Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BigPaddy posted:

The problem with lync is it allows people to talk to me when I am busy.

That's what the DnD status is for. It's basically a big gently caress off to anyone who wants to IM me.(I *think* users are prompted with a "are you *sure* you want to bug him? He does have DnD on...") I set that regularly when I'm doing project work, design reviews, etc. and it works fairly well. Every now and then, however:

quote:

:v:Hey
:v:You there?
:v:I have a question

:mad:I'm very busy. Please send an email with your question. I'll get to it when I can

:v:This will only take a second.

:mad:Send an email

:v:So anyway, I was wondering if the turboencabulator will do X.

:v:I mean I *know* the documentation says it will do X

:v:But I wasn't sure

:v:So even though it says it will do X, does it in fact do X?
:v:You there?

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

baquerd posted:

If so, there must be some sort of setting option. When I message some dipshit with DnD set, it tells me I can't. It's fine if the recipient wants to ignore me, but don't refuse to put my message though lync!

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's a client or server side setting. I'll have to dig around and see if I can figure it out, because I honestly want these little distractions to stop.

I can understand getting frustrated if it's a user that's abusing DnD by having it on all the time or if they are an escalation point, but seriously when I don't want to be disturbed its for a reason. Short of a fire or natural disaster, there's literally no issue that can't wait for the 30-60 mins I want for some uninterrupted time to work. And I think in those cases I'll figure it out from the people running by my desk burning and screaming.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

luminalflux posted:

Slack owns, we run it and people can connect with IRC or XMPP clients. We also run a big internal jabber server but honestly the fact that all history is stored and is searchable owns bones.

While I rather we spun our own jabber server, I will say that Lync's *one* saving grace is that conversations are autosaved by participant into the Conversations folder on Exchange and are indexed and searchable. It's great when you need to deal with those "But I never said that!" excuses.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BlazingSun posted:

I browse this thread a lot and I thought it would be best to share this. After a week of hell, this is the best request I have seen to date:

:ghost: :"Play scary movie in lunch room for halloween event"

Walked down to the theater in the building, signed onto the corporate Netflix account, and played "The Evil Dead".

Never have I seen a room full of people happier than when I did that.

Happy Halloween everyone!

That's awesome.

I probably would have gone with Alien (the first one) myself. I remember watching that *alone* the first time long ago in the days if CRT TVs and RCA jacks. I was scared spitless. When I got to college, there was a guy who had never seen it so we rented it. I swear if the couch hadn't been in the way, he would have vibrated through the floor he was so tense and anxious. To me that movie will forever be the pinnacle of horror.

Your choice was probably better over all, but I think the fallout that might have been generated from Alien would have been more entertaining in the long run :cheeky:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Knormal posted:

We use an internally-developed Oracle webapp for timekeeping. It went down in the middle of last month, every PC that tried to load the site just showed a blank page. Viewing the HTML source showed it was indeed just a blank page with no body content. The app admins still insisted everything looked fine on the server and it must be a network/desktop issue blocking the site from loading. This went on for weeks.

poo poo like this and the AD story earlier are why packet captures are your best friend.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dennyk posted:

Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without tcpdump. If you know how to use tcpdump and strace, then you can diagnose pretty much any "something's just not working" issue on a Linux system.

For sure.

If things get escalated to us as "our poo poo is fine, it has to be your stuff", we get our customer's network staff on the line and we have a big packet capture party. After we make sure NTP is working properly on all the network equipment (boy, was THAT a lesson learned).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

m.hache posted:

So I've been asked to set up a disaster recovery plan to get the business up and running within a few hours in the event our building get's firebombed... Because the Jilted Ex is crazy.

I have less than 15 days to accomplish this.

Anyone know of a good cloud host in Canada (GTA)? I figure the best disaster recovery option is to just move all of our poo poo off site. I don't really want to Co-locate because our servers are poo poo and I'd like to virtualize everything into some off site location and keep a RoDC/Fileserver here on site for Roaming profiles and the like.

