Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

psydude posted:

A boss came in. And decided to up and upgrade one of our production T3 routers at 4:00 yesterday, despite the fact that the plan involved opening a proactive case with AT&T (which we hadn't been able to do yet due to our federal manager being busy) and for a solid 30 minutes for configuration audit ahead of time and 30 minutes of testing afterward. Of course I got roped into all of this poo poo at 4:30 (without any heads up) since I was the one who had done the configuration and wound up leaving late.

Only two more weeks at this place.

If you gave notice already, why didn't you have plans that you couldn't break? I feel like once I give notice at my place, I will not be doing a single thing above and beyond and would really try to limit myself to knowledge transfer as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in.

It was one of the owners. He tore me a new one for getting sales to send a quote to the customer I posted about yesterday. He then told me I should have tried replacing the NIC before quoting a new PC. When I mentioned that it was at the behest of my manager he said "you are a big boy, you can make your own decisions"

So I guess the lovely management starts at the top. He is setting you up to get screwed over for insubordination or something.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

enotnert posted:

I got a lot of emails last week. . .

The person they hired to replace my boss is leaving (evidently she's been 'working from china' for the bulk of 2 years, and according to my interactions with grad students in that program in bars. . . my term in that department is known as the time when things worked).

Well, pretty much every professor in those two departments are calling for me to apply, except of course for professor iPad.

You of course would never return to the same position I hope. I would only consider returning somewhere if it was a change in responsibility and pay grade, especially after two years. Otherwise you are saying to them (and yourself) that you haven't grown in the intervening two years.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
We use a program called Atelier Web Remote Commander and it doesn't require a preinstalled module on the machines. I think it uses the AT command to send an executable down that it then connects to. You have an option to tell the user you are connecting or not. I never do because who cares. I tell them I am connecting then do my poo poo. Some people make it pop up the permissions window but meh.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Kuros posted:

God dammit lady, you do not spill liquid on your $1500 laptop, frying it and then while I'm getting you a loaner ask me if IT will get you a $2500 Macbook Air.

Some loving stones you have.

I am not sure I can think of a macbook air configuration that would cost much more than 2k.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Alctel posted:

On my VERY FIRST day, one of the HR people handed in a USB stick they had borrowed. My boss started scanning it, only to collapse in laughter, and beckon everyone in the room over to take a look. It was full of naked photos of the HR person with their boyfriend :|.

I hope you reported it to HR.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Crowley posted:

That's the one. Thanks. :)

:(

Copy the link and paste it in a new window.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

OMG
Im on holiday. Just went by work to pickup some personal affects, going back to work monday. Now get this: My personal cupboard has been broken into. Literally ripped open. And I know exactly who it was. That shithead feels entitled to have access to MY dvds for work at all times. Apparently this includes breaking into my only personal space at work. Currently trying to determine how far to raise this issue. Considering calling in HR and maybe even threaten with cops. I am glowing white on the inside with rage. How can one think breaking into a coworkers personal belongings coild ever be ok... :psypop:

If you guys want I can keep you updated.

Raise hell. That is a serious violation of trust. He should be fired as any employee handbook that I have seen prohibits theft.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
blackswordca is the corvettefisher for the new thread.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I interviewed at a software company in the health sector located in Boston a few months back, their Friday's were basically a half-day in that they'd spend the afternoon drinking beers and just shooting the poo poo. My interview was on a Friday afternoon, my interviewer was drinking then.

Was it in Watertown rather than Boston proper?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Me :v: Getting a bunch of weird errors for these client images lemme see what is wrong
:) Oh they weren't sysprep'ed but that shouldn't matter

apparently to some DNS name changes = SID changes :negative:

Now I wait for the inevitable "well I never had to do it on XP/2003!"

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

According to Mark Russinovich SID duplication doesn't matter. Is that not the case?

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 24, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

Although the look on the face when I explained some of the situations I deal with here was worth it regardless if i get the job.

Can you expand upon this? Just wondering if you tell stories that make your current place of employment look bad. That would be a huge no-no and if I was interviewing someone and they did that, they would probably not get the job.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackmanjew posted:

Multiple tickets came in.

Our web server wasn't making a connection with the UPS API.

Tracked it down to a DNS issue and sent our hosting company an email letting them know there DNS server was down.

Their reply "oh yeah we decommissioned that server this morning, we didn't think anyone was using it."

They set the server up for us six months ago :psyduck:

What does decommissioned mean in this context?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

And you don't even need local admin to install Dropbox!

Haha this is what I was going to bring up. I had to spend a bit of time and effort to ensure that people couldn't install dropbox on machines that they had no admin right.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

MJP posted:

I have no clue what that is, but my boss wanted me to move from Mon-Fri to working Saturdays with a comp day during the week, so long as it wasn't Monday or Friday. So yes, that thing in the picture was my boss.

Edit: A ticket went out...

