Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
I've started playing again after being away since shortly before MotU released. Unfortunately, I'm on Khyber, so probably won't be joining you guys in-game, but I have a few questions about how the game has changed. I'm working on getting my melee Bard (Brd15/Rog3/Ftr2) back up to speed.

I understand that Fort save is more important now that easy poison and disease immunity has gone away. How important? What sort of Fort save should a melee aim for by cap? Is Fort more important than Reflex now? And is Will important now?

Is there anything Inspire Excellence doesn't stack with? I saw some forum threads saying it doesn't stack with the +1 from ToD rings, but I tested it on Lamannia, and it gave me +2 all stats, even though I have ToD rings.

What are the best Khopeshes? Where do LitIIs rank nowadays?

What's the best armor for an Evasion character? Or at least, what's the next step up from Dragontouched? I know the AC system changed; is AC now worth it if you're not going to be maximizing it? What sort of AC is reasonable for a melee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Woden posted:

Fort saves aren't all that needed still, disease/poison doesn't crop up all that often and isn't that bad IMO, if you want decent saves for epic elite you're probably looking at 70+. Will you can still ignore mostly, they've been nerfing buffs like FoM and deathward recently so it might be relevant eventually.

How much benefit do you get from a 70? And how hard is to get there? I'm at about 30 now, still at 20, not wearing any new gear. Are there some crazy high item bonuses available now? Or is 70 only practical for a Barb with a monster CON?

quote:

Khops are generally bad now as everything else got buffed and new high level nameds. So lootgen is best.

What are the best TWF weapons to be looking for, then? What's the next step up from LitII Khopeshes?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Am I right that the +3 Insightful Wisdom version of Spider-spun Caparison is the best Monk outfit? It looks pretty drat awesome. Is there even any other source of that Wis bonus for Monks?

Could I reasonably trade for one using large devil scales (I have 20) and flawless red scales (I have 8)? If so, what's a fair offer?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
They actually did a merge a long time ago. There used to be twice as many servers.

And yeah, there's talk on the forums of doing a merge, but not from anyone official. Would probably make sense, based on how things seem to be now compared to a year ago.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

MondayHotDog posted:

Also the worst thing about being free to play is they put a really low limit on how much gold you can have. If you get VIP for even just a month that limit is gone forever.

You get that just by buying points from the store, which is probably a better lasting investment than VIP for a month. Depends on how much you'll get out of that one month of VIP bonuses vs the extra TP you could get for the cost of VIP.

Kitty, it's a shame you can't remember your old account. Even if you don't mind starting over, you probably have free TP on it from when the conversion to F2P happened, and possibly quite a bit of it, so it's worth trying to dig it up if at all possible.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

How do I unlock the UI so I can drag my character portrait and target windows somewhere else? I've been looking for half an hour and I'm raging pretty hard at the unintuitive interface.

There's nothing to unlock. Those windows are always draggable. Put your mouse near the top of the windows, and it should turn plus shaped, then you can drag it. If you can't, sounds like you found a bug.

You can lock/unlock the hotbars with ctrl-=, but that doesn't affect those windows.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
The "no XP ransack" requirement is harsh. You'd have to increase your time-to-cap significantly to avoid doing runs that don't give commendations, and fit with their expectation that leveling on Epic Hard will be sufficient to get an epic heart.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
I guess I'm too used to doing things the old way, of repeating the best XP quests. Also haven't leveled since Saga rewards came out.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Starting up an all bard party with some of my buddies and I've started researching stuff and my brain is just shutting down from all the possibilities. Somewhat limited in that it'll be a fresh character(32 pt build but access to Vet1 and 2 and the Iconic classes) with no past lives and nothing much by way of really good gear socked away since I never thought I'd run a bard. Considering Bladeforged since I'll likely dip pally levels anyway. I do kind of like the idea of having a runearm, though. I'd try orb, but I've always been poo poo at managing SP beyond buffs and heals.

Bards can't be Lawful, so no Pali or Monk levels allowed. Arti is fine.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Been away about a year (after playing since F2P), but curious to check out the game again. Mostly, to check out the new Bard stuff. On Khyber, so no playing with you guys, unfortunately.

I have a Human TWF Khopesh Bard 15/Rogue 3/Fighter 2, that was my main for quite a while. I know TWF Khopeshes make zero sense now, so I'm wondering what I should use my LR+20 to turn into.

