Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

NZAmoeba posted:

F5, not exactly sure what model.

At my place we just moved a platform that hosts a load balanced pair of FTP servers from one F5 BigIP to another. The load balancer is doing port translation on active mode FTP data connections, and on the old one it would assign port numbers for translated ports in sequence, but on the new one, it's picking them randomly instead.

This wouldn't be a huge deal, except that we have some clients that do hundreds of file transfers in a single command session and open a new data connection for each transfer (and they're old mainframes, so we can't make their FTP client software behave properly and use just one connection). Why does this matter? Because apparently the RNG on a BigIP is utter poo poo and, despite having at least 64k port numbers to choose from, it will reassign the same random port number to a new connection a few seconds after it just used it for another connection from the same server to the same client. Since the old TCP session using that port hasn't been released by the server OS yet, the new connection fails, and that breaks the job on the mainframe. :argh:

Our network guy is testing turning off port translation on a new test VIP, so we'll see what happens, but we're not sure what will happen if we turn it off on the primary VIP, as the network config on this platform is fairly complex and it does a ton of traffic (literally millions of FTP transfers a month).

On an unrelated note, I'm gonna go visit the UK this May, assuming it hasn't all been blown away and washed up on the coast of France by then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Lightning Jim posted:

Yeah, and they are also designed to be programmed with MAC address such that when they are replaced you don't have to reconfigure any network config with the new MAC addresses. It should auto-populate from the system board (not that everything is 100% free from glitches). It was a pretty neat thing when I first heard about it.

Last time I messed with that feature, the system-assigned MAC would fail to work intermittently on reboots, causing the original hardware MAC to get passed through to the OS and completely loving up the network configuration.

Speaking of network adapters, our SAN guys just informed us that Netapp is no longer going to support FCoE from a Netapp cluster to the Intel 10Gb cards that shipped with several new Dell servers we just bought, so we have to replace them all with QLogic cards. :(

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Last time I was in a Best Buy, they actually did have some reasonably priced cables. They were at the very bottom of the racks and packaged in the most lovely generic plain packaging ever (clearly designed to convince people who don't know any better not to buy them), but the generic HDMI cable was like nine bucks or something instead of $40. Not monoprice prices, obviously, but better than getting ripped off with a Monster cable marked up 10000%.

Alternate option: Order cable from monoprice, buy cable at Best Buy. After the monoprice cable arrives, return the Best Buy cable for a refund.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

AlternateAccount posted:

Man, don't do this.

Normally it would be kind of lovely, but given how much money Best Buy has made over the years by pushing ridiculously overpriced cables and accessories on uninformed customers, I honestly wouldn't feel too bad about "borrowing" one from them for a few days if I needed to.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Roseo posted:

An email came in...

I always thought this happening was a myth.

It happens sometimes. Especially when

quote:

an application resource elevated himself to root privileges

Giving people who have no business being on a server root access will usually bite you in the rear end eventually. We have a few servers at my place where the devs have somehow wrangled root sudo access for themselves, and it's terrifying. It's also annoying because they do poo poo like reboot their production servers in the middle of the day with no notice and make our monitors freak out, but then I also get weekend calls from them wanting me to create a bunch of directories and change permissions or something else that they could easily do with their sudo access (or even sometimes without it), which I can't ignore or refuse because their project is super-critical.

Back when I was a tier I tech support rep at a web hosting company, one of my fellow reps was trying to remove a customer's directory named "etc" and ran "rm -rf /etc" instead. On a BSDi system, so /etc was where everything that made the system actually function lived. :cripes: Our Unix sysadmin and I ended up staying six hours late trying to fix it, since the server was in California and no one there had or knew how to make a rescue disk. I ended up having to compile sash on another of our BSDi systems (which was a bitch in and of itself), and we had to upload it to the broken server via FTP (one of the few things that still functioned) and overwrite some other executable binary file with it because we couldn't chmod anything. But we finally did get the thing working again eventually.

The rep who broke it learned her lesson and never did anything like that again, but we had another rep there who removed stuff by accident all the time and finally got all the tier I techs except me banned from accessing some of our platforms because he kept breaking 'em. They wouldn't fire him because he was engaged to the owner's friend's niece.

Mustache Ride posted:

He probably forgot the '.' Which is why when you even think about attempting to rm -fr something you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the full goddamn path.

