Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

you ate my cat posted:

I work for an ISP and field that question a lot. The answers people give to the inevitable "Why exactly do you think you need to change your IP?" are always amazing.

You can't just tease us like that. Details!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Ticket came in last Saturday, and I'm working on it now. It's an old 2006 iMac (the MA199LL/A) that refuses to boot. Booting in startup manager shows the disk, but from there it hangs on the spinning gear-thing. Booting from DVD doesn't seem to work, and while I can get into singleuser mode, fsck -fy returns an error 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED). Running fsck -fy returns slightly different errors and I remember reading somewhere that repeatedly running fsck -fy until you get an "all clear" can fix issues. Apart from Singleuser mode I can't boot at all. My knowledge of mac stuff is basically whatever I get from googling random error codes and symptoms. Anyone have any better ideas?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Hard drive was on my list of concerns but I wanted to see if I could boot to a DVD. I have an install DVD in there and holding C while starting up does nothing different. This made me think it was an issue beyond just the hard drive but now that I'm thinking about it it's most likely the hard drive.

We have spare 1TB hard drives lying around. Guess this iMac's getting an upgrade!

Dumb thought: Why is a dead hard drive preventing the Mac from booting from DVD?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Merijn posted:

:stare: Watching that physically hurt. I'm not cut out for support I guess.

Computers are machines, tools, extensions of the human form. We anthropomorphize them for fun but you can't treat them personally.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
2006 iMac status: Installed the new hard drive, but I still can't boot from the install DVD. I can get to the Startup Manager, but nothing is listed. Holding down C while booting up doesn't do anything different. Any ideas?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pr0digal posted:

Create a bootable drive/USB key with either the latest version of OS X or whatever version was installed on the iMac and then boot from that. The iMac could have a bad DVD drive so booting from an external disk is your best bet. It's way faster than the install DVD and can be loaded up with troubleshooting programs.

Bad DVD drive could explain the behavior beforehand. Is it possible to make a bootable drive using OS X Tiger from a Windows machine?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pr0digal posted:

Based on some quick googling I came across a program called TransMac: http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm

From the looks of this Super User thread (http://superuser.com/questions/383235/create-a-bootable-usb-drive-from-a-dmg-file-on-windows) you can do it using that program. Assuming the program lets you create a dmg from the install DVD of Tiger that you have or if you can track down a DMG of the latest version of OS X. It looks like it is able to but ymmv

Also this: http://pureinfotech.com/2014/12/05/make-bootable-usb-mac-os-x-windows/

Or get a cheap external DVD drive and try with that

Thanks big time for the help!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Opening laptops is a loving pain. Sliced up my fingertips trying to pry open an HP.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as an external 5.25 inch floppy drive?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

This is exactly what I want! Thanks so much.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
My boss once claimed that W3C sued someone over trying to add code to the HTML standard without their permission or something. This is really bothering me because the statement itself is obviously full of poo poo but I think there's some kind of bizarre half-truth in that statement somewhere that's getting twisted into an outright lie. Did W3C sue anyone over something like this?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

nielsm posted:

W3C publishes recommendations. You can't force anyone to follow a recommendation. W3C also isn't a business, they don't have commercial or political interests as an organization, rather they're formed by employees/volunteers from actual companies and organizations that have an interest in an interoperable and accessible https://www.

The main thing I can think of, your boss might be referring to, would be Microsoft being a member of the W3C and not implementing the HTML 4, XHTML and CSS 2 recommendations according to spec, making IE 4, 5, 5.5 and 6 universally loathed by developers. That's mostly just a question of double standard.

See, that's what I thought. My boss unfortunately has a lot of cargo cult type knowledge where he's tried to figure stuff out on his own based on bits and pieces he's picked up and it's assembled into something that doesn't at all resemble reality.

One time he insisted to me that there are eight governing bodies of the Internet. I asked him to name some, so he googles "governing bodies of the Internet," finds an NPR article in the results, points to it, and says "NPR, that's one."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Boss, just now: "I want you to find a helium balloon shaped like a computer. We're going to hang it up outside next to our sign to catch people's attention."

He's convinced that there's a warehouse somewhere with a bunch of ATX tower-shaped helium balloons and I have no earthly idea where I'm going to find this.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

:laffo:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Been a while since I've seen one of these.

Totally beefy server. 16 cores. 48GB of RAM. Running Server 2003, 32-bit.

