Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TWBalls posted:

This is me. And that one cert I have is a lovely old A+ from 1998.

At least mine is an expired CCNA. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blackswordca posted:

Apparently its a company policy not to security audit.

I don't even know if :stonk: is a strong enough emoticon to respond to this statement.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Scikar posted:

I would guess you probably got to the bottom of this (or this is sarcasm), but just in case, if these work like IBM RSAs then dedicated means "use the specific NIC for the DRAC", and shared means "piggyback off one of the regular NICs for the server itself". So depending on your network setup that might explain why you couldn't see it. Handy if you're limited on switch ports or are shipping the server off somewhere and you know that an idiot will be plugging it in at the other end.

Yeah, newer Supermicro IPMIs are exactly the same as you describe above as well.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

stevewm posted:

My boss is horrible about this.. Anytime I tell him something can't be done with what we have currently (because he is to drat cheap to upgrade stuff) his favorite line is "With today's technology I can't believe that it won't do that..." I cringe anytime I hear it.

If you have outdated gear, wouldn't the easy retort be "Well, unfortunately sir, we don't really have 'today's technology' in the office due to budget concerns, so we have to make do with what we have?" (depending, of course, on whether such a retort would get you raked over the coals or not).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It's me, I'm the one that just quietly locks their workstation instead of being a hazing rear end in a top hat. v:shobon:v

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone else work with a goon?

Yeah, I got my current position via the SH/SC job posting thread and now the person responsible is my direct-report boss. I also think my coworker has an account but I dunno if they ever post.

I've never had anything I've posted brought up as an issue and I self-censor enough that it should be difficult to know who we are, so as long as it remains not an issue, it's not an issue, IMO.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

:argh: None for Toshiba!

Or Samsung. I'm the last one out of the office today, it would be perfect...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

guppy posted:

You can call me a humorless bore if you want, but to me this field has enough annoyances without people you work with creating more of them for you, even if you think they're benign. I want the people I work with to act like professionals.

Nah, I'm the same way. I'll just lock said person's computer/phone/other gadget and maybe send them a nice email warning them that someone not as nice as I am may get to them first next time, so be careful. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I am supposed to be pressing a button on a ticket to start the clock when I am working on a case, and then press it again when I am not. So what they want me to do is start timer on case A, work case A, get call on case B, stop timer on case A, start timer on case B, finish call on case B, stop timer on case B, go back to case A, start timer on case A, etc. 75% of my time needs to be put on cases. Luckily we can just add time to cases, and that is what I do, especially since I tend to work on 2-3 things at once.

Jesus christ, that would drive me absolutely mental. I already don't handle being micromanaged well - it being done to that degree would probably make me lose my mind.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

odiv posted:

My most recent ticket subject was just "Quesion".

My favorites are the tickets from foreign clients where the subject and body are both just "DOWN".

Never in lower case or actual proper case, just "DOWN".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RadicalR posted:

They were walking him out the door anyways. Sooo...

You can still do things like file for unemployment insurance if you're fired, especially when it's as nebulous and bullshit as described. Not so if you quit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

Here's a more realistic question I could get:

"Help my printer is not working"

What do you do?

Shoot the hostage printer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sickening posted:

Is that really something to be :smug: about?

I think that was meant to be parody of the people who actually say things like that.

(I hope. :ohdear:)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

I have never, ever been so happy to read a post on this forum before. :woop:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

blackswordca posted:

Also, hasslehoffing an unlocked desktop im fine with, though there are people I work with who will change backgrounds on unlocked computers and phones to pictures from shock sites which I think is going way to far.

Now I get to be the wet blanket. I just lock their workstation/phone/whatever and maybe send them an email letting them know so they don't get harassed by someone that wasn't me. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sirotan posted:

On a last note of absurdity, they found my air intake completely full of corn. Corn!!

Possibly explains the squirrel.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Someone on /r/sysadmin (I know, I know) said that it worked for them, actually.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

foghorn posted:

"Do the needful" is an old chestnut that our customers in India have been using for a while, but they all seem to have jumped on the "please revert" bandwagon as well. Even if they don't completely grasp what it means. Point in case, another ticket from a couple nights ago, same customer.

It's like "revert" is a magic word he uses when he wants something done but doesn't know exactly what.

Yeah, I run into that a lot. It's usually "Please revert back to us", which I usually take to mean something closer to "please report back to us", I guess?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Entropic posted:

I keep seeing goons defend Win8 and condescend to anyone who would want a new computer with an outdated OS like Windows 7. Check the build-a-new-computer threads. Mind you, it's usually with the caveat that Windows 8 is perfectly fine as soon as you use a bunch of third-party hacks to make it not look like Windows 8 any more.

Yeah, I think the derision/condescension comes towards people who just unilaterally bash Win8 without the acknowledgement that it does have some pretty solid improvements under the hood and stuff. It's just more that the Modern interface (and irritations like doubling of programs to have an "app" version) is such a headache that it doesn't justify the good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

peak debt posted:

I loving can't stand the conversations starting with a "Hi" followed by silence. Other than that, I'd rather have somebody IM me than email, it saves me from adding the "Hello X / Kind Regards" bullshit, and it's much easier to extend a conversation if poo poo turns out to be more complex than originally thought.