Are you tasked with DR for the server farm, infrastructure, desktops or a combination of all three? Because the scope is wildly different for each.

Servers you have two choices for co-lo. Either migrate to a cloud service like Amazon S3, Office365, etc.. or create a hot or warm site at a different data center that will allow you spool up in a minimum amount of time.

Infrastructure, yeesh. That one will be thorny, but you want to make sure you can fail-over to a secondary provider for any of your Internet facing hosts. A cloud service could handle this as well. Don't forget phones and VPN services. Soft phones are your friend for DR situations.

For desktop, you'll either need a DR location for employees to work from (think bare necessities to get online) or some kind of managed services "hot desk" location. You'll also want to mandate all local files be stored on network storage (cloud or as part of your DR warm image). Laptop users I assume can use VPN from a home office in a DR scenario. You can probably find some cloud served solution for this as well.

All DR situations suck, but they suck in different ways. If you spin your own, there's a large cost involved in time, materials, and technical expertise. If you use a cloud, there's still a cost depending on the SLA you want, but also a lot of the nuts and bolts are out of your hands so smoothing out issues during an honest to god DR can take a lot longer. I've worked for companies that have had all in house DR solutions and a mix of "cloud" and in-house.

Ultimately, unless you're a small shop, you're not going to come up with a fully baked plan in 15 days. Even then, that's pushing it. Good DR takes a lot of time to plan and a good, bare-metal understanding of your entire infrastructure and the inter-relationships needed to make everything work. Typically, a comprehensive DR plan is created by SME's in a variety of positions in the company. Everything from network, servers, and desktops to HR.

If it were me, I'd ask for clarification on the request. If it's a high level "give us options we can explore", you can do that. Any thing more in depth, or if it's a "propose a solution and have it done in the next 8 weeks" they're putting a knife to your throat. If they don't allow you to create a project and pull in everyone needed to make this thing, no one will be happy.

EDIT: poo poo. I just read your last post. drat son, that's harsh.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 21, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooky posted:

I swear this is the number one thing that gets me the "Are you a wizard?" look from colleagues. I've no idea why it isn't more widely known.

I have never heard of it before today. While I mostly work on a Mac, when I'm in the office I do use my Windows box and I can totally see using this when presenting mock-ups for new procedures for some of the projects I do. There are also some people who create staging and setup documentation that I know who will think I'm the second coming of Jesus when I show them this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

That sounds like a lot of techs for only 120 people. Are the 5 of you in charge of the entire infrastructure or just the end user support? Either way sounds like an awful lot of man power.

I started in a smallish business like that when I used to do network admin. I took care of the network and managed the rest of the team. We had two to handle desktop and phone issues and one more who took care of the servers. There were times when it would get idle, but usually there was enough going on to keep everyone out of trouble.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Entropic posted:

email is terrible '80s technology that ought to be rebuilt from the ground up but sadly we're stuck with it.

70's actually, but that just reinforces your point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

I know there is rules and stuff and the whole zero-inbox theory, but its too much loving work when you have a job that is more than just managing/responding to emails all day.

The thing is, despite the time you spend setting it up, it saves you so much more in the long run. I usually get 1500 emails a month and most of them are actionable, project updates, or client correspondence that I need. Even with a half rear end filing system, I could not manage the eventual bloat in my Inbox. I'm not saying it will work for you, but it's been a god send for me. The hardest part is actually setting up a workflow (and using it).

Here's how I implemented it. (I use Outlook, so YMMV).
    Create an archive folder. Move all your poo poo from up to a month ago into that archive.
    Set up tags, tags for clients, tags for projects, tags, tags, tags.
    Change your inbox to thread view
    Apply tags to the remaining emails.
    Create a Folder called "2014 Dec Cabinet"
    Every email that DOES NOT REQUIRE a response or action gets moved into there.
    Make two more folders. "Needs attention" for emails that need to be dealt with in the nebulous future. "Do Today" are for actions that need to be done today. Move the remaining emails into one of those two folders.
    Done.
Going forward:
    EVERY email gets either tags applied or deleted immediately. It also gets moved immediately to one of your three folders.
    Every day (multiple times) review the contents of "Need Attention" move them to "Do today" if necessary.
    Do all the "Do Today"
    All completed goes into your cabinet.
    At the end of the month, move the current cabinet into the archive and create a new cabinet.
    If you need to find emails, search on your tags. As long as you apply tags religiously, you can zero in on an email even if you can't quite recall who sent it or when.

