Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been tempted by playing card kickstarters, but the cost of international shipping has always stopped me from buying what I convince myself is just another Bicycle deck with a fancy paint job that I'll never use.

Then thedanddmom posted a couple of early samples in Hot Modrons, and my immediate reaction was, 'holy poo poo, these would make fantastic props'. Then she said that she was looking into it, and I might have squealed just a little, and then I pledged the minute she put up a link here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
An indiegogo project I pledged to received a similarly enormous windfall, only to have it fall through because decimal places got rearranged by accident. Awesome if this one's real, but...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

gnome7 posted:

Also I fully endorse Grim World, it is worth picking up entirely for the Channeler, Shaman, and Battlemind. The Death Moves being rad as hell is also a bonus.

Really doubt I'll ever play it, but pledged on this one because I really like that variety of weird fantasy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fenarisk posted:

Why is it a shame when it's long overdue?

All I see is a gimmick that confines sales to people who own tablets capable of running the software. Minis aren't exactly a killer app.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fenarisk posted:

I personally don't know anyone that doesn't have a tablet or smartphone at this point, it works on all platforms including $50 android tablets or phones which the majority of the population have anyway. It's a logical next step for a lot of media.

I think you're making a huge assumption about tablet penetration rates, here. Several, even. I know a few people who own them, and never use the things. I doubt either of our anecdotal samples are exactly representative of the gaming population, for that matter.

Regardless, all I'm seeing here is basically a hopped-up version of those computerized chessboards they sold at Radio Shack back in the Eighties.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
At a glance it seems to have a better grasp of punk than the average blah-punk title, but yeah. I flinched the first time I read the name, imagining the typical 'rich people in dirigibles' steampunk schtick with a deadly dose of Orientalism.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I... I mean... It's beautiful.

Callipygian, even.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

It's also cute, which helps a lot.

And some of us remember working with LOGO, or even robot turtles, which lends it some nostalgia value on top of everything else.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Art is a strong selling point in gaming, and artists definitely got to eat. I'm a strong proponent of the 'gently caress you; pay me' philosophy of wage negotiation for 'creatives'. There are limits, though. Those companies who put out thick tomes that drip with art from every page, that cost northward of fifty, sixty bucks for a corebook, or the ones that sell boutique editions for upward of a hundred a shot? They're not just selling art, or even rules: they're leveraging names that already echo through nerd-caves everywhere, and reputations for selling things that are worth paying top dollar for.

A Kickstarter by a bunch of amateurs who are dead-set on making something as pretty as a D&D, or Pathfinder, or Rogue Trader book... is not. Even if unformatted playtest information is disseminated, they're trying to sell a pig in a poke. Those professionally produced books sell for so much not just because of our friend, inflation, but because people can flip through them at the store. Because there are reviews from reputable people, and word of mouth from the rest. A Kickstarter offers little tangible, but asks a lot... especially when it's asking close to fifty bucks for a couple of PDFs.

There are companies that ask for twenty-plus for PDFs, sure. Again, they're established publishers, and I still hesitate to fork out that much even then.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
What Jedit said. Party hats are cheap and easy; nobody's going to care how lousy they are. People dropping big money on a tie-in that turns out to be hot garbage, or not doing so (see the D&D movies) can be downright poisonous to later attempts. Not enough people will notice or care that lovely Megaman Game was made by lovely Company, and New Megaman Game is made by New Company-- they're just going to remember how lovely the whole thing was before.

Plus licensing can be really goddamn weird. Before they imploded, Interplay sued the owners of the Star Trek IP because they claimed that the low quality/popularity of the related TV shows and lack of new movies was harming their bottom line as the video game licensor. Nevermind that their offerings themselves were often iffy at best to begin with.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Slender only preyed upon manchildren. I've always liked the Jabberwock they had on an episode of the Muppet Show; it was quite similar to the original drawing, coloured an unwholesome green and with bared buck teeth that almost gave me nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCJFFxoHJ4

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Originally the "legend of slenderman" (see trolling paranormal forums) had him targeting children specifically.

Ah! Colour me corrected. I only glanced at his origins before he rose to meme-hood, but I vaguely remember that now.

JackMann posted:

A lot of people assume that because it was made on the internet, it's free game.

I found this a lot more understandable twenty years ago, when most of the public Web was unformatted text and FTP directories of sexy fantasy scans, and everyone poached rotatingskull.gif from everyone else. Now, (at least) a decade into heavy commercialization and copyright awareness, it feels like entitled twits willfully sticking it to individual creators because they can be harassed into submission.

Creative Commons is neat. I don't understand much of it on the legalese level, or how well it might stand up if actually pushed really hard, but I like the intent behind it.

Unrelated, that Bones jabberwock is gorgeous.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"The delicious mistress and her jealous owner." There aren't enough WTFs for that godawful thing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, that write-up for Amethyst makes me want to go outside and lie in front of a steamroller to make the hurting stop.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The part of me that still tries to find the good in people wants to think something like Arcanum, though that was a mess in and of itself. The rest of me is remembering way too many awful magic vs. science novels over the years, and the people for whom they were a ray of hope in a world that didn't ~understand~ them.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Gasperkun posted:

I figured it was a shoe-in, considering how much love I hear expressed for Dark Sun, and this made by its (co?-)creator.