That is one of the single most infuriating IM habits ever. Holy poo poo. Open a conversation with at least a brief blurb about what you want so I can ascertain whether it's important enough to stop what I'm doing at the moment or I just need to ask you to wait and I'll get back with you when I have time. Jesus christ.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

nexxai posted:

Whoa, I think you're getting a little bent out of shape there. If they don't include any information, just ignore it; wait until there's some substance to respond to. No need to freak the gently caress out about it.

What, is annoyed hyperbole no longer allowed in the thread or something? :v: It's really just annoying because with the people that do it, if you ignore them, you just go into a repeated pattern of "hi" "hello" "hi?" "you there?" and it's like "yes, I'm here but I'm busy, what do you want?".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

My replies are usually either "hanging in there", "eh. sixty-fourty", or a very excited and happy sounding "TERRIBLE, YOURSELF? :D"

I've learned that most callers get caught totally off-guard with those, react positively, and it can break up their initial generic fury at whatever password they've mistyped a dozen times in a row when they first call.

"Eh, I'm alive, I suppose" is really good at defusing any previous hostility that may have been there because it's so unorthodox.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

J posted:

The real question is what's worse, printers or banks?

Banks. Printers at least haven't actively tried to ruin the world economy (to my knowledge, at least). :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Commodore 64 posted:

New computers have been coming in! We're replacing the 5 year old Dell 380s!

And we've got push back?

He works in the Risk department of a credit card processor.

I would just love to be a fly on the wall during a conversation about the work-relevance of such a request.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I see this too and I'm morbidly curious to know if they do this while typing too, but I don't really want to know the answer.

As someone with a parent who does this, yes. Yes they do.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Computer professionals don't seem to use the whole home keys system much, most of us I have met were high speed hunt and peckers. We are paid to think, not type. If they want a typist, they can hire a secretary.

Excuse me, I grew up with Mavis Beacon and instinctively sit down at a keyboard with my hands on the home row. :colbert:

(then again my left hand almost immediately gravitates towards WASD if I'm idle for any length of time so who knows. :v:)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Camper spotted.

E: The wads guy.

In my defense, the first PC game I ever played was Wolfenstein 3D, in my dad's lap, at the tender age of six. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sheep posted:

OSI layer 8.

I learned that one from the teacher that taught my CCNA class in high school. She was great.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel there's an implication to the use of "please advise" that is pretty much "You did this intentionally or were too incompetent to prevent it."

I use it very rarely and that is precisely why/when I use it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Also please be safe anthonypants. :ohdear:

Eh, until a ticket reply/voicemail come in threatening to rip out and eat his heart, it's really not a "be safe" situation yet.

Also for situations like that, god bless mantrap-style entrances to data centers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Dumb question since it keeps comiong up. "YOTJ" = ??
I'm guessing "...off the job", but can't figure out the Y.
...and after typing this I'm wondering if its YOLO off the job, but that seems dumb even for goons.

Year of the Job. It originated a while ago when there was a span of lots of people getting nice improvements in their jobs in quick succession, and turned more into a mindset/catchprhase thereafter.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

You take your rear end back to work Monday morning and you shake the hand of this CEO immediately. As superfluous as this request probably is , the fact that they're aware of how important keeping redundant backups is makes them deserve an award. Many, many places are completely unaware of this.

Seriously, no poo poo. "These documents are beyond mission critical and thus we would like for them to be backed up past the point of redundancy" is a good mindset and an all-too-rare one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dick Boat posted:

Maybe your security isn't up to par???

If that's an actual quote, I'm impressed that you have managed to avoid impaling them on a pike as an example. Jesus christ.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Supervisor is sitting in my office. Law and Order SVU is on the television. He's currently hooting and hollering in support of the rapist during a rape scene. I don't know what the gently caress my life is anymore.

That strikes me as the sort of thing that you should bring up to HR or something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You're not the only one.

Also I have heard nothing about RDC issues in Windows 10; going 10->7 and 7->10 has worked fine for me without issue (and then I've upgraded everything I use to 10 anyways so :shrug:).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ilkhan posted:

There were a few times on the tech preview when I couldn't connect to/from win10 to/from win7 using RDP, but they always went away as mysteriously as they appeared.

I've had computer competent adults not know what the windows key is. I just facepalmed and tried to explain its the little flag looking key between ctrl and alt on the left side of the keyboard.

Ah, I never messed with the previews, so this has all been post-release.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

kensei posted:

We have legacy DSL customers from our ISP days, and one guy has received 354 DMCA notices in the last 30 days.

:stare::lol:

Jesus christ. The datacenter I work at has a client that runs a big VPN network and has like 30 nodes with us and doesn't even get that many DMCAs in a month unless it's like... the day after a new Game of Thrones/other HBO show du jour.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Migishu posted:

You growing that spine of yours a few weeks back was probably the start of his downfall. Keep it up.

Seriously. This is like the feel-good movie of the year but in post form.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

EDIT: GM has started removing my supervisor from CCs and just asks poo poo to me directly. Highly amused over here.

It's beginning. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sirotan posted:

:ohdear:

(It helps me not forget that I've plugged it in somewhere...)

Presumably that is not very heavy, whereas a set of keys is much more so. :)

• Locked thread