Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blackswordca posted:

I am.. Im just rewriting my resume which is more IT focuses to be more general. But I am gunning for it.
basically its a supervisory position. Ill be responsible for a specific client or board and will have a bunch of drivers and equipment I have to keep track of.

Let's be honest here; if the position was blowing sailors at the docks for £6/hr, I think most people would recommend you took it instead of staying where you are.

Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I spent some time dealing with Avaya yesterday. Avaya does the other thing I hate. Even choice point, every hold message, every option urges you to go to their support site and enter your ticket on the web, even going so far as to say that web tickets are handled faster. The fun thing is that Avaya's business is pretty much dependent on large call centers, so it's ironic that they are not wanting you to use the phone.

It always continues to amaze me that BT and T-Mobile (UK) have such shite phone support for exactly these reasons.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lum posted:

I grew up with a BBC Micro, and later an Atari ST. Also owned a NES and a SNES. hosed up my thumbs playing too much Mario Kart to the point that using a game pad for too long still hurts.
Got my first gaming PC for xmas 1993 after being blown away by seeing Doom on a friend's dad's PC. Before that I wanted a Mac as that's what we had in school. Doom literally saved me from becoming a lifelong Mac user.

You're going to love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIb8JdoWF00

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Shukaro posted:

This poo poo is evil and holy hell it's ingenious.

Bloody hell, that is nasty.

Am I being thick, or doesn't MSE have a list of malware/viruses that the current definition protects against? I can't tell if I am safe or not.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Dudley posted:

They're not any less illegal if the employer is American, British employment law would still apply to Lum.

From what I read on these forums, UK employment law would make an American HRs head explode. thought hey are far from perfect, they don't treat employees as disposable assets that it is easier to dump than the contents of a wastebin

spog
Aug 7, 2004

syncbackfree is very powerful and seems to run pretty fast for me

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rolleyes posted:

When you get right down to it, what exactly is the liability?

A Hostile Work Environment.

If employees view material that causes offense to another employee and management tacitly allows this to continue, the second employee could leave and sue for constructive dismal, claiming that it was a hostile work environment.

Blocking pron sites is an easy way to protect the employers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lum posted:

Wait, you don't detach your car keys from the rest of your keyring when lending your car?

I wouldn't trust a coworker with my keyring, let alone my car.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Agrikk posted:

GEt this: I looked him up on our org chart and he's listed as "IT Infrastructure Architect".

He's a goddamn architect and doesn't know how pinging works. gently caress me.

How is that possible?

It's like a farmer not knowing which end of the cow milk comes out of.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

All that's going in there is lube. Or so you'd hope.

I admire your optimism.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Volmarias posted:

This just encourages it, or suggests it to people who never considered that it could be a viable strategy. There's neither tongue nor cheek in this video, which suggests to people that it's OK.

Nah, I am not sure I agree with you. I bet every single person who's been in that situation (new guy gets a shinier toy) has considered one of two strategies:

1) break the old one and ask for a new replacement
2) bitch and moan and whine to the IT dept, get a senior boss involved, until they are given a new one.

Personally, I'd say encouraging them to do 1 instead of 2 is an advantage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Varkk posted:

I know that feeling I just spent ~45 minutes trying to figure out why a printer was not recognising a new toner cartridge had been installed. I removed and reinserted the cartridge, cleaned all of the electrical contacts between cartridge/drum and drum/printer. restarted the printer etc. Turned out the issue was my boss had shipped them the wrong toner. Toner had same physical size, same contacts and same insertion method, only difference is the toner has a 3500 page capacity compared with the 2000 which it should be using. I guess my problem is I look for the technical solution and sometimes forget that things don't work because someone messed up.

I don't think you can feel bad about being screwed over by a fundamental design flaw.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

fivre posted:

A call came. 30 minutes of heavy breathing while customer slowly did everything themselves and I basically did nothing. One of those calls I hope got QAed so a bunch of managers were stuck sitting around listening to it.

Do you work for a phone sex company?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rolleyes posted:

I'm amazed the bridge is still open to be honest!

For the benefit of the American audience, the Severn bridge is not the only way into Wales but if you're coming from the south it's certainly the quickest.

For further benefit of the American audience: the main difference between the Severn Bridge and the gates of Mordor is that Sauron didn't charge £4.99 to enter.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rolleyes posted:

It's also notable that you only get charged to enter Wales - leaving is free! :v:

That's because anyone entering Wales will feel compelled to spend all their money on the local culture1, entertainment2 and business opportunities3 and so have nothing left for the tolls.