This. rm -rf with wildcards is always, always, always a bad idea. Or really any recursive command with wildcards. If you simply can't avoid it for some reason (and there really is never a reason), at the very least you should take the time to check with an ls using the same pattern to make certain you're only going to touch what you expect to touch.

(Protip: did you know that ".*" will match ".." and run your recursive command on the parent directory of your target and everything underneath it? Learned that one the hard way when I was a terrible newbie; luckily it was only a chown -R and just took an hour or so to clean up... :v: )

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

nitrogen posted:

and THIS is why gnu tools do things like:
pre:
$ rm -rf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on ‘/’
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe

And no, it snot a myth, i've had 2 emergency server rebuilds in 2013 due to this happening on Solaris.

ID10T traps like that are cool, but relying on any Unix tool to protect you from doing stupid poo poo is about the worst habit you can develop, because most of the time they won't. You should always assume that whatever command you've typed is exactly what's going to happen and double-check everything before you hit enter.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

RangerAce posted:

Lotus Notes? Dafuq? While you're at it, maybe you could check out these IE 5 issues I've been having...

My place had more or less abandoned Notes shortly before I started, thank goodness, but when it came time to pull the plug on the last Domino server, one of our subsidiaries was all "NOOOOOO, OUR APPS!" End result: We still have a Dell 2850 running Domino Server 8.5.3 on RHEL 5 sitting around. Our department basically handed it to the subsidiary and said "here you go, we don't have any Lotus admins now because we don't run Notes, so we aren't managing this thing anymore," which is all well and good, except that the subsidiary's only Domino guy is an application developer and knows very little about administrating Domino Server (I had to research and then explain to him how to set the HTTP access log database to clear itself automatically after ours grew to like 30GB, and I don't know a goddamn thing about anything Lotus). He also doesn't even know how to log into a Unix system, which is why I'm the one patching Domino Server on the drat thing next Monday. Sure hope it doesn't blow it up, because if it does, we've got no one who can fix it.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

martyrdumb posted:

I'm wondering what kind of job would be the next logical step up for me. It's kind of tech support, but not quite as technical as that.

What's your actual title? Whatever it is, that's what you should use on your resume, since companies will check and it will seem suspicious and dishonest if you list your previous title as "Technical Support" when it was actually "Customer Service Representative" or something.

From what you've described, your current job would probably fall under the "customer service" label. You could probably move into a first-tier technical support or junior help desk role easily enough, especially if you have some sort of IT background outside your current job (hobbies, education, certs, etc.). If your long-term goal is to move into higher-level IT stuff, you'll want to look for a company that offers their first-tier support folks decent experience and mobility; there are a lot of places where you'd just be stuck at tier 1 forever, reading bullshit from a script and escalating everything instead of learning to troubleshoot and fix issues on your own.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Che Delilas posted:

Counterpoint: since official job titles tend to range from "vaguely accurate" to "complete bullshit," you can put on your resume a commonly-accepted job title that reflects what you're actually doing. Like if I were writing code for a living but my official job title was something unusual like "Senior Bit Puppeteer" that would make resume parsers throw a fit and reject me out of hand, I'd just put down Software Engineer.

Yeah, you can definitely simplify or fudge your title a bit, especially if your company makes up unhelpfully vague or ridiculously specific titles. You just don't want to go so far as to claim (or make up) a title that's completely different than what you actually had or that doesn't reflect your actual experience. If a potential employer calls your previous company and asks for your title and it's something completely different than what's on your resume, that's going to raise a red flag, but if they say "Senior Code Wrangler" or some other BS that translates into "he wrote programs" and you put "Software Engineer" or something, no one will think anything of it.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

myron cope posted:

AT&T's automated messages are worthless. They give you the status of the repair: "we're in the process of resolving the event"

Wow, thanks! Super useful information.

