Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Simple, just get Microsoft to use a different tag. Problem solved.

I don't get why they wouldn't just add that as a tag alias. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

larchesdanrew posted:

Brain teaser time!

We had three 6TB NAS units die, and each unit was at ~99% capacity.

I have been allotted two 4TB NAS units to restore and rehost all that data.

CAN YOU SOLVE THE MYSTERY

Yes.

It was larchesdanrew, in the chief engineer's office, with a Buffalo NAS.

(We are playing Clue, right?)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

My avatar for our office IM is the art for the MtG card Judge's Familiar, since my boss uses a picture of Judge Dredd. :v:

The people that play Magic and recognize the art think the joke is hilarious so I'm happy with it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

:golfclap:

This guy is showing me all his toys. He's looks like Santa and he's adorable.

"You have IT guys and then you have 'IT guys.' [points at supervisor's office] 'IT guy'."

And you haven't begged him to take you with him yet? :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Holy poo poo, I think "freedom of password" is one of the best things I've read in a while. :lol:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

For real though, why would they get mad that it would be easy. Idgi

If it's easy, then it makes them look stupid and they take offense to that.

I have to deal with the same thing with my mother. There's a reason I have severely curtailed the free-because-family tech support I provide.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

Hmmm...seems to be missing something...

Ah, there we go

Masterful. :golfclap:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Entropic posted:

I remember at one point drat near everyone I knew was on MSN Messenger and LiveJournal and now I'm not sure if either of those even still exist.

MSN Messenger has basically been subsumed by Skype, but LJ is totally still a thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The commenting on LJ is a a lot easier to have conversations on than Tumblr; they're not strictly overlapping (though the userbase is, yeah).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MJP posted:

Am I the only IT professional in the world who doesn't really care about FO4? I'm not big on crafting, and these days I don't want to spend hours exploring stuff - I wanna play a game, kinda. It's hard to describe.

You are not, nope. Hell, for me the thing I'm looking forward to is the new Diablo III patch. :shobon:

A DMCA just came in. Apparently someone on our network is selling counterfeit... Conair hair dryers. :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh god, it begins. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

18 Character Limit posted:

Reply back "That doesn't concern you."

Holy poo poo, yes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

that sata cable and zip ties are worth more than the 32mb pc100 ram sticks.

But they could be important!!! :byodood:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kashuno posted:

This can't be a real thing. It just can't. Please larchesdanrew, I will not even be made if you just admit it's all a farce.

The porkchop thing? I've seen that happen on Dallas public transit. That's the most believable bit of it to me. :negative:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Why would you pay $340 for a keyboard with LEDs when the best keyboard known to man retails for about $30?

Holy poo poo, I'm not the only one that loves this keyboard more than is reasonable?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Renegret posted:

I love this so much.

If that happened at my company, we'd be calling the billing guy and telling him to get his rear end out of bed and onto his laptop to fix it.

Kind reminder that steadfast's website advertises four 9s.

poo poo, where I work, all of the support techs have at least read-only access to "is this invoice paid (y/n)"-level billing info and full authorization to unsuspend servers suspended for any reason aside from abuse and the related department will deal with it when they get in, because, no poo poo, client satisfaction and uptime are more important than sticking it to someone for that invoice. :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Just wait until you meet a vaper that mixes their own liquids. It's like an unholy combination of a tinker and an alchemist. :stonk:

(My boss is one. He has a tackle box that he keeps vials of ingredients and finished liquid in.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Later, he came by and handed me a slip of paper that simply said "we need an IT guy :)"

Below it, I wrote "$75k and my own department :)" and gave it back. He was not amused.

That's awesome. Would you have actually gone back at that rate/configuration?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A ticket update came in.

"I WANT MANAGER TO TELL ME HOW <Kyrosiris> THINK HE HAVE RIGHT TO DISABLE IP JUST BECAUSE DO NOT ANSWER TICKET"

I'm this tempted to just drop links to our TOS and Abuse policy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Are you the guy that works in hosting?

I don't think I'm the only one by a long shot, but yeah.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I just lock people's workstations who forget to. v:shobon:v

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Renegret posted:

oh god

I shouldn't watch this, should I

I found it more amusing than the one Boogalo linked, which was just :stonk: incarnate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Renegret posted:

Today I learned not to name applications after human names.

Otherwise get e-mails reporting "Cassandra choking on the load" (direct quote)

The real question was, how many times were you warned about the load before it happened? :v:

• Locked thread