Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mike From Nowhere posted:

One of my favorite forgotten Elseworlds is this one.

The premise is a gem: what if the Waynes found Kal-El's rocketship, and the tragedy of their death still happened?

J.M. DeMatteis is a long-time favorite of mine - there are not that many writers who can shift so effortlessly from comedy to melodrama. This is DeMatties at his most melodramatic, aided by classical styled art from Eduardo Baretto.

Sadly, this is not his best work - it's a bit rushed as it heads into the conclusion - but it is still a favorite Elseworlds of mine, because it illuminates a trait of Superman's character that we can't really see in the main DC Universe. Everyone always asks why Superman is such a goody-goody and why can't he be more like Batman, with Batman breaking people's legs and puncturing their lungs?

Speeding Bullets shows us why:

Because Superman's power mixed with Batman's attitude crosses the line from "badass" to "loving terrifying."

Batman, despite being a rich old money 1%er who fights crime in a million dollar car and gets his wounds patched up by his combat-trained butler, is still allowed to beat people up, but someone with Superman's power can't get away with that without scaring everyone around him, and not in the gently caress-yeah-Batman's-here sense, but in the "I am really uncomfortable reading this" sense. Superman can't be an off-the-shelf badass - in order to work, he has to actively strive to be above all that, to fight with one hand tied behind his back. Superman is about the virtue of restraint - all about "shoulda," not "coulda."

It'll surprise no one that this is one of those "oh, he turns out becoming Superman after all" stories, but J. M. DeMatteis isn't doing this out of laziness. Rather, it's the thesis of the comic: that in order to be considered a hero, Superman can't work the way Batman does. And maybe writers should stop trying to make that happen. Let Superman be his own hero instead of a pale imitation of someone else's.

Speeding Bullets definitely had its moments. My favorite being the alley scene. Instead of sitting there in a catatonic state, Kal-Bruce responds to his parents' deaths by crying. Joe Chill yells at him to stop and shoots him, saying, "I hate it when kids cry!" The bullets deflect off of Kal-Bruce, whose eyes go red in anger and says, "And I... HATE... YOU!" before frying Chill's face off. Kal-Bruce represses this memory for years.

One of the most clever bits in there is why he goes for the bat-based identity. He doesn't realize that he's an alien, so between his red eyes and ability to fly, he has this insane kinship with the bats in the cave, like he's one of them.

Also, one of the best parts in there is when a bad guy confronts him and warns him about this big grenade he has. Batman silently motions for him to throw it and he does. Batman catches it, holds his hands tightly over the grenade and puffs of smoke explode between his fingers. Then he just glares at the criminal, who is promptly making GBS threads himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

With the What If: AvX miniseries, I started to notice how the whole point of any What If relating to a major event is that if it didn't go completely right, the world explodes. So here's every event-based story and what happens:

- Kree-Skrull War: Other than killing off Rick Jones, everything ends up really well for everyone involved and is just a better story.

- Evolutionary War: Everyone evolves to the point that humanity can wipe out the Celestials with just a thought. Wolverine leads the super-evolved mutants into space where they defeat Eternity and Death and blah blah the universe restarts. It's dumb.

- Armor Wars: Been a while since I've read it, but I'm pretty sure everything turned out okay outside of nobody trusting Iron Man anymore. So no difference.

- Inferno: Demons destroy the world and while they're defeated at the end, humanity's numbers are desperately low.

- Atlantis Attacks: Everything is hosed. The world is made up of mutated snake people, everyone's dead except Silver Surfer and Quasar (who is stuck in an eternal wrestling match with Set) and Set's children have been escaping into alternate realities to spread their evil. I hope the Exiles took care of that.

- Infinity Gauntlet: Three stories came from this. One about Silver Surfer getting the Gauntlet and one about Impossible Man getting it. Both definitely qualify as happy endings, including possibly the happiest ending Surfer can get for the first one. Then there's one about the New Fantastic Four taking on Thanos, which also has a happy ending and even fully separates Hulk from Banner.

- Acts of Vengeance: Spider-Man keeps the Cosmic Powers and while the power goes to his head and he loses all of his powers in the end, the world is still a far better place at the loss of one random dude.

- Galactic Storm: Earth is blown up in the first couple pages. After that, Avengers die every other page for two issues until there's only a handful left when they win.

