Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm running a Kickstarter campaign for a horror fiction magazine, but this should be of interest to the thread.

My good buddy Brennen Reece agreed to write a short game for the first issue. This is a draft of the cover and the pitch. The game will probably end up on my website eventually, so you don't need to back us to get it, but backers do get it first and we'll be looking for playtesters.

Rust & Flame
is a 4-5 page storytelling game that will be included in issue #1. This is extra content that adds to the total page count, it does not replace a short story.

Inspired by the fiction of Carson McCullers, Flannery O'Connor, and H. P. Lovecraft, Rust & Flame is a storytelling minigame about a small-time newspaper reporter who travels to the rural South to expose the horrible truth about a vicious unsolved crime. One player plays the role of The Reporter, whose ruthless ambition to get her story may very well be her ruin. The other players play the roles of the townspeople -- enigmatic, broken, and dangerous characters with their own secrets and ambitions.

Rust & Flame is powered by Vincent Baker's Apocalypse Engine. Experience with tabletop roleplaying games, creative writing, or improv theatre is recommended but not required.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253195324/aghast-a-journal-of-the-darkly-fantastic/posts/819361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's a Cthulhu-esque tentacle thingy Photoshopped into a photo of a cornfield. What's evocative about that?

Art is dead.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

I backed this solely on that art. It's that evocative.

Thanks man, you cool.

palecur posted:

It's no "my daughter could draw that, and she's three." But it's sure in the same neighborhood.

I'm sorry you didn't like it. :ohdear:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You're right, she should have gotten breast reduction surgery before doing the Kickstarter.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Adept Nightingale posted:

The provided settings are the big thing, and the primary thing they've been pushing throughout the Kickstarter. It's all through the cards, of course, but you can see where people could get pretty in-depth creating ready made hooks/NPCs/setting stuff. Primitive card system inside, the whole system is basically a PBP forum with a ton of adventure modules pre-installed.

I might have been interested if those unlocked settings had at least a few thousands words of fluff, but I asked them about it and they said they ''didn't really know what the word count will be'' which sounds like BS.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Depending on the genre, I'd just use some vintage photos from like, the 30s or 20s. If you do it right and justify it in the fiction, it could be a cool little book.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Oh my god, a sticker? No way!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

So the 20th Anniversary edition Wraith KS has a 35$ PDF reward level. Most expensive PDF ever or what? Print is at 110$.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I think it's just the core, not sure. The Splatbooks are extra, for example.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't get how these projects don't seem to realize that for a lot of people, part of the appeal of face-to-face RPGs is that you don't need electronics or smartphones or tablets to play them. They're all trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

You have no idea how many people I meet that start talking about the future of RPGs being ''something like an app or software.'' They don't know what, but by God it's gonna be some lovely app that will magically make games good.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Agreed 100%. It would be very good to know this. I've been looking around and I'm just lost. I found a printer that some guys who published RPGs mentioned and got an online quote and the price was frankly ridiculous even if I wanted to print 1000 books, even before thinking about shipping. Right now I'm costing things out for DTRPG because I literally have no idea how to do otherwise. How were the Burning Wheel guys able to do a hardcover for $25 including shipping and make any money at all?

If I do it through DTRPG and just give people a voucher for an at-cost copy, I don't have to worry about getting screwed on shipping price changes. In fact, I don't have to worry about shipping or fulfillment or lost packages at all - once I give the voucher, all that poo poo is on DTRPG to handle (right?). So why would I go through the trouble of doing anything else? Is there some printer out there that will do the books at higher quality and at a price far enough below DTRPG to entice me to want to deal with printing shipping labels and buying boxes and looking up international rates and re-sending lost shipments and all that poo poo?

Edit: Also, I promise that when my KS is done I will be posting what I asked for and why and where the money went. That information should be out there. Why am I going into this with absolutely no idea how much money I should be expecting to keep for myself?

You can dropship books through CreateSpace, but I'm not sure if it's cheaper than DTRPG.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You can't help but notice them is, in fairness, right. If I saw that at my LGS I'd go 'lookit that dumb tube' for sure.

''Huh, I didn't know they sold packing materials here.''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

Is this the same Paradox that does Crusader Kings, or another Paradox?

Paradox Interactive used to be owned by Paradox Entertainment, the Conan guys. They also own the Kult license.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

My buddy Clint Krause (Don't Walk in Winter Wood, Unity Underground) launched a KS for an adventure module for OSR and LotFP.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/464014331/the-stygian-garden-of-abelia-prem

I made the cover for it.

''The Stygian Garden of Abelia Prem is an eerie, location-based adventure module for low-level characters. It's directly compatible with Lamentations of the Flame Princess and more broadly compatible with a huge selection of OSR rule sets.''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Spincut posted:

Dang. I'm not really interested in OSR modules at this time, but you are an incredible artist. That cover is amazing.

