Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

We support combat operations, so when our poo poo is down then people's lives are at risk. There is very little sympathy from the military leadership that we might have to stay an hour extra to finish a job instead of leaving when we normally do during the day.

I don't see why you'd have to wait around all night babysitting patch updates. Doesn't that other group you talked about ensure patch compatibility and stability? Can't you just use sccm or puppet to push them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

guppy posted:

The thing that gets me is that they'll deny all day long that they had anything to do with it. They have no idea what happened! It must have been aliens. That's the only explanation I see.

Motherfucker, these aren't my computers. I don't care what happened to it. Accidents happen, I get it, everyone gets it. Just don't lie to me!

THIS! Look I don't care, just don't bullshit me. Just say "Hey I accidentally dropped it". I understand poo poo happens, sales users are busy travelling all across the country, bags get thrown around. Just dont get pissy with me and blame the hardware or say we equip you with garbage.

The worst was when we started getting the first line of the iPad Airs, and thin Dell Lattitude 7440s. Suddenly everyone's less then 1 year old iPad 4 and Lattitude 6330 was absolute GARBAGE! Unusable and how can I expect anyone to work with such filth? Ugh sales...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hate conference room audio in every way shape and form! Go with expensive Polycom units that sound great? Nope gently caress you! Random sales guy teleconferencing in from an open convertible driving 70 mph on the high way in a construction zone cant be heard well. Go test and roll out a new unit. Tiny room with a little Jabbra speaker that works well in small areas? No gently caress you again! We need to be able to be heard at a whisper while hanging from above the ceiling tiles in the corner of the room. I'm just so tired of dealing with it. We've tested units that sound great when your on a good connection, I cant fly all over the country and test audio from lovely reception areas. Just because joe blow marketing genius cant be heard well doesnt mean there is a problem with the unit.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

BlackswordsCA and DickTrauma's stories were some of the best entertainment around. Glad to see they both got out. Hopefully Blackswords new job doesnt end up like DickTrauma's.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So we're opening a new facility and admin wants us to setup a pa system with wireless mics. Outside, where we have no power connections anywhere to be found. Its in the middle of a field, we'd have to run an extension cord around 500 feet over a road to some neighboring business if they'd let us. That's on top of all the interference we'd get on our lovely cheap mics from the wind. They got pissed when I told them it's not possible and to just get a megaphone.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So after I told admin that no we couldnt set up our lovely sound system/pa outside without any power source and that we wouldn't even want to in the first place because it would sound so bad I get a call from the CEO's admin assistant. Now it has to be able to work outside and be loud enough to present to over 300 people. Our current system cant support that inside let alone outside. I told her it's out of scope, we have no power forget it.

Two hours later I get another call. Drop everything this is now high priority, find a company to do it now. Never mind it's only 6 days away now at this point. I make some calls and get a quote and submit it to admin. Few hours later I get a call back. That company wont work because they want to use a generator to power the sound system and they think it will be to loud and they don't want to pay for the fuel to run it. gently caress me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This was my first suggestion. They were not happy with it.

It keeps getting better though! Now they want to be able to present some sort of ra-ra go us slideshow! Outdoors, in the full sun! I had a 30 minute conversation on this will in no way shape or form work. So now I'm wasting more time in my busy day to explain that not even our super expensive boardroom projector that is ceiling mounted would work outdoors.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So to continue the saga that is the no generator outdoor festival sound system on a PA debacle. I was told to forget the whole thing! Apparently me telling them no made them angry and now they're just hiring an outside vendor. Thank the lord! No word on how he will be getting past their insane generator request. I'll let you know after I attend next Thursday.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Entropic posted:

At least you won't have to deal with PST files.

About to move to Office 365 ourselves and this is one of the things I'm looking forward to. No more user bitching about only having a 2GB mailbox. Also each user will get 1TB of online storage which will be a godsend.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jesus I hate sales. They must've gotten together to decide to bitch en masse about us locking down iPads and demanding Netflix be allowed because they travel so much. I honestly wouldn't mind but they all include company paid data lines in them. I could just see the horrific bill coming in now. Told them no way, everyone has a personal laptop these days watch Netflix on that. Just shut the hell up about it already.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Roargasm posted:

How are you managing them? iOS 7 can prevent cellular data access by app

MobileIron. I hate iPads with every fiber of my being, hopefully I can convince the CIO to just go to Yoga type tablets or something. Windows 8 would be so much easier to manage.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

A ticket came in a few days ago with the text simply reading, "Why did you remove my photos?".

Turns out the user got hit with cryptowall almost a month ago and just now noticed that her files weren't loading. Never got the extortion screen, and the user is a tiny old lady who basically wouldn't notice if the thing were on fire. And, of course, Mcafee didn't catch a thing either because why the hell would it.

