Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is this thread still active?

I felt like playing this again for some reason, and I've already installed tons of mods but I have a quick question to those who might know more about it; Does the Immersive Weapons mod with its metric crapton of new weapons do anything to improve the weapon tier system from the vanilla game? Rather, does it add new and interesting good weapons that aren't ebony/deadric/dragonbone?

One thing that makes me reluctant to replay the game is that I'm not a huge fan of the weapon tiers, you always start the game with Iron stuff and end with Daedric stuff. I've never been a fan of the daedric aesthetic so I'd much rather use.. well, anything else without having to gimp myself. I found a couple of transmogrification mods that would solve this, but they all seemed pretty iffy and.. experimental. Basically, I just want an expanded selection of "endgame" weaponry with more looks than "black, red and spiky".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

- whole lot of swords -

Wow, that's a huge list. Thanks! I'll be sure to look into all of them.

I agree that some of the Ebony stuff is very pretty, but there's just something about Skyrim that makes me want good old steel, leather and fur. :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

I agree completely. For me, wearing finery while traversing Skyrim just doesn't feel right.

Which is why you might want to check out Brigandage, which adds a whole bunch of new armors that I think you might like!

There's also Common Clothes, by the same guy.

--

Oh and there's the Aesir Armor, which is a highly customizable armor set that fits right in with Skyrim's aesthetic.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems really impressive!

I love it!

I remember something about mods adding leveled loot causing trouble with each other and needing patching (merging?), is that still a thing and if so what's the easiest way?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another quick question; Is there a mod/is it possible to have your normal eyes as a vampire? I've looked around and I found nothing :sigh:

I just discovered Predator Vision and I'm already a huge fan, and I figure the downsides of being a vampire makes up for how powerful the mod is... but I spent too long in the character creator to have giant glowing orbs on my face. Being useless in sunlight and having to constantly feed are things I can live with, but don't ruin my character damnit. I feel like it would be such a simple mod, just replacing the crazy glowing vampire eyes with the normal eyes I picked when creating my character.

I'm not using any character-modifying mods, it's all vanilla.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Isn't that just a texture swap anyway? Or am I missing the depth of character eyes?

I would assume so (unless the glow is caused by some effect), but I have 0 modding experience and don't really know how to do texture swaps.

Mortimer posted:

why would you care what your characters eyes look like?

waifu trap sprung

You underestimate how big of a character creator dork I am. I didn't spend that long creating my character just to end up looking like an edgy anime, the glowy eyes are awful and look really bad with a rugged leather&steel aesthetic.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fleve posted:

If I remember correctly, you can just use RaceMenu to change your eyes to whatever you want them to be. As long as you don't actually change your race with racemenu everything should work fine with that console command. I'm not sure whether, without that mod, the console command also works properly and let's you change vamp eyes to normal eyes though.

Edit: That mod page seems to take for granted that people know how to use console commands. Open the console with your tilde key, ` or ~ or whatever weird jumble you have there, the thing left of your 1 button. For some reason the first letter I type once I'm in the console always gets ignored. The console command for the racemenu is showracemenu.

Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't work :( I think Vampires might count as a separate race, and it seems they only get 1 eye color to choose from. At least this mod seems really interesting regardless! I had avoided it earlier because of the images, filing it away as one of "those" mods but I guess it's just an expanded character creator.

I might just give up on this thing then. I mean, I could start a new character as a Khajiit and get it that way but.. I wanted to be a huge scary viking not a cat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand what Mod Organizer does that's different from the Nexus Mod Manager :( Anyone care to explain it in more words than just "it's better"?

Followup on previous post:
Holy poo poo, this thing even has a built in sculpting tool. As someone who's into 3D modelling my mind is blown, and as someone who already spends way too much time with character creators... welp. Guess I'll start my playthrough in, oh, about a week.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

with NMM you install mods on top of each other, if they have textures that replace other ones you overwrite them. Uninstalling can also be a pain because all of your mods are in one big folder combined.

MO, in addition to having all those nice integrated features like LOOT, keeps every mod in its own folder. Then in addition to setting esp load order you set mod folder load order, and the conflicting textures that are loaded last are the ones that are used. This also means scripts, SKSE plugins, and mod ini's are kept completely separate from each other. Uninstallation is literally clicking a box.