You'll start thinking about how to get your actionable items more "in your face" and start using a task manager (Wunderlist, OmniFocus, Things...), Evernote with hierarchical tags (I gave up on OneNote), and IFTTT to automate a lot of it.

Join us. Be a GTD zealot and start proselytizing that it just works and annoy others like I do :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Email management chat: I have the inbox and one other folder, the "Cover your arse" folder. Everytime I think an email I send, or receive, could very well save my job, I chuck them in there.

I hear that. I have 50GB of space for my mail account so it all lives on the server. As I decommission a cabinet folder (I just move it under a folder called "old"), I also create a PST of just that folder and keep it on my portable drive. It keeps them nice and lean and I can open each one quickly and easily in another outlook client.I also have a PST that I overwrite of my current "active" cabinet and action folders.

It's just piece of mind in case of dispute and "oops, the mail server ate all of your email. Yes, all of it. And no, uh..., no backups. Nope. None here, sorry"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

Tying in with this, we recently found out that on the newer versions of iOS, if someone has both their Exchange account and an iCloud account created, they'll fight with each other until you turn off iCloud, set up Exchange, then re-enable iCloud. It's the stupidest poo poo and one of my coworkers ran into it and spent a good hour trying to get an Exchange account working after someone upgraded to the newest iOS.

Huh. I never had that issue. Do you use the Exchange ActiveSync connection or just POP/IMAP? I use the Exchange connector and didn't have any issues. In fact I just deleted my old account and created the new one for the new server about two weeks after 8 dropped. The iCloud account just sat there humming merrily away.

The thing that pisses me off is that at times it will randomly decide which "from" it wants to use which can be a pain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

deimos posted:

Drop floor and ceiling trays are the perfect combo IMHO.

Yeah, back in my prehistoric times, used a combination of both in the data center. The drop floors were for fiber and power. The cable trays from the ceiling were for all the bundled copper wiring entering and leaving the racks.

But honestly, as long as you have some plan to physically manage the cables, you'll be a leg up on the majority of Data Center teams. Oh, and inspect any vendor work done and make them adhere to whatever your standard it. And buy a label maker.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spog posted:

See also:

Inkjet printers
Razors
Digital music
far too many other things...

I'm with you on the razors and inkjet printers, but given DRM is no longer a thing with digital music I don't think that's really accurate, just about every player I could use will play AAC, MP3, FLAC (not sure about Apple Lossless, but I don't think they actually sell anything using that). Now digital video on other hand will still be a thing until traditional media withers on the vine still clutching their DRM with cold hands.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ursine Asylum posted:

RFID? I thought the thing was 100% UV ink on the lids. Having an RFID in literally every cup would be a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something disposable.

I don't know about UV, but there is a tiny camera that reads a dot code around the rim of the cup. It's already been defeated and some of the 3rd party pod makers have reversed engineered the DRM (they're basically daring Kurig to come after them, Green Mountain I think is the company).

You can just reuse the foil lid of an Official K-Cup since I don't think they have any way to track unique codes per K-Cup (Wait until you need an always on Internet connection for your coffee maker)

EDIT: OK, I was wrong too. It's not a dot-code, but IR ink. The weird thing is Kurig is calling it K-Cup RFID, but the description doesn't match any implementation of RFID I know of.

Some article I googled posted:

Keurig's use of RFID K-Cup technology for its machines includes proprietary ink that was "inspired by counterfeiting technology used by the US Mint." Without going into too much detail, Keurig’s vice president of brewer engineering explained "that an infrared light shines on the ink marking and registers the wavelength of the light reflected back."