- Age of Apocalypse: We've gotten three AoA stories. One is about Legion killing Magneto, which brings a present that in the end is still good mutants vs. evil mutants, though a ton of X-Men are killed. One shows that if AoA continued, Magneto would have led the siege against Galactus, which ended in plenty of casualties, but ultimately is a win, since it brought the world together. Then there's the one where Legion accidentally killed Xavier AND Magneto, which would have turned the world to absolute poo poo while causing a chain reaction where other alternate worlds are given the same Xavier/Magneto death incident, causing history to repeat again and again.

- Clone Saga: One story where Ben is forced to kill Peter, which is meant to do nothing more than give us hints at how the Saga might end. Ben simply went off to find his own life, so the whole thing was kind of in the middle. The other story was the origin of Spider-Girl and that got its own continuity, so that's a win.

- Secret Wars: The heroes and villains are stuck on the Beyonder's planet for decades. When their children end up finding a way to Earth, they discover a Days of Future Past reality and figure it's up to them to save the world. There's also a story about Dr. Doom keeping his Beyonder powers, which ends with a lot of superheroes being either killed or taken out of commission, as well as alien civilizations being wiped out, but Earth is well taken care of.

- Avengers Disassembled: If Jessica Jones was on the Avengers at the time, everything would have been unicorns and rainbows because she would have nipped that problem in the bud and married Captain America because of it. Then there's the other issue where it turns out Cap was the mastermind of Disassembled (which is implied that this is how it happened in regular continuity, only he magically forgot about it). This one gives us an ending where 90% of the hero community is wiped out.

- Planet Hulk: In one story, Caiera survives instead of Hulk, comes to Earth, slaughters the Illuminati and enslaves Earth. In the other story, Hulk lands on the correct planet and finally finds peace.

- Annihilation: It's heroic as gently caress, but endless lives are lost across the cosmos, Earth and even the moon itself is blown up.

- Civil War: Either Henry Gyrich runs the country in a satire on Bush's presidency with the dial pushed to 11 after most heroes are wiped out or Iron Man and Captain America talk out their problems and bring a Heroic Age.

- House of M: In a ripoff of Elseworlds: Act of God, Scarlet Witch strips the world of superpowers. In the end, it's kind of a wash. Namor doesn't seem the least bit concerned by the fact that all of his subjects must have drowned. There are also two dumb stories about Gwen Stacy returning to regular reality instead of Hawkeye. One ends with the world falling apart because of her presence (even though that was never the case for Hawkeye) while the other had Peter retain his Green Goblin mentality and he ended up dying.

- Fallen Son: Iron Man dies instead of Cap. The story really tries to push it as humanity being screwed with the coming of the Skrulls, but the logic dictates that we'd have a better chance to win the Secret Invasion.

- Secret Invasion: Two stories that both have dark endings. One shows that if the Skrulls had won, the heroes would have eventually teamed up with Norman Osborn to unleash a virus that would have killed not only all the Skrulls, but the humans who had biologically turned themselves into Skrulls. For instance, Aunt May and countless others. The other story is about how the Skrulls stayed secretive through the whole thing and although Osborn uncovers the conspiracy, it turns out he's a Skrull as well.

- World War Hulk: One story is super metal and brings us NYC being blown to smithereens, the Skrull Invasion having zero problems taking over and Hulk convincing Galactus to devour Earth. The other story is about Thor fighting Hulk instead of Sentry and cooler heads prevail.

- Siege: Void eats the world.

- AvX: Phoenix-Magneto kills a bunch of dudes, Wolverine kills him and then the explosion wipes out all life on Earth except for Wolverine and for some reason Jean Grey.

So I'd say that gives us a win-loss record of 11-16-7. Not as bad as I thought.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One Elseworlds that always bugged me was JLA: Destiny by John Arcudi. It's an okay miniseries with an awesome hook: Jor-El and Thomas Wayne survived instead of their sons. That on its own could sell a story.

Only they didn't use that to sell it. They just released the comic and let the readers figure it out. I reviewed it a while back and I searched for other reviews online. Nobody got past the second issue and for good reason. We didn't even find out what the story's really about until the third issue out of four! Instead we just got a bunch of uninteresting crap featuring either forgotten Golden Age heroes, made up heroes or other "___ instead of ____" heroes such as Guy Gardner being Green Lantern, a black kid being Captain Thunder, etc.