You can also have mod setup profiles, so you can have one set to vanilla, then click a tab and have your fully modded game, then click another tab and suddenly be running a different mix of mods.

MO is great

As far as I can see, NMM does all of these things though. :confused: It installs stuff in a separate "virtual installation" folder, it has auto sorting, keeps mods in separate folders in the virtual install directory, keeps track of overwrites and installing and uninstalling mods is just clicking a button. It also has profiles and other stuff.

I guess maybe the difference was bigger before? I tried MO some time ago but it wouldn't work at all so I ended up using the NMM instead. I know it's been updated since but, y'know, :effort:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

Also I think it's important to remember that Mod Organizer is maintained by someone who seems to be a competent programmer.
NMM's people on the other hand have in the past managed to push out an update that had NMM engage in an DDoS attack on their own website. And then did that again a year later.

That's pretty hilarious. Again, I switched to NMM because MO wouldn't work but I definitely appreciate both the fact that they did it first and that it's maintained by non-idiots. The next time I flatten and reinstall I'll give MO another try.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kainser posted:

Yeah, NMM is mostly fine nowadays.

Well that answers that.

I'm glad I checked this thread for mods, I downloaded the Alternate Start - Live another Life mod from the OP and it surprised me what a difference it made. I've used quick start mods before but they've mostly been "skip the tutorial" type deals, and I wasn't expecting to be this immersed in the various options provided. Some of them seem way better than others (starting with a manor, mostly) but the RP'er in me makes me want to start a different character for each option.. something Skyrim really didn't encourage in vanilla.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dongicus posted:

Why bother with the remastered version? There's no new content in it right?

Bloom and godrays count as content, surely?

I'm just wondering what performance impact it will have. For some reason Fallout 4 actually runs better on my PC than Skyrim does, despite Skyrim looking kinda.. old. That said, they pumped so much fog and godrays into Fallout 4's Far Harbor that it made my otherwise smooth 60 fps chug down to almost 30 and it looks like they're doing the same thing with Skyrim :whitewater:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there any mods/tools/tricks that can improve performance? Googling just leads to a bunch of horrible snake oil, so I figured I'd ask here.

It's putting a damper on my current playthrough, I mostly get close to 60 but in some areas the frame rate will drop as low as the mid 20-s, which feels really awful since I'm not on a bad rig. I have an i5-3570K and a GTX 970 which should be plenty for a 5 year old game!

I'm not even running on Ultra, most of my settings are ~high and I have not installed any high res textures or models, no ENB, no ini tweaks. I'm running Pure Waters, Wet and Cold and Climates of Tamriel which I suppose might affect performance? I still find it weird that the game runs so badly.

e: and just for the record in case anyone asks, there are no background processes hogging resources and I'm not downsampling
e2: for the heck of it, here's my plugins.txt too http://pastebin.com/MgWPG0BJ

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 16, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

What areas make you lose performance? If we knew, it'd be a lot easier to track down whatever is causing the issues you're having.

Yeah, I wish I'd have paid attention to this :sweatdrop: The only one I can say from the top of my head was when I first booted the game up on my old save at Largashbur in the southern Rift, even at high I got ~40 fps. Just now near Helgen I also had an FPS dip down to ~30 when fighting a wolf, but I was using a Bound sword and had the Predator Vision on so that might just have been an overload of shaders or something.

Apoplexy posted:

I say do a complete flatten and restart from scratch.
The thing is, I literally just did this :negative: I deleted reinstalled Skyrim (and SKSE), reinstalled all my mods, deleted all my old saves. It's a complete reinstall. Took me an entire day too, so I'm obviously not to keen on doing it yet again, and I'm not super keen on making yet another character either. I've leveled two characters to 30 now before doing reinstalls and if I had to do a third I'd probably just give up.

I've had a few crashes too, completely out of the blue CTD's. It has happened both inside and outside, while walking, pickpocketing and fighting. Maybe a new installation is inevitable..

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

This is kind of where I start to think about driver and hardware problems tbh. I'd check around for info available on your video card.

