Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ghana rheya posted:

Yeah. The only off-site backup they had was housed in a data center 3 hours away. Got all set to drive there and their on-call rang to say they switched centers 4 years ago...New data center was contracted 18 months ago, not a single bit of storage occupied.

I'm hitting up a liquor store for lotsa scotch on my way home.

Edit: words are hard.

So nobody checked backups were working for important data for 4 years. How did that person still have a job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ghana rheya posted:

So, had meeting with boss man. He had hoped the senior would be motivated into productivity by adding me. That didn't happen. He's offered to promote me to her position as I "shined through adversity."

Basically, I get a HOOGE raise and budget to turn things around. Haven't taken it yet as I'm getting poo poo drawn up by a college lawyer roomie who owes me one.

Also, talked to a detective today too. That was super fun. Haven't made any friends already, secured the wifi. Got my first ever "complaint." :rolleyes:

A giant raise and a budget to fix things. Maybe this will at least be interesting to do, but you do have one problem - the basic bones of the infrastructure have been screwed, so you'll be under pressure to fix that as soon as possible, without necessarily the time to do it the way you want to/should. Good luck!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Apparently one of the office managers in a client we service decided that the server room needed dusting... and removed these blinking drawers in the front of one of these sliding computer box things so that they could be dusted. Too bad that people are calling her saying the server for which her entire business is based on is down... and that something called a Raid Array was broken. Gosh computers are hard.

This is so stupid and awful, it sounds made up. Which no doubt means it is true.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

peak debt posted:

Should be recoverable. As soon as she removes the second caddy, the drive will disappear from the OS and the server will crash. Then you switch the server off, plug them back in and start it again. It might need to do some consistency checking but with modern controllers you don't even need to exactly remember in which slot the drive was plugged in. That is as long as she didn't mix up the drives between servers, if she did that it's going to be fun.

That's the thing, really. Have you labelled all the drives on your servers? It's not something you imagine happening. Do you think someone who would randomly pull all the drives from a server rack would do them one at a time?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Well, not a ticket by a user, but one by us! Because of my aim for continuous improvement, I said, hey, let's upgrade a ton of staff machines:

That's 70 Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSDs, and one 250GB.

So.. many.. SSDs in one place.

Edit: something very interesting - 7 out of the 71 are made in Korea - the rest are made in China.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 29, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Hope you don't work there in 3-5 years when they all go bad because users don't know how to handle SSDs.

Not too sure what there is special they have to do, honestly. Windows turns off defrag and TRIM will work fine, plus they have 3-year warranties.

I can see how much disk space people use, and I'm going to set up some scripts to make sure people empty their recycle bins to keep space use down.

Also, what's the alternative? Just say "hard drives are good enough for the masses"? Nah, it's SSD all round time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

If you have a properly setup NAS setup for the company, 120gigs will be fine for most people. I have a 240 in my machine at work because I am working on a Android project, and AOSP takes up a shitload of room.

Oh, yeah, I know how much people have used on their HDD already (thanks to Spiceworks), and I have a nice little spreadsheet so I know exactly what to expect in terms of usage.

Obviously if someone needed more that would be worked into any plan. Different organisations have vastly different requirements. Everything is of course synched to a network location anyway.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ticket came in.. projector fault. OK, this actually has a happy ending.

It's a 3-year old NEC, but is just inside the standard 3-year warranty. I call up, I get only one prompt, which sends me to the correct department.. "first in the queue".. 30 seconds later, a guy picks up. A clearly British guy in a call centre here. I give him the details, he knows how to fix one of the problems I was having, then sends out packaging so the fault projector could be collected, no post cost. For a 3-year old, relatively budget projector.

We've had worse service with countless other items, and for what it's worth, NEC just got a lot more interesting to me. A call centre in the country you are calling from with a technically minded person immediately? I shouldn't be surprised, but I was, pleasantly.

I guess they're just one of those companies that's been around for ages making decent kit with solid support, not exactly in the consumer product spotlight.

vvvv Good god what the gently caress

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 10, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Caged posted:

Panasonic's business projectors have a 3 year de-install re-install warranty, so someone comes out to you, removes the projector from the ceiling and takes it off to be fixed, then puts it back up when they are done. It's insane.

That's pretty glorious, and it's nice to hear about good support. These NECs were just budget ones, probably about £300 a piece, so they don't come with that lavish support, which is why I found a totally respectable process with no postage cost on my end refreshing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

demonachizer posted:

Do they really charge 4.99 instead of an even 5 on a toll? That seems really weird.

http://www.severnbridge.co.uk/toll_prices.shtml

Nah, it's actually £6.40 for a normal car

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Depends what you class as entertainment.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

RyuHimora posted:

1024x768, which is a pretty low resolution anyway these days

Although it totally lives on in the most common and hated current 16:9 resolution of them all: 1366x768. Which is depressing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Install Windows posted:

It is, it's larger than 1280x720. Keep in mind that the current HD terms were introduced in 1992.

To be fair, that was never considered HD until marketers came along. It was just a normal, far from exceptional resolution.