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 13, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

My desktop guy took my personal laptop off my desk, shut it down, and gave it to some random person to use for a loaner for the rest of the day. You could say that I went through several phases of emotions when I got back to my desk and my laptop was missing.

Holy poo poo. Tell me there were consequences for pulling that poo poo.

And that's why I lock my personal electronics in my filing drawers when I'm going to be away. Granted it's just a Steelcase, but it's enough for a restricted area.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

Laptop lock time brother. I have mine locked up at all times and the password hint is "gently caress off this a my personal laptop". I don't give a poo poo if some one wants to my borrow my MacBook because they hate your loaner dell. You can kiss my rear end.

That's brilliant, I'll have to do the same.

I do bring my personal laptop into work a *lot* since I'm a slave to Omnifocus and Omnigraffle. I should probably get a kensignton lock for it rather than lock it away when I'm not at my desk.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Knormal posted:

My personal laptop is a netbook running Linux. Anytime anyone at work sees it I get asked either "How can you see anything on a screen that small?" or "What kind of Windows is that?".

Yeah, I get "how did you manage to get one of those?"

"With lots of money."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Ask him how much of his day was waiting for reports to finish in whatever product he was using.

Yeah, those sound like "what sounds more impressive than reacting to dashboard lights" than someone that actually does the kinds of jobs people normally associate with info sec. The real jobs tend to have fairly bland titles.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Support-wise, I don't see much a distinction between a laptop, desktop, or tablet these days. 95% of the work is software-related, not swapping out parts.

Motorola made a phone that had a laptop dock thing, it was pretty much a netbook.

A very poo poo netbook. The Atrix is what soured me on android phones being usable (and yes, I know it's lightyears better now, but I have a solution and workflow that work for me)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

drat!

I haven't used Xmodem since Zmodem came around.

I don't recall, did any routers support Kermit? Kermit was the poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stubblyhead posted:

I got into that stuff long after zmodem happened, but I think I tried xmodem a few times just to say I had. Ymodem-g was my jam though. I was willing to sacrifice any meaningful error correction for that ~10% boost in speed. I was an impatient child, and 2400 baud was quite the ordeal for me.

After being a freshman with 24 300 baud lines, 12 1200 baud, and 8 2400 baud lines, 2400 baud seemed wicked fast to me at the time. I would even put up with 300 because "I'm remote! From my dorm! To campus computers!"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tarbrush posted:

What happens if they puncture the toner? Sprays everywhere? Everyone gets cancer?

You know that "I Love Lucy" episode where she gets flour all over everything and everyone? That except the photo-negative version.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

A recruitment email came in...

... a Citrix internal recruiter hit me up to be a "Senior Technical Relationship Manager."

This may not be what you think it is. Typically a "Relationship Manager" is not the person that deals with nuts and bolts, but deals with nuts and dolts (thank you, thank you). The RM is the one that liaises between the customer and the real technical personnel, so they don't have to interact with lovely clients directly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

That doesn't sound awful. Even if it's Joe Non-Technical calling with "how am I do Citrix" I could at least be doing it remotely, if that's what the flex means.

Well, just keep in mind RM's typically aren't help desk (at least not in my experience) and not really allowed to do any troubleshooting with a customer. Their duties are more along the lines of account management than any kind of technical support. Like, getting PMs and other resources assigned for any project work. Setting up conference bridges and noting any customer concerns or needs that don't require immediate resolution and forwarding them on to the technical team. Depending on your career arc, that could be a dead-end or a cul-de-sac at best.

Honestly, just get clarification from the recruiter on job duties and expectations. Titles are just words. Each company has a different idea of what they are. I'm just letting you know what that title has meant in companies I've worked for.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Why wouldn't each device have a separate account?

Because that can be a HUGE pain in the rear end rotating in new equipment as poo poo breaks. For sites I've managed, we use a role based account. It uses EAP and we have a plan to eventually move to ESP-TLS.

