hell, but who cares? Saying no puts you in the position of defending the company against your boss. Why do that?

"If you give a mouse a cookie..."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bob Morales posted:

They're moving where 2 people sit at our other office to the other side of the room, and I'm pretty sure the guy is going to MOVE the cat5 drops and not just run new ones :unsmith:

Duh, you don't want to have to remap all those static IPs and figure out what ports are.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

Changing that setting is as good an idea as turning your system clock back because the SSL certificate expired.

poo poo, you mean setting my server to 1999 didn't get me 2 decades of SSL?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Hungry Computer posted:

Chrome still does that sometimes. I tried to download and install a driver from HP's website recently and both Chrome and Windows smart screen tried to stop me.

Smart screen works!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

Hello,

Please have someone come to install a new wireless mouse I received. Thanks.

gently caress right off with this poo poo.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GreenNight posted:

When I get those requests, I forward the part of the employee handbook that says no unauthorized computer equipment is allowed, who authorized your wireless mouse and can I get documentation?

Oh, I'm absolutely sure they went through procurement to get it, because this person would never spend their own money. Same way they never use any of their own effort. They think being admin to the president makes them special. The most terrible part is the president's very self-sufficient and polite, so they only ask for help when it's a problem or it's time sensitive. Their admin is just not good.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in:

I got a job and I start Monday!

Its part time and for a very small MSP ( I will be one of two employees including the owner) but its something.

:yotj:

Hey, congrats! We should get a drink and you can tell me all the stories you couldn't post here! :D

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bob Morales posted:

Why didn't they send an email to all their customers of that model?

:effort:

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I got this far in this post before I remembered what thread I was reading and realized this wasn't about literal trees.

Same!

kensei posted:

Does rodent poop void the HP Procurve warranty?

:barf:

But surely poop only improves it! (I know nothing about Procurves)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mirthless posted:

we reset 3,000 passwords today, all at the same time

On purpose?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Chickenwalker posted:

Using buzzwords makes you look like an enormous rear end in a top hat. Especially when the way you use them makes it sound like you learned how to talk from crappy law/cop/medical procedurals.
You got to engage them on their level so they understand; or in other words

GreenNight posted:

Are you kidding me? Management loves that poo poo.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Chickenwalker posted:

You are both part of the problem.

Chickenwalker posted:

You know most of the time I can't bear to even open this thread or the general IT thread even though they're bookmarked out of some kind of conditioned Pavlovian anxiety.

Sounds like you're the one with the problem? Sorry jargon gives you panic attacks though. Have you talked to anyone about that?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nerdrock posted:

It depends on what you expect. "kids are good with computers" seems nothing more than an excuse by non-"kids" to not learn how to use computers. In my 11 years as a CJ I feel I've seen an equal amount of younger and older users who are clueless.

Yeah, when I worked for Staples in their tech department, anyone 15 or over had an equal chance of being computer illiterate, the only difference was 30-50 years old had a higher chance of not listening to me when I told them something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm ornery today, and the users aren't improving my mood.

Special Needs User posted:

Subject: Printer connection down
Body:
Thanks. Very helpful in troubleshooting. This is one of our special snowflake Mac users. Strongly dislike the "just fix it" attitude she has.

Next on the hit parade, a user who had to be told twice that access to an application wasn't handled by my Service Desk, but by filling out a form that was then automatically sent to a security review team for that application, since it deals with a lot of PII. Then they forgot their password to a different application, I reset their password with a flag to expire it on next log-in. It took 3 emails to direct her on how to change her password after that when the screens are:
1. Standard log in screen
2. Screen saying password is expired and must be changed, with big "Click here to change password" link.
3. Screen with fields for current password, new password, repeat new password, submit.
That's it. That's all that's on all 3 of those screens.

Then we got a user who emailed wondering what the criteria to use on-site printers, and when to use the 3rd party printing service we have are. That's not so bad, except for directing it to Facilities instead of any IT department. Head of Service Desk answered her "There are no criteria, use your judgment." About 20 minutes later we get another email asking what the criteria are. As a reply to my boss's email.

People are extra stupid today.

ETA: so, the second user managed to lock herself out of her computer account. It was reset, and then she managed to fail to set a new password on that.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 20, 2017

• Locked thread