Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I switched my wizard into a chain missile build and kind of want to TR her into a heavier multiclass. I'm not sure I could resist being WF though.

Have any of you tried a shuriken build? Like this one: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/431022-Shurikens-pew-pew! (not sure if 20 monk is better or not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I'm considering it, but also expect them to have sales on expansions and quest packs, and I didn't get the latest expansion yet, so... indecisions. Hmm.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
YYessssss, sales. Thanks for posting!

Also, yeah fricking barrels. I still have compulsions about smashing every single one of them and it takes someone yelling at me to not go out of my way to climb something to smash a crate. There should be a list somewhere of quests where smashing is worth it (low number of barrels, or all in one room and easy to get) and when it's not (270 barrels+). I'd probably still waste all my time smashing.

Worst part about playing an artificer is being unable to easily smash barrels (and doors until you get tactical detonation), if you don't want to switch rune arms constantly.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
That sounds interesting, especially the anniversary stuff! I wouldn't read too much into no mention of expansion - I can't imagine them not doing an expansion for that. I like Three barrel cove a lot too.

Ok so random loot gen is severely broken - this is a bug right? Have they announced a fix date maybe? Or are some loot gen mods gone for good? Did Feather of Sun get annoyed with the hate on the forums for him and break it on purpose? :tinfoil:

edit: Vv Thanks! Haven't checked there yet. Good to know!

Noricae fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 4, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Looks like augment bags and shared bank will be on sale too just for this weekend (extra sales every weekend it seems: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/432065-DDO-Store-Winter-Deals!-Great-Deals-Every-weekend-in-December ). Just what I needed actually; thanks Turbine ;)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah definitely grab a healing hireling initially - although you can potion your way around until level 8-10 easily. And don't worry, even non healing builds can gain a fairly powerful self heal at level 20+ and epic destinies.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I have a question about enhancement resets. Are they currently bugged and decaying much slower than intended? Mine decayed, in two weeks (since I capped on this TR), from 204k to 198k in one tree (the tree has 33 AP spent).(Yeah I messed with it too much without noticing - maybe 7 or 8 resets within 3 days tops?) I haven't noticed the other trees go down appreciably. What are the current rules for enhancement reset cost decays? The above seems not the norm based on other characters I reset a few times a few months back.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
^^ I can see that happening. It's very strange though - it dropped by 2k on week 1, 2k on week 2, and 500 every day since the "3 day decay" update. Currently at 195k out of originally 204k and three weeks later. I might get this down to reasonable levels by 2015! ;)

Woden posted:

I *think* the issue is with leveling as I have heard of other people doing a lot of respecs at cap having decay work out fine, so respec too much at low levels and then zoom to cap and you're screwed.
Ick, yeah this was right after I respec'd once, took level 18, respec'd a second time, leveled to cap, took 19+20, respec'd and it was definitely no more than 7 or 8 resets on that tree total tops and it was 200k+ (oops?). The weird thing is now that I'm watching it it's going down daily, by about 500 plat per day. Not every 3 days (or week).

I see many new bugs that weren't there a year ago too - UMD not tallying correctly at all (umd or cha items' bonus to umd keeps going up a couple of times if you quickly equip the items, a weapon that you need umd to wear, and then back to other gear). I have a phantom 1% dodge passive from Grandmaster sticking around, even into quests, if I pass by anyone in Grandmaster. You can get multiple AA arrow imbues to stack on your bow if you switch weapons around quickly, and the like. I hope they're not kidding about 2014 being a year of finishing unfinished systems and bugs...

My 13rog/6monk/1druid Dreadnaught staff build is lots of fun and I recommend it for everyone (blitz is definitely ridiculous, as is the sun soul set's mountain stance +25% incoming damage bubble). Don't be like me and push half the monk levels until much later, or you will be boned by not being able to take grandmaster of forms (unless I drop it into level 27?).

