Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

Vince McMahon really liked Mike Goldberg. Mainly because he believes Goldberg can handle all the resets and plugs that traditional guys (with personality who are good at calling wrestling) struggle with. I half-jokingly believe it was because Goldberg chants used to bug him and being able to rationalize that they were chanting for Mike would be totally his jam.

Which is sadly incorrect, considering had he joined WWE he would have had to have used a different name because Vince hated Goldberg at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did they mention it was Goldberg's last show on the weekend at all during the broadcast?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

Sometimes college games don't go to commercial after a touchdown and goes right to the kickoff. I watch college football.

I'm pretty sure there's four commercial breaks between a touchdown and the other team's first down. I don't watch as much pro as I used to.

Touchdown, break, PAT, break, Kick off, break, 1st and 10?

For real though, the PAT/break/kick off/break is the worst because it's often like a touchback so you literally have like 5 seconds of quote unquote 'game' before going to commercial again.

And that's why I prefer watching College games, as dumb as it sounds. And also considering they are literally unpaid slaves it's amazing that NCAA football feels less dirty than the NFL.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good Dog posted:

Kickoffs suck and I guess I wouldn't be opposed to them eventually getting rid of them. Maybe a team can elect to start at the 25 without even requiring a touchback. Kickoffs can't go away though because onside kicks need to exist, and it gives special teams players a chance to shine and get a rad return. Seems like a decent amount of injuries occur during kickoffs too since you have everyone running full speed at one another.

Yeah I think it should probably just be "A kick that travels beyond 20 yards is a fair catch" to stop stupid poo poo happening. That also means that there is incentive to have a good kicker who can kick the ball to the 10 yard line accurately. Same for kicking the ball on fourth down as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Dana White never bothered to tell Mike Goldberg they were letting him go, and apparently Mike didn't get to make any sort of goodbye/thanks statement at the end of UFC 207.

Ugh.

Thanks for your years of service.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Apparently a 16 minute or so ride, depending on how horrific traffic is.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

the BBC guy is Darren Fletcher who's day job is usually BT Sport's second soccer announcer after Ian Darke, but he's been doing commentary and presenting on the NFL ever since the BBC got the free to air part of the contract

I had to check it was not ex United Midfielder Darren Fletcher.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 7, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The older I get the more I love soccer's wham bam thank you mam done in 2 hours with no ads except half time approach

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

As someone who wasn't watching the trial back the (or the miniseries), what did he do?

Basically, he was the lead detective and by all accounts acted okay, didn't do anything terribly hosed up. Goes on the stand, all is good. I believe he's asked "have you ever said the N word" or something to that effect. He says no.

It later comes out that he's provided background research for someone writing a book. His story is that he recorded these racist tirades and stories about fabricating evidence and dropping N bombs left and right in order to provide an accurate portrayal of a racist cop. Other people think that it's because he actually just is a horrible racist cop. The Miniseries portrays it as more likely being the former, the TV show puts it in the latter category.

Anyway, he gets charged with perjury because he clearly lied on the stand about saying the N word. He also gets recalled to the stand in the OJ trial and starts taking the fifth. Defence asks him "did you plant evidence in the OJ investigation" he pleads the fifth and it looks shady as all loving hell.

His argument is when you take the fifth you answer all questions that way you can't pick and choose. I'm not a US lawyer so I don't know the validity of that. Other people suggest he should have said "hell loving no I did not plant evidence in this case" and then return to taking the fifth on everything else.

At least, that's my rough understanding of it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

My favorite part is the sports memorabilia thing that finally did him in because it's basically a Coen Brothers movie.

Yeah and how you kinda feel sorry for him getting reemed by the NV courts so badly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

I love F1's continual belief that they're the hottest poo poo everywhere.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Haven't a bunch of football websites reported transfers with names like I.P Freely?

Nothing beats the Brazilian defender whose transfer was met with "Fucks off to Benfica"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Apparently the word going around is that ESPN is trying to re-negotiate cheaper contracts with guys, and the ones that can't or won't will be cut. So we probably haven't seen the last of the big-name layoffs.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we are left with PTI and LeBatard as the only talking head shows.

I would say maybe ATH for sentimental reasons but Papi wins out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

psyer posted:

Looks like the English League Championship (2nd division in England) and the English League Cup will be streamed on ESPN3, taking the rights away from Bein Sport.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/08/02/bein-sports-espnbamtech-championship-tv-rights-says-source/

An interesting get, the Championship is normally a very entertaining league full of a couple of struggling former premier league squads and then like 18 other teams trying to get promotion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I've always appreciated color commentators (or really any analyst) that is willing to share X's and O's insight rather than tired old cliches and generalizations. It's what makes that coach's film room portion of the College football Megacast so interesting.
Wow he's really good. :staredog:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I remember the days of them explaining stunts and which guard/tackle didn't pick up his man and what done led to the sack.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

So, IndyCar's ratings on NBCSN have gone up.