I definitely want to stick with melee Bard (don't like spellcasting that much). Leaning towards pure Bard, STR-primary, SWF Rapier (and Celestia) with 41-point Warchanter, 20-ish in Swashbuckler, and a splash of Spellsinger. Is that a sensible way to go? Are the buffs worth it? If not, going primarily Swashbuckler is quite appealing, especially since it would mean I don't have to give up Evasion.

Or is my original class split still viable, and I should just do a plain LR?

Also, am I right that Precision is clearly better than Power Attack for a Bard, nowadays?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Cool, thanks. Sounds like I'll just go for the plain LR now, switch to Dex-based, and try how my current class split goes. Only concern is if pure Bard is ultimately better for end-game (rather than for TR, which I'm not into) thanks to better buffs for Raids, but I'll still have my LR+20 to use if I find that's the case.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Rookersh posted:

So how are dungeons even handled in this game?

When you can customize your character at the intro and choose their stats, and can choose whether or not to multiclass, are there any instances of people just not being good enough to go on a "raid"? A "Well we'd like to have you, but you have a level 20 Fighter, why didn't you take that one level of Cleric you idiot." mentality to it? I know enough about DnD to make an alright build, but probably nothing incredible. Was curious how ok the community is with stuff like that,

The game is too easy for people to be this picky about your build. It's not really a part of the culture, as far as I've seen.

That said, for your first life on your first character, it's best to stick with a pure build. They're all at least decent. Multiclassing can produce really bad characters if you don't know what you're doing (knowledge of tabletop DnD is not much help here). But even then, it's likely few will even notice or care; it's more that you might find it less fun to play gimpy characters.

The main thing you might catch crap for is not having enough HP. This is a highly visible mistake. So don't skimp on Constitution (less than 14 is rarely justified).

eth0.n fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 4, 2015

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

DemonMage posted:

Also the IC nerf is 5-10% less crit. It's not that big of a deal. And it fixes a long standing stacking issue that means they can better control DPS growth with weapons. The real world day-to-day effects are not going to be that great except maybe on purple named guys. Which is more an issue with the health amounts of red/purple named creatures that needs to be fixed in general. If melee are suddenly underperforming they can easily offset that with melee power scaling. And that's even assuming this goes live.

The percentage isn't particularly relevant, but rather the distribution of the impact that matters. It's a bad nerf because its effects are arbitrary and indiscriminate. It doesn't target anything in particular that's overpowered, but rather a bunch of items basically randomly.

Class features, too. For example, Swashbuckler currently can use about a dozen weapon types at nearly equivalent effectiveness. Now, just two (Rapier, and Light Pick). Everything else is worthless in comparison. Was it really so broken that a Swashbuckler could get good use out of a light mace? Also, sucks for anyone that crafted a Thunderforged anything other than Rapier or Light Pick.

This is the kind thing that makes a nerf feel like a "gently caress you"; when the devs render peoples stuff worthless when there wasn't any reason to target them, and it's just a side effect of something else.

If something must be done, it would be much better to simply delete the feat (and Keen) entirely. It's better to nerf evenly, than arbitrarily.

quote:

The bigger problem is that they're using 3.5 D&D base weapon stats, which means that 80% of the weapon types in the game are useless without modifying them so heavily they don't resemble the base item type anyways.

If they addressed this at the same time, then the nerf could probably be made OK. But that's just a fantasy at this point.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Diogines posted:

So I have not played in a while but am going to play again. I have some money and stuff and know the game modestly well but have not seriously played in years so optimal builds and such are foreign to me.

I want to run through random quests and explore them with no desire to min-max or get the best loots and so on. Does this mean I need search and trap skills?

Does this basically mean I have to play a rogue? I do not want to play a dual wielder or an archer, I'd like to play a sword+board or a two hander. Could something with sufficiently good saves which is not a rogue make dealing with traps manageable, maybe a paladin or a monk?

I don't plan to use my stored supplies and gold but it sound like gold for healing and such are easy to come by now a days anyway?

If you're not doing elite, traps pretty much just tickle. Walk through, drink pots.

If you do want to actually disable them, perhaps Swashbuckler Bard with Rogue splash?

Great for soloing, plenty of skill point to keep Rogue skills up even with only a couple Rogue levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Whistling Death posted:

Downloaded and played for a few last night as time permitted. Dunno if I will stick to it. The camera had me quickly getting dizzy.

I would not have thought DDO's camera differed from any other 3D MMO. I'm curious what you feel the issue is?

You know mouse-look is optional, right? I can't imagine playing without it, but I know some do.

• Locked thread