And commendations of valor... wow! None of you are taking epic TR seriously, right? At least until they lower the number or increase drop rates. I'd really like incentive to run optionals and explorers/slayers too.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 17, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I ran off to grab both standard editions after reading this page; thanks! One question, since I haven't played in a while - is there any way to tell which character has used a greater/lesser tome of learning? I don't want to try using one in case it vanishes, but I couldn't see it on my feats or similar.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Crap! I just realized that the UI won't display a Greater normal tome if you're in your epic levels, so none of my characters had the little book I vaguely remembered. Thanks :)

Has Warlock been on sale in the past 3-6 months at all? Debating grabbing it or possibly waiting for a sale ;)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Wow, that post answers most of my questions that I had about the random loot gen revamp. No news about Cannith crafting revamp right?

I'd also love a downconvert of some sort to normal greensteel ingredients, in case you'd want to make twink gear.

(Also yesssss, grabbed Warlock and ToEE... now just a few more recent adventure packs need to go on sale before I have time to play in a couple of weeks.)

The Archmage updates sound fantastic!

Noricae fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 5, 2015

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Like the greensteel handwraps that have to wait for a handwrap revamp before being added. And they're working on it ;) Suuure they are.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 5, 2015

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
What's ... going on... with loot:

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I forgot I had this ages ago and never opened it: I have a Raider's Reward box that gives me a choice between any of the Caught in the Web weapons. Are any of them still useful? Other than Sireth, which I think still might be? Unfortunately this is on my artificer, who plans on TRing a bunch more but sticking to artificer or similar builds.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 22, 2015

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

They're all solid 23-26, then Legendary Greensteel takes over. Sireth, Cleaver|Breach, Needle and Pinion stand out. Not sure how Legendary Greensteel Compares to Needle and Pinion in particular actually, ranged weapons can be weird sometimes.
Ah cool, yeah I was wondering if the ranged weapons were still good. Great! I can't believe they gave these out. My level 14ish rogue alt still has two boxes on her somehow and the eventual plan was stick build, but :(

I see that they've added some other named items with freedom of movement on it - that's mostly what I'd want Sireth for on an arti (have never had luck with the two raid items dropping for me). It's been a while since I've played ;)

So the first thing I do is jump into ToEE normal hard with a level 7 newly created warlock with default gear (duo with the same played by a friend). Hahaha. We got surprisingly far (end fight) however. And were mostly geared with sort of ok gear by the end from the new loot (which is hilarious - +3 greatclub with sonic and assassinate on it etc). Part 1 was a pretty fun dungeon, but the loot drop rates blow for the named items and crafting ingredients, correct?

Noricae fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 22, 2015

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Game_Whino posted:

I farmed it for somewhere around 3 and a half months, once per day before it dropped.

Aw, I'm not even going to raise my hopes for an orb now. I read that sometime last January drops were raised for some things (bauble, sands items, royal guard mask etc). Any of you farm for these and see an increase in drops? Trying to motivate myself for Restless Isles farming, which is kind of tedious.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

Bauble I'm not sure about. I've not seen anyone farm one in forever, most people either don't care or already have one I think. It's a nice item, we could use another one in Epic levels. Even if they were mutually exclusive, just so people didn't have to get that pack or back farm for it. Or just put a new Epic Ring of Spell Storing in for epic levels =-p
Any sort of similar spell point clicky is my #1 "Ok I will buy this adventure pack/expansion asap" reason. I have actually gotten a bauble once.. on my rogue who wasn't farming for it. I totally still want a teleport mask and raise dead clicky - the latter more so as I'm often duoing and it'd be nice when TRing and misjudging how prepared we are on elite. How much has UMD boosting changed (say before level 15/16 or so especially)? I guess I need to check out a lot of the newer loot.

Also this reminded me that I need to go farm those MotU Seal rings now that they might actually drop!

Woo, adventure packs. Glad I held off on the three I'm behind on.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Still no way to level off epic destinies for reduced xp is there? :( There's probably profit potential in there for Turbine, so they should probably add this (and boosters in the store ;)).

