Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I want a trait that gives me +2 for swim checks made in a pool

God this pitch was painful to read - not the worst KS, certainly, but maybe the saddest. This guy clearly feels deeply about this stuff, but he can't get a job doing it (his bio and a couple blurbs talk about being rejected by different game companies). He wants this game's success to prove that was all an injustice - that the whole thing is rigged against him, that it's unfair that nobody can see his talent.

But the reality is his setting ideas are banally terrible, the system stuff is heartbreakingly bad (surely he doesn't actually regularly play modern games?), and his writing skills are at about a 7th grade level. He can't put two paragraphs together for a pitch without a run-on or a sentence fragment.

Anyway, yeah, I really had a hard time reading this one - but I also couldn't stop.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

I can't decide which is better, that or the bonus to repairing combine harvesters.

Farm Hand is better, because it gives you a big bonus to something you'll never roll, doesn't actually make you better at farming, but also penalizes you at a skill you may have to actually roll because hicks, amirite?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Banal is absolutely the word for it, I can't remember the last time I saw a game so aggressively uninteresting as this one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know, right? Even for a d20 heartbreaker it's amazingly banal.

Really, the only real laughable thing is how they renamed Strength to Brawn, then on the character sheet they did three-letter abbreviations for each stat, so it was listed as "BRA" and they apparently had no problem with that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Banal is absolutely the word for it, I can't remember the last time I saw a game so aggressively uninteresting as this one.
The description of the campaigns is, at least, somewhat intriguing.

quote:

Campaigns will take place over 20 weeks, offering players multiple missions to take each week. But pick carefully, as some missions have consequences to the story if not taken, causing problems for different groups on the planet, eventually creating a much bigger problems that the party will have to solve later on.
I mean, it's kind of choose-your-own-adventurey, but there's at least something like a structure to it.

Also the art isn't terrible.

But the rest of it - the whole 'ordinary people' shtick, the regressive and awful mechanics ... ugh.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

And it's funded. Hopefully they won't make much more or they'll have to provide physical rewards. Because having physical stretches on an all digital campaign is the best idea

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I feel bad ragging it because it's not offensive but not that bad because it's funded and who knows, he could go on to grow and create better projects some day. Certainly better than I'll ever be able to do.

But then again, Farm Hand.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

But then again, Farm Hand.

Just had an idea for a game where everybody plays giants/titans/colossi/what-have-you and the trait Farm Hand means you literally have a farm on your hand.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Mercenary work is a bad fit for realism, because modern mercenary work is usually rather mundane with only short bursts of conflict. After all, mercenaries, unlike their fictional counterparts, are fairly risk-averse. Dead men cash no checks, after all.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

dwarf74 posted:

The description of the campaigns is, at least, somewhat intriguing.

Yeah, I honestly like the idea of an adventure path as '20 adventures, you level up after each one'. Simple, modular, easy to steal one or two to bolster your own game.

E: But I suppose that's what makes it a heartbreaker. A handful of good ideas in the middle of nothing much.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 16, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FastestGunAlive posted:

I feel bad ragging it because it's not offensive but not that bad because it's funded and who knows, he could go on to grow and create better projects some day. Certainly better than I'll ever be able to do.

I don't even really know you, but somehow I doubt this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, I honestly like the idea of an adventure path as '20 adventures, you level up after each one'. Simple, modular, easy to steal one or two to bolster your own game.

E: But I suppose that's what makes it a heartbreaker. A handful of good ideas in the middle of nothing much.
That's how 13th Age Organized Play has been working since day one; each adventure is four sessions that gives you an incremental advance, then at the end of the adventure you level up. So they didn't even have that idea first.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
BRA

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I honestly cannot think of an RPG where combat would last "several sessions", outside of maybe a weirdly optimized 3.Path high-level game.

I've had it happen in a few editions of D&D, but that was usually due to flukes, like the luck of the dice rendering all sides in a conflict amazingly impotent.

Kai Tave posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress, a bonus to identifying places you've already been? "poo poo, what was the name of this place again, it's on the tip of my tongue..."

I can't decide which is better, that or the bonus to repairing combine harvesters.

I get what it's going for, but it's still useless. It's not "Hey Bob, what's the name of this planet again?" but rather "Hey guys, I recognize this place. We crashed on Zargoflex."

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

potatocubed posted:

Yeah I was talking to this guy on IRC and the one-book adventure path with a choice of options was the really interesting part.

Unfortunately here's the kind of missions we're talking:

http://infiniteodyssey.us/games/index.php?title=Rescue_Mission

The heartbreaking part is that the dude has put $17k into the game so far and paid several employees he hired off /tg/ who have then bailed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, that is some Grade-A Prime "I know what I mean so so should everyone else" writing.

quote:

The heartbreaking part is that the dude has put $17k into the game so far and paid several employees he hired off /tg/ who have then bailed.
Good lord it's Fyxt all over again. :psyduck:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mojo Jojo posted:

And it's funded. Hopefully they won't make much more or they'll have to provide physical rewards. Because having physical stretches on an all digital campaign is the best idea

Tbf, the goal was $1000 with two people pledging at the $200 goal that gives a spot (and one for a friend!) in a biweekly game by the creator, $150 to name a main character in a forthcoming novel that's part of the setting, and two for $100 for an "architect PDF."

Since this is funded already, I'm sure the creator is ready to spend 20 sessions with at least four random people and running sessions for them in his own game unless he doesn't because he doesn't have to do any of that if he can't or doesn't want to.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
But what IS Outer Edge?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

senrath posted:

I get what it's going for, but it's still useless. It's not "Hey Bob, what's the name of this planet again?" but rather "Hey guys, I recognize this place. We crashed on Zargoflex."

