Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ladies and Gentlemen, the best second best third best thing on tv cable Espn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS9_59n4K4

(Tony works out)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292U2w6LHdk

(Tony changes a water cooler)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVanUDlvByM

(Tony picks up lunch for everyone... from security downstairs.)

I'm not sure why I do like Tony but I do. Maybe because he's an idiot, I don't know, but I think he's great and used to listen to his Radioshow and PTI every day. His radio show is great because he gets a succession of really smart people and asks really dumb questions to them, but dumb in a good way, not an annoying way.

The most amazing thing about PTI is that it seems like the relationship between Reali and Kornheiser, and Kornhieser and Wilbon is exactly the same off camera and on camera.

I also really like that surreal one with the guy and his dad who laughs in a really awesome way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I find it funny how Rugby League and Australian Rules Football seems so fresh and unique to you guys, where in Australia it's the exact opposite. I think Baseball is rad as gently caress, but I'm not sure if I was bombarded by it 24/7 like I am by AFL I would be completely bored of it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What's the NFL streaming package like? Or is that only available overseas?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of scores, there are some hilarious betting stories in the ESPN book.

And then people having to announce the result of the game on air with stuff like "and finally Auburn beat Alabama by a single point today. (slight sigh)"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Looks like ESPN is pretty much banking on "show it, and they will watch", even if the production quality sucks poo poo. They're letting go tons of production and tech people, which means their quality is probably going to stagnate. They'll probably be fine for a while, but eventually everyone will pass them by. Either that, or everyone is going to get lean as hell and sports broadcasting will slowly start to suck as they try to keep doing the minimal possible.

They should try and be Netflix but for sports. And live.

Pay 10 a month and stream sports on your computer or TV. Obviously baseball and stuff might not bite because they've horned in on that stuff themselves but I think it could work for things like College Football and everything else.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

That's basically what WatchESPN/ESPN3 is.

But it's not entirely divorced from the cable system right? What I was getting at was allowing to people to just dump cable and only get ESPN like you get say, MLB TV or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does Buddy Ryan punch his own team's Offensive Coordinator? If not, i'm not interested.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kids these days knowing the down and distance, play clock, game clock and where on the field the first down is.

edit and don't forget "Where on the field they have to get to to kick the game winning FG"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got a question, were on Miller and Morgan actually any good? Because I watched a poo poo tonne of it in my time and they were my favorite but is that just rose tinted glasses?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I do much prefer "Can he kick the field goal" over "They're inside the line on the field from which their kicker has successfully kicked a field goal" but that just could be me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, Goon who works for FoxSports :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still will never understand how FS1 was supposed to compete in an era where ESPN was already starting to decline

It's like all the people that tried to make World Of Warcraft after it had already peaked or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem is the "good" cards are ties up on fox and they only get c tier cards on fox sports (and prelims).

Afaik they are paying a lot and so those big cards they dont want to waste on FS1 so they hype them on football and put them on fox proper.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That Jets one was the best.

Rex Ryan being a (charismatic) piece of poo poo.

Mark Sanchez not being able to throw the ball.

Top stuff, imo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty simple, certain events ie: The World Cup can't be on pay tv channels in the UK.

edit: that came across super patronising. In some countries, like say The United Kingdom and Australia for various social or political reasons, the governments protect certain sporting events from being on pay tv. In Australia this is because Pay tv is expensive and gently caress Rupert Murdoch. As a result, there is still like bidding and poo poo like that for the events, it's just it is limited to the three or four networks in Australia that could or would bid for them.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 28, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's something similar here in the US. Events of great national interest, such as presidential debates, can't be on cable and have to be on over the air television, so everyone can have access to it. The Super Bowl is considered an event of great national interest so it couldn't only be on ESPN per say. But I think that's the only sporting event that qualifies.

I remember hearing something like there is a law that prevents the superbowl being a PPV

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ahahah

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

please show some respect and refer to The 500, Daytona by its proper name.

Oh my.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Football (soccer) is like that in the years where there is a tournament during the off season. But even then, those 2 weeks where there isn't football being played are mercifully quiet. Unless someone big signs somewhere else in which case welp...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I want Jerry Jones to die and then have the Cowbys induct Jimmy Johnson into their hall of fame while the body is still warm.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't listened regularly to PTI in like 5 years, but goddamn if i'm not comforted by its presence.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress I used to love Lebatard fill ins. BAM.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

kittenmittons posted:

I don't watch PTI, but I once sat near Kornheiser at a chinese restaurant in Rehoboth Beach. Seemed like a nice guy.

My sole source of NFL news and views were his Monday Radio shows with the recap with the guy from the NFL network (Maske?) and then the Jaws prediction show on thursday.

