Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

It's beautiful. Also please be safe anthonypants. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_S2JVaINO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's actually a cool testing lab but they can't spell worth poo poo :coal:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as an external 5.25 inch floppy drive?

Sure, the C-1541 is pretty popular.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gilok posted:

I like the parts where he is just obstinate and confrontational with his superiors and also end users so that's cool.

It beats the hell out of the usual The Daily WTF-type "someone made me do stupid thing so i did it but I'm smarter than they are :smug:" story.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Sometimes when I am sitting at front desks people try to get me to sign for packages, that's about as rough as it's gotten for me.

I was working at a customer's site that was closed down (as in none of their employees were present) for a Friday that came after a Thursday holiday, and suddenly a Latvian (or maybe Lithuanian? I forget) lorry driver was in our sales office waving a waybill and a biro in my face. I glanced at it long enough to see the goods were addressed to the customer, not us*. Thanks, security company who had been told not to let anyone in through the gate that day. (I poured myself some coffee and left because it wasn't my problem. I'm sure sales handled it some way :shrug:)

*) In case someone's ever in this situation: never sign anything for another company no matter who tells you to. Also never sign for anything you haven't actually seen and counted (to see if it matches the number of packages on the waybill) if it's addressed to your own company. If someone like your boss insists, tell them to sign it themselves.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Knormal posted:

Today I got told to "speak English" when I asked a user to plug a laptop into a different network drop because the one it was connected to now didn't seem to be live. I don't even know how to simplify "network drop" and "plug in" without getting really condecending and talking about "big phone jacks".

I've never heard the term so I would've told you to speak English (like "Ethernet outlet" or something) as well. :mrgw:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I work at a desk now but I still wear steel-toe shoes at work in the Winter because they're waterproof, warm, and free (one pair/year), and both the domestic brands are extremely well-built and comfortable shoes that fit my weird Mongol foot better than any other non-bespoke shoe. (The same companies also make cheaper "normal" shoes and those are comfortable as well of course but also really ugly and I'd have to pay for them myself.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Varkk posted:

We all have to wear steel toe dress shoes as well. We get a pair each year provided by the company. They really should be worn by any computer tech who ever has to move pcs or ups units around.

Also great for anyone who has to work around desks. If god had intended man to work near desks, toes would not have any nerve endings.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

The two remaining members of my IT department (my boss and myself) are out of the office today. He's flying out to the East Coast for a funeral and I'm heading to the beach for my birthday. We didn't tell anyone we'd both be give because we figured they'd freak the gently caress out. Sadly I'm the one on call, but part of me is tempted to just ignore any calls unless they are literally "the servers are on fire what do we do :kingsley:." What's the worst that could happen? :v:

What would you do if the servers were on fire? Grab a bucket of sea water and head back?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think it's great that you'll have a generation of adults who can't write (as opposed to type) properly because instead of teaching them the motor skills needed for that in pre-school, they're given poo poo tech for idiots.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh well, at least I'm able to sit down for at least a few minutes and enjoy my coffee. I go to pick it up and the lid falls off and the cup goes sailing to the floor.

This is why you drink coffee out of an actual coffee cup on your two 15-minute coffee breaks per day. Coffee isn't supposed to be mobile and the only type of drinking vessel that's supposed to have a lid is this:

tl;dr: You're doing coffee wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You know who drank out of a lidded tankard? Hint: he was also big on living and dying for the fatherland.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I kinda want to use one for a coffee cup, just for the looks I'll get.

The same kind of looks you get wearing a homburg to work.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Can't be any worse than the skinny jeans our resident hipster warehouse worker wears. Watching him contort to get to the lower shelves is entertaining.

You know it's not cricket to keep checking out your co-worker's :goatsecx: while they're working.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Knormal posted:

I saw a fax on the machine yesterday

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but what you thought was last night was actually 25 years. You've been in a coma for 25 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Woogles posted:

Immediately change the default login credentials on any gear you get. Don't give the fool a chance to throw a spanner in the works.

Wouldn't this be par for the course anyway?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anthonypants posted:

Linux-powered light fixtures

The idea seems weird at first but then who needs sound on a light fixture anyway :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'll stop with that 40000-year-old joke once I get a Linux where sound works on every machine I want it on (without rolling my own LFS).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Migishu posted:

Oh poo poo

How will I post on funny computer forum now?

Very carefully.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

They must have some concept of paying for quality in their lives?

Don't you think they'd have moved someplace else by nowa long time ago if they did?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nexxai posted:

"built 12:00:35, Nov. 19, 2004"

:stare:

When you do something right the first time, you don't need to change it up every 10 years.

(This was a seriouspost, by the way.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

This would be a good time to talk to your GM and get all the reporters together for a little demonstration.

1 - Take all reporters outside, have 2 boxes set up - one for ponchos, another with cloth bathrobes
2 - Grab offending towel reporter, dress in poncho, dump water on him, watch water slough off normally
3 - Change to bathrobe, dump water again, let it soak in so his poo poo gets drenched

"Do you understand your stupidity now, jackass?"

:confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

ARE TERRORISTS ARE TRYING TO HACK THE PLANE????

Seems like they are going to execute someone?!? :ohdear:

e: AND abort someone!!