I mean, it's not like we need proper security or anything. We're just the airport located right across the river from our nation's capitol, no biggie.

McAfee, Endpoint, etc are all just about useless at this point. I really wonder if we would even use Endpoint if it didnt come free. I think at some point it will just make more sense to have good group policies, user training, and a great IPS/IDS system setup.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Sometimes it's not a bad thing to push the blame to the external provider "Yes email is down, it's on Microsofts server so yes we can't do anything about it".

The problem with this is that then they get mad at you for choosing 365 as a service provider even if it was their idea in the first place.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That's poo poo news Dick Trauma. I know it's said way to often here without consideration to the cost but I would think getting a lawyer could pay for itself and then some.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Hard to say, none of that is documented, just words from an HR drone.

True, if it is documented that the DirecTV malfunction is the reason for the firing though he might have a case. Even if it isn't just letting a company know that you've hired a lawyer could be enough to get a settlement. Just really sucks for Dicktrauma though. I was so happy for him when he moved to this job.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mllaneza posted:

You are honestly better off having a Quickbooks consultant on retainer, they get special support queues. And yes, the program has sucked for a looooong time.

This is the way to go. It sucks because some businesses are in that painful spot between to big for a simple Quickbooks setup and to small for a full fledged accounting software suite like great plains/microsoft dynamics and whatever else is out there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread was where I learned about a tool that will export emails from Outlook into .pst files by year. It might make her task easier if she uses that - sort thru 2014 emails, then 2013, etc.

http://www.rethinkit.com/prodMailScavator.html

I saved it knowing that one day it will save me some massive headaches.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had the weirdest thing pop up this week. One of our techs came up to show me some video of a users laptop picking up radio stations and playing them through the laptop speakers. I didn't believe him at first, figured it was something running in the background or something until I saw it myself first hand. It would change stations too depending on where she was. Dell came in and swapped out the motherboard and wifi card. Haven't heard back yet to see if that ended up fixing it or not.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like a nerd chest puffing match in here between who can grow the biggest backbone and who needs admin rights the most. drat nerds.

In the spirit of the thread though I had a great ticket come in!

A user requested an ergonomic keyboard which is no problem, I have one of the guys go bring her the standard Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Nope wont cut it. This special snowflake is dead set on some model that has a built in touch pad where the numpad would normally be. Its supposed to use swipes and gestures and what not to replace mouse functions and reduce strain on the user somehow. Well she got her supervisor approval so I didnt care and ordered it.

For the next two weeks she has put in multiple tickets regarding the drat thing. How she cant do work in excel or outlook or interact with browsers normally. Well yeah no poo poo! You bought some gimmicky piece of garbage that somehow combines the worse of touch interaction with apps and Win 7 specifically designed for a mouse keyboard setup. She keeps claiming that it is something wrong that we setup. I tell her that we can't do anything about the equipment and she can keep using it if she wants or go back to a normal mouse/keyboard. As of today she is still plodding through using the thing. I've offered her one of those standup vertical mouses but she flat out refuses to use anything else now. Finally it gets to the point where she is late on some work or something so she submits a few tickets saying the general my excel cant do this blah blah blah. I go over there this time with a mouse, plug it in, and use excel like any other normal human being would. Create whatever functions needed to be created all by the ease of selecting the exact cells I needed to! I explained the whole situation to her boss as I'm walking back to my office. He didn't seem pleased. Hopefully this will shut her up and she will just accept defeat.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nexxai posted:

You must be new here.

Hope springs eternal my friend. I'll give you all a guess as to what department she works in.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Sales? Marketing? IT?

Marketing, refuge of sales people everywhere that weren't attractive enough to make it any longer/ever.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

That's Doctor Teacher to you, computer butler! I am very important as you should be able to tell because of the very important letters after my name and this Rip Van Winkle laptop is completely UNACCEPTABLE for someone as important as me so you better FIX IT RIGHT NOW before I type more things in ALL CAPS and maybe UNDERLINE them too!!!

One of the coolest things I've ever seen my boss do was respond to an idiot like this. Guy wrote an email in nearly all caps and underlines demanding a new phone computer setup IMMEDIATELY!!! My boss responded that his equipment would be ordered when we got to it since everyone else had put in their new hire orders ahead of time and that his would have to wait. And that if he was having issues with his keyboard being stuck on caps that he should submit a ticket to the help desk. Guy shut up right there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I didnt think they had actually cracked the encryption, they just got their hands on a database of all the keys or something like that. Not a major breakthrough moving forward but useful for people who may have been infected in the past.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So I had one of our techs put in a service request with Dell for a new Latitude 7240 laptop that was under warranty. User was having battery life issues and it was occasionally powering off and getting some odd fan errors when it would boot. The Dell tech comes by and starts to work on it. Points out that there is a ton of corrosion everywhere on the laptop and looks like someone obviously spilled something on it. So we send it out to Dell to get replaced and the user gets a brand new Lenovo x240 to use in the meantime. THE NEXT DAY she spills coffee all over it. Won't turn on at all. She has single handedly proven the value of accidental damage warranty coverage.