That's all you'll ever get from any major company's support line. Those messages are just to keep people from trying to get through to an actual support guy so they can keep staffing costs low. They'll never say what the issue is because that would just confuse 95% of their customer base and then people would call up to ask what the hell it means, and the 5% who actually understand the technobabble would call and demand answers about how they could let this problem happen and what's being done to make sure it never happens ever again (and the real answer of "nothing, because it would cost us more money to implement preventative measures than we lose due to outages like this" would just piss them off more). They'll also never give an ETR, because if it's wrong they'd get a flood of support calls at the provided time from angry customers demanding to know why it's not up yet and requesting refunds.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The datacenter staff are being laid off. Management has decided 24x7 coverage isn't needed, at least that's what's being said. :downs:

Not entirely accurate; management has decided that they don't want to *pay* for 24x7 coverage. I'm sure it's still needed, though, which means you and the other remaining salaried exempt employees will be providing it (in addition to your normal daytime work, of course). :toot:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

myron cope posted:

We have locations from New York to Georgia over to Kentucky. Everyone was down. It seems to be working now...but it looks like it started around 2am or so

fake edit: back down. AT&T is probably close to fixing it though

edit: it's fixed

Verizon had some sort of widespread outage on the East Coast late yesterday morning as well, took down all external access from one of our office/data center locations for about an hour.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Che Delilas posted:

I live in an apartment with no real storage space or garage, and this is one of those places that asks you not to do serious car stuff in the parking lot - oil stains or maybe liability concerns I'd imagine.

Spilled oil/fluids is part of it, but mostly it's because an apartment parking lot full of half-disassembled cars will drive away prospective tenants and it's much easier to enforce a blanket "no car repairs in the parking lot" clause in the lease than it is to explain to Joe-Bob Redneck why his neighbor is allowed to change his own oil and brake pads in the parking lot but he isn't allowed to tinker on his Trans-Am "project car" with two wheels and no engine for a year or six.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

A c E posted:

Holy crap this.
Also how did he not Google it first.

Usually when you see questions that basic, it's probably some poor schmuck who got stuck in a programming class because he needed a few more credit hours to graduate this year and basket-weaving was full.

...naw, I lied, it's actually the [college kid|H1B|overseas contractor] your company is hiring to replace you for a third of your salary so the CFO can make his budget numbers this quarter and get his bonus. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Race Realists posted:

Is it possible you could just explain here? I dont have the PM option available because im poor

I am really curious what IT jobs are like Georgia.

Well, son, we ain't got none of them there computin' machines 'round these here parts yet, so I reckon y'all gonna spend most of yer days tunin' on banjos and fixin' plugged moonshine stills and cleanin' out dirty firearms and such. :banjo:

Seriously, I'm not sure what you're asking here. IT jobs in Georgia are...just like IT jobs anywhere in the US. I mean, CoL is lower, so the pay is usually less than you'd get in Silicon Valley or other expensive places, and being a red state, employment laws are pretty much the bare minimum federal ones, but it's not like there's anything particularly different about a helpdesk job or sysadmin gig just because it's in Georgia.

If you're asking about the market, Atlanta has a very healthy IT job market (biggest in the Southeast by far), so it wouldn't be hard to find a job if you don't mind living in the city. Like other posters have said, though, you want to plan where you want to live based on where your job is if you can, because traffic is terrible.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Lareous posted:

The random bursts of traffic outside of rush hour don't help either. I can get to Duluth from Marietta in 25~ minutes, or it might take 2 and a half hours.

Basically, the major roads in Atlanta are all more or less at or near capacity for most of the day every day, so if anything happens to interrupt traffic flow, no matter how minor, you end up with miles-long backups. People sitting in traffic for 30 hours or abandoned their cars for days during the snow this past winter wasn't "lol Southerners can't drive in snow" as much as it was an example of what happens when you take an inadequate road system, artificially create the worst possible rush hour imaginable (all of the area schools tried to stay open and then all closed at noon, as did most businesses and all government offices, so literally everyone in the metro area left work at the same minute), and then throw in a few impassable icy spots and a bunch of lane-blocking accidents.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

nitrogen posted:

The group in charge of our internal redhat repos built some new servers and used puppet to change the entire farm over to them.

Due to some kind of network problem, about 10% of the servers in one datacenter (multiple DC's are affected, but I only have concrete numbers in one DC) cannot get to these new servers.

the group in charge of them basically told me, "well 90% of them work fine, the other 10% arent our problem because our firewalls allow it. It must be a customer problem, I'm not sure what you want me to do."

Remember CVE-2014-0195 was fixed by redhat yesterday, so it's not like it's important or anything.

Just scp the latest openssl and openssl-devel RPMs from the appropriate repo server(s) to your workstation or jump box or whatever and then copy them to the client machines and yum localinstall the RPMs. Bit of a pain, but I've done it before when I had to do patches while waiting for firewall changes to be made.