Same with Ultra HD. That was always 7680×4320 until the last year or so, when 3840×2160 became "Ultra HD" too.

It turns out the first HD standards were >1000 lines

vvv I guess what my point is, is that 1080 was considered "HD", the lower resolution TVs were a cheap way to get consumers in with a lower quality experience. If you're talking from an engineering perspective, they would have wanted the TVs to be 1080i and nothing else, back then, one would imagine.

You can't say people weren't confused as poo poo over which TVs would do 1280x720, 1360x768, 1366x768, or 1920x1080, because they were, and that's not an engineering ideal.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 16, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

One of them is closed. The one closest to me >.<

Not quite none. You can go dogging up in the valleys :P

VD. The best holiday souvenir.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

"HD Ready" was a label that annoyed me for the few years that 720p TVs had a market share. Ready for what, exactly? Buying a proper HD TV two years later?

Yeah, that's the sort of crap I'm talking about. They knew it wasn't HD, but wanted to put "HD" on it somewhere.

vv What was great about that was that even a Microsoft employee got burned by it and bought a "Vista" machine with no DX9 capability, and moaned about it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 16, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

IIRC dell docking stations don't come with an additional one.

Yeah, they do, and it's the biggest one to cope with all the laptops.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Jesus.
Wept.

Whenever I read that, I always think that he would surely use WPA2.

... Never mind.

But yeah, buying your own desktops? That's a loving joke. Do they ask the loving pilot to buy the airplane?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Also, what's the big deal?

Oh no! He saw a breast!

You no doubt don't give a crap, it's not something abnormal.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Which is automagically importing something output from Crystal Reports. A WinNT version of Crystal of course.

Think I've found the source of the data! A 486 running win 3.11 and foxpro

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Just get screens with displayport. The sooner DVI dies out the better.

God no. I hate the fact turning off a DisplayPort monitor in Windows disconnects it and shifts everything about.

I'm perfectly happy with DVI. What's wrong with DVI?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

guppy posted:

This is exactly why DVI is such a pain in the dick. Oh, it has a DVI port. Is it DVI-I or DVI-D (or god help you, DVI-A)? Is it single- or dual-link? (Trick question, nothing is ever dual link.) Oh, wait, it could also be DMS-59! gently caress yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu. Can we just stick with HDMI?

HDMI requires a licence fee, for a start.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rawrbomb posted:

DisplayPort also has teeth to keep the connector from being yanked/ripped out. So it won't randomly fall out.

Full size DisplayPort as a study in connector design is glorious, that much is definitely true.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

jre posted:

An unhelpful webchat came in ......

So dell appear to have completely removed the ability to customise optiplex pcs on their UK website. You can no longer change the graphics card, ram or hd :stare:

Used to use that to get an idea of price before hitting up our account manager

I've definitely noticed that over time, Dell's site has got less useful. You can configure things the way you want if you talk to somebody, but what the hell was wrong with the full-fat configurator they used to have?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Emushka posted:

hahaha, sure!

:v: Can I get a new iPhone 5, my old iPhone got lost.
:) Sure! Let me remote wipe the old phone real quick just in case.
:silent:
:commissar:

daughter has a "new" iPhone I guess.

Looking up on the Apple site, iOS 7 apparently includes Activation Lock too, preventing that iPhone from ever being re-used without your credentials.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 5, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ghana rheya posted:

'Student broke off VPN port on ipad.'

Called to make sure they didn't mis-type. Nope. VPN ports are used to charge iPad 2's now.

Remote power over wifi. A VPN so amazing it can tunnel PoE over other networks too, all the way to the wireless access point, where it is then transmitted to the iPad. All the way from your datacentre.

I don't even know why I thought to make up an imaginary scheme, but it sounds like some bullshit you could almost convince someone is true.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Potato Alley posted:

Actually, since they work in a hospital, you could have even been like "hey you know how you watch House and you laugh your rear end off at how ridiculous its portrayal of hospitals and medical procedures is? OK now apply that exact model to CSI and IT technicians".

One episode of House went way over the line even for the layperson, and almost made me watch no more.

Maybe people know what I mean already?

... The one where they use a machine to literally loving see what someone is thinking. I don't even want to think about it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

I dont remember seeing this, ever.

Season 6 Episode 16 "Black Hole"

This shot is from 31:11.

Dialogue at this moment? "Is that her dad? He died when she was 8".

Yes, they are viewing memories in a visual way. Literally able to see an image of thoughts, not just brain patterns.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 16, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Potato Alley posted:

So all in all, I like them a lot, but I wish they'd fix the last little bits and release software faster.

I feel like this about all the Ubiquiti stuff. Love the UniFi gear, but the software, what the hell? It installs under the user account appdata and not as a service? They really, really need to sort that out, manually having to set that in a sane folder is a mess, because the updater always assumes it's in your user's appdata folder.

Shame, because once you're up, it's by far the best stuff for the money.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Swink posted:

My free meraki AP arrived and it makes me want to roll then out everywhere. Easiest poo poo ever.

What is Cisco ownership going to do to them though?