At this point she is really freaking out because she thinks this laptop cost will be deducted from her paycheck. Our company generally has a policy of one allowed lost/stolen/damaged device every four years for phones, tablets, laptops, etc. I explain to her that we can get it covered under warranty and that aside from the time and effort of getting her another temp laptop ready she will be fine. That's when she comes clean. The first laptop had been peed on by her dog. She was afraid to tell us so she cleaned it as best as she could with paper towels and windex and hoped for the best. gently caress users.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oh god. It's finally happened to me. Some oddball industrial electron microscope in a far off lab has a computer that finally bit the dust. By the looks of it, it stayed on and running continuously for years. It was covered in about an inch of dust sitting under some boxes in a corner with a note attached to it that said "dont move loose power supply". Of course this computer is needed ASAP!!! Of course the computer is an old xp pentium 4 machine. I've contacted the vendor, we either need to pay the $50k + to get the windows 7 version of whatever snowflake software the microscope uses or we have to wait 4 weeks for them to ship a firmware update to patch the software (that no one knows where the installer is) to get it to work with 7. This is on top of the vendor insisting that we pay another $5k for the machine that they specced out.

Should be an interesting next couple of days.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I think the derision/condescension comes towards people who just unilaterally bash Win8 without the acknowledgement that it does have some pretty solid improvements under the hood and stuff. It's just more that the Modern interface (and irritations like doubling of programs to have an "app" version) is such a headache that it doesn't justify the good.

Windows 8 has some cool powershell features that come with it. I guess I would consider that an under the hood improvement. Also I think a lot of people in the build your own pc thread were telling people to go to Win 8 because theres a thought that any new direct x improvements wont be available for Win 7.

A user ticket came in. He's gotten a virus for the 2nd time this week! Cant wait until I can make everyone a standard use and tighten down a lot of other things.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Knormal posted:

Someone probably sent him an email that says "This statement is false."

Has anyone here deployed IE 11 through SCCM? Our SCCM guy says he can't get it to work unless he uses the light installer that phones home and downloads the components from Microsoft's servers, which is turning into a mess because of Websense issues. I'm able to manually install it by installing one KB patch and an offline installer I found, but he apparently couldn't get those working through SCCM. It seems like there must be a better way than having each machine download the components individually.

There are a couple of ways that I could see doing it. One is if you have SCCM integrated with your WSUS is to just package and deploy that update to whatever computers you want. The other would be to find the IE 11 admin kit and get the msi and set it up as a mandatory/available application that users could download.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We host Lync at my office. It has been a massive clusterfuck. As an internal IM client it is fine. However incoming/outgoing calls drop all of the time. And dont get me started on Lync meetings. Somehow any board member or executive loses half of their brain when they try to start or organize a Lync meeting. My favorite being when they double book a conference room, one as a Lync meeting the other as a normal meeting and then only see the normal meeting on the conference room computer and cant start the Lync meeting. Seriously gently caress Lync meetings forever.

Now all that said, I'm sure patches have fixed a lot of the random errors that do occur. I wouldn't know though because I'm headed into my fifth meeting in the last 6 weeks to discuss why it's bad that we dont use WSUS or let any computer update.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I've handed out how-to documents with screenshots, and had pretty good success with getting people to read and follow them. Basically, keep the words short & sweet, make the pictures clear, and don't go beyond 2 pages per guide if you can help it.

This is the way to go. Link to some more thorough guides and manuals that they can use if they want to. Otherwise short sweet and to the point.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

KS posted:

No tickets came in...

because my new employer doesn't have a ticketing system :stonk:

I'd love to get some recommendations for a small shop. We'd be starting with 5 agents. There's no infrastructure here, so it probably needs to be a butt solution. Ideally I'd get ITIL-style incident/problem/change/asset management out of one tool, but that seems to really narrow down the field.

I came from a Service Now shop and would love to get Service Now Express in the door, but they have a $10k/year minimum, or 17 agents at $50/user/month. Ouch. I've also found FreshService, but so far they aren't answering their phones.

Anyone have recommendations for me, or experiences with FreshService to share? Budget's probably $5k/year at most, unless the added features justify the cost.

The main recommendation your likely to get is Spiceworks which works well enough for a small shop and is free. You may also have access to Service Manager through your Microsoft Licensing agreement although that would be like killing a fly with a bazooka at that companies size.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

tomapot posted:

We are so used to Goon in a Well stories here that Goon in a Fire seems like a natural progression.

