Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We opened a ticket to have a consultant setup a Cisco switch for our 3 man plant location in the south and the dumbass never setup SSH. So we ended up sending a laptop down with a console cable so we could get into the switch.

He set a console password and never told anyone what he set it to and the documentation he had is wrong.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The access thing is no fun if your boss doesn't have your back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't even sweat printers anymore. I convinced management to go with this printer supply company that charges 10% extra for toner but repairs all printer for free, which includes both labor and parts. It's a loving godsend. I email those guys whenever a printer isn't printing correctly and it's all off my desk.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The PC has a mysterious parallel port dongle on it that might be for the app. I need to get answers out of the worthless vendor that supports the app before I do anything interesting. I'd love to use XP mode for this since by the end of the year the app will be able to work in 7 and this would save me some trouble.

The PC has been sitting there for two years out in the open at the location and I expected it to be seething with malware but it scanned completely clean in both my antivirus and antimalware software.

Sounds like Labelview. gently caress parallel port dongles.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Why must you all crush my dreams of putting Win 7 on this box? :(

It's just one machine and it's not on a domain so I'm still tempted if only because it's 2013 and I hate having to install XP.

At my job I started the whole "Windows XP is being discontinued come April 2014, which means it's a huge security issue". That lit a fire under my bosses rear end and now it's all upgrade everything to be Windows 7 compliant.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Crowley posted:

Waay back in the dark ages of IT one of my friends did Novell installs for a living, and got an order to set up an insane server with a whopping 128 MB RAM. Of course we installed Windows 3.11 on it just to try it out.
It wasn't fast at all.
Then we got the bright idea to make a RAMdrive for the (required) swap space. Then windows got pretty fast.
Then we got another bright idea, and put the entire Windows-folder on the RAMdrive. That made it seriously fast!
Then Windows crashed, took the machine down with it, and we had to reboot. Then we shrugged and went back to making Doom II mods.

We just got rid of our Novell file and email servers last year.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hey if anyone is trying to mess with GPO's and IE10, just spin up a quick 2012 VM and edit Group Policy from there. Your DC's don't need to be 2012, just edit GP from a 2012 box. I do it all the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It doesn't need to be a DC, right?

That is absolutely correct.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

EDIT: But wait, if it's not the DC how would that work? I know very little about server setup/environments outside editing GPOs and managing users.

Not sure exactly, all I know is that you need to open the GPO's in a 2012 environment. I spent a ton of time on this BS. My guess is that the 2012 server updates the GPO's. Just don't edit them in 2008 once you edit them in 2012.

I ended up making that VM into a WSUS and KMS server. Both work pretty great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The only reason we ever give a local printer to a user is if they are a manager and print confidential information. Even then, it needs approval from various folks. Our copiers are now setup where if a manager prints to it, they have to put in a password to get the job. There is no excuse.

A few people are pretty pissed off about this though, since it's my fault we removed all the local printers. I put together a spreadsheet on toner costs and well, no more local printers bitches.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

That's when you get one of those RICOH monsters that holds your job in queue until you show up at the printer and scan your RFID tag.

Hey, do you want to stay in budget or do you want to be secure? :colbert:

That's basically what we use but with 4 digit passwords. We lease them though which isn't bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You bastards who are allowed to use Lync :argh:

The president of the company has denied corporate IM. He says it will remove face to face and phone conversations and also be non productive. He is the same guy who 20 years ago famously said "what the gently caress do we need email for?".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You know what my job is right now? Upgrading 100 or so Windows XP desktops to Windows 7. No not buying them new computers, upgrading the OS to Windows 7. We're talking HP D530s desktops which are basically Pentium 4's.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Aw poo poo so I'm going over budgeting for 2014 with my boss and he put it into the budget to move the 50+ car batteries UPS's that are 2 feet from my desk into the actual server room after drat near 10 years.

:dance:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SRQ posted:

I live with my parents, I'm a student. I love my parents.

if they wake me up again because the internet isn't working instead of just loving rebooting the router i will burn the house down
IM NOT A WIZARD ALL I EVER DO IS PULL THE POWER CORD OUT AND PUT IT BACK IN

If your mom had to wake up at 3am because you were screaming for boob milk, you can reboot a router.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Fun fact, a clean install of Server 2003 R2 w/SP2 needs 133 high priority windows updates. Why couldn't they have released an SP3?

Because they don't want you installing 2003 R2. They sure aren't going to make it easier.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

guppy posted:

I have senior staffers who cannot resist dumb Outlook stationery. It doesn't cause problems or anything, but it just looks so unprofessional to me.

Our HR department had to mandate Outlook signatures because a good dozen people had comic sans in hot pink letters as their sig.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's a work-issued phone billed to the firm.

I feel like this would be fun to do but is otherwise not a good idea.