DemonMage posted:

You could probably buy or farm the stuff to make a Raise Dead tier 2 greensteel clicky faster/less annoying than the Restless Isles ring. Or just UMD scrolls.
Yeah you're right. It was one of those farming things from 6+ yrs ago. And I forgot that it requires good alignment! So, entirely useless to most of my characters.

Woden posted:

No idea on the formula for insightful skills nor the new UMD formula but you can probably get something nice here to add a point or three over persuasion or bunny hat, that's a lot of item swaps for scrolling though. :/
This is the main annoyance - inventory space, or half the time running around with +cha/umd items after I forget to switch back. Also where the hell are my scroll and spell ingredient bags, Turbine? :/

I'd love an acrobat buff, maybe tied to a Harper-like enhancement tree that adds to staff builds (I just redid my art's enhancements and wow, that's a pretty overpowered enhancement tree).

I didn't realize UMD tomes /existed/! Because they don't drop in game (do they?) and I never scrolled down in the shop. Aw man, I thought I was done buying stuff from the store for now. *shakes fist at this thread*

I like leveling TRs from level 1-7 or so and really like running the necro chains (or at least necro3). (Re: Iconic vs normal TRs). I wish Fens and the Carnival were revamped though. (Dislike Gianthold, and Sands is /ok/, so level 12-15 is yawn). Why do you guys like Iconic TRs way more?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

(Dreadnaught as a wizard hooray).
This was exactly the point where I "took a break" after MotU. I think all I was using from Dreadnaught was extra action boosts. Xp pots and waiting on a lot of saga turnins sounds like a good idea.

DemonMage posted:

[*]You get two past lives (iconic + regular) every run, there's 12 iconic past lives total (3x each of the 4), there's 14 classes, so you can do it with very little overlap
Wait, wait, what!? I thought you only got an iconic life?! You get regular lives too? (On top of epic ones if you epic TR? or wait, no, since you can't tr out of iconics until 30?). I think this was the info that I was missing.

(I kind of like half the newbie sewer crawls, or maybe a quarter of them, but more so stuff like the Pit and Spies in the House. I like the older more puzzle oriented, multiple option type quests more as well. The necro quest with the rats? Yeah I'm one of the five people that like it, haha (well if I'm blade barrier enabled). The new FR stuff I've done (half of Shadowfell and no newer content than ToEE update wise however) is /ok/ but I was getting big LOTRO vibes from it ("nice scenery and decent writing but low puzzle or multiple ways to complete things.")

I'm a bit annoyed that I'm on Sarlona and not Argo but I have too many characters to easily move :(

Noricae fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 25, 2015

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

is the engine wasn't designed for it.
Yes, definitely. If I'm forced to do a quest with jumping elements (Shroud flagging) it's terrible, but if it's an optional with rewards or big xp, I enjoy it even if it's wonky (Spies in the House). Then again I have played MMOs that had much, much worse client to server synching issues and the like, so my tolerance is high for this.

I do like much of the new content, especially for writing and voice acting for sure. Notable exception is Ensign Crusher narrating and reading from his diary :D

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh yeah definitely start again. They've even changed the level 1 newbie island several times and it's /loads/ more fun than it was 10 years ago. A lot of the better content is paid after level 6/7 however, so if you're free keep that in mind (but there is a massive triple point sale going on and a sale on all adventure packs too, imo great time).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I didn't know that about tomes either. I've been waving my mouse over my character sheet hoping to identify which were skill tomes etc, oops.

I just took Ruin on my arti (at 27) and it's pretty great. I guess I'm giving up on overwhelming critical though :( Update 29 had a ton of great caster feat buffs; I'm not sure what a twf ranger/barb would pick for epic feats at 27 and onwards? (That's the class I'm playing with and he can't decide since nothing looks too great). None of the Masters would benefit a twf fighter would they? (I had an urge to tell him Ruin for shits and giggles ;)).