1 None
2 None
3 None

spog
Aug 7, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Depends what you class as entertainment.

Are you going to make that 'what do you call a sheep tied to a lampost in Swansea?' joke?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

To sum up, quiet room is a terrible terrible term for a place for new mothers to lactate in privacy. I wouldn't blame the chap who refused to leave the room unless the mother explicity said what the purpose of the room (Or what she wanted to do) is for.

In other news, my company's received the third printer in a row that's DOA - NIC inside is bust and needs to be replaced. Argh.

On the plus side, the idea of a 'quiet room' in the absolute face-value definition is a great one.

When I am running the world, my MegaCorp will have empty rooms on every floor so that staff can get a break from the phones, and incessant chattering of colleagues.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'm currently sitting around the house, scratching my testicles for a week as if I don't take it by the month-end, I lose it.

Incidentally, one of my best investmnets of the year was to buy a personal phone, so I can leave the work phone on a shelf. Even the benefits of completely-free calls are outweighed by my inability to stop myself from reading work-related emails whenever they come in.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GreenNight posted:

We don't throw away keyboards, so I end up cleaning between keys with rubbing alcohol. Good times.

I've run them through the company dishwasher and they come up lovely.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

A fireproof document safe is usually rated to keep the inner temperature below 180C for a period of time, which is the temperature where paper starts to char. It won't keep magnetic media safe though.

Wait, what?

I've been keeping my backup HDD in a fireproof safe in case of fire. Is this useless?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Depends on the rating of the safe. It should be printed somewhere, probably on the inside of the door. There are basically two ratings, P and D (or DIS for some manufacturers) for paper and data respectively, prefixed by a number. A rating like 60P means the safe is designed to keep the inside temperature below 180C for 60 minutes. D rated safes are much beefier.

Edit: Apparently ratings are somewhat different in the US. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe (or just ask your vendor what it's rated for)

quote:

Class 350

The safe sustains an internal atmosphere of less than 350 °F (177 °C) and 85% humidity. This is the most basic of U.L. tests and specifically tests for the storage of paper. The ignition point of paper is 450 °F (232 °C), so this safe is sufficient for storage of paper. Cases can be purchased that will meet Class 125, if they are placed inside a Class 350 safe. These class ratings are used in conjunction with hour ratings such as: ½, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

I can't find a definite answer, but I am getting the feeling that the 350-1hr rating on my safe means that my HDDs and flash backup are not protected against fire. Bugger.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Renegret posted:

Sounds like someone did lawyer up! :woop:

e: and settled out of court.

Or killed their family pet and burnt down the house.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Are there any UK chaps here who've had experiences with drug testing? My understanding is that it's a lot more prevalent in the US, but I've only worked at 2 companies since leaving school so :shrug:

Worker's rights here say that you can't fire someone for things that they do in their free time if it doesn't directly affect your work. So, you can snort coke, drink drive and beat your wife at the weekend, but your are sober/clean/non-aggressive from 9-5, you can't be fired. As these tests can't state exactly when you took the drugs, they can't be used for disciplinary reasons.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

How im celebrating tonight. Finacee made mini pumpkin pies

Thank you all for the grats and well wishes.. you guys helped me stay sane, I appreciate it more than anyone will ever realize it. Cheers to you all!

I'm going to suggest that part of your first pay packet goes on buying something nice for your fiancee.

Although I don't think you've mentioned it, there's no way you could have coped with all that crap without someone to support you at home.

And I am really happy for you and your change: you deserve it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Entropic posted:

Are McAfee and Norton still in business at this point solely because they have bundling deals with the big PC manufacturers?

It's sure as poo poo not due to the quality of their products.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

MisterOblivious posted:

A coworker was fired and he came back a few hours later with a duffle bag. That was a fun half hour while the cops sorted things out.

He was just dropping it off for his brother who was still employed there. Glad I wasn't one of the folks outside smoking when "angry fired dude" started walking towards them with a duffle bag.

I guess that is a difference between the US and the UK:

In the US, you have a genuine fear of the improbable, but possible chance, that the disgruntled ex-employee might turn up with an AK47 and go on a shooting-spree.

Whereas in the UK, we have a fear of the ex-employee turning up and conversation being very awkward.

