Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

AlexDeGruven posted:

I feel so honored, got my first honest to goodness non-ironic "do the needful ticket".

I never thought it would feel so good.

When I changed jobs in December '12, I spent almost 4 solid weeks taking calls & making them to an office in Mumbai relating to various levels of SAP bollocks. I heard that phrase nearly every 15 minutes.

As some form of *witty joke*, I started saying it back to my users in the UK, as well as putting it into incident text after getting back to local support.

More than one praised my usage of "innovative, clear phrasings" during support calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

Caged posted:

bees.mp3

Chiming in to say that when I was allowed to install CallManager 8.6 in our lab, I did not setup any dial plans, route partitions or even a single device.

But simply uploaded bees.mp3 as the MOH source and default it for everything.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Chiming into the Microsoft vs Linux vs Cisco vs IBM vs Nanna Joe vs Open Sores vs Stallman vs Wozniak chat, I really think that a lot more popular tools, that may or may not have had a start in the UNIX environment that still heavily rely on the CLI for most actions, should really look to Microsoft and how they do things with Exchange 2007 and onwards.

It's all Powershell, which isn't the request, but when you do something in the GUI, if its change a mailbox's properties or change a send connector, it'll execute the command, then show you the Powershell command it ran to do it.
This has been a godsend to myself who is trying to get to grips with Exchange, amongst others, very quickly. So when we need to write a custom script, or just schedule an action, I've already got the code that I can just bundle into a .ps1 and just run from there. It's also nice to see what the EMC is actually doing when you ask it to do something, but ultimately it means that if you're more of a CLI player, you don't have to spend as long reading through every possible manual page, when you can just do the few repeatables in the GUI, write it down and then execute them.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

Sickening posted:

The biggest issue with windows 8 isn't that the metro GUI is poo poo (it is), its that they made a conscious decision to remove the ability to change back to the old style GUI. The decision makers at Microsoft thought you shouldn't have a choice and that is hilarious.

I think this was Microsoft trying to copy Apple's stances that they have with their own product line.
For years, certainly in the Steve Jobs round two Apple era, Apple spent a lot of time removing, adding or changing various aspects of their products and the fanbase would eat it up, like it was the best idea in the whole world and would say how Microsoft/Intel/Dell, etc were behind the times and would never try something "so smart". Even when moves were terrible, the Fanbase would still eat it up from Apple's PR line and you just get this enormous wave of mindless support for whatever they announced. On the flipside you had the running thing of the font add progress box being the same one as from Windows 3.11 all the way up to at least Vista, which was "absolute proof" the Microsoft "never innovated or changed".
With all that going down, I'm not surprised Microsoft tried to pull an Apple and tell the userbase: "No, we think this is better so shut up", but with their history of legacy support and Microsoft being the easy target, I'm not surprised it backfired as it did.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Metro UI on a touchscreen. But what I want on my desktop PC is a Desktop UI that doesn't flip on its head and become unwieldy every time I need to start a new action.
It really feels like a line manager said "We're doing this" and just stuck his fingers in his ears and stamped his feet like a child if anyone tried to voice concerns about forcing metro on the desktop users.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in: Outlook is crashing

An employee sent out a company-wide email, a newsletter with graphics in it. Shortly after, we started getting calls from all over reporting that Outlook was crashing.

We determined that the message was causing Outlook to crash. I applied Windows & Office (2013) updates to one user's computer, rebooted, same issue.

Had all affected people delete the message either in Outlook (Safe Mode), or OWA, or on their smartphones. Outlook worked normally after that.

Now, to find why it only affected some people and not (for example) me.

You might want to check out if you've installed KB3097877, apparently this is causing the issue you've outlined

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

nexxai posted:

Are you talking about https://fsrm.experiant.ca If so, that was me and I'm glad it helped!

I'd like to thank you as well, kind sir. I've set up a custom version at my place of work using the CryptoBlocker.ps1 script provided on the page. Although I must admit if you our others have experience setting it up on a clustered filesystem I'd love to hit you up for some advice - It works fine on regular windows servers, but if one belongs to a cluster, it fails to apply the block permissions to the shares.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Do any of you support CUCM? Our marketing wants to create new on hold commercials and Cisco demands the wav file be in the following format:

8Mhz, 16 bit, mono/ulaw

Any free software that can convert to this?

When we need to make wav's for anything CUCM or Contact Center related, we just leave a voicemail in someone's Unity inbox and that's the correct file encoding. Maybe this is a way you can achieve your goal?

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

nexxai posted:

I run https://fsrm.experiant.ca - can you tell when WanaCrypt news started breaking out?

I really need to thank you for running it, it's saved by corporate bacon more than once

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

PremiumSupport posted:

I get a few false positives too, usually 1 every couple months. I'll gladly live with that though, the frsm list saved my rear end last year.

How do you deal with the false positives, do you just restore access and move on? In our situation we have one or two specific files that were flagging, so I modified the setup script so we can supply our own second JSON feed to allow for inserting them.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

nexxai posted:

There's already a SkipList functionality in the latest version of the script that allows you to whitelist any file extensions that are in the main list that you use in your environment.

SkipList is fair enough, but we have this deployed on about 12 - 15 file servers, as far as I can see, it always refers to a local copy of it. So we thought we'd centralise it.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

vOv posted:

I'm not an admin. One thing I don't get about FSRM: if it just stops the cryptoware from writing the *.pay_me_ur_bitcoins file, won't it still delete the original anyway? Or is most ransomware coded to give up if it fails to write the encrypted file since there wouldn't be any point in asking for money if the files are gone?

The thing that protects you with the CryptoBlocker.ps1 is that if it detects a file on the block list, it'll add an explicit deny for the user generating it.
In theory, you'd only lose one file on a share before the CryptoBlocker & FSRM acted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005

nexxai posted:

This is my bi-monthly reminder that any administrator in charge of an environment running Windows Server-based file servers should strongly consider implementing Microsoft's free File Server Resource Manager role, and scheduling our completely free script to pull our completely free list of known ransomware extensions. We don't even ask for email addresses or any kind of sign up; just run the script and it'll get the latest list. Just schedule it to run at some interval (once a day, once an hour, once a month) and it'll get the latest list and keep your poo poo protected.

Seriously this.
This has saved us more than once and despite a few false positives and a small amount of maintenance we have to do to keep things running, its really worth setting up

• Locked thread