As for a long-term solution, you're probably going to have to fix whatever's wrong on the client machines (routing tables, iptables, etc.), or do some tcpdumps to prove to the network folks that it's something in the network blocking your connections.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Zero VGS posted:

Guess I have to wait until tomorrow then. What is Cisco's rationale behind making us pay for patches to vulnerabilities on their hardware anyways? Just because we will? Who else does business like that? It'd be like GM charging you to recall their busted poo poo.

Because they can, and because if you can't actually get into the SaaS game since your software actually has to live on dedicated physical hardware, making people subscribe to your support contracts is the next best thing, and because they want to get their rightful money from those thieves who steal from the mouths of Cisco's shareholders by picking up used Cisco hardware from eBay instead of buying new.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

KoRMaK posted:

That's like a Doctor with the flu going to another doctor and being prescribed antibiotics for their flu, and then the flu-doctor thanks the prescription doctor and takes the antibiotics thinking it will help their flu. :psyduck:

Never assume that a developer knows any more about how a computer works than any other random office drone just because they write software for a living, or you're likely to be disappointed.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Pass it off to them, they say ok, I'll get it done right now. They then get up and walk out to the bathroom without installing. So I'm kind of wondering if there's an issue between the two, or if the tech is just losing it.

Maybe the install was going to take some time and the dude just figured he'd better pee first? It's not like he went home or to lunch or something. A full bladder waits for no users... :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hell, it's impressive when recruiters actually read enough of my resume to know I'm a Linux admin who lives in Atlanta instead of just spamming me about six-month PC help desk positions in Idaho or some poo poo.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

eithedog posted:

My favorite a couple years ago was - why are you searching for work here?

I said I was willing to relocate and wasn't really bothered by where do I end up, yet the woman was still amazed that I was looking in that area (Devon / Cornwall in UK).

That's not an uncommon question for job seekers looking in areas outside of where they live. Your answer was exactly the wrong one, though; basically, the employer/recruiter is looking for something that's going to tie you to the area, or at least make you less likely to leave in the near future, so they really want to hear something like "I'm moving here to be with family," or "My significant other got a job here." "I've spent a lot of time in [city] and I love the place" might also be an acceptable answer, but "Meh I don't much care where I live" is bad because you might end up hating it and wanting to leave in a very short period of time, or at best you'll get restless again and start looking to go somewhere else sooner or later.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

spankmeister posted:

I've seen people make a ramdisk and putting the swap on the ramdisk :doh:

I could see that being useful if you didn't want to have a swap file at all, but you had some OS or program that absolutely required one, I guess. I actually have the swap disabled on my Windows 7 box at home because it has 16GB of RAM (and no SSD) and I don't do anything very memory-intensive with it, but when the swap file was enabled, Windows would constantly go "ooo this app hasn't been in focus in thirty seconds, off to spinning disk with its memory pages so it can take fifteen seconds to swap back in when you alt-tab back to it in a minute! :downs:"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
You kids and your fancy shiny GUIs and rounded buttons and poo poo...thank god that with the Windows Classic theme, a few other settings changes, and 7 Taskbar Tweaker, you can make Windows 7 look and behave the correct way (i.e. just like Windows 95). :colbert:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Nintendo Kid posted:

Seem to be more of mild injury and thorough soaking traps. :v:

There was one in Philly a while back where a couple people died when it got squished by a river barge, but that was more because the barge tugboat driver was yapping on his cell phone and ignoring all of the radio messages from the captain of the disabled Duck-thing begging him to change course. :saddowns:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

There, all fixed. :toot:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
One of our departments has a couple of old Apple servers in one of our data centers that they use to run Adobe InDesign because they don't like how it works on Windows or something. No one in our sysadmin department knows a drat thing about OS X; I haven't touched a Mac since System 7 back in high school. Apparently that was also true back when that department bought the things (long before I was there), because they were told back then that Macs are out of scope they'd get no support of any kind on 'em.

