Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

DJ Dizzy posted:

I'm barely familiar with this game. :v:

Tags are high risk and high reward. One screw up and a third of your points are gone and probably an even a larger percentage of your firepower since what remains will tend to be more on the cheerleader side of effectiveness.

If you aren't a great player they can go very poorly. It is recommended to start with cheap tags like the Xeodron because losing them is a lot more forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Butt and Kiss are live, friends

Holy poo poo, she is beautiful.

I'm more excited than ever to play Onyx.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I can't stress enough how cool a g:synchronized repeater on a killer hacking device will be. Mobile cybermasked repeaters are ridiculously fun.

My regular opponents just recently realized that my remote armies can be pretty vulnerable to hacking and this changes everything.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd be alright with the new Avatar sculpt + pilot if they added it to Onyx.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Do you always play with a Tag? In my experience they are pretty unforgiving and hard to use. They are great at dominating the opposition though.

Completely dominating your opposition but not having enough orders to get objectives sounds like the classic issue most people have with Tags.

edit: Once they get past the initial Tag hurdle of bad placement getting a third of their army killed for nothing.

edit 2: Have you looked into the odds for different f2f rolls? After running some numbers it turned out some results that I attributed to being screwed by RNG were actually pretty predictable. If you are nearly always feeling screwed by RNG it might be something else.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 7, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

In a game I played in my first escalation league I was playing nomads against an Onyx player with that Haris, and he engaged one of my jaguars in CC with the Samaritan. The jaguar won.

I too have had a jaguar kill my Samaritan Haris. I even had burst advantage due to the TAG.

It was that day that I learned you should only CC enemies who are garbage at it.

I should have known better, I've killed so many people in melee under the cover of smoke with jaguars.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cassa posted:

Aleph was Sepsitorized, our only hope is now the combined forces of Tohariadna

You joke but I'd sepsitorize Scylla anytime. If only Onyx had an avatar. :sigh:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

dexefiend posted:

The lovely part about Devil Dogs is that they don't have Grenades. When it comes to them shooting guys, they don't have face to face rolls like Dog Warriors. It's just templates.

Am I remembering that correctly?

Devil dogs have smoke grenades, just checked.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd assume PanO are losing something too? Maybe Svalheim, that would break the hearts of a lot of blues.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

I doubt they'll leave YJ players hanging. They'll probably replace the JSA units with something. Every year is the year of Yu Jing after all.

Why would that be.

Why would PanO lose anything or why would losing Svalheim make PanO sad?

The previewed sectorial had MSV2 and smoke. We both know that isn't something PanO, even in a sectorial, will ever get. (I'm joking)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Baiting people into picking the bad choice.

As someone who got into Infinity because of the amazing MB sculpts, it saddens me that they are the bad choice of the two. Riot Grrls don't interest me at all which also means Bakunin is out of the question.

edit: Also got into it because the rules looked a lot more engaging than other miniature wargames, of course, but the MB and Gecko sculpts sealed the deal.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 5, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

i think the 'non aligned armies' are a really GW-allies-esque way of getting people to buy units from a different faction and end up getting more because nerds have terrible self restraint

smart business tho

This is dead on. I already have half of StarCo, so why not get the other half? And after that, why not complete those other new factions I have models for?

It's a trap.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

This might be a crazy idea, but what if the JSA models really limited what they could do with Invincible Army and they split off the faction so that Yu Jing's upcoming new stuff can be even cooler without completely breaking the game apart?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I've not played in forever and I found out my town has an Infinity game day every Sunday. I was thinking of playing some RECON to get the hang of things again. How do people feel about the following list? I've never played Infinity outside my own home with friends, so I'm oblivious to anything meta related and probably really terrible (especially so since it has been nearly a year).

StarCo RECON
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

SEŅOR MASSACRE Boarding Shotgun, E/M Grenades, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW, E/M CCW. (0 | 26)
MOBILE BRIGADA MULTI Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 39)
DAKTARI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
BRAWLER (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)
BRAWLER (Fireteam: Haris) Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 17)
BRAWLER Lieutenant Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 16)
JAGUAR Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 10)

2 SWC | 150 Points

Open in Infinity Army

edit:

I want to play Starco because I love the Mobile Brigada sculpt and drat if Starco doesn't make that look good. I should probably make a second list for missions that rely on pushing buttons but I'm wondering how this one looks.

Main issue is you are only allowed one fireteam at a time. I'm not sure if using command tokens to switch based on necessity / forming a fireteam after the first is destroyed would make it worth bringing two potential teams. Probably?

edit 2: I'd also be up for suggestions on how to build a Onyx RECON force. I'm at a complete loss there.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 15, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Recon is the weird format one right?

Played some Aristeia today and managed to one shot Maximus with some lucky dice. Posted it to the WGC group for those interested.

Laxmee is pure filth and Hannibal while great I think is a bit overrated.

Yeah, Recon has the following list building requirements:

150 points
No named characters over 35 points
max 1 Impetuous (not counting Frenzy)
1 multi-wound model for every three other models
"Only a single Fireteam (Core or Haris or Duo or Triad or Enomotarchos) may be included in the list. It may contain a maximum of 3 members and may not be reformed to more than 3."
1 combat group

Missions are Annihilation, Exfiltrate, Frontline, Seize the Antennas, Smash and Grab, Sweep and Clear.
Map is 24" by 36"

Looking at it again maybe I can't bring two fireteams and just have one running at a time. Back to the drawing board I suppose.

edit: The meetup either does Recon, introductory games, or full 300 points games.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 15, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm not sure, but I think the special Brigada/Massacre/Daktari link requires a full five models, ie it actually is '3 MB + 1 Senor + 1 Daktari'. I know it seems weird, but the rules really are that specific for a lot of special fireteams.

If this Recon format (which I've never played) is aimed at learners or more simple games, I think trying to gain a second back up fireteam might be a bit of an error - even if it's allowed it might leave a bad taste with some of your opponents. Better to take the list building rules in the spirit they're meant and just take a conventional list.

For a small game with those restrictions, I'd advise taking a single 3 man link with a high burst weapon - your main attacking piece. Add a sniper or TR bot if you have enough SWC. That's your overwatch. Throw in a doctor and 1-2 models which either infiltrate or aerial deploy. Then fill the rest with cheerleaders. Gives you a powerful straightforward option, something to pin your opponent down or catch out his shorter-ranged stuff, and the ability to reach forward to his DZ.

Army builder is telling me "up to 3 Mobile Brigada", but you are probably right about having a backup fireteam being against the spirit of the rules.

I'll look at what I can put together with your build suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I've decided to just dive in and go with a full 300 point list instead of loving around with RECON. I figure I'm more likely to find people up for a game and I was having a hell of a time making a 150 point Onyx list.

I kinda hate listbuilding in Infinity. It is probably due to a lack of experience, but getting everything I think I need seems impossible. There is also not very many resources online that offer advice.

• Locked thread