I'm sad that I can't do that again this season. :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do you remember way back in the day loving Lebatard had some picking thing where they'd get a b list celebrity to pick games and if they got too good, or too into it they'd fire them. I distinctly remember, or half remember, Lebatard firing someone for trying to "take into account wind conditions on gameday" because that's not what they were after.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also a Game 162 one because that whole deal was amazing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I do feel sorry for people that have to rebroadcast EPL games overseas. Sometimes the random computer draw puts all the good games in like a 2 week period which is then repeated at the end of the season.

Then you have to try and get excited about the mentioned Watford v Boro game.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

The scheduling just baffles me. Why are they putting all the marquee games that early in the day? Why did they schedule Liverpool/United on a Monday night a week after an international break so neither team gives a poo poo?

In England, to get people to go in person to games you can't telecast the games at the normal kick off. As such if the game is super big they move it to early in the day so you can watch it at the pub or whatever before you go to you local club to watch a game in person.

Also fwiw europa league teams often play on sundays to give them an extra day off after a match which obviously didn't occur this week due to internationals.

As for why United played Liverpool this matchday that is the random scheduling computer. As for why it was Monday night they have been tooling around with Monday Night football but idgi either.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Some poor bastard sat through a full day of all the debate shows and live blogged them

TL/DR: They all talk about the same exact topics, "His & Hers" and "Highly Questionable" are the most tolerable because there's no screaming and a far more lighthearted tone.

Didnt get to PTI or ATH boo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Akileese posted:

Any Given Wednesday may not be a very good show, but it sometimes has good segments. The one on the Chargers stadium referendum was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7KL84H1DM

Huh that was really great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't that be hilarious if an actual important divisional game between 2 good teams with 2 good rookie qbs gets crushed by Baseball flaunting its million year old year history or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Akileese posted:

The UFC wants $450m over ten years for their next rights fee. That's not really a huge shock considering they do solid numbers on tv and (usually) gangbusters on PPV. This would be a near 300 percent increase over their current deal, which is like $115M over seven. With ESPN in decline, who the hell even takes a shot at that price? NBC maybe? UFC has their own fightpass platform that has made huge leaps in the recent years so I can't imagine them leveraging NBC Sports' online platform in any meaningful way. I just can't see them getting that kind of deal unless a wild card like Time Warner (with TBS/TNT) comes in.

What I find completely shocking is the news that they're going to give up their production to whoever gets the contract. I always felt their production was absolutely exceptional so I'd be shocked if whoever gets this will do better.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/ufc-seeking-a-four-fold-rights-fee-increase-in-new-tv-deal.html

sportsgenius86 posted:

The new ownership doesn't care about anything other than making enough money to justify the cost they spent on the promotion and it's going to ruin them. It's going to be hilarious to watch over the next few years.

Yup, UFC is potentially so hosed. A rival talent firm is agitating to get the fighters to unionise so they actually get paid properly which would drive up costs and apparently they have a tonne of debt to leverage, which explains why they want to cut back on money so they get someone else to do the production.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Speaking of La Liga, why the hell is El Clasico on at 7:15 a.m. PT this week? I need those 11:45 a.m. start times to accommodate my Saturday morning hangovers.

That is bizarre. I thought Spain played games really late at night. Isn't that what they do? Weirdly late like after their late dinner or whatever?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess there is only one marquee EPL game (City v Chelsea) so maybe they figure El Classico will outdraw the rest of the Big Team v Little team games or whatever.

Crazy Ted posted:

Not always. They tend to space their games out more during the day. You'll never guess why!

It's so they can have siestas, right? ;)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem is is that it was sold on the back of Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor. Rousey has 2 fights left on her deal, and the division looks like it's starting to catch up to the 1st Generation Stars. And Conor is just Conor. You're right, they could bank of McGregor and Rousey and be fine, but if one of them loses their lustre it could go bad if they can't get the next big name over. Remember, MMA, unlike boxing, has shown to be slightly more volatile at the top, and people only stay there if the division is trash, or if the division is young and doesn't have much depth.

And beacuse it was sold based on the forward projection of those two names, if one of them goes down and they can't bank on them like projected god knows how they're going to keep servicing the debt.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
loving lol jesus I haven't thought about Mariotti since the days when I watched ATH every day.

Speaking of, does Woody Paige have a podcast? That could be entertaining, right?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always liked it because you get a bunch of ~HOT TAKES~ sportswriters and pit them against a host who actively shits on them at any and all opportunities.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
*kicker runs to take kickoff*

BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY LETS PLAY FOOTBALL BOYS!!!!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Kornheiser verbally slapping down LeBetard at every point when he was covering for Wilbon was never not funny

BAM!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's suggested that it's Jim Rome who is replacing Goldberg.

As to why you'd do that I have no idea. Goldberg is great and pretty iconic when it comes to this sport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Patrick Spens posted:

I only started watching UFC a couple of years ago. And Goldberg just sounds like UFC to me. When he's not at the desk it just isn't the same.

Yeah same, I'm not OG or anything but I've been watching for 6 years or so and he's just been a part of the landscape. It's also crazy to think after all the incidents with Joe and talk of him retiring that he's outlasting Goldberg.