Regardless, I'm flabbergasted that it turned into an all day affair. All the equipment I've worked with DEFAULTS to logging 802.11 events. It will not only tell me that there was an EAP timeout due to invalid RADIUS credentials, but it will tell me the wireless MAC it happened on. The same holds true for WPA2-PSK. Or EAP-TLS (there it gives me the ID tied to the client certificate that failed).

EDIT: Just want to specify, I'm talking specifically about wireless devices like inventory scanners and barcode label printers. Some of my clients have upwards of 5000+ of these devices across 100s of locations. Creating individual accounts is a non-starter for those. Laptops and the like just use the RADIUS/AD account of the user. There's one client I'd *love* to move to EAP-TLS, but they need to get off their rear end and set up a halfway decent PKI first.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 3, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Throw them all into their own OU and never look at them again. I do agree that one login is best though.

Well, to be fair, I was being simplistic in my set up. For 60 devices, sure, one role-based account is great. For 1000s? We'll break up the locations to use accounts in different RADIUS groups (similar to OUs I'm going to guess), maybe 30-40 of them. And each group has one active unique role-based account. No one location in a group is closer geographically than 200 miles or so. If a device gets misplaced/stolen (happens from time to time) or credentials get compromised, then we only have to create a new role account for that group and push the new credentials to 100-120 devices as opposed to pushing to several thousand.

I still want EAP-TLS. But the client needs a decent PKI set up that can automate cert distribution and revocation. Because gently caress pushing those out manually.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's annoying I can only carry 5 days over a year without upper-management approval but that's mainly through the company recognising that someone not taking all their time off is indicative of a problem somewhere.

Not only that, but for some departments it's mandatory to take at least 75% of your time. I know in some of the security positions I've held, I was informed I had to take most of my PTO time during the year it's accrued or it would be a cause for discipline. It's another check put in place for activity audits to pick up anomalies. Kind a solution to "who watches the watchmen" kind of thing. Not a perfect one, but it will snap up most people who just can't resist access to all that sweet sweet information.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

When I worked for a major bank, we had to take two consecutive weeks of vacation each year (notified before I signed anything), as a fraud detection method.

As I was working on some of the automated fraud detection systems, the actual method was me and my boss cross-checking one another's work. Still had to take the time, which lead to some nice long vacations.

Yep, I worked in a global security team for a fairly large international bank a few years ago. We had very strict security controls, including the "you must be away from work for at least one whole week during the year". While you were gone, there was a minimum level audit done on network patterns, what data you touched and where it moved, that kind of stuff. If they even had a hint of anything off, they made you take another week (this one not eating into your vacation time) as they did a deeper dive. At least that was in the playbook. Never seen it need to be executed in my group. I'd heard of it happening at some of the regional security teams, however.

Also things like access to encryption hardware required multiple users authenticating to access (we're talking inter-bank transport encryption type stuff, or bank-to-bank transaction logs). There was a big safe with multiple keyed compartments. Each compartment containing tamper evident pouches with one time use authentication credentials. It was crazy movie level stuff. But it worked and kept the auditors VERY happy. It was an unmitigated pain in the rear end, but by far one of the best group of people and more interesting jobs I've had.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

Aww fudge, Abhi from IDC Technologies - THE IDC Technologies - has a position that's actually kinda right up my alley and what I'm looking for. :-(

Might as well see how deep this rabbit hole goes, I'd sure love to go down in goon history as the P-p-p-powerbook! equivalent of SH/SC.

Let us know if they ask for your DoB and SSN on the first phone conversation. Apparently that's something they do (did?) according to Glass Door review on doing Interviews with them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

me again posted:
... kindly revert the info and I'll advise if we can move forward.

Looks like you're speaking their language, at least.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

And the retina display models are just fine to open :colbert:

I believe he was referring to the ability to upgrade the ram and SSD.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I worked with a Danial Ick and logins and emails were first initial last name.

Used to work for an International Bank: Dutchman named Cock Frijters

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

And then HR poisons any potential relationship you might develop with this new hire by saying, "Eh. IT is slow to set up your desk space. Blame them." and on his first day this new hire has a bad experience with IT right out the gate.

