Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So friends are dragging me into this, and I don't mind as Yu Jing look pretty cool.

Any good advice for new players? I've played a bunch of other wargames, but nothing quite this small scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Great advice all around. I'll definitely try and get some smaller more intro type games in before jumping in to the deep end, and with some proxies/borrowed stuff instead of my usual method of buying big and then trying the mechanics.

The YJ heavy infantry look super cool too, especially the Hsien and Invincible type soldiers, but there lots to be said for sneaky stabby types.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Got to play my first game today, just the basic starter armies, was lots of fun. Really dig the face to face mechanics and Yu Jing's armor values are awesome.

Definitely liked sniping his MSV l2 guy, not that it made a huge difference, dropping in and not scattering only to eat suppression fire was annoying. Having my Hsien lieutenant jump 4 inches and charge only to be burned to death was cool, if annoying.

I was destroyed pretty handily, but it's a cool, sensible system and I really wanna play it some more.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Pierzak posted:

also, hector is a strategos with plasma rifle or sth serioulsy who cares

That's actually kicked off a hell of a thread on my local area group. Apparently he's some sort of broken and OP machine? I haven't played long enough to judge, but he sure seems like a great target for being shot in the face over and over.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Jeeze, guess I'll get a transformer now.

How do you peeps handle the secret info stuff in friendly games? Currently still learning the mechanics/rules/all the other stuff that makes the game tick and it's not too bad.

The problem is I'm basically constrained from list sharing with my pals as they don't wanna know any of the 'secret' info before a game, which makes it had to make sure I don't make mistakes like deploy TO Camo guys on the board.

I mean if they wanna play super cut-throat ITS missions with everything right that's cool, but I've played two games and am not looking at swapping the training wheels for rocket engines any time soon.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Well I'm sure glad I bought that ISS starter back in feb...

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Got to play today for the first time in ages, wrote up a new YJ list to enjoy the new rules, and had a few hiccups, apparently the army builder doesn't mind if you take more than the ava limit of troops, and once again wasn't nearly aggressive enough.

But having fixed that issue, I'm kind of left with another; how many order peons is too many?

Keisotsu are so cheap, but I kind of find myself spending about 1/4th of my total points on them, is that too many? I can't escape the thought that a veritable shitload of forward observers is useful, but then they sit in my backfield, watching each other in case of paratroops/infiltrators.

It's great to be able to pour a bunch of orders into the Yan Huo or Ninjas so they can go to work (and oh my god, killer hacking devices are incredible), but I can't escape the feeling that I'm over-investing in these big units, which aren't invincible.

Edit: Just running regular YJ, with an eye for JSA.

Unrelatedly, how do you guys set up your tables? The guy who sets up ours at the local club loves his big sniper towers in deployment zones that can see 75% of the board, and I find it difficult to shift those MSV2 Multi-Sniper/Total Reaction bastards, any advice?

Cassa fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 6, 2016

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Thank you all for board advice,really taken it on and it's lead to some much more enjoyable games. Knife fighting with chain rifles, and being able to cautious movement ahead.

quote:

Invincible Army for Yu Jing

Ooh, tell me more.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
A board full of low vis/burst reduction is a really nice change from the usual urban stuff for sure.

Playing around with three lists, current core is a wu ming fireteam, sophotect as the cautious advance medic/engineer.

But I'm not happy with the rest of the list.

Version A

HSIEN Lieutenant HMG, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 61)
KǍNRÈN Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Chain-colt / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Knife. (0.5 | 32)
SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 31)
YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
DAKINI Tacbot Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
WÚ MÍNG (Fireteam: Duo) Chain Rifle, Submachine Gun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 25)
WÚ MÍNG HMG / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 39)
WÚ MÍNG Panzerfaust, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 29)
WÚ MÍNG Boarding Shotgun + 1 TinBot B (Deflector L2) / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 33)
ZHÀNYING (Sensor) Breaker Combi Rifle, Nimbus Grenades, MadTraps / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 28)

5.5 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

──────────────────────────────────────────────────
Version B
ZHÀNYING Hacker (Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 32)
WÚ MÍNG Boarding Shotgun + 1 TinBot B (Deflector L2) / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 33)
ZHÀNYING Missile Launcher, Nanopulser, Nimbus Grenades / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 28)
IMPERIAL AGENT (Multispectral Visor L1, Marksmanship LX) MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 32)
SUN TZE Lieutenant (Advanced Command) MULTI Rifle, 2 Nanopulsers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 65)

4 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Alternatively; Celestial Guard subbing in instead of Wu Ming

GROUP 1 5
KǍNRÈN Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Chain-colt / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Knife. (0.5 | 32)
HSIEN HMG, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 61)
HÙSÒNG Yaókòng HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
DAKINI Tacbot Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)

GROUP 2 7 2
IMPERIAL AGENT Lieutenant (Sensor, X Visor) MULTI Rifle, 2 Nanopulsers / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 52)
CELESTIAL GUARD (Kuang Shi Control Device) Combi Rifle + Light Smoke Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 13)
CELESTIAL GUARD (Forward Observer) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
CELESTIAL GUARD Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)
CELESTIAL GUARD MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 21)
KUANG SHI Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 5)
KUANG SHI Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 5)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Took version A for a run on this board, played Biotechvore, and gotta love HI in that mission.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 9, 2016

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
drat, that red really pops!

In the new Red Duel starter set, what kind of unit is the Al Fasid? Just HI?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Kind of a little confused about smoke grenades and special dodge

A: Hacker
B: Smoke having Morlock
C: Combi Rifle Celestial Guard

If C shoots at A, can B throw a smoke grenade?