So of course this week we get an email from them with a screenshot of a RAID error pop-up message reporting that a drive is dead saying "please fix this..." We get the login info from one of 'em and take a look at the server; after finally figuring out how to get into the RAID utility (seriously, have all of the Apple UI designers been on drugs for the past fifteen years or something?), there don't appear to be any dead drives. After looking closer and hitting up Google, it seems the Apple RAID utility spams vague popup errors on boot if there are any errors at all in the RAID logs. Seems a drive died on this server sometime back in 2011 and was fixed shortly afterwards, but no one cleared the log, so now every time the thing boots it pops up a message saying that a disk has failed. :downs:

The icing on the cake is that we also noticed that whoever built the thing apparently didn't know what "RAID" was and somehow managed to assign each of the four 1TB physical drives to its own RAID group and mount each one in the OS as a separate filesystem...so there isn't actually any redundancy at all. Also, three of the filesystems are completely empty and appear to be unused; everything is being stored on the 1TB system drive. :cripes:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hell, when I first started at a web hosting company I used to work for way back in the day, the "server room" at the HQ office in Orlando was literally a broom closet with some storage shelves holding the servers. Since their was no ventilation, our facilities guy knocked out a ceiling tile, disconnected one of the A/C flex ducts from another vent, and stuffed it through the hole.

It gets better, though; at one point we closed our colo hosting account at one of our other data centers to save money, but we had no place to put the few dozen servers that used to live there, so we flew them down to the Orlando office (which was in a small half-office half-warehouse building in a light industrial park) and put them out in the non-climate-controlled warehouse area on a big shelf on wheels. Our "crash cart" was a shopping cart that someone either stole from some random homeless dude or from the Albertson's down the road on OBT.

Being Central Florida in the summer, it was so hot out there that those servers would spontaneously reboot at least once every few days. Sometimes they would refuse to boot at all, and we'd have to remove the hot-swappable hard drives and put them in the freezer in the break room for a few minutes to cool them down. Also, they'd sometimes open the garage doors to try to cool the room down and forget to close them when all the day folks left, so I'd find them still wide open when I left around midnight; I'm still amazed that we never had some crackhead just wander in and roll the whole rack of servers away one day. Probably they were just too busy breaking into our cars in the parking lot to notice the open doors... :v:

The owners eventually built a slightly better data center in part of the warehouse space (it wasn't great, but it at least was bigger than a closet, had proper power and network drops and HVAC, and even had a door with a lock :toot: ), but they also built out some extra office space for our client services people at the same time and connected both spaces to the same HVAC system, so it was always like 50 degrees in the client services office and those poor folks were always freezing.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Renegret posted:

Yeah, it's company policy in my company that discussing your pay with your coworkers will be met with termination. I know they can't legally enforce it but it's really not worth the time and energy raising a stink about it when I really don't care enough.

There's also the fact that they can coincidentally fire you for any other reason or no reason at all after catching wind of you chatting about your salary (or any other nefarious U-word related topics), and there really isn't much you can do about it unless they're dumb enough to admit it publicly or make it amazingly blindingly obvious. Sure, you could sue them and maybe you'd win eventually, but good luck finding another job in the meantime when hiring managers call your last place to verify your employment and get the "Sorry, we cannot discuss matters relating to pending litigation" response...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Inspector_666 posted:

I did this once. The judo club at my college kept e-mailing me a year after I graduated and moved back home, and my e-mails directly to the head of it didn't stop them.

I felt dirty.

I do this all the time, since there are quite a few people out there who think my gmail address is theirs. I think my favorite was when someone added me to some church group's email list and started sending me emails demanding that I come to their meetings and play the guitar. When I replied and said "I'm not the person you are trying to contact, please remove me from this list," their only response was "Yes, you are the person I am trying to contact..." :downs:

There's also some real estate lawyer's paralegal who keeps sending me some poor guy's legal documents and asking why he isn't getting back to him about them; I've replied every time telling him that I'm not that guy and to please stop sending me his confidential legal paperwork and every time the paralegal gets all huffy and replies "Well this is the email the real estate agent gave me!" and continues to send me more documents. :cripes:

I've also tried getting my email address off some lady's Citibank account, but trying to explain to a Citibank phone rep that someone who is not you has used your email address on their credit card account and no, you can't log into "your" account to change the email address because it isn't your account is like trying to teach calculus to a goldfish. So apparently I'm doomed to continue getting this random woman's monthly credit card statements forever. (She's not been doing so well paying more than the minimum on her huge balance the last couple months; if I only knew her actual contact info I'd send her a link to BFC... :v: )

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Cojawfee posted:

Don't post your actual email address but what is it that makes everyone think it is theirs?