I am not sure which is worse.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Modern technology can work well, sometimes:

I was trouble-shooting my posh coffee machine with Philips via an online chat. He was able to give me a link to a web page showing a potential solution to the problem. Quick and easy.

Because it was via chat, I felt I was able to walk to the kitchen, try the solution, come back and report - without feeling guilty about making him wait 4 mins between each interaction.

and the really fancy part: I took a video clip of the machine running, uploaded it to youtube and sent him the link: so he could clearly see the problem for himself.

Almost like Teamviewer for domestic goods.

Quite slick, really.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tehfeer posted:

It was a secure room however 3 users had access to it to store some of their sensitive documents. Before we went virtual they had many of their departmental servers in that room. They dealt with the day to day operation and management of those servers. What it comes down to is it was not just a random new employee who walked up and pulled the hard drives out.

I'm kind of curious as to what happened to the employee?

I would ask what kind of person wanders up to a piece of obviously high-tech, obviously important and obviously in-use, piece of equipment and pulls not one, but two parts of it out, just to see what happens.

But we all know the answer to that and probably have seen it happen far too many times.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Fiber is usually used for SIPRnet workstations, while copper is used for NIPRnet workstations. We have our CSA come around once a month with a tape measure to make sure that no single piece of SIPRnet equipment lies within 20 inches of anything hooked up to the unclassified network. And yes, mice and keyboards are included.

But, IIRC correctly, they don't have a problem with the CD drives.

After all, everyone likes to listen to Lady Gaga's greatest hits.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CaptainJuan posted:

He died doing what he loved.

Getting mangled in an internal combustion engine?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Swink posted:

I once saw my CEO stuck in the Maccas drive through with a flat tire.

I could have given him a hand. I didn't.

CEOs don't count as they aren't people.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

He wouldn't let me touch his computer because I might see the confidential data. You know, the stuff that,by that time, was already in the public domain. So, no wipe and reimage. Worse, his boss backed him up, saying that the Director couldn't afford to be down for even a minute. Idiots.

You've at least revoked his access to your company network?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

President Ark posted:

Too late, we already have it.

Of course, we then called him and he refused 90% of the service because it was too expensive, so it gets to sit on the bench for a week while I download 200gb of dickbutt .gifs onto its hard drive.

How many toppings are you going to bake into the lid?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sickening posted:

Pet piss I would assume.

Come on: you've been here long enough to know that is a naive assumption.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

orange sky posted:

Holy poo poo, this is ridiculous.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Billy the Mountain posted:

This is 3 years of backups for 5 servers for a loving LAW FIRM.

They are going to sue us into oblivion.

Did it do a secure wipe, or just blow away the partition table?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Vicas posted:

"In order to help the government save face..."

Holy poo poo everything about this is pure gold

I love the statement that their welding repairs were safe because the president has a welding certificate.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Billy the Mountain posted:

The decision to tell the client or not was made way above my head, and for me to blow the whistle would result in my immediate termination. I got one kid with a second on the way, and I know for a fact I will not find another job doing what I do and making what I make.
But yeah. It is the "Hope they don't ask for backups older than a month.

We racked and fired up a Datto the day the Zenith BDR got pulled, so they do have backups, just not going back more than a month.

Since this law firm is used to keeping everything and never deleting anything, most of our restores for them are usually the "restore something accidentally deleted within the last day" variety.

I don't agree with the decision, it is unethical, immoral, and short sighted. Everything I did is documented to hell and back, and my team lead witnessed what I did and has my back 110%.

Imagine that I posted some kind of 'holy poo poo' macro or gif here.

Because, just wow.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the whole point of those appliances is that they backup to the cloud, and that's the contract that was cancelled. So an appliance failure shouldn't be a problem.

You'd think that if they were sensible, the cloud company would keep the backups safe for a while, even if the contract were cancelled.

Same way that some alarm companies will respond to alarm calls from closed contracts in case it turns out to be a cock-up on their part that the contract got cancelled and they get sued if they fail to response and Something Bad happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Crowley posted:

Use robocpoy you pleb.

Edit: I'm in need of a decent free (preferably Open Source) offline password manager. What's your preferences in this situation. Currently I'm using a PW protected Excel file, but I'm certain there are better solutions.

Keepass

Does everything you want, plus more: (generators, phone versions, portable version)

• Locked thread