The thing is, the card is brand new and I've only experienced trouble in Skyrim. I bought the card for Dark Souls 3 and that game runs silky smooth. Overwatch is another new game I've played but that too is at a constant 60 fps at ultra settings.

Heck, even Fallout 4 runs better than Skyrim (and looks better!), but there are some areas that reduces my fps to ~40 in that game too (mainly due to godrays).

e: maybe my Skyrim folder is just cursed :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 16, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I made a new NMM profile and disabled all my mods, gonna try making a character now and just tcl+tgm my way through the world and look at performance. I had forgotten how bad the vanilla interface and opening section is.

Wish me luck.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Trip report: It's terrible.

Here's me running Skyrim, completely unmodded vanilla game at recommended settings going from Helgen to Riverwood:

As you can see that framerate is anything but stable, and the worst dip was down to 13 fps. Needless to say, it didn't feel very smooth.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've only used my Skyrim.ini to change the FOV (which turned out to be a huge hassle) but I deleted it anyway just in case..

.. And I'm starting to believe it was causing the problems. Maybe a mod or tool has made changes to it, because after deleting it I couldn't load any of my characters (which means it obviously did SOMETHING). Starting yet another character now (and I hate the opening part so much. Worst forced tutorial ever.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

When I do this kind of testing I pretty much always keep at least an alternate start mod on and only remove it if I absolutely have to, if testing reveals that nothing else could be causing whatever trouble I'm looking for.

Yeah, I really should have. But! I think I found the culprit. Compare this to the last one (same trip):

It's (almost) stable! :toot:

Does anyone have any idea what .ini setting would cause the game to freak out this badly, so I know what to look for if this happens again? I'm not really looking forward to starting over again, like I said I was already level 30...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

I'd need to see a diff of the two ini files, but, I don't really think changing the ini requires a new character. Settings you change in the options menus in Skyrim go to the ini, for example. It should be safe to change the ini mid-save because it doesn't change the save file. If you still have your old mod profile, load your save up on it with the new ini and see what happens.

Here's the diff

code:
2a3,5
> uGridsToLoad=9
> uInterior Cell Buffer=50
> uExterior Cell Buffer=100
4c7,8
< uExterior Cell Buffer=36
---
> [Actor]
> fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=15000.0000
11a16,17
> fDefaultWorldFOV=90
> fDefault1stPersonFOV=65.0000
and googling it reveals that it's probably uGridsToLoad that hosed my game (as it apparently has many before it). I hope there's a way to get rid of that stuff without invalidating my save file though :smith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Now I see why you guys dislike NMM. It crashed while I was changing my profile back to the one with mods enabled and now my Skyrim folder is filled with garbage and the game won't load. What a pain all of this has been :negative:

I guess I'll do a game cache validation and then reinstall everything.

GunnerJ posted:

I dunno, in your shoes I'd load the save with the old ini, go to an interior cell, quit, change the ini, and then reload your save and see what happens. I'm kinda just making "educated guesses" here based on how it seems things should work. :v:

I'll try that once I get things working again!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Welcome to Skyrim modding, buddy! :getin:

Ain't that the truth.

The trick with changing the ini while ingame worked, and from what I gathered by googling uGridsToLoad=5 is the default right? If I just removed the line (like in the .ini that the game creates) the game would still crash but I got it working with 5 now anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone :unsmith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe now that my framerate is back it's time to ruin it again with some high-res mods :getin:

Alasyre posted:

It's usually best to just leave uGrids alone; get DynDOLOD for wistfully staring out into the distance.

I looked up this mod and that looks pretty amazing, definitely better than what my game looks like!

Also I have a request; is there a good mod that makes first person weapons less... intrusive? I've just started using Bound weapons and it's hard to see anything because half my screen is covered in pulsating glow-sticks:

My FOV-settings are fDefaultWorldFOV=90 fDefault1stPersonFOV=65.0000 because I think bows looked really screwed up if I made fDefault1stPersonFOV any higher.

e: I just got my game to work properly and now I'm installing more mods again :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 16, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alasyre posted:

Some of the "immersive first person" mods will make you weapons less intrusive. Joy of Perspective comes to mind, since it uses the third person animations in first person to allow you to look at your boobs be immersive. There's two more, Immersive First Person View and Skyrim - Enhanced Camera, that do similar things.