HMM WONDER WHY THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY

Disgruntled employee or sheer incompetence?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Supposedly, it is on. But this same guy told me he had a 64 bit system initially. After all, why would it have so much RAM if it were only 32-bit?

Then I showed him it was 32 bit, and he argued with me about it? And now he's come back saying that PAE is on and it shouldn't matter!

Well dude, I can show you right now that your system is completely incapable of using more than 4GB of RAM at the moment. No matter what we do, no more than that is used.

So...

honestly at this point it just sounds like he doesn't want to be wrong

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Slanderer posted:

Which version of Server 2003? Apparently that makes a big difference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Microsoft_Windows

Maybe this bit of information led the guy to believe that Server 2003 32-bit supports 64 GB of RAM with PAE on, when in fact the version being used isn't enterprise and therefore doesn't support it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh it is enterprise. But even if PAE is enabled, his system won't use more than 4gb.

The problem is that he's running out of memory. This server is running exchange, plus a small MySQL server, and is the domain controller to boot.

It chugs and halts along. When he tries to add a backup to the mix, the whole house of cards crumbles.

This, of course, means that it's our backup program causing the issue.

He just refuses to believe that the system isn't using the available memory despite me showing him it's only ever using 4gb in like four ways.

Isn't PAE meant to allow you to use more than 4gb? Like, that's the purpose. I don't know really anything about PAE, is it some sort of paging thing where the machine can only access 4 gigabytes of memory at a time?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

In practice PAE tends to allow the OS to map various programs' own memory spaces all over a much larger than 4 GB address space, but the programs are still usually bound by 32 bit limits. PAE's primary benefit is making it so that 32 bit machines don't have as much of their RAM address space eaten up by having to map in the video memory etc. So if, for example, exchange is running out RAM due to handling too many things, it's running out of its process address space and thus can't use more than 4 GB of the system's 48 GB of RAM at absolute best, in reality probably a lot less.

On 32 bit Windows Server 2003, you can only use more than 4 GB of RAM at all with enterprise which supports up to 64 GB, but even if they had that if the server's not running a whole bunch of processes it'll never get close to using the 48 GB of RAM installed, unless they were intentionally using a RAM drive to eat up some of it.

Slanderer posted:

The 4gb limit came from a 32 bit architecture limits the memory address space. Processors and chipsets that support PAE have additional address lines, which allows a memory space of 2^36 bytes instead of 2^32. If the OS kernel supports PAE, it will map multiple page tables to the physical memory. I don't believe this changes the limitation on the size of the virtual address space an individual process can use, though, so you either need to use tricks to get a process to use more memory, or just have multiple processes.

PAE is also related to the 3GB barrier, which I vaguely remember but don't have time to refresh my memory on just right now: I think maybe PAE brought the actual memory limit of Windows XP (for instance) from 3gb to 4gb (but no more than that). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier
Alright, that makes sense. I imagine the kind of software that's being run on a Windows Server 2003 machine with 48gb of ram isn't large address aware to begin with so none of the apps are going above 2gb per app anyway.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Long-time customer came in. Boss tells me that he wants "a tune-up, virus removal, and recovering some corrupted files..."

Those three going together sets off red flags in my mind. So, after plugging it in and making sure the Ethernet isn't connected, I'm greeted with HELP_DECRYPT.jpg automatically opening up.

Man has CryptoWall 3.0 and my boss is convinced we can decrypt AES-256.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

No backups huh?

I've been hit by Cryptowall a few times now and it just doesn't bother me.

I hunt down the person that did it and slash and burn their PC, then I mount my backups and restore over the affected poo poo. Big whoop.

I am mounting a quixotic effort to sanitize the machine and recover what I can but I am making no promises and I expect to get almost nothing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I think you'd experience the heat death of the universe before you could bruteforce an AES-256 encrypted file.

bitcoin's backed by math and protected by physics

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sickening posted:

How do you let another person put their hands on you like that without standing up for yourself? Totally bizarre.

From what it sounds like it just happened really fast and larchesdanrew didn't have the time to process it until after the fact.

loving gross though. Submit a sexual harassment complaint.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Javid posted:

Just got gifted one of the printer/scanners that won't scan if the printer is out of ink. It's amazing how scummy these companies can be.

I will shoot holes in this thing and leave the carcass in the woods before I spend $50 on ink to work the scanner.

Wonder if there's a way to trick the sensor into thinking there's ink to defeat that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Fool posted:

Shark biologist.

But no, just a small town IT shop with a bunch of man baby co-workers and a inappropriate culture perpetuated by the owner.