Drop your entire workload to get this guy set up, and on his first day make sure you swing by his cube to make sure he is squared away and knows his way around the network and knows the rules about PSTs, file storage and access to ~resources~.

Do this and he'll finish his first day with "Man, those IT guys are on the job" instead of "I did fuckall at work today because IT couldn't get their act together."

People in this thread wonder why there's a negative opinion of IT workers. This is a solvable problem.

Holy poo poo, where do you work where one person does all that?

If your time is not valuable, then tinker away with that stuff. But policies, procedures and ticketing systems are in place for a reason. When I used to do desktop, we were told in no uncertain terms "no ticket, no work". When on boarding can sometimes mean 10-20 people a week (especially during periods of growth), this is vitally important. Otherwise you run into a couple issues:

a) Expectations. You bent/broke the procedures just that one time. Well done, now you're expected to do it going forward by everyone else.
b) Chaos. If poo poo starts getting done out of channel, then ITs workflow and task management goes to poo poo. In an Enterprise environment this can and will lead to people getting canned.

All it takes is one or two times of "I'm sorry, it cannot be done today. It will be scheduled for completion within X business days of when you submitted the ticket." When they have an employee that's not being productive, they start to realize the importance of following procedure and actually start following it.

As far as "poisoning" departmental relationships, well, if co-workers are that unprofessional that they start adopting an adversarial stance, there are far deeper and more serious issues than someone asking for a last minute change. That's when it might be wise to sharpen up the CV and start casting the net.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

guppy posted:

It depends on the person, it really varies a lot. I've had CIOs that were very tech-oriented, and I've had ones that were mostly just finance guys who got slotted into a spot where there was a need. To be honest, the finance guys are easier to work with.

Wow, now that I think about it, that's been my experience as well. Never made the connection before. The "tech" CIO always wanted to poke his nose into poo poo and make recommendations that made sense 10 years ago in the Land Before Time, but unworkable in the current environments. The "non-tech" CIOs focused strictly on management and interfacing with the board for us. The best one I ever had was basically, "We hired you for your expertise, so I'm going to trust you know what you're talking about. Just don't make me, the group, or this company look bad."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

The Security Team will be on site next week to address any concerns and to provide Workplace Violence Training to employees.
I see they're one of those, punish everyone for the transgressions of one kind of places.

NINJA EDIT: Unless it's training on HOW to commit Workplace Violence.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

So a salesguy came in:

One of the clients I support bought a trailer and had it wired to the building for power and internet. Now all the sales guys have been shoved out there. The wiring was just finished Friday and I'm at the client site to tie it in today.

:clint: hey blackswordca, so were getting internet in the trailer today?
:colbert: Yep, I just need to do some setup but it should be up soon.
:clint: fantastic. oh, make sure you turn on wireless
:colbert: turn on wireless? you have a new WAP for me to put in?
:clint: No, I mean turn on the wireless so it works in the trailer as well
:colbert: wireless doesn't work like that. Besides, we just ran a bunch of data cables here to plug your laptops in
:clint: no, that's too much of a pain. The guy at Best Buy said all you need to do is change the setting in the router and wireless will work, so get it done.

If you don't use any kind of device authentication, watch those network ports like a hawk. These are the kind of dipshits who will take an off-the-shelf wireless AP and put it on your network. They'll leave authentication to Open since they can't be bothered to "remember another stupid password".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WhoNeedsAName posted:

We've started assuming that T1 are looking for us to do the exact opposite of what they're requesting on the ticket...

It's working out pretty well so far.

I hate that we had to do this, but I actually had to create THE BINDER OF TROUBLESHOOTING for T1 because T2 was bitching about "they're not doing it right"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket just came in:

Subject line: "Hello ladies and gentlemen, I would be greatly appreciative if you would come upstairs as soon as possible tomorrow morning and assist me with a sp..."

No body text follows. The subject is too long for our helpdesk app. This is not the first time this happened with this user by far.

Show up with a spork

• Locked thread