Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Out of curiosity, why are all the good mods on Nexus only? Is there something about the way that Steamworks applies mods that limits what modders can do or is it just some website community loyalty thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've had a good experience with Interesting NPCs, although of course I haven't found all of them, and it's quite possible there's some stinkers out there. Their main virtue from what I've seen is their lack of Mary Sues. One guy just pawns/sells scrap metal for a living, one guy works at the sawmill, stuff like that. The ones I saw at least didn't overshadow the more important vanilla NPCs in their towns.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Inverness posted:

My game seems to to be crashing repeatedly when heading northwest from Falkreath. Twice it happened when opening my favorites menu, the other few times it happened randomly just when walking towards the road. Does anyone know of any popular mods that might cause issues in the area?

Nothing's immediately coming to mind, could you post a screenshot or text list of the mods you're using?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's true, SPERG and Uncle Sheogorath's are the first mods I install. Apocalypse spell pack is the third.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Morgoth posted:

Undeath seems to be a really promising mod, it's just a shame that it's riddled with bugs and glitches. I installed it and played through the questline and really enjoyed it - I hope the author gets his act together and continues to work on it. In the meantime, bugs include breaking the Thieves Guild and College of Winterhold questlines. Definitely an OP-worthy mod once it's fixed.

I was looking at Undeath earlier, trying to decide if I want to install it. Could you elaborate on these bugs and glitches? By 'breaking' do you mean the Thieves' Guild and College of Winterhold quests are impossible to complete? Too easy to complete?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They are more powerful, but Destruction is by far the weakest school of magic and also the worst offensive skill. The problem is it's so bad that many mods try to address it (SPERG, Apocalypse, etc.) and the compound effect can sometimes combine to overdo it. What difficulty setting are you playing on?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Because two-handed weapons are enormous and there's not a lot of possible places to put them?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
But what about Decumus Scotti. :(

Someone should make a mod that has those guys drop half-legible forbidden knowledge books that give you a warning prompt and then inflict some sort of half-blessing half-curse on you if you read it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

skoolmunkee posted:

Hey, I really love Skyrim and it occurred to me that now that I have an actual desktop PC that seems good enough to run modern games, maybe I could get Skyrim for it and play with some mods! I'm mostly interested in new quests and locations, so I'm glad there's a section in the OP that highlights some good quests. I'm pretty happy with the combat and whatever, what I most want is for the landscape to be interesting again when I wander around it, new tasks show up to do, etc. I love just plonking down for a few hours every couple of weeks to wander around the Rift or something, but I've done everything in the game a few times over by now.

I'm totally inexperienced with modding and stuff though, so I know it's going to take me a lot of time to get everything set up and working. I guess what I'm asking is, would all that (and re-buying skyrim and some dlc on steam) be worth what the new quests/locations mods offer?

If you like Skyrim that much, and your PC can run it, then mods are a lot of fun and would absolutely make it worth a rebuy, especially if you can get it during a sale. Some of the mods in the OP add Solstheim-quality content, but I will note that usually the quest and location mods don't add stuff dotted around the landscape (because randomly altering a bunch of cells increases the chances of conflict with other mods), but instead add quest lines more similar to, say, the Companions' Guild or Mages' College quest lines. You won't blunder into new dungeons by accident, but you will have lots to do if you go after it. Apart from quest mods though, there are things like spell packs, (get Apocalypse, it's incredible), monster mods, and item mods that will make you constantly be running into new spells, creatures, and equipment, even when you're exploring vanilla dungeons, that can make the old areas feel fresh.

As for learning how to apply mods, it's a lot easier than in the Morrowind days. The Nexus Mod Manager is a super useful program that lets you browse, download, and automatically install mods, no chance of accidentally putting files in the wrong folders. Mod Organizer is the goon-developed alternative to the Nexus Mod Manager, and while it's more powerful it's also less user-friendly. The Nexus Mod Manager vs. Mod Organizer debate is ongoing, but in my opinion if you don't want to do anything complicated like maintain different suites of mods for different save files, then the Nexus Mod Manager is all you need.

The only other thing you need to know is that most of the more impressive mods require a little program called Skyrim Script Extender (usually called skse), which is just a few files that you drop into your Skyrim install folder, (steam/steamapps/common/skyrim) and when you want to play your game, you run the skse.exe instead of launching the game through Steam.

This thread is also the running tech support for mod installation questions, so ask here if things are confusing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just love the idea that the tough-as-nails viking natives have just been too lazy to tear this hideous demon claw door down for the past however many hundred years.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do werewolf claw attacks count as unarmed attacks? If so, do they benefit from SPERG perks and things that benefit unarmed?

How do I claw the most face

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Iron Rose posted:

by not being a werewolf.

But I also want to be a nerd half of the time. :saddowns:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

I was going to ask why this was such a big deal in a setting that already has werewolves and giant cat and lizard people, but then I clicked the link and it warned me that this was adult content so consider my question retracted I guess.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, but if a pirated mod distribution site got big enough, publishers might go after them due to the aggregate perceived loss of profit.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is going to get real messy. It won't be long before (hypothetical scenario) the Midas Magic guy decides to accuse the Apocalypse Magic guy of stealing all his ideas, and then what on earth happens.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Of course we're going to recommend modding in the modding thread. In my opinion, there's no value in experiencing the vanilla perk trees when you can get the far superior SPERG ones. Likewise, why would you struggle against the awful UI when you could install SkyUI right off the bat? Sure some mods ruin or heavily alter the intended experience, but those two at least are pretty much straight upgrades.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Skwirl posted:

Quick questions about SPERG and Archery.

1) Does everything that says "bow" in the descriptions also apply to crossbows?
2) How do the ethereal arrows stack up damage wise to other arrows?
3) Are there ethereal crossbow bolts?

1) Yes.
2) They're better than iron but not great.
Don't know the answer to #3, sorry!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Post here if it's bad too, please. Terrible Skyrim mods are the entire reason I follow this thread.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Work has officially begun on the useless fat idiot son mod. I made all my custom meshes and textures. They're based on RS Kids resources, because they let people make other mods with their stuff, and it meant I could work with way more interesting clothing meshes than the default. I'm pretty happy with how his dorky outfit turned out. Here's a work in progress screenshot of "Rufus" as I've taken to calling him.

I've been building an elaborate witches' lair where he is held captive until the player intervenes. Making the actual follower is pretty easy compared to all the peripheral stuff...

I am so glad this is getting actual work done on it instead of being a beautiful forum pipedream.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I love the Dwemer armor so much. Savin' Skyrim as a mead guzzlin' daedra summonin' compulsively pickpocketin' magical steampunk robot.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
SPERG makes magic achieve the same levels of hilarious that vanilla stealth archery does.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Does SPERG do anything cool to the vampire lord and werewolf perk trees or are they a seperately governed thing?

edit: i ask cause i'm using better vampires already and i'm in the market for something to improve vanilla werewolfing, but if sperg already does something i don't need to bother

No, SPERG doesn't touch vampires or werewolves.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

KakerMix posted:

How DMCAs work is like this:

:words:

Thanks for this post. It was interesting and I appreciate seeing how it works laid out like that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mortimer posted:

here have a response from the author

quote:

I hesitate to use the word 'bug' here, as that implies I made a mistake

this guy can go suck an egg

Haha, he's completely serious, too. Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Super No Vacancy posted:

do you guys think they'll fix lip syncing

As long as giants still send people into space I'm ok with whatever they do.

• Locked thread