He's actually serious - there was a huge bug in IOS and Exchange that would drain the battery if there was an Exchange account. Apple released an update just to help fix this issue. Recently MS also released some Exchange patches that did the same.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Was this issue related to the logging issue? IIRC logs would fill up because the device would attempt to connect to exchange 10 times a second. Brought a server down due to disk space at my place before someone figured out what went wrong.

Possibly. We had the issue with the phones dying after an hour. We patched IOS and Exchange and that fixed it. I didn't look into it farther.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Win 8.1 upgrade is due out soon - when that hits, just right click the Start button and it's the same as winkey + x. That's going to be handy as gently caress for end users.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New user: I need my mailbox limit bumped up, I can't do my job with only 1 gig.
Me: Sorry but company policy is 1 gig, no exceptions. Even the CEO only has a 1 gig mailbox.
New user: That's crazy. Let me talk to a few people because I'm important.
*crickets*

Happens a few times a year.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

I bet they'd love our company policy of "3 months of email retention". If it's important, you'd better save it off somewhere.

Haha drat. The only other rules we have is that we disable archiving and psts through group policy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

Happens all the time but there isn't actually a hard limit anyway, people just get fed up of the warnings.

But yeah we always get similar grumblings with the 20MB attachment limit
:v: "You can get a 2TB hard drive for £50, why are you being so awkward?"
Sure, I'll install a lovely consumer grade hard drive for your mailbox then (hm.. this wouldn't be the worst of solutions. to shuffle fussy users onto bigger+cheaper storage)

Yeah, we have warnings at 950 megs and all email stops at 1 gig. I have an automated powershell script that gives me a mailbox size list so I know who I need to hassle.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The problem is that we don't want people to use their mailboxes as file storage. No thanks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We use corporate Syncplicity which is expensive as balls but at least we can manage it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We use SQL express for Solarwinds as well, along with a bunch of software that only 5-10 people need to hit. It's good for less than 20 users or so.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Haha I don't get those emails anymore.

"Well then change it." is my answer to that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All our users have iPhones now which doesn't really bother me much because it's one less server I have to manage. You get email and that's it, manage the rest yourself.

My boss has one of the new Windows 8 phones and I have an Android, not that it matters.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There is a GPO to uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types" option in Windows.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

A vender just came in to the front desk, and the front desk lady called saying there is brats and corn for me. Cooked.

Weird rear end vender.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The CEO called me today to go to his office and train him in OneNote. I've never loving used OneNote in my life. So I spent my lunch watching a OneNote training video from CBT Nuggets then spent an hour this afternoon showing him the ropes. :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

guppy posted:

I got an email from my boss this morning. He's in a meeting with the grand poobahs and he wants to know if I know why a projector in the conference room isn't working. The answer is that it was replaced by TVs a long time ago. When it did eventually break -- I don't even remember how we found out it broke since we don't use it anymore -- we asked management if they wanted it replaced. They said no. This was over a year ago. My boss should know this already because I kept him appraised of the situation at the time. The people he's meeting with should know because they're the ones who made the decision. Did everyone wake up extra crazy this week?

He probably does know it, just wanted written confirmation by you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

nexxai posted:

Ok, how is your first and only response anything other than "tough"?

Like I've said 100 times in these threads, by trying to find some ridiculously complex and technical solution to a very simple human problem, you're only making things more difficult on yourself because you are validating her behaviour as acceptable. If they have a problem doing something as basic as pressing the Shift key, that is something that you need to bring up with their superior, and not something you should be spending ANY time on researching beyond that.

Agreed 100%. You're going to see poo poo like this a lot and you gotta call it out to their manager or you're going to be spending all day researching stupid crap that doesn't matter. What is costing the company more? Her pushing the god drat shift key or you spending two days figuring out a workaround?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We don't get paid sick leave unless you go to the loving doctor and have a signed note. Flu where the doctor doesn't want to see you? Better hope you have vacation saved up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

The last time I was told this, I said "If I were well enough to get out of bed, shower, get dressed, and drive to the doctor's office, I'd be well enough to come in!"

I tried that, and they said the same - but still need a hand written doctors note to be paid for sick time. You can take a sick day anytime, just won't be paid for it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We don't allow users to release their spam emails. Most don't even know they can view them, we don't tell them it's available or that we even have a spam appliance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I might be interested depending on the size/price.

Same - good stocking stuffers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our CEO mandated that passwords never expire so yep, they don't. A lot of passwords are default of username123.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Volmarias posted:

It's more common for blue collar employees, where using a forklift on shrooms can lead to bad things happening. It's very uncommon for white collar roles, however, and I can't imagine that upper management roles aren't exempt, de facto if not de jure.

I work IT for a manufacturing company and random drug tests happen for 100% of the employees mainly because people have gotten hurt on the plant floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just got this today:

quote:

Hey
I had speaker fall on a glass table with my computer on it this weekend. The glass table was destroyed, as well as my computer screen.
Can you send me a new computer? This one’s screen is cracked and broken and I cannot see to work.
How would you like me to proceed? I want a new laptop over nighted ASAP.

Thanks

• Locked thread