It's basically a name @gmail.com, so a lot of not-so-Internet-literate people with the same name apparently assume that it's somehow magically their email address. Price of being an early adopter, I guess. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

PseudoFaux posted:

So I'm asked to check a laptop's harddrive and if possible to recover data off it. As expected, the harddrive is not reading correctly so I'm onto plan b

This was plan B.

There was no way I was going to even attempt data recovery with this rig. I'll put that off for tomorrow with a power supply less likely to kill me.

Kind of reminds me of the time I had to jury-rig a desktop DVD drive to an HP Netserver LP1000r by powering the drive with the SCSI backplane power connecter from a second LP1000r so I could try to install Windows 2008 from a DVD. :cripes:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
A dev must have fork-bombed one of our Solaris box today or something, because it popped up on our monitoring system with a load average of 8.3 million. :psypop: I thought something was wrong with the monitoring plugin, but I logged into the box and nope, the 5 and 15-minute averages are literally seven digits. Somehow the system didn't die, and I wasn't on it soon enough to see what actually caused it (1-minute average was well below 1 by the time I saw the alert), so I have no idea what actually happened, but it must have been ugly. (Or it was just some weird bug in Solaris, like whatever is causing one of our other Solaris boxes to report irreconcilably different amounts of free and used memory depending on which tool you use to examine the memory statistics; thank god I'm not actually the guy responsible for managing these things. :v: )

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Renegret posted:

What follows are steps on how to change your DNS settings to Google DNS.

Is there anyone left who hasn't done this already (or who somehow has found an ISP whose DNS servers don't regularly poo poo the bed anyway)?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

thelightguy posted:

Python if you're one of those young'ns who don't understand how to write entire CRM systems in one line.

Who would trust a programming language that uses whitespace as a functional delimiter? :colbert:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Jeoh posted:

I like Lync. I don't like the client. The next version should be a lot better but that's all I can say.

That's why I use Pidgin with the Office Communicator plug-in. It's a bit flaky (the calendar integration works maybe half the time and the other half it just sets your status to something random for no particular reason, and the status of your buddies doesn't always update properly so that they look like they're online when they're really logged out), but it's still a thousand times better than the actual Lync client. Plus it has message logging, so I easily can find that random ticket/server/topic I discussed with X three weeks ago.

Obviously it doesn't support any of the advanced Lync crap like file transfers and desktop sharing and images and such, but frankly, that's a plus. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

flosofl posted:

poo poo like this and the AD story earlier are why packet captures are your best friend.

Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without tcpdump. If you know how to use tcpdump and strace, then you can diagnose pretty much any "something's just not working" issue on a Linux system.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

chutwig posted:

What, are you facilities? Tell them to gently caress off.

Given how residential that sink looks, I'd say yes he is, since that's either his own sink or his office is too small to have a facilities person so everything no one else wants to do goes to the "IT guy" by default.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Inspector_666 posted:

For several holidays when I started with my current employer, they would announce early closings on days where I had already been scheduled for on-site work until 6PM (usual closing time.) Of course since they had already been scheduled, they couldn't be changed.

In the sysadmin department at my old company, the CEO would send out an email telling everyone they could go home early on the day before a holiday, which would be immediately followed by an email from our department manager saying "This doesn't apply to you..." I always wanted so badly to reply that since the CEO outranks him, I'm going home anyway. :v:

MJP posted:

Told the boss that the ringer will be off, and if he calls and leaves a voice mail, I am doing nothing until I get written confirmation that he's giving me a vacation day back.

Him: "Maybe if you'd work the whole day, I'd give you a day back."
Me: "If I'm working even a minute, it's not a vacation anymore."

If he calls I'm not returning it anyway

The correct thing to say here is "I'm going to be on vacation and out of touch for the next week, please get with <some other person who isn't on vacation> if you need anything." Don't even give them the faintest hope that you might be reachable, or they will take that to mean that you are available 24/7 while on vacation and get upset when you don't respond to their calls or emails immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

MF_James posted:

Wait... this was real? I 100% thought this was a joke post.

It's an actual "vulnerability", but also a joke post in that Keurig themselves are the only ones who actually give a poo poo if people are exploiting this trick (because they can then buy cheaper alternative pods from some other supplier instead of buying official Keurig pods at huge markups).

• Locked thread