Nice to see some good news in the sports broadcast world.

My understanding is that they have put on a really good show for a while now, right? So it's good people are watching.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Guys I can't get enough of Tony Romo.

edit: I've seen ~serious football guys~ on twitter say "I'm not an X fan, I'm now a fan of whatever game Tony's calling." So I guess I'm not alone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvanTH posted:

also seen a bunch of similar scenes regarding the strategy being "punch them in the mouth"

I made a Rex Ryan joke before remembering he actually calls games now so lol at me I guess.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/imJSanch/status/914881122542088192

Man, Shannon Sharpe is all over my twitter feed and I'm wondering do I need to watch this show??

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Akileese posted:

I wonder if they're gonna make a play for Super League as well.

Do they air the NRL in the US anywhere? Or is it like on at a bad time for watching tv?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Still better than Mina Kimes singing the theme from Arthur?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I watched PTI for the first time in like, 5 years last night.

It's still good? And easy to see why it spawned so many imitators.

PTI's biggest asset is that their takes are interesting but not like "hot takes" a lot of the time. And obviously the natural chemistry. The way that Mike is always calling into Tony's podcast and talking about how he calls him on the weekend makes it clear that they're actually friends which is kinda sweet, even if they're both giant idiot gas bags.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 9, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I do miss Reali cat calling from off camera though.

*dumb joke in cold open*

Reali (off camera off mic): "Aaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooo!"

edit: Does LeBatard still BAM when he co-hosts? Or did that gag die like, 10 years ago.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked that time uhhh Golic? Ate a bunch of Donuts and owned Stugotz I guess. But that's more that I love Stugotz.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For ages international broadcast of halftime in the premier league was just some naff stats and Kasabien's im on fire for 20 minutes.

Hell I kinda miss that tbqh.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/935213939637362688

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand how Highly Questionable is so drat good.

I mean, I know because Papi, but other than that!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TaylorStory96/status/938526025427898368

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Both posts were liked by the Lebatard Show twitter acc so thats how I saw them hahah

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

The U and Pony Excess are both fantastic.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Hillsborough one is powerful but difficult to watch. The "day of the OJ Simpson chase" one is amazing editing (it's 100% original footage)

Agree on both.

I also liked the Reggie Miller v New York Knicks one but that one is more entertaining and trivial.

Four Falls of Buffalo was meant to be good, so was the the Miracle on Ice one, but that one was released at the same time as another doc on that topic I can't remember which was better or which one I watched.

I hate Christian Laettner I enjoyed but I don't have a dog in that race. Slaying the Badger was great but that's because there aren't that many good Tour docs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
To the limit: The story about Dale Earnhardt telling France it was bullshit that Richmond couldn't race was amazing and I wish it was true.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god that last Highly Questionable was like the 1-2-3 of why I love that show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

couldn't watch, what did they do?

Double headlines so they could spend the time getting mad about the Marlins trade.

Asking Dan about the Bachelor causing him to leave the set.

Papi getting someone with the fake handshake.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shhhhhhh be quiet Ginger.

edit: I literally have tears in my eyes i'm crying.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I used to love it how for some reason when the Rays were really good there'd still be like, 1 or 2 games a year that just wouldn't be broadcasted. I could never work out why.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

She has been on hq this week and it has been amazing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Premier League is like MLB in that I, an Australian can watch every game under the sun at all times where as people living in the country that the sport originates cannot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my the producers of HQ finding the weird chocolate or not chocolate japanese game show.

Also Dan getting like 5 hours sleep a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

Australia has a professional baseball league

Not only that every major state have big grassroots leagues playing all year (I played in winter because I'd rather be wet and cold than die in 40 degree weather).

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm trying to picture Australians showing widespread interets in the NFL and it's kinda tough, given how much they love cricket, soccer and Aussie Rules rugby. Heck, I'd think even basketball and baseball might have bigger footholds down there.

Well, maybe not baseball.

It's not mainstream, but the superbowl is on mainstream network TV every year and has for years. The Superbowl used to be this cult thing that they'd show on TV and after a while it just became something that's on TV. Also, there are 3 games each week on smaller station. I'm not saying everybody is into it but Australians like sport and more sport is more fun.