In this world, Thomas Wayne got his hand shot off by Joe Chill, which ended his medical career. He used all of his money to fund the Justice League of Gotham in honor of his dead wife and son. Meanwhile, Krypton blew up while Jor-El was testing the rocket and he had to go to Earth. Before his powers 100% manifested, he saved Luthor from a fire and burned his own face. They made an agreement that Jor-El would take Luthor's identity and Luthor would use the rocket to seek other worlds.

A lot of it was pretty dumb, but it had some cool moments. Thomas and Jor-El got to interact twice and each time they were the most interesting scenes. The villain behind everything was Mongul, who became like Lex Luthor, learning that it's better to conquer through trickery to make your subjects love you instead of fear you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

My personal favorite little known Elseworlds would be the Batman of Arkham, where a turn of the century Bruce Wayne returns to Gotham after studying under Freud to run Arkham Asylum and Batman on the side. The reason I like it so much is that it spends a lot of time with Bruce treating the patients of Arkham and actually making progress in helping people like Killer Croc. Because in Elseworlds, you're allowed to give the mentally ill assistance that sticks.

I loved that one. Even take away the "turn of the century" crap and you have a great concept in "What if Batman's parents were killed by a lunatic instead of a common criminal?"

:unsmith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Does anyone know some elseworlds or what ifs where things turn out really well?

- What If the World Knew Daredevil was Blind?
- What If the Avengers Fought Evil in the 1950's? (the origin of Agents of Atlas)
- What If Jane Foster Had Found the Hammer of Thor?
- What If Rick Jones Had Become the Hulk?
- What If the Avengers Fought the Kree-Skrull War Without Rick Jones?
- What If the Hulk Had Become a Barbarian?
- What If Daredevil Became an Agent of SHIELD?
- What If Spider-Man's Clone Lived?
- What If Dazzler Became the Herald of Galactus? (ignoring that Earth is inexplicably destroyed in the future)
- What If Iron Man was Trapped in the Time of King Arthur?
- What If the Thing Continued to Mutate?
- What If Spider-Man's Uncle Ben Had Lived?
- What If Wolverine was an Agent of SHIELD?
- What If the X-Men Had Stayed in Asgard?
- What If Vision of the Avengers Conquered the World? (there's two stories, a good and a bad)
- What If the Silver Surfer Had Not Escaped Earth?
- What If Namor Had Joined the Fantastic Four?
- What If the Fantastic Four's Second Child Had Lived? (again, a good ending and a bad ending)
- What If Spider-Man Had Kept His Cosmic Powers?
- What If Spider-Man Had Kept his Six Arms?
- What If Venom Had Possessed the Punisher?
- What If the Silver Surfer Had Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
- What If the Punisher Became Captain America?
- What If Rogue Possessed the Power of Thor?
- What If Peter Parker Had to Destroy Spider-Man?
- What If J. Jonah Jameson Had Adopted Spider-Man?
- What If Daredevil was the Disciple of Dr. Strange?
- What If Impossible Man Had Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
- What If: Starring Spider-Girl
- What If Wolverine was the Horseman of War?
- What If Iron Man Became Sorcerer Supreme?
- What If Dr. Doom Had Become the Thing?
- What If Jessica Jones Had Joined the Avengers?
- What If Daredevil Had Lived in Feudal Japan?
- What If: Planet Hulk (the story where Hulk lands on the correct planet)
- What If: Civil War (the story where Iron Man tries talking things through with Cap)
- What If: Spider-Man vs. Wolverine
- What If: New Fantastic Four
- What If: Newer Fantastic Four
- What If: World War Hulk (Thor intervenes)

A lot of the other ones are gray areas. The good guys win in the end, but a lot of people get killed before that.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 4, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One of my favorite Elseworlds is the Secret Society of Superheroes where a young Clark Kent was inspired by the Freemasons and when he put the Justice League together, he decides that they'd work in the shadows with nobody ever knowing they existed. Basically, a Justice League of Batmen. That leads to some major morality problems because it's not like Superman can grab a criminal and bring him to the police for punishment if nobody knows he exists. Nor is there any authority keeping them in check.

