Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

So he's a racist without a sense of humor?

An entertainer with no idea of what's actually entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Simmons swooped into the Keepin' it 1600 podcast to shut that poo poo down tonight. His podcast network is gonna die because of Donald Trump.

He made them stop the broadcast?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

From seeing him on TV I feel like Adam Schefter would sound terrible on a podcast

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Olympics are poo poo. No other country does that tape delay bullshit or assumes that unless someone from YOUR country has a shot at a medal, you don't care. Their excuse is "it gets ratings" but they've never tried it any other way so how do they know?

Let's be honest that's because for almost every other country it would mean showing about 10 events. Also, I've watched the Olympics in China before and they do the exact same poo poo. Hope you enjoy weightlifting badminton and table tennis.

Plus NBC does end up showing a lot of events that Americans have no shot of medaling in, it's just usually shown live. For example, badminton, table tennis, and women's archery among others all got a decent amount of air time.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I watch Game of Thrones and like Andy Greenwald/Chris Ryan but I had zero interest in watching After the Thrones. Just seemed like a terrible idea for a show to air the next day when all of the analysis/interesting poo poo is posted on Reddit in 15 minutes.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

Mark Schlereth is leaving ESPN for FS1

You can tell this is important, earth-shattering news given that literally nobody in the thread mentioned it till now.

Addition by subtraction

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Oh my god this is the worst website. Ever.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Who are the people that like him, and barstool sports?

I've also yet to understand why barstool sports is a thing and why they've gained in popularity. Come to think of it? I've yet to understand why boston dominates in terms of bringing so many sports talks types to life.

I assume there are others like me who subscribe to Pardon My Take but have never been the Barstool Sports website

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

:thunk:

gently caress that uncle tom rear end bitch made dude

What the gently caress.

Credit where credit is due though at least he's not in blackface.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

I bet he was deluded/hopeful enough to think that thanks to money from investors he could turn around his bad streak, pay everyone back, and have a happy ending.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Bill Barber posted:

She's an individual citizen. She didn't make any of these statements during ESPN airtime. She's entitled to her beliefs and the ability to express them.

She (and probably all of us that work for any large company) had a social media clause in her employment contract that restricts what she can say on social media to avoid situations like this.

That said, it's outrageous that the White House Press Secretary would advocate for the firing of someone just because they criticized the President.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

The NY media market is like the opposite of the pre-Rams/Chargers LA market in that instead of marquee match-ups at every opportunity we get the Jets and the Giants

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't ever watched her. Why do we like Katie Nolan?

Because of poo poo like this:

quote:

ESPN said Wednesday it had hired Katie Nolan, the popular host of Fox Sports 1’s “Garbage Time,” but did not offer details on her exact assignment. “She will have a prominent digital presence while also making appearances across ESPN studio programming. Announcements regarding her specific assignments are forthcoming,” the network said in a statement.

quote:

Nolan said: “I could not be more excited to have a prominent digital presence while also making appearances across ESPN studio programming. When I was a little girl, I always dreamed that one day announcements regarding my specific assignments would be forthcoming.”

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Wonder if this means no more ESPNers on PMT

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

That would be pretty lovely of ESPN since they don't seem to have any beef with PFT and Big Dog. There's a difference between not wanting to be in business with Barstool and not letting any of your employees even talk to them.

ESPN’s stance seems to be ‘we don’t want to be associated with Barstool’. Employees showing up on a Barstool podcast would seem to go against that

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

When Berman goes to Chub-ee's Gentleman's Club, does that make ESPN associated with said establishment?

If Chub-ee’s interviewed Berman in front of a million people then yeah, I’d say there’s some association

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

if they replaced a 2017 jets game with Heidi would anyone even get mad

Jets yes, Giants no

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

It would 100% be a win if they do nothing because it will mean they have learned not to listen to people who argue in bad faith and have nowhere near the clout they insist they do

Trump isn’t going to say poo poo about Katie Nolan because she’s not black. It’s going to die down very quickly.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Bill Simmons hasn't written anything good in years and part of me thinks the only reason I ever read his stuff was because I didn't know any better. Drew Magary is consistently entertaining and writes the best skin-deep weekly NFL preview.