Hey, thanks man.

Bad Munki posted:

The art looks great but I have to say I'm not at all a fan of the font. I had to stare at it for the longest time trying to decipher what it says, I think partly because of the font itself and also because of the amount of activity behind the lettering. And I still think it says oval office KRAUSE at the bottom. v:shobon:v

I have to take credit for this one too though, haha.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Spincut posted:

Evil Hat has put up the Preview page for Don't Turn Your Back, a deckbuilding and worker placement game based on their RPG Don't Rest Your Head.

There's a how to play video and rulebook up, and the price point seems good (though there will be $10 for shipping to the US, just to note). I'll need to dig into it a little bit more to see if it's going to be worthwhile, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you're just interested in the RPGs (which are great), you can get the core book, expansion book, and fiction anthology for pledging $10 when it goes live.

I also worked on this. Guess it's a ravenkult day.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Got my copy of Night Witches today, looks nice.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Zurui posted:

Very fine book. The cover is weird, though; seems like it's going to show fingerprints even from basic handling.

Yeah, it picks up the oils of the hand a lot. Kinda like the covers that CreateSpace does.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Pfox posted:

Haven't seen this posted here yet -

Oh Demon Lord, you're so wacky.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

A year ago I posted about my Kickstarter project for a fiction magazine. Included was a short RPG designed by Brennen Reece. I'm about to go update the KS and release issue #1, so I thought I'd drop by here and post the game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzinzsuwqwnrtxf/rustandflame.pdf?dl=0

I might end up selling it separately later, so grab it while you can.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

Neat, thanks!

Page 4-5:

You're missing some numbers there, might want to fix it :)

Thanks man, fixed it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

lol if you think the biggest pain in the rear end during layout is the ''final stages''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Everyone complaining about ''professionalism'' in this industry (or any industry with freelancers), should consider that a lot of these people are banking on exactly that. If people steal money from you (and that's what it is, theft), are you supposed to be quiet about it because of *~professionalism~*? gently caress that.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

My Patreon makes 42$, I'll have you know.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

inklesspen posted:

(bolding mine)

I regret to inform you that the new VAT rules absolutely do apply to electronic files attached to email, IF those files constitute a product. So it wouldn't apply to the art you commission for your games, but it would apply to your games themselves, if you send them through email after someone buys them. (Some services, such as Gumroad, will automatically take care of VAT for you.)

I thought it only covered automated delivery.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Looks like it has a good dollar-to-pound ratio.

Got my copy of Don't Turn Your Back today, really quick turnaround from Evil Hat, unsurprisingly.

How is it? I worked on that.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Echophonic posted:

We actually played last night. Did 3 player and we all quite liked it. I screwed myself over by not getting cards that worked in the City Slumbering, so I ended with a really thin deck, which bit me in the rear end come Wax Kingdom scoring. Scores ended up 69/60/48, with me at the back. Really easy to learn, lot of good interactivity. Reminded me a bit of Archon by Artipia with how your pool of 'workers' is updated and changed throughout the game.

I also love the setting and art for Don't Rest Your Head, so that's a major plus, too.

Thanks for that. I just got my copies so I might play it with my gf tonight.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The Heavy Schlong is my favorite.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'll probably back AW, although I already have a (signed!) print copy.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-sci-fi-adventure-gamebo

Art is on point. Good luck!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Buddy of mine has a new RPG KS that's already more than half-funded, but I worked on it and it reminds of Sunless Sea so it gets a plug.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/464014331/the-driftwood-verses

quote:

The Driftwood Verses is a gloomy, nautical fantasy campaign setting for old-school tabletop role-playing games. It's directly compatible with Lamentations of the Flame Princess and more broadly compatible with a large selection of traditional systems.

The setting was conceived as a Dark Sun-esque re-skinning of standard D&D tropes, starting with the conceit that "whales are dragons." It has since developed into something well beyond that original idea. The major inspirations include stuff like Moby Dick, Dishonored, Sunless Sea, Dune, The Scar, and the Monster Blood Tattoo series.

The book focuses on a blighted maritime region called Walfismeer. It's an impressionistic fantasy setting, a collection of symbols and metaphors come to life. Anachronisms abound. Grizzled mariners pilot haunted, tentacle-powered iron ships across a sludge-poisoned sea. Sinister roachmen quad-wield black powder pistols in hungry cities ruled by vice and bloodsport. Secretly trained navigators employ esoteric disciplines to guide vessels across a mysterious psychic barrier called The Reef. Desperate meerfolk raise sonorous hymns to Leviathan in deep-sea, whale-corpse cathedrals.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

oh god it's happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

oh no

• Locked thread