In other words, FBI Agent Bruce Wayne is obsessed with how the man who murdered his parents simply vanished without a trace, just like countless others. Little does he know that Superman and the others tossed them into the Phantom Zone without any due process. Wayne searches for the truth along with Lois Lane, who works at a tabloid and has some vague insight.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Anyone got any anti-recs? Elseworlds to avoid?

Act of God is pretty horrible, but sort of worth reading in the sense that it's entertainingly bad.

I hated Shogun of Steel. The idea of Samurai Superman should have worked, but I remember it being really lazy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

McSpanky posted:

In Darkest Knight is another really lazy one. "Bruce Wayne gets a power ring instead of a bat through his window" is a great concept but it turns out that everyone from Hal's world just comes to Gotham and becomes stand-ins for Batman characters anyway.

I HATED that one. It started out so well and then suddenly Joe Chill and Sinestro literally merge into the same being, which is Sinestro wearing the Joker's clothes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Finished The Dark Side . Excellent story, it's nice seeing an elseworld where things turn out way differently but not worse. Also that little allusion to the main Superman's upbringing is cute. One thing that kind of confused me though. So Superman didn't have his kryptonian powers on Apokolips because he wasn't getting yellow sunlight. But then why was he so amazing according to Darkseid?

It's been a long time since I've read that one, but I remember really liking the scene where Superman's on Earth and is going on an insane rampage and Bibbo is the one able to talk him down because he recognizes it as PTSD brought on by being in a war.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So should this be the thread where we officially discuss the Injustice comic? Because it's getting an annual in November.

For reals, the comic's been awesome for the past few months. It only took 33 issues for Superman to completely lose his poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

It's better than anything else DC is putting out currently, by an enormous margin. I like that Superman had every chance to back out of being a crazy rear end in a top hat but still went for it.

I think the thing is that Superman's actions have always been well explained. The game and first few issues made it seem like Superman went off the deep end right after killing the Joker, but he didn't. It just steered him into a well-meaning direction of trying to stop every war himself. That led to one thing, which led to another and before you know it, he's beating Green Arrow to death in front of Jonathan and Martha Kent.

I understand why Superman would briefly lose himself for a moment and punch a hole through the Joker, just like I understand why he'd finally snap in #33. It was a perfect storm of poo poo that would set him off. He thought Batman's crew was coming for his parents, Captain Atom almost killed him, Wonder Woman was put in critical condition, he found out that the US government wants him dead despite everything he's done, Green Arrow accidentally wounded his father and all of this was orchestrated by a guy he used to trust more than anyone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Off panel he breaks Reed Richards' neck and throws him in a dumpster. This was the same year as Skrull Kill Krew and Warren Ellis' Ruins (which has at least one great joke in it, a Daily Bugle headline showing a dead Galactus with the headline "GOD FOUND DEAD IN SPACE") - what the hell was going on at Marvel in 1995?

There is no comic in history that I hate more than Marvel Ruins. None.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's not even an interesting gently caress you. Guess what happens to anyone with powers?

It's Cancer. Cancer for everyone.

Either cancer or they're jerks.

There is literally a scene where Nick Fury shoots a prostitute (Jean Grey), talks about how Captain America introduced him to cannibalism and then shoots himself.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One of my favorite weird Elseworlds is one from some JLA Annual where Captain Atom flies into the future and finds himself in Warworld, which is ruled by an evil, completely cybernetic Booster Gold and Lord Havok (Max Lord). Booster has cloned old members of the JLI to befriend him, but Lord keeps killing Guy Gardner. Clone Ted Kord has been able to defect to the rebellion and gets Captain Atom to help them out. Only Captain Atom isn't sure if he's really himself or just another one of Booster's clones.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

McSpanky posted:

Well yeah but Cain was always an rear end in a top hat, the way they wrote it was basically "Charles went nuts because otherwise he'd just be Invincible Walking Professor X".

They explained that. When Cain was stuck in the mountain, all he could do was try to burrow his way out. Xavier at least had the ability to reach out with his mind and see what was going on. What was going on was that Magneto was loving up human/mutant relations to a ridiculous level and any hope Xavier had of creating a world where humans and mutants got along was getting more and more unlikely by the day.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Why didn't he reach out and tell someone to dig him out?