Last Thursday I had to stay late to participate in testing sites on our new Websense Triton appliance. No more Websense application, it's all its own box now. Part of it involved some new protocol and my desktop was moved to a new vlan to test.

Testing completes, I go home Thursday, I was sick on Friday, I come back on Monday and as we found during testing, some internal Sharepoint sites are jacked up. Except mine are still jacked up.

Still on the test vlan, I emailed the project people asking them to move me back to the production desktop vlan. No response. Come in today, I still can't get to internal Sharepoint sites.

I guess it was my turn to be THIS IS IMPACTING PRODUCTION!!1!!!1!!! but if nothing else I sure as hell hope this gets me out of the new Websense appliance. I can see the forums but any graphics are no-go, and it's tough hunting for the 1px-sized Edit/Reply buttons in threads.

Seems really lovely to not allow you two days off in a row. That would be a huge problem for me. I worked out with my group to have Sunday Monday off and work a truncated Saturday shift.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

Sort of a cross-thread thing by now, but poo poo that's not pissing me off today: catching up on this thread, and seeing Lum and Sirotan being the only two people who ever seem to be able to spell "HIPAA" correctly. Thank you, ladies. :)

It is HIPPA like a female hippo.

Recently an email went out to students about HIPAA training with the subject line :HIPPA & Infection Control Trainings

I feel like the IT office are the only people that consistently spell it correctly.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

wa27 posted:

They're Word 2003 templates.

Oh nevermind then. Carry on.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Migishu posted:

Aight, so changing language settings in XP should NOT be this loving weird.

A user has a virtual computer that was set, by default, to English. Someone else decides to log into his computer, sets the language settings to Korean. For some reason, this applies to everyone's account. I log in with my domain admin account, change the language settings back, and restart the computer. However, this only seems to apply to MY account, not to the users accounts.

Is there no way for me to change this to apply to all accounts?

Try logging in with a local user and changing it or failing that a local admin.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Engineer goes to a brand new client's site to perform a P2V of their only server.

The mouse cable was trapped under the UPS. So the engineer yanks the cable, which knocks over the UPS *and the server* - Server is completely dead, 2 of the 3 drives had failed before the server was knocked over apparently. We have 1 backup with a 50/50 chance of being a successful restore. Currently calling anyone who had cached exchange mode on and exporting to PSTs. Fun!

They fired the dude one has to assume?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

tehloki posted:

A ticket came in

A coach's personal computer got cryptolockered, he was in Florida and unreachable and the countdown expired long ago. He doesn't care about the files. Right now I am working a football game so reinstalling windows isn't an option. I'm about to hit it with combofix to see if that gets it back into some kind of usable state. Anything else I should do before giving it back?

I wouldn't give it back without telling him not to use it for anything he wouldn't want a third party viewing until you have a chance to format it. Banking etc.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Would a passthrough scanner be suitable for whatever they are scanning? Like a scansnap s1100 or something. They don't take up much space and you don't have to worry about as many moving parts as a flatbed. They are a little cumbersome to use though if they have to do high volume scanning.

Another option would be to ship the thing there and just leave it there when done maybe? Have it waiting for them at the hotel might be nice. Not sure if money is an issue.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

tehloki posted:

Why does every woman in my office have a space heater? Do they not make any women's clothing that is warm enough to wear in a 70 degree environment that is acceptable in a "business casual" workplace? Do women lose body heat faster than men?

This is relevant to a lot of tickets where the entire sales floor will yell POWER OUTAGE and I'll go around and unplug all the space heaters and turn the (single, for an entire ~20 seat room) breaker back on only to find them using the heaters again 20 minutes later. Sometimes the heater is just pointed directly at the computer case, as if to spite me.

Once we got a call about a machine that couldn't power on. Problem? The space heater pointing at the front of the case melted/warped it to the point where the power button no longer made a connection...

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Many years back my wife "volunteered" me to go help a friend of hers

I am still trying to get my wife to understand that I don't help people outside of immediate family/close friends not because I am a jerk but because it quickly becomes unmanageable.

She recently asked me if I could help her parents' neighbor get Russian television on their TV similar to how I set up her parents. This would mean getting internet service, a wireless router, a computer (bill is payable solely online) and a Roku. I sometimes feel bad about it but I already have an issue where a neighbor of mine comes to me for computer help and am already the IT guy for my mother, my sister and father in Italy, my wife, my kids, my wife's parents and my godparents.

I really regret not just telling people that I am a garbageman because it isn't like they would ask me to take a bag with me when I leave.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

Offer them some gum.. that's the general subtle way to do it.

When in the company of many people, offer them some gum. Don't offer it to anyone else and don't take a stick out for yourself first.

Sterling_Archer posted:

(someone brought in router from home and it got dry-walled in).

Is that what happened or is that your guess?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sterling_Archer posted:

Considering we found it, I would not call it a guess.

