Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm divided on whether or not to pledge for Against the Dark Yogi. On one hand, I love any attempt to make a non-European RPG, and the rich history of Indian myth should make for an excellent setting. But the creator hasn't shown much about how the game works mechanically, and it would be a shame to fund for an awesome setting that stays true to the spirit of the myths, but has lovely crunch. Anyone have an opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

If I'm someone whose always wanted to get into Glorantha, would this be a good starting point?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Has anyone here heard of Shadow of the Demon Lord? Because my initial parse says it's pretty awesome.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

poo poo. I totally missed that.
Edit: poo poo, de-pledged. I did not look into that enough before pledging.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Does anyone have any thoughts on The Sixth Gun RPG? I like the comic okay, but I haven't heard anything much about the RPG. Though I imagine having the Deadlands guys working on it is the best possible way it could go.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Infinity RPG Kickstarter is up.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I'm divided between the Infinity RPG Kickstarter, which seems like it could be a fun and interesting world, even though it's unproven and has sexist art, and the Dleta Green Kickstarter, which is guaranteed to be good, but I already have the original and I wouldn't want to pledge unless I could get the full core at 120k. Any thoughts on where I should go?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

There's currently a Kickstarter for Rippers Resurrected, a sequel to the Savage Worlds setting Rippers. I don't have much experience with the Savage Worlds system, but I recently got the basic system, so I'm considering getting it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Out of curiosity, what is everyone currently funding? Because I'm in for $140 for Delta Green so I can get one for me and one for a friend, and I'm playing with backing Infinity and/or Rippers, but I like to buy physical, so I don't know if I'll do either, or cave and buy PDFs.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So with Wurm 19 hours from funding, who is funding it? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

There's a Kickstarter up for a not XCOM game. Any thoughts?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Essentially it's a one-shot minis game pretending to be an RPG. They're bragging about how a good chunk of the book is secret antagonist history for the GMs-eyes-only and in my experience that means the game is extremely boring once you know the backstory. Pass. If you want a game about strange alien beings doing random things try Trail of Cthulu or Delta Green.
I guess my main first response would be that Delta Green has the assumption of failure built into it, and probably couldn't do the "heroic organization winning against the odds in an open military conflict" thing, which seems the be the main theme of this game. But the problem with the game being one and done is definitely there.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Just about a day left for Accursed: World of Morden. It's a pretty neat setting. I have some complaints about lay-out, but the setting is pretty fun and lets you play a Dracula or Frankenstein punching monsters. Also, just nine more Facebook shares and they release a .pdf with just the mechanical bits.
[/quote]
So what exactly would I get with the physical edition? Is it just setting material and I would need the rules to play as well?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So what all is different about this edition? He didn't go into much, and I've only played Powered by the Apocalypse games, but never the real thing, so his bare bones summary tells me nothing.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Holy poo poo I hate that 3D model art work. I honestly don't think I could pledge to it if that's what it will look like.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

What is it about Wick that everyone hates? I thought the original was fairly well liked overall. And I think the whole "gets stronger the more injured you are" thing is super fun and genre savy.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Modiphius has a Kickstarter for their new Conan RPG. It's using the 2d20 system they've started using for everything.
I have mixed feelings; I hate that they have hit location on a sword and sorcery game, but this could easily be fixed by some of their specialty location dice, and they definitely went out to get a ton of amazing artists.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Loincloth McMeatslab Conan belongs in the trash. :colbert:
Are you suggesting there is any other type of Conan?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Can someone fill me in on what Kult is about? As far as I can tell, it is Lovecraft meets Christian mysticism, which is a one to one description of my interests.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Just found this game called Emissary. As a big dune fan, I'm tempted.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So the new Kult game just had an update answering a bunch of questions from the comments section. The answers...could be better.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Dire posted:

Oh, hey, there's a Kickstarter thread.

I'm making an rpg with a non-goon buddy of mine. We put it up on Kickstarter a few weeks ago. Science-fantasy, fairly heavily inspired by anything by Jodorowsky. The Kickstarter is mainly so that we can illustrate our 270+ page rulebook (270 pages at the moment, it's still kinda growing as we add scenarios). The setting is original, and we're using our own system for it as well.

I didn't realise there was a Kickstarter thread on Trad. Games or I guess I would've posted this earlier. We got some people forwarded from forums.somethingawful.com but I couldn't find any mention of Emissary on the forum search. So, if you're reading this thread, thanks for the show of support, two goons who backed! :v:

Even though it seems like we're going to maybe reach our goal, any additional support would be genuinely appreciated since good artists are expensive.
Oh sweet, Dire, I've been in for a couple days now and it's good to know it's someone on SA. Goon projects are generally a lot more trustworthy. That said, I was starting to consider canceling my pledge when I realized there is almost nothing about the system and how it works. Can you fill us in on that a bit?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks man! Definitely still going to pledge at the core then. I do have concerns about the injury system if getting a flesh wound and getting run through is the same, but I'm gonna assume that was a truncated rules problem.

Also, in response to all the other posts, I suppose I was unclear. I felt more comfortable knowing I could contact him on here, and that he was working on promoting a almost finished product. I also meant the trustworthiness of goons to say that, generally, goons don't come here to promote stuff if it's a scam, so I feel more comfortable with backing a project from someone I know nothing about if I know they're a goon posting in this thread. Yeah, they can still fulfill super late, but at least they aren't just going to run with my money.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

A translation of the French RPG Polaris is up on Kickstarter. If you go to the page today, you can get a link to the beta core rules on drivethrurpg, though that offer ends today. It looks pretty interesting.

As far as I can tell, it's a post apocalyptic RPG that takes place in the ocean after the surface world is destroyed and filled with mutants. It reminds me a lot of Blue Planet, which I'm a big fan of.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

What do you guys think of Mythos, this Lovecraftian skirmish game? Kind of reminds me of Malifaux, with the middle man cut out. Then again, that's a lot for a small amount of miniatures.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I kind of get why people like it so much. Lovecraft's work is all about a dark, amoral force controlling the universe, and that force can be a stand in for so many things. Cthulhu can be the Patriarchy, drug addiction, corporate life, totalitarianism, and anything in between. Personally, I kind of like that level of both usability and accessibility, even if it often laughs in the face of the original author's intentions. But you are totally right, it is used far more often as a sugar to make a lovely product go down easier.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Savge Rifts is up.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Look, Everything, the RPG!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, yes, I just checked it out, and she's fantastic.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was impressed by the art for the second before the crazy soaked in.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I see it either being an insightful, powerful game that explores the nature of crime, greed, poverty, and the economic gap that has enough of a fantastical setting to allow a respectful distance, or the most heavy handed, shallow, "greed is bad, guys" product ever. I'm pledging, because the first would be worth the risk of the second.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So I found this game called Ankur-Kingdom of the Gods and it's basic premise is Sumer during the ancient aliens conspiracy. It seems like it could be kind of pulpy fun, if it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Edit: Yeah, I don't see any libertarianism in it at all. It seems to be about the dangers of capitalism as a system that people are forced to play at a disadvantage. Given that you are playing as the disadvantaged, I think it's clear we're supposed to sympathize with them.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Ningyou posted:

Like if people actually do play it as a subversion or critique, that could be interesting, but a lot of the KS writeup read to me less like that and more like playing the turbocapitalist zombie apocalypse pretty straight*. i c o u l d b e w r o n g t h o u g h

You... You do realize he wrote it, right?

• Locked thread