I don't think that would have done any good. Especially because he was hella buried. It took him decades to get out of there and he had top level strength.

catlord posted:

Looking at that list of What If? stories, it's kinda amazing how many of the same stories were turned into actual story lines (thematically if not directly).

I have an article going up at Den of Geek any day now about that. I did a list of What If stories that came true, only I made it challenging by not using anything that's spelled out in the title.

Not only are the Ultimate versions of Wolverine and Punisher based on What If stories, but you get a lot of interesting prototype stories in there. That one about Xavier as Juggernaut is practically Onslaught meets House of M. There's an issue where Wolverine puts together a kill squad that includes Psylocke and Archangel to go exterminate any threats to the X-Men. The one where Storm becomes Phoenix has her take over the world in a way that's very similar to the latter half of AvX. There's a story based on the idea of Cannonball's brother having an Iron Giant relationship with a Sentinel before the Sentinel series even happened (unfortunately, I forgot about this one when writing the list).

Plus What If the Avengers Fought the Kree-Skrull War Without Rick Jones is really the first gigantic company-wide crossover.

I highly recommend the issue, especially because it's kind of fascinating. It reads like a summer event, only told in a double-sized issue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hollis posted:

I really dig the hell out of Injustice, this weeks was particularly good with Superman and Batman facing off. It has it's weak points for sure but it's nice that it comes out on a weekly schedule and at least tries to explore some new ground.

I really loved Injustice's version of Superman vs. Batman, mainly because it isn't in love without badass Batman is. Batman has a couple tricks up his sleeve and he's able to hurt him psychologically, but Superman is still Superman. I especially love Batman's little copout. "I don't think I can beat you without killing you. And I'm not like you."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

The physical floppies and the digital issues have different colorists or something because they often look completely different. The actual factual books have art that just plain looks better.

I think it was Lurdiak who posted a really interesting comparison picture of the horrific BATFACE image and how it looks kind of okay in the printed version.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I haven't been picking up the print issues so I can't say for sure if the difference is that stark in every print vs digital comparison. It might be that this particular issue was just so bad that DC ordered a redo. Nevertheless, I've seen other questionable art in Injustice that really seemed to be a bad coloring/inking job on some nice pencils.

Considering one of the "Look how doofy the art is!" posts in the Funny Panels Thread was of a Kevin Maguire piece, I have a feeling that's a fair assessment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Huh. I think that means that next week is the final issue, not counting the Annual. Dang.

Here are things that have yet to happen to bridge the gap:

- Hal Jordan leaves the Green Lantern Corps to join with Sinestro.
- Sinestro and Black Adam offer their services to Superman.
- Catwoman joins Superman, essentially betraying Batman.
- Superman officially takes over the world.

So yeah, all that's really left now is for Superman to do more devious things and Batman to not be crippled. Makes sense that it would be wrapping up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

It sounds so jolly. I found it kind of cool in the 2099 world there were Thor worshippers. Not a lot of comics take into consideration the religious ramifications of mythological beings running around as superheroes.

My favorite part of 2099 was the awesome bookend twist. Miguel becomes Spider-Man 2099 and it's said early on that he'll be the first of many reborn heroes. The X-Men, Hulk, Ghost Rider, etc. will come to pass culminating in the return of Thor. Spider-Man 2099 is the herald of Thor 2099.

Then they came out with a finale comic to end the 2099 line and in it, Miguel lifts Mjolnir. Not only is he the herald of Thor 2099... he IS Thor 2099! It slows down his aging and he wields the hammer for a thousand years before retiring in peace.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hollis posted:

What?! Which book is that? I only think I read up to the Doom 2099 stuff.

2099: Manifest Destiny

Either way, everything 2099 was better than that lovely Kirkman attempt at rebooting Marvel 2099. I think his Punisher 2099 one-shot can be summed up with, "Be the Punisher? But I don't wanna! (THE END)"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm almost certain that when Tom Taylor started writing the Injustice comic, he had a vision in mind and it took him 36 issues to finally get to it. And it is beautiful.

After Superman cripples Batman, he notices that the super pill Green Arrow stole is missing and the Batcomputer finished uploading the pill's ingredients to another location. Superman starts to torture Batman for information until Batman points out, "Hey, you're Superman and you're resorting to torture. gently caress you." Even Superman's taken aback by this realization. Then he turns around and ALFRED KICKS THE LIVING poo poo OUT OF SUPERMAN BECAUSE HE INGESTED THE PILL!