Or, if C has to move to get into line of sight, can B throw a smoke grenade in response to that?

Cassa fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 21, 2016

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Awesome, thanks!

Now to get a game in before September.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Surely the correct life path is the one that winds up with you becoming a martial arts robot

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Not a viking posted:

That is a lot of cool stuff, but what is up with that up skirt on the o-yoroi pilot? I know its japan and all, but.

Gotta balance out the awesome model designs otherwise.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yu Jing's HI are all so drat gorgeous, still bummed i got a Hac Tao before the remodel. Do you have enough orders for all those toys?

Unrelatedly, how do you work out which list is the most current? I've got the builder but it's missing things from the Profiles PDF on the website, which is different to the main rule book.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wu Ming combirifle and light rock launcher, unless it was phased out?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Played some today, first time in forever, just 200 points to ease us back into it. Got lucky with some face to face rolls, and had a third mate basically GMing and telling me not to do my standard unfocused 'umm i guess i'll drip feed my army up and shoot you some' tactics. My Guilang did nothing but eat discovery rolls like a champion and then get blatted top of turn two while my Zuyong LT walked up machine gunning faces.

My Yu Jing vs Shock Army of Acontecimento, which was mostly a Regulars Core Fire Team on one flank with two hackers, while a Knight Montessa with a HRL and Peacemaker with Auxbot locked down the other. Was the quadrant and hackable terminals mission.

zuyong

ZÚYǑNG Lieutenant (AutomediKit) HMG / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (1 | 39)
PHEASANT IMPERIAL AGENT (Chain of Command, X Visor) Combi Rifle + E/Mitter, Stun Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 34)
BÀO TROOP (X Visor, Multispectral Visor L2) Combi Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 27)
GŬILÁNG Boarding Shotgun, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 24)
TOKUSETSU EISEI Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
YÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
KEISOTSU HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 17)

3 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Jungle themed board, which is what the square patches are.

Core team, about to get HMG'd at the end of the game.

Count as Bao Troopy running up trying to do a thing, and claim the quadrant.

View from the SAA side

We must secure the mushrooms!

My opponent painted my army, and I really need to get some photos done of them, they're crazy gorgeous.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Those new YJ toys are very tasty looking.

We're doing our best to drag a fifth person of our gaming group into this, they're looking at Steel Phalanx as they like the look of the 300 pt pack, any particular reasons for them to not jump on that? They're still super into all the models so at worst they'd be repurposed for other games.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
This starter?

The 300 pt army does seem to be missing those peeps.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What's the hacking program that lets you flip control of mines/mad traps? Or am I mistaking the TAG possession programs?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Of course! Was going a little mad looking for it. Shame the minesweeper Pangguling doesn't come with even a flash pulse like the Yáokòng, but for only 8 points, not the worst thing.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks, Kung Fu Fist gently caress! Just got a bunch of cool USAriadna dudes for the price of a box of Yu Jing Domaru Butai from anywhere near me. Might even jump on the Ariadna proper starter set it's so stupid cheap.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 27, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
High speed low drag on tactical turbines

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Quick question, probably a bit silly because of how my group has kind of hodge podged an understanding of the rules from a few sources and versions, looking on the wiki for cover. It says that the point of attack is chosen by the attacker, does this apply to the ARO bs attacker too?
I'm probably misreading but would appreciate a simple clarification. (I'm bad at rules learning tbh)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Because they're just not pretty enough to take more of.

Thanks for the rules clarification. I misread it and got excited so was reluctant to see the alternative.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Double post but finally took some good photos of the Yu Jing my friend painted up for me.

Doing this, I realised I have like zero light infantry, but two celestial guard are enough orders, IMO.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, photos. Those Nomads look fantastic.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Cheers fam, gonna edge HL it a bit more then use a brighter gold on the very corner tips. Unsure what to do after that, I either glaze the entire ball red, or I paint the power cores/innie bits blue.

Coloured core would look very cool.

How reliant are Ariadna armies on their werewolves? They're like the one thing about the faction I don't really dig.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Not hugely adverse to the funky dogs, it's just everything else, particularly the spetsnaz, is extremely my poo poo.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sure would be cool if they could name the models in the video, for those of us who don't recognise them on sight.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That would also be nice! Those Croc Men look so dumb.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
More steampunk enthusiasts, really.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That Mormaer looks amazing, and the rest also good!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I like the spiky Shang Ji even if they're a bit samey against Wu Ming

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Super useful. Though I still just rely on the captain spud hacking helper these days.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
You say that, until someone brings one along because it's their fav model, or regular hacking can make you IMM-1 and you're using orders to fix that instead. Some ITS missions sure do make TAG's a bit more exciting, though.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If you're wiping out the enemy, which usually means you're getting pretty solid board control, are you not succeeding at the rolls to push the objective buttons?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

It wasn't even a matter of me putting all my eggs in one basket, because by the time the TAG died there simply wasnt enough time to get another unit across the board.

It sounds a little like you were? Ignoring the enemies crits, if you just had the one model in their zone and no one able to support it seems like you might have over-extended.

But I'm definitely not a super experienced player, or someone who's even run a TAG.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So, is there any idea of when ITS season 10's gonna come out? I'm not in any rush, just looking at getting the book as it's so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

One nice thing about Kuang Shi is that you can kind of be justified in using models from other factions for them, since they are essentially brainwashed prisoners with explosive collars. I just use Corregidor Jaguars for them because of the fugly rear end current models, and jaguars have similar weapon selections(other than having a panzer option).

I never even considered that, though it's a little hosed up in the best Yu Jing fashion.

• Locked thread