Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I've been looking through the thread for some sort of mod that allows me to defeat both the Stormcloaks and the Aldmeri Dominion.

Aldmeri Dominion? For fighting against the Thalmor, there are a few mods out there:
* Adal Matar the Lost Stronghold - Fight Against the Thalmor I
* The Cyrodiil Frontier - Fight Against the Thalmor II
* The Aldmeri Domain - Fight Against the Thalmor III
* The Great Talos Hunt
In addition, opposing them is also a prominent part of these two:
* Helgen Reborn
* Moonpath to Elsweyr

That said, I cannot vouch for any of them, as I haven't tried them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

Is there a way to change where skyrim saves its games?

It puts them within "My Games" (or "Saved Games") which is a system directory. You can move that at the system level. In the file explorer, right-click on the "My Games" folder, click on "Properties", go to the "Location" tab, and you can transfer everything to a new location. It should be transparent for all games within.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Maybe this? It's small and in the Riften canal, so it should be suitably run-down.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LtSmash posted:

Is your skyrim folder in program files? That's a good way to make lots of mod stuff not work right.
As a rule, I never install games in Program Files. It's a good place for office software and such. For games, it's always going to be a hassle if you want to mod.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I nearly never comment nor read comments on the Nexus anyway. I browse for stuff. If something interests me, I download it and check it out. It it doesn't, I look elsewhere and won't waste my time explaining to the authors they should cater to my tastes instead. Only exception would be if there are technical issues, and only after making sure to have read the readme for any "gotchas" that might explain the problem.

Generally, the RELz threads on the Bethesda forums are a better place for giving and receiving feedback anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

So does anyone know a fix to the problem where Skyrim stops responding on the loading screen, but after a minute or three goes through? Because for the life of me I can't figure out how. It was working fine, I edited an enchantment in the CK and then bam, problem. Happens even with new games, and even with that specific esm disabled.

Happens even when I disable all mods actually, the heck?

E: Well reinstalling skyrim did it. Weird.

In case the issue crops up again, you might try Safety Load.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr Snofeld posted:

Does using a shield count as having armour on? I ask because I want to revisit my unarmed and shield Khajit Captain America

Catpain America.

In vanilla at least, shields do not count as armor. I don't know about unofficial mods and patches.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I kinda hesitate about installing the unofficial patches because I don't always agree with the Skyrim community on what definition of what a bug is. For example wearing archmage's robes and mage's circlet together is deemed a bug for some reason which probably makes sense to a particularly spergy martian, but is just downright incomprehensible to me. Or J'zargo being a useful follower is also deemed a bug. I wish patches would be happy just fixing serious actual bugs (savegame corruption, quests that fail when you succeed, etc.) instead of trying to balance the game -- as if the concept of balance had any legitimacy in a Bethesda game anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nomikos posted:

If you plan to use a bow (and are using mouse&keyboard), you should apply this aiming tweak. It disables aim assist, and also makes arrows shoot towards the crosshair instead of, annoyingly, a few degrees above it.

On the topic of arrows. Is there a mod to either fix or disable the ranged killcam events? It's really annoying to get the killcam on an archery shot only for the arrow to be launched at the character's feet and immediately collide with a mushroom or something, instead of flying true, clear away from obstacles, and right in the hapless victim. Even more annoying when you get the killcam to look at your character busily doing nothing at all because the animation somehow got stuck or something, and the monsters are taking position all around you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Synastren posted:

Skyrim would let us take advantage of a preexisting environment, with plenty of easily added, already existing assets--we just need to find a way to rem
ove anything that wouldn't normally crop up on, say, a hike. Most of the time I go hike through a national park, I'm not accosted by Stormcloaks... :v:

Just pretend they're LARPers from the SCA or something. The occasional dragon soaring and roaring high above the valley will be harder to explain, though. Maybe there's a mod that replaces their model with Goodyear blimps. :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://static1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/5518-2-1325898360.jpg
This is the creepiest thing ever

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Isn't that just the Septim crest?

It is, and it's a damaged version (there's a bit missing from the dragon's wing on the lower left). It's also missing the amulet of kings on the top which completes the lozenge.

If you compare the Morrowind box art with the Skyrim box art, you can see the differences. (Ignore the triune triangle with the daedric ASV glyphs on the Morrowind box).

It's symbolic of course: the empire itself is damaged and the Amulet of Kings was lost at the end of TES4. But you can still see the outlines of where the bit of wing and amulet should have been. I think the paint on the shield should be complete, at least not have the damage on the wing because why would you paint it that way?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BattleCattle posted:

Is there a way to tell it to use more cores, or is that beyond the scope of modding?

It's definitely not something you can do with the TESCS. If the code isn't made for running parallelized on multiple cores, then the only way to make it do that is to write a new engine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ofecks posted:

I guess this is more of a general Skyrim question, but can you do unarmed stealth hits?

In vanilla, yes.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Unarmed_Combat

Haven't looked in details at whether SPERG changed that or not.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"Can't levitate? Well then, I'll swim over your stupid cities!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Speaking of Arthmoor, USLEEP (Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch) just came out.

I'm going to wait for mods that require the individual patches as a master be updated for downloading it, though.

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch is USLEP, so where does the extra E come from? :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poil posted:

Cool, thanks. I kinda want to avoid the trap mentioned in the thread title.

If you only spend ten hours modding before playing, you have avoided the trap.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wildtortilla posted:

I'd like to finally play Oblivion but I don't know which version to buy. There's a GOTY and GOTY Deluxe version. GOTY comes with all the expansions and the deluxe looks like it comes with some items and player houses in addition to the expansions. If I want to play Oblivion modded and eventually the Morrowind mod, which version should I buy?