I've tried the first person camera mods before and it was an awful experience :barf: I don't think that sort of "immersion" is for me, unfortunately. I did find a mod called Lower 1st Person Weapons which seems like it might be the thing I want though.

RE: ENBoost:
Is ENBoost recommended or is it one of those things that become more useful once you start installing 4k textures (lol) and stuff? If I'm installing and reinstalling everything anyway maybe it's time I try it. I've never been a fan of ENB presets (they look pretty in screenshots but are almost always awful during actual gameplay. Always too much saturation/dof/contrast) but apparently ENBoost doesn't actually have anything to do with the presets?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Re: ENBoost, imo even if you're not using ridiculous texture sizes and poo poo, mods can add tons of things and possibly gobble up that 3.1 GB limit, so having it as a kind of safety net is really valuable even if it never happens.

Aight between this stuff and migrating to MO, I guess I'm doing my third flatten + reinstall of Skyrim in 2016... so far :shepicide:
Should I install the 'Crash Fixes' too? What other "tools/patches" do you recommend?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does ModOrganizer not like manually installing?

I still have all the .7z's from when I downloaded all my mods in NMM so I figured at least I didn't have to re-download everything.. but when I add stuff manually with ModOrganizer they're all given a Version like "2016-06-09" and can't check for updates on the Nexus. One file did connect to the Nexus and gave me a huge ol' warning because my "2016-06-09" version wasn't the "5.1" or w/e recent version :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Threep posted:

Mod authors can put the version info in the files but if they don't, MO gets them from the Nexus alongside the download.

If you put all your downloaded mods in MO's downloads folder, they'll show up on the downloads tab and you can then right click and Query Info to attempt to get the info based on the file name.

Thanks, this seems to be the key. I noticed that the stuff downloaded with MO came with a meta file.

..unfortunately, it doesn't work.

With how huge some of the mods are (Immersive Weapons/Armor) I guess it's gonna take another day to actually migrate to MO..

e: uh I just tried for the fourth time and this time I worked..?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

The meta file is created by ModOrganizer based on the downloaded file's name. I forgot about the "query info" function. I'd try for at least a little bit: Nexus likes being a baby when responding to that API call, but it can be a good timesaver when it works.

Threep posted:

The Nexus having random issues all the drat time is an integral part of the modding experience

I should never have doubted in the incompetence of the ol' Nexus. :allears:

This is super neat when it works though. Thanks!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I reinstalled all my mods and... the game CTD's as soon as I get ingame.

After disabling all my mods one after one I found out that it was ENBoost which caused it, and I have no idea why. I installed it as per the STEP description (copied the d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini) but on startup it creates enbseries.ini and an enbseries folder and gives me the "ENBSeries 0.305 for TES Skyrim Copyright (c) 2007 - 2016 Boris Vorontsov" stuff before giving me a large red text with
code:
 PATCH SPEEDHACK ENBoost turned on in enblocal.ini, graphic modification disabled
followed by a blank loading screen and then the game crashes.

I ran the VRAMSizeTest tool and subtracted 170, set the rest to what the guide said. Any ideas?

e: also I'm getting the "this save relies on content that is no longer present" warning even though my modlist is exactly the same (except in MO instead of NMM). Same mods, same load order, idgi.
e2: I mean I'll probably have to make another character anyway but I find it strange

e3: yeah okay MO is pretty cool. It even shows you the saves and what (if any) mods are missing. It was the HighResTexturePack .esp's which it recommended turning off since they're just for loading .bsa's. Neat.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 16, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Threep posted:

Update DirectX, that will probably take care of it. (Usual disclaimer: Do this even if you think you're up to date or your DirectX is a later version, it doesn't matter because of how DirectX works)

Unfortunately this did literally nothing (aka. didn't install or change anything) but..

I tried the old trick of "just reboot your computer" and it seems to have worked :iiam:

GunnerJ posted:

Those messages are normal.

Glad to hear I didn't mess anything up, then.

e: well now it crashed again, after I booted up EVGA PrecisionX. Closed it and the game works again. I guess those two just hate each other or something, which is a shame since I want to monitor my FPS :saddowns:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 16, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You're both right, I'm just a real sucker for graphs (makes it much easier to confirm stuttering, for example).