Also it's "dangerous"!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I always crack a smile when I'm reminded of the former co-worker who refused to work at this plant, was sent to the other place we have in this city, and decided she didn't want to work there, either. So obviously they fired her :v:

(In a country where it's still rather difficult to get rid of any particular employee, one should remember that "refusal to work" is grounds for legal termination expressly mentioned in the law. Going on strike or halting work as a means of protest is legal but "I don't like this job so I won't do it" does not fall into that category. I really don't understand what she thought was going to happen.)

e: I don't know why I was reminded of this reading the last page but I was so :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Larches... is the supervisor :vince:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Ticket of the day:

numlock

I booted up some one-diskette free BSD once to try out if it would suit my needs and for some reason it switched F and P around so I decided against it.

(Might have been some other two keys/letters, this was like ten years ago, but you get the point.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I mean who wants files named asdpadpasdpsdpasdp?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized I'm in the "A ticket came in" thread when, in fact, I'm the guy who writes the tickets :greencube: Or, more often than not, I don't. Every time someone tells me about a problem it's so vague I won't even bother asking for details because they'll be unable to give them anyway (and I certainly won't open anything on a "USER HAD PROBLEM ERROR TERROR DOCUMENTO PUERTO RICO HABLA HOBLA CHA CHA CHA MASSAGE WINDAW ON SCREEN BUT HE CKICKLED IT AWAY WITH MUSE NOW IT'S GONE LOLLLERSTRÖMBERG HELP SOS" basis like a lot of other people seem* to do) so I always just nod and forget about it immediately until I run into the same problem myself. Also if someone Lyncs me "HEY COME HAVE A LOOK AT THIS" I just block them because it's loving Lync you can share your loving screen oh wait you already left for lunch anyway like ten seconds after telling me to come over so gently caress you buddy.

*) Yes I look at the queue daily just for laughs. The Norwegians in our company seem the absolute dumbest when it comes to IT for some reason :norway:

Do I sound angry? I'm not even angry :shrug:

e: Of course reading threads like this make me feel a lot better about my work :tipshat:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 8, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

If you're the guy who is supposed to be helping, you're being a dick and making things worse.

Can't help with a problem if I don't know what the problem is. If it's an actual non-user error I'll run into it myself pretty fast. Everyone's been told more than once to stop if they get an error message they don't understand instead of clicking yes with the speed of light and then telling me something went wrong. I have enough actually business-critical work to do.

A lot of the people ITT should try being dicks: it works and is healthy. Now if I actually got paid for being part of the support chain, things might be different. Until that time, the onus is going to be on the user to provide at least some info on what's going on so that I can replicate the problem and if (I mean when) it's user error, tell them how to do it right. Because just forwarding what end users try poo poo on my lap would mean being literally the hugest dick in the world to the IT people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

Being a dick is a pretty fast way to earn a trip to HR and/or a meeting with your boss. Especially if you work for a MSP since being a dick to the client is a great way to lose a contract.

At least that's my experience here in the states so ymmv but I'm part of the support chain and get paid for it so :shrug:

Luckily I don't work for an MSP but anyway, customers are easy, and when there's a problem they call me and give me all the details because they're not dumb-asses. Oh and in case anyone is wondering why I even take part in the support process at all: first of all it gives me access to stuff that makes my own job a lot easier, secondly if I didn't, one of the sales people would be designated to do it, and then we would close down in a few months because they don't understand poo poo about the system (they made an impression on the EDI support guys last summer when I was on holiday because, despite being told that e-mail and EDI are not the same thing, they kept sending "E_MAIL EDI ODER NOT CUMING THORGH WE NO GET ORDR ENTRIRE WEAK HELP SOS" messages despite EDI working just fine. I forget what the actual problem was). Changing requirements and continuous development (not to mention expanding to new countries with different/conflicting requirements) mean something always breaks at some point but I usually catch that poo poo before it affects us too much.

Also it's probably a cultural thing as well. Have you heard of Linus Torvalds?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Raerlynn posted:

with no justification

:downs: "Why hasn't this been fixed yet?"
:greencube: "Why hasn't what been fixed yet?"
:downs: "Uhh."
:greencube: "Yeah."
:downs: "OK."

Is usually how it goes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Being able to very, very politely tell people to go gently caress themselves is probably the best skill I have ever learned, outside of being able to write competently.

But that's rude.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

Is he that character in Peanuts?

Well! Here comes ol' Linus Torvalds! Good ol' Linus Torvalds....Yes, sir! Good ol' Linus Torvalds... How I hate him!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

I'm not a developer so there's probably a disconnect here, but I know our internal developer makes people cry.

Yeah I don't tell people off I just disregard most of what they say. I did curse a lot at my first boss's boss when we started out but then he got demoted so I didn't have to anymore.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 8, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Never Ever Ever, Eat Moose Jerked. NO! Eat Nøntøønyt Moose Naturally.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pro tip: put the moose in a soup.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spankmeister posted:

shut up you finnish bastard elk sausage owns

Sausage is not jerky as far as I know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Well you brought it up mister <:mad:>

Uhh no I didn't? Collateral Damage did. I can't fathom why anyone would be excited for jerky when they can just, you know, eat the meat as non-jerky.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

because jerky is loving delicious. I have never had moose or elk jerky but if it's made of meat I will season it, dry it, and eat it.

You might as well make the jerky from roadkill because you'll only be tasting the seasoning. That's how jerky works. It's the IPA of foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Who says you can't do both?

A medium rare moose steak is harder to keep in your pocket for snacking on though.

:lol: if you don't have plastic-lined insulated hip pockets in your work pants (steak on the right, tater tots on the left).

• Locked thread