Well, they've owned them a while, so, nothing, as far as I can see.

We trialled the Meraki stuff too, but in the end, that poo poo is too expensive, and I have no love for the "cloud-based management" that requires a subscription.

Ubiquiti did a solid job for a cost that was vanishingly tiny in comparison. Although as anyone who has used Ubiquiti UniFi will know, the software install needs polishing. They also need to get a move on with the final version of UniFi 3.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

deimos posted:

People still use winrar instead of 7z?

Why, didn't you know it is the only way into heaven?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Cubelodyte posted:

This gem just landed in our queue about a minute ago.

SOMEHOW my laptop got smashed and now looks like a taco! I have NO IDEA how it got that way! I just looked away for a moment and suddenly it was like that! I didn't do anything! Golly!

:fuckoff:

I can't remember who, and he'll probably chime in on this thread moaning back at me, but in the laptop buying thread there was a guy who posted a photo of his completely ruined HP laptop, covered in duct tape, saying he'd always treated it well.

It was filthy and covered in scuff marks - that's not something that just happens to a laptop that's left alone.

I think people don't realise how much damage they're doing to the machines they have.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

hihifellow posted:

It's a common typo, I mean who hasn't put ping host.domain && shutdown /s /0 /t \\host.domain into a command prompt by accident.

Of course! Such a trivial mistake to make. Looks exactly like a ping command.

shutdown /r /t 0 /m \\host.domain

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 6, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sickening posted:

I expect a report by end of business today.

Yeaaah, I'm going to need you to work on Saturday

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

the spyder posted:

This is why I am soooo looking forwards to this week. The fellow employee who was assaulted by his boss lawyered up and went to CEO demanding that the boss be fired per the employee handbook (which clearly states that anyone who assaults a fellow employee will be fired immediately). They have yet to do it and he gave them until start of business this week. It's going to be a magical week.

Now this is something that's going places. Glad the guy had the balls!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

poo poo like that is why I imported a Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD.

I don't want to gently caress about with short battery life. Doesn't matter how fast the thing is or how high res the screen is if it runs down every five minutes.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

guppy posted:

I just had a user walk out of my office in a huff, believing that he is the one who has been wronged.

He walked into my office -- for some reason this new batch of users is allergic to email or the loving telephone, half of them walk down here to talk to me -- and started to ask me a question, but stopped a couple words in and picked up a USB A/B cable from my surplus and stood there looking at it.

It took me several attempts to get him to tell me what it was he was trying to accomplish, so I could tell him if that cable would help. It turns out his son broke his DSi XL power adapter and he thought the connector looked like that. I've never owned any of the XLs, but I've owned every other model of DS ever released, and they all had proprietary adapters. I told him that, and that that wasn't going to work. Obviously it isn't my job to fix someone's DS, but whatever, I can do a quick favor. Having heard this reply, he stands there silently in my office staring at the cable.

I then have this conversation several more times, explaining each time that it will not work, that Nintendo uses nonstandard, proprietary connectors for their handhelds, but that yes, if he really wants to he can take that cable with him and test it. Each time I grow increasingly exasperated, and he asks me why I'm in a bad mood today. I wasn't before he walked in, but I reply that I don't like it when people walk in and help themselves to my equipment, and that I don't like it when people ask my advice and won't take it. He says "Okay, I won't come down anymore" and puts down the cable and walks out, clearly miffed, while I remind him that he's welcome to take the cable if he wants it.

(As an aside, I've never owned an XL, like I said, but Googling appears to support me -- the DSi XL charger is still a proprietary connector, right?)

I don't know about anything other than the DS Lite, but the DS Lite can absolutely be charged using a USB to DS connector cable, which can be readily found on ebay for a very low price.

Don't need to buy a dodgy crappy charger again.

I also saw a guy mod his DS Lite - unsoldered the proprietary connector and soldered on a mini USB connector. Fit perfectly in place. Why didn't you do this first time round, Nintendo? (Although micro would be even better).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Volmarias posted:

What do they want a computer science degree for? It doesn't follow anything else they listed as making sense.

Probably due to some delusion.

They're actually shooting themselves in the foot because not only is a CompSci degree completely unrelated to this position, they'll no doubt receive fewer applications.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

That is actually completely awesome.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Smoke posted:

A ticket(well, contact form) went out yesterday, from me to Samsung. My phone's battery is showing signs of swelling and generally acting up, and the phone's a bit over a year old. Doesn't look like normal behaviour but over here batteries seem to have a 6 month warranty tops. So I decided to see what they were gonna do about it, and submitted a ticket.

Common problem I believe, a bloke at work had the same problem. He said that support had told him it was not unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

univbee posted:

does not mean that we know how to unfuck some sort of weird formatting issues they're having with their document (and also that it's not our job to teach them how to use the program they need to use for their job).

Yeah, but all too often I have ended up needing to do things that would qualify as "doing someone else's job".

Because hey, they just can't be bothered to learn how to do their job properly.

See: millions of Excel spreadsheets and Word documents that should have been databases of some description.

• Locked thread