That said Grantland/The Ringer are both great and Simmons is employing/has employed some great writers. I love the Ringer NFL Show podcast, I'll listen to anything that Chris Ryan is in, and somehow listening to David Shoemaker and Bryan Curtis talk is incredibly soothing.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
EvanTH is right though? It's creepy and inappropriate but like using the correct language is important and the dude isn't an actual pedophile.

Plus focusing on the age thing seems to be missing a broader point which is that even if Chloe Kim was 18 it would still be gross to view her accomplishments through the lens of 'I want to gently caress her'

Adun fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 15, 2018

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

joshtothemaxx posted:

oh no.

oh no.

hey, fools, this is not the hill you want to die on. this is the equivalent of folks who defended roy moore saying "well, actually...." stop.

lol no one is dying on a hill

I mean I would hope everyone would have as negative of a reaction to this douche's comments if Chloe Kim was 18

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Also Pizza Hut just jumped on the sponsorship opportunity and the corporate speak from NFL HQ is tremendous:

quote:

"The NFL and pizza appeal to the same demographic, which is everyone," said Renie Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president of partnership and sponsorship management. "Fans watch our game and they do it around a pizza box. That's why it's one of the most important categories in sports sponsorship."

“With a focus on family, friends and fun, Pizza Hut has the creativity we are looking for in a partner and we look forward to working together with them to make the at-home NFL experience more exciting than ever for our fans,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in prepared remarks.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I just started listening to the LeBatard show podcast this week and does he normally poo poo on ESPN and other talent at ESPN this much?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I’ll be honest I stopped listening to PMT and just unsubscribed from them after downloading the LeBatard show for the first time. It’s just a much better and funnier sports show that’s not really about sports. And it doesn’t have so many lovely segments and problematic fans

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

Apparently Hq and the Lebatard show both been locked down by ESPN for four years

quote:

Added Weiner: “I was hoping for the lifetime contract, to be honest. I’m a little disappointed. Maybe next time.”

:perfect:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Yeah at some point Portnoy's gonna get pushed out and the meltdown will be amazing

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

They should dump Booger too and grab Kurt Warner as the sole color guy. He's been doing MNF on the radio and is really good at it. He was also the best part of that one NFL Network game that had like 12 people in the booth for some reason.

Had to pick up my in laws from the airport during the Super Bowl so was stuck listening to the radio broadcast of the game and Kurt Warner was surprisingly good. I was wondering why he didn’t get a TV job

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Negative coverage that he can use to rally the Stoolies and create content is exactly what Portnoy wants

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

so that would be Serie A and the Bundesliga for $5 a month, along with all the other assorted stuff on ESPN+. Kind of a good deal

They’re gonna do a combo package with Disney+ as well which I will almost assuredly subscribe to because I have a young child

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I think one plan was Fowler and Herbstreit while they find someone more permanent (Brees retires)

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I don’t even get it are either KC or Cincinnati well known for their gay communities?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
LeBron’s business advisor or whatever the gently caress had the worst quote though

quote:

In a recording of the video obtained by The New York Times, Nichols and Mendelsohn paused for a moment during the conversation after Nichols said she planned to wait for ESPN’s next move. Mendelsohn, who is white, then said: “I don’t know. I’m exhausted. Between Me Too and Black Lives Matter, I got nothing left.” Nichols then laughed.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Maria Taylor and/or her representatives getting this published a few weeks before her contract is up AND immediately after the Post had a hit piece about her demanding “Stephen A money” is a great move though

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I never used an English name instead of my very obviously Asian birth name even though I moved here in elementary school. I'll never forget going a pretty senior interview and being told at the end by the guy interviewing me that "my English was a lot better than he expected".

Stephen A said some stupid poo poo but I didn't really read it as anti-Asian. He probably would've said the same poo poo if it was a Spanish-speaking player that used a translator. Calling for the guy to be suspended/fired is just stupid. Let him show contrition and learn from his mistakes.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
>50% of the reason why I've been watching F1 racing and European soccer is that they're on at the perfect time for me, an east coast parent with young kids. Coverage starts when my daughter wakes me up and the game/race is over by her first nap? Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
The definition of “Must See TV”