I imagine a meme is going to come out of this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Indeed. I really hope we get more issues because this poo poo is great and there's so many loose ends to go.

Volume 2 has been announced to begin in January! :dance:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I just realized that Injustice: Year 2 will likely deal with Batgirl's storyline as revealed in her game ending (Barbara started out as Oracle, but Superman killed James Gordon so she became Batgirl in response), meaning that it'll be the first Barbara Gordon comic I've ever looked forward to reading.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Did they fix her spine or give her like an awesome flying, armoured and armed chair?

There's no broken spine to fix. She hasn't been Batgirl yet. It's just one of the few differences between worlds, such as how Injustice Lex Luthor is actually a swell guy who has been using his resources to keep the heroes' loved ones safe without them knowing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I really need to this, so much effort for a tie in for a mediocre fighting game. I'm guessing the super-pill is the game's explanation for why Batman can beat Superman in a fair fight?

Exactly. Which was nice because "How can _____ fight _____?" is something the internet wouldn't shut up about when the game was announced. It was a better thought out plot device than THE RAGE in MK vs. DCU.

quote:

Also didn't they fix Barbara's spine in the reboot? Something about South African surgery?

Yeah. Rather than simply retcon it away, they kept it in there just so she could be scared of guns and stuff.

Hollis posted:

Also, maybe I missed it but where is Hal Jordan right now? I haven't seen him I know in the first couple of issues Superman was just like "Yeah you're kind of a chump" and super speed takes his ring off his hand.

Hal has gotten very little panel time, but he's on Superman's side and has helped him punk Atlantis and rescue Luthor that one time. I'm sure he'll be a focal point in Year Two, since they've yet to do anything about him discarding the Green Lantern ring and joining the Sinestro Corps.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I wrote a lengthy look back at Year One of the Injustice comic for Den of Geek US. Basically what worked and what didn't. Also a panel that shows why Alfred beating down Superman is the best payoff.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hollis posted:

I read the whole article and really enjoyed it but can't understand why you didn't put that one image of Alfred headbutting Superman as the single reason to read the whole series.

Great article!! I didn't know that about the art at all. It really is completely different.

Thanks! The headbutting sequence was too spoilery for me to mention.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also anyone else think there's enough interest in Injustice and enough content for it's own thread? Gavok you'd be pretty good for the OP.

Considering the comic just "ended", probably not.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

You know what's a What If I've always wanted to read? What If Namor Was Raised on Land. Is what any good?

It was incredibly mediocre. It was from a weird year where all the What Ifs were more like Elseworlds as they all took place in the same alternate universe. In 616, there's a kid named the Watcher who was able to hack into the internet of this world and has been reading up on all kinds of different poo poo. So you had Namor being raised on land, Daredevil reimagined as a samurai in Feudal Japan (the Devil Who Dares), the Fantastic Four: Red Son Edition (with Colossus in the Thing role), Captain America existing during the Civil War, Wolverine going the Frank Castle route when his wife and kid are killed in the 1920's and Thor becoming Herald of Galactus in order to spare Asgard.

The Thor and Daredevil issues are worth checking out. The Captain America one is pretty funny in that it was written during the beginning of Brubaker's run so Tony Bedard made Bucky Barnes an evil general who transforms into the White Skull. Because when you think of top Cap villains, you think Bucky.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's one rather subtle moment I love in Red Son that I'm surprised Millar even had a hand in it. Luthor goes ballistic after losing a game of chess to Bizarro of all people. At first, that seems to be suspicious. Why would that happen?

Then with the ending you realize that Bizarro himself is technically a Luthor and it makes sense in its own way.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

I'm pretty sure they took the Fantastic Four and added different powers, but did they ever do a real round robin with the same power set? So Ben gets stretchy, Sue goes rocky, Johnny goes invisible and Reed gets fire?

There was an issue that showed different stories based on the team all having the same power sets. They all became Human Torches and it worked out for a little bit until "everyone shoots fire" led to the obvious casualty and they split up. They all became stretchy and everyone but Reed thought it was the stupidest poo poo ever. Reed dove headfirst into science, Ben and Sue got together and Johnny became a celebrity. They all became monsters with Sue as Man-Thing and Reed flew them off to Monster Island to live the rest of the days. Then there's one where they each have a different aspect of Sue's powers and become agents of SHIELD, ultimately defeating Dr. Doom.

quote:

What if Hercules didn't punch Galactus in the dick?