To me, Dark Sun is like Planescape: a fond memory and high point of 2E and my early adulthood, that simply can't be properly duplicated or replaced by modern systems or a vaguely uncomfortable delve into my stacks of AD&D-branded books.

That and as much as I like prog rock and concept albums, tying one together with a sight-unseen gaming supplement and asking a painfully high price for both told me that these guys either didn't realize that most people wouldn't give a gently caress about their musical stylings, or just didn't have any idea how to run a Kickstarter. In either case, regardless of pedigree, that didn't fill me with confidence in their focus on the project.

And eh, Pathfinder. I remember a crowdsourced effort to convert Dark Sun to 3E, way back when. It didn't end well, with multiple core conceits just... not translating cleanly at all. A GM so inclined could kitbash conversions appropriate to his group over a weekend, getting a sense of satisfaction, leaving twenty bucks in his pocket, and not having to wait however long for a PDF that may or may not actually meet his needs or expectations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That sort of thing is easy to get your hands on, too. It's weirdness like the pendant, or the quartet of customized FATE dice at the $250 pledge level, that get me. Physical bennies can be a serious threat to your bottom line, especially when they're weird things you can't order in bulk through Alibaba, and especially when you're probably looking at the average RPG kickstarter's very thin margins.

The 'write your own age' levels are going to go-- wait, nope, they're already gone. The second batch, too. That was clever.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"No gears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remain torn on my decision not to pauper myself for a month in order to get in on that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's 'L', 'W', and 'D' poisoning. I've never seen a worse case.

You've clearly never been to dread Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch then. A little short on D's, but more LL's per capita than any other stretch on Earth.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Or 'Stress-testing the new Scrabble tile assortment.'

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There was another game-book revival Kickstarter a while back, a pair of (highly detailed) booklets for an aerial dogfighting scenario. That one was ludicrously expensive to get into too... but there were only two of those books (I think) instead of eight of these.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If the URL wasn't there as a guide, I'd never have translated that title plate from lovely glyphs to English.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
As much as I enjoy kicking Palladium around, I'd like to know whose head this is really on before pointing fingers and told-you-sos. If they've been doing a lovely job playing gatekeeper then yeah, that's definitely their problem. Otherwise, lovely overseas communication or unforeseen development hurdles aren't exactly rare. At least, at this point, it's just delays.

Ten to one though, we won't see another licensed Palladium product for a long time, if ever, after this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Christ. If he's actually ended up doing writing beyond the foreword, I'm glad I skipped it.

For the rest? Yeah, absolutely. No argument.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Corporia makes me think of Camelot 3000, by way of a Saturday morning cartoon from the Eighties. I think it's the bit with Merlin the AI doing it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Tip over? Hardly. Grind you under the inexorable progression of its pitiless treads? Now you're talking.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The worst thing is that they look so much like those gross caricatures.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, they're expanding that into a full-blown book? Cool! I was a little disappointed that Iron Edda only got a few pages at the end of that other one whose name escapes me. Or something really, really similar that was in a big mecha book I pledged for. gently caress, I need sleep.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't believe for a second that Palladium would stay on as a mere middleman or consultant, thinking back to that infamous Bill Coffin rant. Tried to warn a friend away, but she took the kickstarter outline as presented. Now she's just hoping something comes out of the whole circus.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Skeevy and short-sighted. That right there probably lost them more sales in bad word-of-mouth than the cost of shipping would have been.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
E-mail, marquee, woke up from a violent sick to a retweet of a Mashable article about it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Clearly, they're melting them down for coffin nails.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"We didn't anticipate the vagaries of shipping, so we didn't make extras," was good, but that definitely took the cake.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

TG Kickstarters are the best. Are other KS categories run so unprofessionally? I have only backed games and comic books, so I don't generally know.

Video game kickstarters suffer from exactly the same kind of fanboyism and hilariously demanding backers that studio-funded games do. Between that and a small army of new devs promising the moon, famous old names pretending that they still have 'it', and nobody involved realizing just how long it's really going to take to squeeze something out, it's a regular circus.

I mean, good god. One outfit's backers went absolutely bugfuck when they didn't hire out of their eager slurry of fanboys for a PR flack, and instead hired a woman who didn't even play that kind of game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The D6 system thing made my other eyebrow go up. What was the last big game to use that, anyway?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My (narrow) perception of D6 was as an also-ran system even in its heyday, so it seems odd to me that someone would hitch their wagon to it now. Sure it's open, but it doesn't have the kind of cachet that other OGL systems do.

Makes me wonder if there really is some kind of temporal anomaly at Palladium HQ, and the staff have been playing Star Wars after hours for the last thirty years...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My god. That sounds like a Peezle Ward story!

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 11, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yep, definitely Peezle Ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ow, my nostalgia. Those blue dungeon tiles really remind me of the old, old Dungeon Geomorphs booklet... which was probably the point of choosing that particular shade of blue.

• Locked thread