"I start examining the trees."
Rolls a die
"Oh guys I know, we're on Pluto."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"I start examining the trees."
Rolls a die
"Oh guys I know, we're on Pluto."

It's easier than that.
There are Dozens of Worlds and Dozens of Species, so if there's a Kepplar Dog, you're on Rodonia. If there's more than one species, it's Earth Neo Terra.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

But what IS Outer Edge?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in. It's effectively two 200-paragraph stories that share mechanics and game assets like item cards and the co-pilot roster. Also both of those stories are pretty funny because everyone you encounter is a complete bastard and mostly out ofr themselves, hence the name.

It's been doing good on Kickstarter and hit its modest funding goal pretty quickly, now I'm working on stretch goals and trying to improve things before the project comes to an end in a few weeks. Anyway if you're hunting around for something to fund maybe you'll enjoy it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-sci-fi-adventure-gamebo

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

This seems like an interesting idea - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kekonomicon/blitzzone-fantasy-football/description

I find their estimated delivery of this September somewhat optimistic, but a carry case with integrated pitch seems ideal for Blood Bowl. Wonder if they'll make a Dreadball version?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So this is third party gear for Blood Bowl? Not a bad idea.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

This seems like an interesting idea - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kekonomicon/blitzzone-fantasy-football/description

I find their estimated delivery of this September somewhat optimistic, but a carry case with integrated pitch seems ideal for Blood Bowl. Wonder if they'll make a Dreadball version?

Despite myself I'm actually pretty impressed. Usually I look askance at anything else but an rpg dry erase battle mat, but I could see using this for a room by room dungeon crawl if you are not doing blood bowl. The integrated counters and miniature storage are useful. Looks great for travel. Only thing is the sharp edges of the case look like they could get dinged up pretty fast.

I appreciate that you could play on a block of concrete outdoors but that's never going to happen (outside cons) :allears:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in. It's effectively two 200-paragraph stories that share mechanics and game assets like item cards and the co-pilot roster. Also both of those stories are pretty funny because everyone you encounter is a complete bastard and mostly out ofr themselves, hence the name.

It's been doing good on Kickstarter and hit its modest funding goal pretty quickly, now I'm working on stretch goals and trying to improve things before the project comes to an end in a few weeks. Anyway if you're hunting around for something to fund maybe you'll enjoy it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-sci-fi-adventure-gamebo

:toot: Hahaha. I enjoyed Sword of the Bastard Elf. I thought you did find a crazy book from the 80's in an attic and decided to do a Lets Play of it. So I was confused when I saw this kickstarter. "Did he buy the rights to Two-Fisted Fantasy off the original writer?" :negative:

Sword of the Bastard Elf is goldmined: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727561

Void Racers is goldmined: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741940

From the Kickstarter: Johnny is Eternal

Some Sword of the Bastard Elf stuff

Totally worth it for $12 -22. Good luck Mr. Skull. :allears:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The Tak kickstarter is near ending. Is this really any good?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Creator's profile:

quote:

I have been trying to find a place in the gaming industry for over 10 years. I have applied to Wizards of the Coast, Games Workshop, even Marvel, DC, and Dark Horse, but I never get a reply. When I call them they always say the same thing, they are only hiring people with industry experience. This I have found incredibly frustrating. I found several other likeminded writers that have had the same problems, and a year ago we decided to start a company of our own.

Not sure if :smith: or :unsmith: or both.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Also, since there was some Noirlandia hype in the thread before, here's a reminder that the campaign's almost done! It's great, and I'm not just saying that because I'm working on it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He probably doesn't have any other, more relevant experience either. Also doesn't seem to realize there are plenty of companies willing to hire freelancers with no industry experience.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kwyndig posted:

He probably doesn't have any other, more relevant experience either. Also doesn't seem to realize there are plenty of companies willing to hire freelancers with no industry experience.

Why would he want to work at a scrublord company like the one he just started?

Caedar posted:

Not sure if :smith: or :unsmith: or both.

Very much :smith:

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

inklesspen posted:

The Tak kickstarter is near ending. Is this really any good?

I've tried some games against myself on playtak.com. I suck horribly. I think I like it. I don't think I $550 like it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Helical Nightmares posted:

:toot: Hahaha. I enjoyed Sword of the Bastard Elf. I thought you did find a crazy book from the 80's in an attic and decided to do a Lets Play of it. So I was confused when I saw this kickstarter. "Did he buy the rights to Two-Fisted Fantasy off the original writer?" :negative:

Herman Skull's name is right there on the cover!

Thanks for the write up! I'm going to find another book pretty soon as well.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Totally in on this - I hadn't seen any of the previous stuff, but this looks crazy awesome.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In older KS news, I'm still getting new Mutant Chronicle books from Modiphius periodically. I just really wish they sent out DTRPG links instead of having to manually download the drat things off of a file locker site. Think there's like one left.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kwyndig posted:

In older KS news, I'm still getting new Mutant Chronicle books from Modiphius periodically. I just really wish they sent out DTRPG links instead of having to manually download the drat things off of a file locker site. Think there's like one left.

Oh man, I keep meaning to pick up my Thunderbirds stretch goals from their office. Thanks for reminding me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

How is the Mutant Chronicle stuff?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's so much of it I haven't had a chance to really read it all yet. At my last count there were a dozen sourcebooks they've released through the Kickstarter.

edit: I did do a quick mechanical rundown of the system though earlier in the thread, they're also using it for a couple of other games.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 19, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Mutant Chronicles book of the month-or-three club was what got me to back Conan.

That and I thought I'd have hundreds of Conan themed miniatures by now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

jmzero posted:

Totally in on this - I hadn't seen any of the previous stuff, but this looks crazy awesome.

cheers, I'll be running another found gamebook thread in a couple of weeks as well in GBS so if you're interested drop in.

• Locked thread