Look here bucko! Stop, drop and roll can wait. Network/servers/storage cannot.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Best one we have here is a Samantha Lutz, email is slutz@. Always got a giggle out of that one.

Several tickets came in (5+) for new hires who both accepted and start today. Was told to OMG DROP EVERYTHING and get started on them right away. Which would mean I would have to drop the last three fires they dumped on me. So....

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

My minimum turnaround for a new hire is two business days. If the new guy was sitting around doing jack poo poo for the last 3 hours, guess you should have followed company procedures eh? I'm not dropping my entire workload to deal with your incompetence. Especially not when I see that HR sent the "Fill this out and sent it to IT" poo poo over a week earlier.

Yeah I've fought this battle and resoundingly lost. It sucks for HR too as they have to drop everything to help process new hires as well. Sales and marketing run the show and they have flat out refused to live with the 2 week new hire notice policy. Then since we have to drop everything to help them people who do give 2 weeks notice fall behind and then they quite giving notice and pull the same poo poo. It's a vicious cycle.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

My immediate supervisor told HR that if they don't give us a week notice than the new user will be waiting in line like everyone else. We had a user sit for 2 days straight without a PC because I was very specifically told to not drop anything.

My immediate supervisor the CIO has in the past just dumped an urgent new hire on our laps with 2 days notice. The whole company is like this and its slowly driving me mad. Must days I can just detach myself from all of the chaos and madness and realize I have it pretty good, some days though I just want to throw my hands in the air and ask how the hell they expect me and my team to get everything done.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

One of the guys on help desk just took an epic call. He has the patience of a saint. Dont know how he refrained from killing himself or just rage-quitting. Director of HR is having VPN issues cant get shared drives, outlook is messed up, etc. Gets on the phone and tries to walk her through going to the start menu and clicking on the vpn icon under start, all programs, VPN. Somehow the director manages to restart her computer 3 TIMES trying to find the VPN icon. Finally she gets fed up and hangs up. Walks into the office later loudly declaring that she cant "access the server" sent another tech to go take a look and see what is going on now that she is in house. Should be interesting...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So many tickets come in from our idiot sales force. Why these people cant be responsible adults and remember their passwords is beyond me. Seriously so many password reset calls. We've implemented Okta for single sign on so for %90 of their logins they only have to remember ONE password but that's to much for them. I'm at a complete loss of what to do now but I know looking at our metrics that our helpdesk team spends way to much time on piddily crap like this.

Has anyone used or heard of some sort of forgot password type service that would work for AD accounts or is this a totally bad idea on my part? I'd love it if I could setup some kind of portal to have them answer their security questions and get a password reset link mailed to them or something similar to that. It'd be great to just tell the user go here and fix it yourself. Although I'm sure we'd have a couple idiots who manage to forget their security answers too.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We user service manager which is total overkill I feel like until you're sitting at 500+ users. It can do pretty much everything you just end up either getting really good at powershell and orchestrater customizing everything to your company or paying a poo poo ton of money to have an expert come in and do that for you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Unless his company is like mine in which case you will have WSUS and SCCM all setup to push out updates, including SCUP to add Adobe, Dell, and Java updates through WSUS and still not be allowed to actually use it. Because you know it's better to avoid updates in case they cause some sort of incompatibility error! God I cant wait to get out of here.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

gallop w/a boner posted:

Forget about AV - the best solution is an application whitelisting product that only allows users to run .EXE files that are pre-approved. We use Appsense Application Manager, but Applocker (part of Group Policy) works almost as well. We have zero malware since implementing this. There is of course extra overhead in maintaining an approved list of applications.

The shitstorm that this has caused at my work is overwhelming. Somehow this company made it past 500+ users all with local admin rights. When I got hired I started filling out our software center through sccm to make applications available to users and self install as well as taking away local admin rights. Cue entire weeks of meetings where I am accused of changing the company culture for the worst and "LITERALLY" making it impossible for someone to do their job now, (that same person also blamed an increase in spam on this change).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nielsm posted:

Where I work everyone is local admin. The AV is Symantec. There are more than 16k users. IE is pegged at 8 because of legacy software. The only malware issues we really see at helpdesk are dumb adware infections, usually from people using Bing to search for "google chrome" or "dropbox" and clicking the top sponsored result, which is invariably an adware-bundling download site.

You must have non mouth breathing employees as users. Of course my environment also wont allow us to push out new updates because of fears of compatibility errors with our ERP software. We also cant get the money to invest in upgraded firewalls or IDS/IPS systems as well.

What would you attribute your lack of malware to in your environment?

• Locked thread