Thanks for the cleric post; I do have a 16 cleric that I should reincarnate sometime, or maybe LR - she's a clonk and well monks :/ :/

What's the best way to get commendations? Do commendations at higher level quests (28+) scale up? 15 on normal and 25 on hard for Gianthold is going to be like 200 quests to get a Epic/Iconic TR heart. Ugh.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 2, 2016

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

And you get 2 heart seeds (equivalent of 200 commendations) every quest you complete (that is eligible for CoVs normally, i.e. first run of the day) at cap. So at worst you have to run 20 capped quests if you have 0 CoVs from leveling up.

Skill tomes don't show up in there, they just show up on your skill listings themselves as tome bonuses, which does in theory require you to be leveled up enough like the old stat tome bonuses did.
Ahh! Thanks a lot for this info. So I shouldn't be worrying about commendations yet; phew. Iconic TR suddenly looks significantly more fun.

Thanks for the melee feat suggestions - some of those we hadn't even looked at. Limbo looked fun and probably what I'd take if it were my character.

I heard bards got sonic buffed? Or rather, I got knocked on my rear end from bard npcs so they must have gotten buffed. Any of you play a bard recently? Every now and then I want to level my bard, and then find it pretty tedious leveling and much weaker than alternatives, so if they've gotten buffed that would be a first (?).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Gnomes!? That soon? Nice to see the Cannith crafting upgrades; that's what I was majorly waiting for (assuming half the recipes don't get nerfed). I hope there are fixes to the random loot gen pass (esp weapons) as well. I'd love to see cannith challenges upgraded to level 30 as well. I went and ran some challenges for a cloak of flame* and I had forgotten how much fun they were, at least the kobold ones. I wish I had more of a reason to run them more often.

*For duoing ToD, hopefully with tanking of the shadow fiend things not kiting. My current goal's been trying to see how many raids I can duo (and eventually iconic TR a bunch), being relatively undergeared and running with a twf ranger in pajamas (this is such a terrible idea these days). Fall of Truth seems very doable, with some more practice. Any of you shortmanned Caught in the Web? (Also, gently caress Abbot and its constant bugs :argh:)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

Doing them on elite? At level or over level?

2 manned CitW a few times on normal and don't remember it being all that bad, took a long time though so I'd recommend getting DW pots in Eveningstar if you don't have someone who can cast it.
The non epics on elite, yeah, but just normal at first for most of the epics (though Chronoscope is super easy, even on EH so will try EE next). The dw pot suggestion is a great idea; we have visors but it sucks when those run out or you miscast it on the other person.

We only did ToD once and the shadows wiped us and... then we realized that we had the wrong fireshield version on from one of the Gianthold items (oops, talk about a nooby mistake). If I tanked both phase 1 and 2 bosses fine (as my artificer in medium armor, in Unyielding Sentinel (I love this destiny so much), around 103 ac and 60ish prr), would Horoth be doable? I'm sure I'll end up tanking if possible, but good to know that the ranger needs to be sent running around again ;)

Re: Iconics, oh geez. I finally made a Morninglord cleric for some challenges, using the default path and build and promptly deleted her after running around for a half hour. They must do this intentionally to make players of all build-making skills feel better about the builds they make, right?!

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

Tried to tank Horoth back at the level 28 cap as a BF monk archer, can't remember my defences but they weren't great. 120 AC and probably 30-120 PRR back with the old PRR where you needed 100 for a 33% reduction in damage or whatever it was. I was mashing recon as fast as I could and was just barely staying alive, ended up dying after I ran out of SP pots(usually never need them so only had 3 on me).

So yeah Horoth could be pretty rough. Another trick you probably already know is to twist in no fail will saves, lets you cast haste easier and opens up a gear slot.

Uhoh. I still haven't gotten around to trying it, but great info about will saves, especially since I've been focusing on reflex saves primarily and dumping cha out of my (half random loot nowadays) gear.