They all mostly do good work though, and I primarily work at client locations, so whatever.

:( :respek: :(

I'm in the same boat, except the number of man-babies is 4 including myself and not only is the owner incredibly inappropriate, he's also shockingly incompetent.

I'm not going to post specific stuff but our website (written in PHP for some reason! Most likely auto-generated by Dreamweaver) looks like something from late-90s Geocities.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sirotan posted:

The site now has 15 printers, for a staff of 20.

That's 15 printers too many.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

As I type this, he turned the soldering iron on to 700 degrees and then went outside to smoke.

this is the kind of thing that inspires an OSHA safety bulletin video with the CG people getting blown up

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

good job leaving that number uncensored, I'm gonna call them and say my name's Anthony and I'm a ratfucker

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Bad news: He wants to go through TigerDirect :smithicide:

TigerDirect seems to be the outlet of choice for people who don't know what they're talking about, I just don't get it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Trying to get a mac to do Disk Utility through Internet Recovery and it's taking loving forever. There's nothing wrong with the disk, it just wants to stall when formatting. Is there a way to format a drive for GPT and add an HFS partition in Windows?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

kensei posted:

One of our legacy companies has a similar name to an Australian ISP, and we just got an abuse complaint for them misdirected to us. I replied politely and told them who to contact. The classy response:

I don't even.

The "you're BLOCKED!" part at the end is just amazing, so much impotent rage. :allears: Any other details you can divulge?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

I didn't quite phrase it that bluntly, but the whole reason I went in with a "I've got an offer" line was explicitly because I didn't want to burn bridges. I didn't really expect that they would be able or willing to make a legitimate counter-offer (which was a bit of a gamble), but did want to let them know it wasn't anything personal (even though it kind of was).

For the record, this was the same company that when I inquired about the higher cost-of-living expenses and moving costs, was told by the CEO that "if you want to make games you have to be willing to eat ramen for awhile". For the job title, I was making about 40% of the area average.

The gaming industry is a loving shambles and 40% average sounds about right honestly. Give up your dreams. :smith:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone else blast this out of their computer when they return a broken Mac to a client?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Seal that thing in a bag, go down to the morgue, and ask to borrow their incinerator.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lightning Jim posted:

Probably a dead iDRAC

aren't vampires undead?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Customer wants forensic data retrieval from a hard drive. We started work on it Monday. Desk got cleaned up Tuesday. Hard drive's been missing since. Customer calls today asking how it's going.

:getin: :suicide:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Have you tried accessing shadow copies? I had a CryptoWall encounter last month and it turned out that the version I got was so awful that they neglected to delete the shadow copies. No promises but you might be in luck.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I gained like 15 pounds going from an overnight stock job to my current job, yeah. :smith: Hoping I can lose some of that when we renovate the workshop and switch to a workbench style where we stand most of the time.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I wish my shop's advertisements were only as cheesy as that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A whiny customer came in.

When they dropped off their machine last week (an HP all-in-one that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard), I noticed something was odd: the 7 key was missing. The rubber contact and scissor-switch was still present, but the button itself was gone. In addition, the wireless mouse was hosed, the left mouse button working only intermittently. Figuring that this was just the way the machine was, I fixed the issues and called them in to pick it up.

Suddenly the missing key is our fault and now we're irresponsible and they want a replacement. Not having the exact replacement in stock, I offer the closest thing: A like-new solar-powered wireless keyboard that retails for about $90. The only issues with it were some light scratches on the side.

Old lady notices the scratches and goes berzerk, saying that we're trying to rip her off. I explain that it's the closest thing I have in stock right now and that I cannot do anything else. She states that she'll take it, but she won't be happy with it, and that she's upset that she needs to learn an entirely new configuration (read: the delete button is slightly smaller) to use her computer. She's going on about how we betrayed her trust and all this that and the other.

gently caress olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Fool posted:

After having been burned by that exact situation before, we have a strict policy about noting damage when a computer is dropped on in our service center. The other thing that people bitch about and we have to be very careful about noting are laptop power adapters.

Yeah, I'm writing up a separate disclaimer sheet that people will need to sign. I'm thinking that when we get a computer in, we inspect it first for these issues, then if we find any the customer will need to sign off acknowledging that they exist. It won't cost extra or anything (and if they want it repaired we can certainly do that too) but I'm really annoyed that this lady wants to bitch about recieving $110 in merchandise.

• Locked thread