Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I used this exact video to explain why I'm not adding time zone calculations to a report, it should be done at the data gathering/database level using some existing code. And until that happens, my reports will be in UTC, since that's what the data source uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KoRMaK posted:

re: Timezones. I store the timezone the user prefers with the datetime, then on render I display it with the timezone info next to it so that there are no questions.

If they are in UTC, you can just render them adjusted to the user's preferred timezone. I don't know your exact situation, but if they just want to see the times in EST it wouldn't be that hard or zany to do.

At the time it happened, Tableau either did not have any time-zone-adjustment features or I didn't know about them (and couldn't find any).

I wasn't about to start making calculated fields to add/remove hours from the date.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Every time I see this (or one like it), my favorite part is the reverse Hiroshima shadow where someone was clearly standing in the middle of the room.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The guy from my vendor just sat there as a middle man watching somebody else do his work. He wasted his entire day on it.

This guy is going places. He'll be in middle management within a year.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MANime in the sheets posted:

A customer got crypto.

Their only backup system was on-prem, and all users in the domain had full read-write access to it.

The first thing they did after removing all suspect workstations from the network was to delete all new/unknown files from all their servers.

Fortunately, we had nothing to do with backups for them because we're 'too expensive' and they don't trust anyone else to do it right...

The number of companies that pay lip service to backups is truly staggering. In order of most common offenders to least, I'd say that most small businesses fall afoul of one or more of the following:

• Thinking that copying the file(s) to another location, and removing the original, counts as a backup. It doesn't: if you only have one copy, it's not a backup.
  • Thinking that RAID is a backup. It's not. Really this is just an extension of the above, but it's so common it's worth listing on its own.
  • Thinking that it's okay to have both your backups and your original data accessible from the same computer. It's not. Ransomware will gently caress you up.
  • Thinking it's safe to have your (only) backup and original data physically located near each other. It's not, and it doesn't have to be a complete disaster that levels the building to take out all your data.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/nosql/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

That's a Xerox, isn't it?

Is it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/opinion/verbatim-what-is-a-photocopier.html

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really prefer teams over SfB

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I ask "What changed?"

The immediate reply is "nothing," every time.

(It's always something.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

EMR is all poo poo, but dental-related EMR is Taco Bell poo poo.

God drat I hate dealing with all of them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Fool posted:

Stop me when you’re triggered

Dentrix
Softdent
EZDental
Patterson
Eaglesoft
Dexis
Gendex
Practiceworks

I got as far as D

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Last I heard, his boss was still a total micromanaging douche, but larches was in full DGAF mode anyway.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lol the part that gets me is

quote:

I am also a bit concerned about how I could get a 54.49999% if grades are graded by absolute numbers and not such small decimals.

You can get all kinds of decimals when calculating an average! Try getting a percentage for your 1923 points out of 2501 possible for the semester. (the answer has a shitload of decimal places)

Engineering student doesn't get basic math, I guess?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey guys can we start again from the beginning? My lunch ran long and I missed the first fifteen minutes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mewse posted:

I've compiled the ideas so far and put them together as an outline for a new OP:

file:///C:/Users/Dave/Documents/New thread project/Outline rev 2.docx

To servicedesk
Cc CEO

Hey service desk this link doesn’t work please fix this is affecting production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Shouldn't be too bad. Also, can someone whip up some code to handle time zones? Shouldn't be too hard, just add and subtract a few hours depending on where they are. Easy!

Of all suggestions in this thread this one made me cringe most.

Obligatory https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

• Locked thread