I love poo poo like that. Servers getting walled in to the back of a closet, random equipment in a room that is bricked over, poo poo like that.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Thought you guys might find this interesting. This drive weighs a shitload (key for scale), stores 120mb of data and has a stepper motor for the read heads rather than a swing arm (heads move straight in and out perpendicular to disc motion). It is a pretty neat piece of old technology.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Moey posted:

Those looks like my old college dorm keys. Work for a college by chance?

Yeah. I work at a dental school. Just realized that is my housekey however.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Edit: Reading comprehension.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 27, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I always tell people that sure, I can do that as a service off-hours. And I tell them that I tend to charge half to 1/3rd of geek squad.

I have said similar except that I charge 2-3 times what geek squad does. And also this was not with someone I work with at my job as the answer to that is sorry don't have the time.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 4, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

spog posted:

For further benefit of the American audience: the main difference between the Severn Bridge and the gates of Mordor is that Sauron didn't charge £4.99 to enter.

Do they really charge 4.99 instead of an even 5 on a toll? That seems really weird.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Holy poo poo bring your own desktop.

The best part is that by having your employees buy their own poo poo nobody gets advantageous pricing for bulk buys etc.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I think this has to be just some horrible gimmick poster long con. Once the Dick Trauma and CorvetteFisher stories dried up, blackswordca saw his chance.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

The only sites you need for filler content are http://baconipsum.com/ and http://placekitten.com/

A chrome script to automatically replace any images with placekitten.com would be pretty neat.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

SopWATh posted:

Care to share? A Google search brings up a bunch of incontinence issues.

EDIT: Welp, there's a joke there...

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/pearls/sec0510.html

Totally unrelated but this is my favorite "debugging" story:

http://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 25, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

So a meeting request came in, from my manager:

Its for two weeks from now. Should be fun

I like how it is a conversation about yourself and your job seems almost accusatory.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Biggest concern about my new job:

one of them lurks SA.

Don't know how to deal with this.

Don't tell him you post; Don't tell him your username.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ughhh, I guess I should explain my reason for avatars, it's long overdue. I grew up with farmers(mother was one), horse/farm owners, even went to a private school where most the teachers owned farms, and I own horses. I grew up around horses and ponies and think they are cooler/smart than dogs. I hate 90% of bronies; however it's usually the first thing any goon asks when I meet them. I'm actually the 'black sheep' of my family who didn't pursue a music/farmer/workinginachurch path; and reminded of it often(might explain some of my rambit posting from my past). But enough of E/N.

My main reason I am concerned about working with a goon is just, I dunno feels awkward? I mean I've introduced people I teach with to SA; but work 5 days a week? Anyone else work with a goon?

Sorry I was attempting to go to sleep but lo an behold I get assaulted by 3 cops at 3 am about some stupid poo poo because I was buying milk....

I work with two "goons". One is a dude I knew for years prior to his posting here (and working with) and the other is a guy who barely lurks and only got an account because of us. I wouldn't want any other coworker looking over my posts on SA though. I already self censor a bit of the annoying aspects of my job because of the other two guys even though they know most of my complaints.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Before we merged with another organization we had a 'helpdesk' line that any of our techs could answer and just kind of took jobs round-robin style.

After merging we started directing everyone to a centralized helpdesk. It's been a year and a half since anyone has answered that line and we STILL get people calling it probably once a day.

I like to imagine there's some guy who has been calling once a week and thinks he just gets unlucky every time and is still holding out hope that eventually he'll get through.

We currently do our ticketing 95% through the phone and 5% through email and it works pretty well. Most of the time, issues can be immediately resolved over the phone so it seems pointless to have someone submit a ticket and then track them down to resolve what could have been a 2 minute fix.

We are consultants for a smaller part (1200 users) of a very large (120k user objects in AD) org and the reason we get kept on is that we attempt to have every issue that isn't a project resolved within 6 business hours. If someone in one of the buildings next door submits a ticket for something simple like getting a piece of software installed that has a legitimate business need, they often have to wait days.

I understand that our situation might be a bit different than most. We have 2 helpdesk dudes, two application/server guys, a DBA/developer, a helpdesk manager/acquisition guy, and a director. It never really feels overwhelming with the support ratio to be honest.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Volmarias posted:

You're getting 5% of the credit you're due. It might work well now, but if it ramps up and you need help, it might be awkward to ask for more staff when you only do 1/20 the industry standard workload according to your metrics. Tickets will also help you analyze large scale events better than "hey, anyone else seem to be getting a lot of calls about FooMunger throwing errors?"

Always make tickets, even if it's you making a ticket after the fact just to document what happened.

Sorry, we do enter every item that we work on into our system just so that we can give the client info on what we have done each year. We have had the contract for around 15 years and they reup on a 5 year contract each time. We are loved by our clients which is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I have read around the forums that they aren't much better than just doing it yourself. Do they have an understanding of the needs for a technical CV/Resume?

• Locked thread