Speaking of stuttering, what sort of stuttering is the STEP guide talking about for the "ReservedMemorySizeMb" in enblocal.ini? Constant stutter? Stutter when you're moving through the world and the game has to load new assets? Random stutter? Microstuttering? Lag?

I tried setting mine to 512 and 1024 and didn't really notice a difference. The detected VideoMemorySize (minus 170) was 11734, if that is related.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I managed to install DynDOLOD!

...but it only made it even more apparent how bad the view distance and pop-in is in this game :negative: The game looks much better from vistas now anyway.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Getting rid of uGridsToLoad=9 made an insane difference. From getting this framrate at High settings:

I now get 60 fps at Ultra settings with high res textures, DynDOLOD and 1.5x downsampling :psyduck:

I feel like I still haven't cracked ENBoost though, the FPS counter never moves below 60 but there's clear stuttering when moving around. I feel like I get exactly the same results with ReservedMemorySizeMb=64 as with ReservedMemorySizeMb=1024 so I don't really know where to leave it.

e: I got Skyrim Performance Monitor to work, took it for a spin and I can't see any correlation between VRAM usage and the stutters, or GPU/CPU% and stutter. Starting to think it might actually be due to disk I/O.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 17, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alasyre posted:

What are your system specs and how bad is the stuttering? Sometimes lowering ReservedMemorySizeMb helps; its all about finding a sweet spot. I think all Bethesda games will have some stuttering when loading stuff, even with ideal hardware and settings; for me its barely noticeable. I'm also running Skyrim on an SSD, so that would affect my results.

i5 3570K, GTX 970 4GB, 16GB RAM and running the game on some old Samsung 1TB drive. The stutters aren't that bad, I'm just really sensitive to them.

Since it's stuttering when walking around I'm guessing it's due to loading assets, and since the VRAM stays pretty constant I'm assuming it's the IO. It looks like all the stuttering happens during I/O too so I'm blaming my old drive:

I should really get an SSD, but it's such a hassle to :pt:

e: but enough complaining! Now that Skyrim actually runs at 60 fps maybe it's time to try out an ENB preset. Any recommendations?

I've tried looking around and 90% of the ENB presets I find feel like they were made for taking screenshots instead of playing. Things I don't want:
- Insane saturation (ouch my eyes)
- Too much contrast (ouch my eyes)
- Too much DoF (I mostly play with bows, need to be able to see into the distance)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 17, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alasyre posted:

Quietcool was always my favorite ENB, but it was taken down and is probably old at this point. ENBs are a pain to match up with the latest binaries, lighting overhauls, and weather overhauls, so once you find a good one you might want to stick with it for a while. Are you using a weather overhaul? RealVision (also one of my favorites) has been updated for CoT 5 and the latest ENB binaries.

I use I Can't Believe It's Not ENB (which is just a SweetFX preset) and fine tune with Imaginator, since I was losing 20 to 30 FPS using most ENBs.

Edit: drat you, now I'm feeling the urge to try out the latest version of RealVision. My perfect game...

Good god that's quite the performance hit :shittypop:

I'm using Climates of Tamriel, so I guess I'd have to find something that works with that. I looked at RealVision (and a lot of the top ENB Presets on the Nexus) and it looks absolutely stunning in the screenshots.. but I just can't imagine playing like that. It's kinda funny that it's named "RealVision" because it has so much saturation, contrast, bloom and DoF. The one that looked the prettiest to me is probably Natural Lighting and Atmospherics but it has its own weather .esp and it says "It is an intensive preset, with nearly all effects enabled" which sounds pretty scary.

I'll check out the ones mentioned!

e: I can't for the life of me find out what NVLA stands for

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 17, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

e: I can't for the life of me find out what NVLA stands for

No seriously, every google result of "NVLA Skyrim" or "NVLA ENB" is people talking about it like it should be obvious. No links, can't find anything on nexus, and I can't figure out what the letters stand for. It's driving me crazy!

