Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Ninja Warrior reruns, rugby, I think they still show car show auctions...

IndyCar and Supercross are the only other things I can immediately think of in terms of live sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thank loving god they didn’t give it to them

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

haha I have to leave my job because I don't have the freedom to show people how loving stupid I am if I stay

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/JMKTVShow/status/1493333490506547201

lmao she didn't even wait 24 hours before ripping off the mask

https://twitter.com/nflcharly/status/1493398897766518785?s=21

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Imagine making a ten part documentary about a dynasty that isn’t the 1990s Cowboys

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1493970227473915907

So this is plenty adorable but he's pretty clearly just saying "gonna", so why "finna" in the subtitles?

I’m not hearing “gonna” there at all but maybe that’s just me

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Didn't a book come out on Lou Reed 1-2 years after he died which basically showed that in private he was a jealous, miserable prick?

Yes. He also beat women and was a racist.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Feel like that last line is just a hilarious understatement

Do the game on Thursday night like normal and have the deals go live as soon as the game ends. People want the deals, people have to watch the game to know when it’s over. Everybody’s happy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

i don't think nbc would like having a game removed

I forgot that one's always different from the regular thursday schedule

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1499560625311297565?s=21

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheClemReport/status/1519020016502554625?s=20&t=cyaPdToZPOKat2PcHZ6Asg

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

harperdc posted:

They used to be with NBC back when NBCSN was trying to be a thing, and it just drew flies. So instead, once Liberty Media bought F1 and the US rights came up, they basically did a time buy on ESPN with minimal effort (using the world feed/Sky Sports UK feed) and sponsorship to make the broadcasts ad free.

And then it got stupidly popular. So this is probably like over-paying a productive player on his first post-rookie contract. They can afford it.

Honestly, it’s probably going to be a good deal for ESPN by the end of it. Ratings doubled last season and are already averaging 50% higher this season.

Miami did 2.6 million for the race and a hair under 1 million for qualifying.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The likely result IMO is you're gonna get owners in a lot of markets buying the individual channels like Leonsis is doing in DC.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That sounds like video game menu music

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m freaked out by anyone whose head and neck are the same width

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The only real issues I’ve had with ESPN on my Apple TV is when I try to use the multicast function.

It works well most of the time but every now and then it just totally shits the bed.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Blackout rules are negotiated by each league in the rights agreement.

The FCC rule (which no longer exists) was that a cable company couldn’t swoop in and pick up a game that was blacked out on an OTA channel.

I know up until Burrow, Kroger was still buying a bunch of Bengals tickets and giving them to kids or veterans to keep the games from being blacked out. They had to do that to keep a home Wild Card game from being blacked out.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 9, 2023

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

harperdc posted:

The blackouts are driven by the territory rights, which can be weird (see the A’s trying to find a place around the Bay Area that won’t upset the Giants).

The Pittsburgh Pirates are blacked out in Columbus despite no cable provider in the city offering the channel carrying the Pirates. You used to be able to watch through Extra Innings, but they blacked that out too. And any game of theirs on MLB Network is also blacked out.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ace Jameson posted:

ESPN lost the Big Ten but gained the SEC so I'm not sure what his point is in that regard?

It ultimately doesn't matter, but I think they lost more content on the Big 10 side than they gained on the SEC side. They already had almost all of the SEC.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

It seems like ESPN is putting more things on ESPN+ these days, even things that would be on their regular cable broadcast. I don't have ESPN, but I've been able to stream games on ESPN+ that said they were going to be on ESPN2. Sometimes it'll say ESPN3, which I didn't think existed, and those are also games I've been able to watch on +. I'm not sure if ESPN is gauging interest right now or what.

ESPN3 is what they used to call their online stuff before ESPN+. I think it only exists in name at this point because of pre-existing contracts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, they were pretty much the only thing on during that period so it’s hard to say they were wrong

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

She got fired because they found a reason to let someone go for cause during layoffs.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m guessing the non-CBSSN games will end up on paramount+

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha holy poo poo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think that's Dallas Braden

It is

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea, at that level, I would happily give up a couple mil to not have to deal with bullshit related to running a company any more.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It reminded me of when FOX had the US Open golf tournament. Just terribly unprepared. The broadcast team was professionals who knew nothing about horse racing and a couple horse racing people who looked scared to death to be in front of a camera. The on-track lady was clearly just some news woman delivering every bit of information like it was a local robbery or something. Almost anything you could deem as "event specific knowledge" seemed like it was being read from a prompter. The only person who seemed comfortable AND knowledgeable was Chris "Bear" Fallica.

It was atrociously bad.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1688964991859232776?s=20

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

And they sold Barstool back to Portnoy apparently.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

ahahahaha that was fast

It's even funnier because she's like right at the brink of "I did everything the white people wanted and they still treated me less than" thing, although in the most rear end backward way, but she just can't see it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Any idea why it works fine on a laptop browser though?

And thanks for the tip! I never knew about that site.

My immediate guess is the agreements with radio syndicates and/or SiriusXM prevent it from being broadcast on a mobile device because they want you listening to them if you’re in the car.

The number of people listening while not in a car is probably too small for them to care at all.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://x.com/ItsMikeHill/status/1745276164162347190?s=20

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anals of History posted:

Huh. That's... unexpected. Wonder how the presentation will change when commercial breaks go away and they don't have to follow the same rules around mature content. Also wonder if this winds up being good for AEW if they get to move into whatever channels WWE leaves.

I wouldn’t assume that the breaks are going away

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought Romo was fine yesterday before he got all weird in OT.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My personal theory is Romo was told to chill out with the predictions because he was upstaging Nantz.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My only experience with Nantz was in the media tent of the Memorial and he was a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mike_V posted:

I'm still not sure why someone like Byron Allen hasn't bought the broadcast rights to HBCU athletics and tried to roll a bunch of stuff up into a Black Culture type streamer

Byron Allen’s entire model is based around spending the absolute lowest amount of money possible to sustain a channel and live sports are pricey to broadcast.