That panel of Hercules punching Galactus in the dick actually is from a What If, with Hercules pissed off at how Swordsman showed more balls against Galactus than the Watcher.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

Doesn't that one end with Wolverine "betraying" the rest of the team, telling Thanos to go over to Death and talk to her, and then promptly and literally stabbing Thanos in the back as he turns away?

I loved that comic because Wanderer told me years ago about how much he hated Infinity Gauntlet because it was Starlin's favorite throwing the Marvel heroes to the wolves against Starlin's other favorite. It also really bugged him that Wolverine had a clean shot against Thanos and went for a useless stab when targeting his arm would have made more sense.

Then that issue came out and the Newer Fantastic Four told Adam Warlock to gently caress off and ended with Wolverine defeating Thanos by disarming him. I had to email Wanderer immediately after reading the issue to ask if he willed it into existence.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It's nice to have Injustice back for one more week during its hiatus. If anything, the annual shows how much better it can be with competent art.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cassa posted:

Yeah, the Wolverine and Punisher ones were great. Especially the Punisher in a really dark way, where he's not here to try and save anyone, or help the world.

At least in the Wolverine one it ended on a positive note.

The best part about the Wolverine one's ending is how there's this really great, subtle moment thrown in there. Reed is talking about how tomorrow they'll be able to start testing their cure on people. T'challa asks how he could possibly still refer to them as human beings and Reed looks to where they have the infected caged up and says something like, "What else can I do?" At first glance, it appears to be this desperately hopeful line about the human race.

But it isn't. Mixed in the group of infected people, not highlighted by any means, is a blond woman wearing Fantastic Four tights. drat.

What annoyed me about the Marvel Universe vs. trilogy is how the Punisher story made Deadpool seem like an outlier to the cannibals. He was infected and one of them, but he was able to maintain his facilities for the most part. Then the Wolverine story showed that even though Deadpool had succumbed to the infection, he was still capable of doing the right thing and being a hero. That would have been a perfect setup for Marvel Universe vs. Deadpool to be the finale and wrap everything up, but instead they just did Avengers and didn't necessarily wrap anything up. It was just a bunch of needless backstory that contradicted stuff from the other comics while leading to nothing of importance.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pixeltendo posted:

Does there happen to be a good website that goes in-depth on the majority of the what ifs? because a lot of the stories i'm hearing in here are fascinating

Back in 2007, I did a Top 100 What If Countdown. I've been meaning to redo the entire list from the ground up and rank every single issue, since a lot of stuff has come out since then and my tastes have changed (I'd probably switch #1 and #2, plus What If: Annihilation would be in the top 3 somewhere), but here's the old list:

100-96
95-91
90-86
85-81
80-76
75-71
70-66
65-61
60-56
55-51
50-46
45-41
40-36
35-31
30-26
25-21
20-16
15-11
10-6
5-1

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KomradeX posted:

Does DC still do any of the Elseworlds stuff? I can't think of anything really recent. I've noticed some people will mark Flashpoint (which I really liked) as one but considering that it was the lead into New 52 (which I don't like) I'm not sure if it should count.

Injustice and Batman '66, I guess.

I'm still waiting for more non-TV villains to show up in that series. So far we've gotten Dr. Harleen Quinzel and Joker wearing the Red Hood helmet, but that's it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I hope that they are saving Chandell for an annual. Liberace is probably the most obvious choice for a 60s Batman villain but also one I had never considered before.

Chandell showed up in issue #6 already and he's apparently reformed, doing a comeback tour as part of his probation. Also, that issue introduced Batwoman '66 sort of, which I forgot to mention earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I wrote this months ago, but my editor felt it made for a good rainy day article to keep in a vault. Top 10 Marvel What If Concepts That Actually Happened.

To make it more interesting/challenging, I disqualified any concept that's spelled out in the title. So no What If Spider-Man's Clone Had Lived or anything like that. At the same time, I realized after the fact that I forgot to include Sentinel, since there was a What If issue about Cannonball's younger brother befriending a mentally-damaged Sentinel.

• Locked thread