There's an NLA (Natural Lighting and Atmospherics) but there's no V in NLA. Someone spill the beans, please :sweatdrop:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75346/ Sorry about that, didn't know it was going to be hard to find out about via a Google search. It's real new, that's why. It's a hybrid of Vivid Weathers and Natural Lighting and Atmospherics.

Thanks! I looked all over for weather mods and stuff, didn't know it'd be in the "ENB Presets" category. My mind is finally at ease.

I tried out Tetrachromatic and, well.. When I started a new character this is what I saw:

(On my main monitor this is more or less pitch black, can't see the grate)

But after fumbling about in the darkness and picking the "I was a hunter" starting option I was greeted with this:

Mein Gott :magical:

It tanked my framerate to ~50 fps with some noticable "choppiness" though so I guess I'll have to configure it a bunch if I want to be able to play at 60 fps and see anything indoors. Can't wait to check out NVLA too!

Maybe this is a dumb question... but is there a lighting mod that makes stuff brighter? All the lighting mods I've seen have been all about "realism" and making everything pitch black at night and inside houses/caves, but those were already a touch dark for me with vanilla Skyrim and looks to be even worse with ENB presets. I know I could crank the gamma up a bit more but tbh my monitor is a piece of poo poo and that'd make everything else look awful.

e: Tetrachromatic certain changes the "feel" of the game quite a bit... but man, I had forgotten how dreary Skyrim is:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 17, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

Same, doing anything at night is impossible because I can't see 10 feet in front of me. Torches don't really help.

I'm loving the ENB though

I'm not sure I'm going to bother with NVLA, that's a lot of steps just to set it up.

I think I'll probably go with NVLA because it runs a bit smoother on my computer (even with the performance options of Tetrachromatic), and also because I feel sorry for my poor GPU running at a constant ~100% with Tetra :ohdear:

Since I'm removing Climates of Tamriel it seems I need to do all the DynDOLOD stuff all over again though (oh joy..)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Are you using the new standalone DynDOLOD? It's much faster than it used to be.

I am, and it's pretty great! It still takes a while and some effort to build, but from what I've seen (and tried) it's leagues easier than it used to be.

Finally got it installed, started a new character and walked outside... aahh, NVLA and DynDOLOD look amazing combined:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
NVLA makes caves and nighttime super duper dark for me, but it works really well with Predator Vision so I just pop on my nightvision when travelling at night or spelunking :3:

Without night vision:

With night vision:

Also, I managed to screw up my newest character and I'm looking for some help. SPERG doesn't install its uncapper settings properly in ModOrganizer apparently, so I went 6 levels with the wrong settings. Is there any way for me to remove half the accumulated perk points? I should have gotten 3 perk points but instead I have 6, and I also got half the stamina that I "should" have gotten for leveling it. The latter is probably easy to fix by just console commanding myself some more stamina, but from what I've gathered there's no real way to get rid of perk points.

Is my best bet to just put a point into a perk, remove that perk and then rinse and repeat until I'm at the proper amount? What about SPERG perk resets, will that give me back the incorrect amount? :ohdear: I guess if it turns out to be a major hassle I'll just live with my 3 extra perks and pretend my character is gifted or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

the only bad thing about USLEEP is the same thing that was bad about the separate unofficial patches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WnHuC9wUtg

I knew what this was going to be before clicking the link :allears: I thought I read that it was removed, but I just started the main quest and got the voice lines (and I just reinstalled everything).

Trip report: Everything is pretty great! I'm incredibly happy with NVLA and it looks stunning, and ENBoost must be doing something because I've had much fewer crashes (despite having more mods). I still gotta figure out how to tweak the night/indoors darkness though because I can't see anything without night vision. So far I think I've crashed once out of nowhere and once when I killed a Flame Atronach while using Predator Vision where it clearly crashed when trying to do its exploding animation (probably something to do with shaders).

I've only discovered one (serious) bug and that's with Gloombound Mine. It wasn't respawning its ore, so I waited half a month forward and when I entered.. there was a Blood Dragon flying around inside the mine, glitching through walls and causing trouble. It couldn't be killed either since it had nowhere to land so I ended up using 'disable' to get rid of it.

e: disabling the dragon did the trick! The mines are now respawning like they should.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 19, 2016

• Locked thread