Question about Epic TRs: do they affect raid timers / reset raid completions? I assume no since the wiki says they're like LRs, but it would suck to be wrong. Decided to do a few of these before a chain of Iconics later this year (or at least waiting until U30 and crafting changes).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

Also the no fail will save is nice in Tower because you don't need to wear Boots of Anchoring then, the save for Banishment on Elite is 64 or maybe even lower. So if you can't fail on a 1, and you've got a 64+ save then you don't ever have to worry about Banishment. Which was sort of a neat gimmick but I'm glad they didn't extend it to any other raids.

Gah. I was wondering what the save on this was, so I farmed the boots anyways just in case (and demons blood was a /pain/ to get). I should have asked here first.

Yeah, I was basically asking about raid timers and ETRs because of shroud 20th. It would be nice to be able to Epic TR and have that keep ticking, but it sounds like it doesn't (but flags etc stay) (?).

25ish to 30 felt MUCH faster for me than 20-25 ever did. The latter quests, and stuff like Gianthold (<3 Crucible) have loads more xp (100-110k+ for some, without any pots even) than the low 20s quests did early on. Those lower quests still have the same xp, and the xp needed for 21, 22 etc is higher now, so I'm not sure how tedious leveling is nowadays in the low 20s. High 20s feels significantly better.

Was there (back around Menace of the Underdark) overleveling in epic quests back then and was it removed sometime since? That is, I vaguely remember being a level or two over a quest and getting much less xp because epic quests had the same overleveling penalties as normal quests. I'm not imagining that right? I remember grinding a few quests in the low 20s a bunch because I'd outleveled others. Maybe I'm hallucinating it.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Perpetual Notion posted:

For the lower levels stick with doing the EXP heavy quests (spies in the house, wizking, VoN 3 and especially 5 without doing 6 if you can get it) theres a couple others besides the ones I posted but just doing daily EHard/ENorm runs of those will get you through those first 5 really fast.

VoN5 is that high in xp? I finally got this down with two people just this week (those jets... ugh) but previously avoided it. Yeah, definitely recommend Wizking as well. I don't think I ever want to see Rusted blades again. *Definitely* felt the grind early on when Epic levels came out and somehow I accidentally had permanent repetition penalties on a lot of older quests, so had few options at certain levels, and especially when Wizking stopped giving epic xp. Glad to see this change.

DemonMage posted:

You keep your completions from ETRing, just not any other form of TR.
Ok, AND the raid timers reset? Hmmm, depending on how fast you could epic TR this would be a good timer bypass ;)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I've been having /loads/ of fun running in Unyielding Sentinel to get hp (1400ish)/saves (60sish)/+fort/etc on my artificer (which was way undergeared and now is semi decently geared), so that's an option on your bard until you TR into other stuff, esp if you don't care about destiny XP or need epic TRs for that sphere. I can survive EE, but damage is sloooow and it's boring as hell, so I just decided that solo EE builds were a ridiculous idea time to reward ratio wise.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 15, 2016

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

ded posted:

All those times I tried to get an eardweller and never got one and now they give it away. :smith:

I just got one a few weeks ago after starting to farm it again; it drops very frequently now I think on elite. Took me two runs at least. It also sucks now :(

Might get a tovens, but I dont want to go lightning, I think... or quiver. I wish we could store BtC stuff on other characters. Time to see if the BtA quiver thing works :) Thanks.

Is that a normal Hellfire Crossbow or epic? Normal drops so much.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 22, 2016

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I hope they did mess up! ;)

When is it supposed to start? 28th?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Wow. Ok thanks for the heads up! I'm at the tail end of a big move and have been out of touch with most things lately.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Maybe they will give everyone another token! ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I know that the events (Cove etc) are gone tomorrow but how long is the event challenge up for? And traders? I wish they'd stay forever too.

• Locked thread