See this.

Oblivion GOTY contains Shivering Isle and Knights of the Nine. Oblivion GOTY Deluxe contains all DLCs. I'd recommend getting the deluxe while you're at it, the themed houses are swanky and the dungeon for Mehrunes' Razor is okay.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chaltab posted:

the author loves to lock you out of your controls

Okay, yes, avoid.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raygereio posted:

Arthmoor came across as a old curmudgeon

No need to precise the context further.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Entropic posted:

In all the time I spent on Skyrim I don't think I ever even once tried adopting children. Do they actually do anything?

They contribute to IMMERSHUN if you want them, but they're basically useless as far as gameplay or quest completing goes. Pure fluff.

You can get a couple boosts: gift of charity (which you can get from beggars as well anyway) and parent's love. Kinda anecdotal in either case.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Apoplexy posted:

So it turns out that stuttering I get is from ENB. Any ideas on what I should do to get rid of the loading-stuttering when turning? :(

Get rid of ENB?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Squeegy posted:

Begging people to help you fix your game when you aren't using a mod manager is like asking them to rebuild your house when it burns down because you refused to fit it with smoke detectors

This forum is not where I'd go for house building help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zPiTHjzVI

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

doctor 7 posted:

Please someone have a link to a summary of this

Probably DUEL, which doesn't do nothing at all, but doesn't do as much as it claims to do, and many of the changes are pointless (like changing GMST that are apparently not actually used by the engine).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fleve posted:

On the other hand, I just started Wheels of Lull and drat. I've only been murdering ghosts (and a boss ghost!) in a mine and talking to some...'people' down...somewhere, but it all feels more grand, more weird, more fun. Are all of Trainwiz' mods like that? Cause then I need all of Trainwiz' mods.

The absolute best Trainwiz mod was made for Morrowind, but it is heartily recommended.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, that's because almost every mod was either properly bash tagged in the description or BOSS would transfer proper bash tags over to Wrye Bash. People don't bother with bash tagging anymore because Skyrim Wrye Bash has sucked for so long.

Mods that are properly bash tagged have those tags automatically applied by Mator Smash, though! (USLEEP basically.)

I'm actually surprised that the toolmakers haven't apparently had the idea of comparing an object's records with that object's records in the .esm files, and find out what has been modified exactly through this comparison. In 99% of the cases it'd make manual tagging superfluous.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Psion posted:

It's pretty easy to grab Workshop-only mods and keep them in your actual mod manager, though. I had to do that with something once. Subscribe, copy the files, unsubscribe, never touch Workshop again or somesuch.

Or you can use this greasemonkey script.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rookersh posted:

Anybody got a link to it I guess?

Raygereio posted:

Link
There are more links for on the modpiracy reddit.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Charles De Mar posted:

people move onto my Facebook, YouTube and Twitter

Have you made these accounts private? Don't hesitate to just block uninvited guests.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Skyrim Hardcore Immersion Trip

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

Bonus points if you cringe at calling Firewatch ""Watch of Fire" which is extremely lame.

That name make me think your wrist needs some sort of healing ointment.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dont you have a pal with you during that sequence? Let him do the fighting.

Ah, the exciting COD school of gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULv6HbgEjY

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Siets posted:

Skyrim is for nords!

Make Skyrim great again!

:smugdon:

But there's already a(n invisible) wall all along the borders!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

Best I could come up with is "Skyrim is for the goons" or some poo poo, which is terrible.

Spergrim.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Re: OP in progress:

quote:

A Bashed Patch was, in prior TES games, a very capable tool for resolving these, but never developed that well for Skyrim. It's mostly good for merging changes to leveled lists, but a merged patch also does this. Requires using WyreBash (more later about this).
It's Wrye Bash, not WyreBash. Consonents together, vowels together, space between Wrye and Bash. I'd also say "in Oblivion and Fallout 3" instead of "in prior TES games" because for Morrowind, they were called "Mashed patches" made by Wrye Mash; and of course for vintage pre-NetImmerse-aka-Gamebryo-aka-Creation TES games (Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard) there was no Wrye utility at all.
There's also another case of a clumped WryeBash down in the {MODMANAGERCHART} section.

About SPERG:

quote:

Places a lot more importance on you skill scores
*your

That's all I've noticed. Can't provide much help for mod suggestions and additions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Smol posted:

The text implies that Bethesda acknowledges that mod authors own the copyright to their mods. No idea where that text is from, but stuff about copyright ownership is probably in the same document.

It's the EULA to the Skyrim Creation Kit.

And yes, copyright is automatic to everything you make, including stuff you make based on someone else's copyright. If it goes to court, the winner is the one who hires the most expensive lawyer, as demonstrated by "artist" Richard Prince's career.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Apoplexy posted:

Who's that dick

Some smug douchebag who makes millions by photographing other people's art and blowing them up. Calls it "appropriation art".
http://hyperallergic.com/152762/richard-prince-inc/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think I've ever gone to High Hrothgar. I don't remember using a mod to skip it either. I just used the UESP wiki to look at where word walls were found.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Word_Wall
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:Word_Wall

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OP confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

it means that the highest possible value a plugin can have in the load order is FF, or 16^2, or 256

:spergin: (16^2)-1, or 255.

256 is 100 in hexadecimal. Likewise, the highest value you can represent with two decimal digits is 99, not 100. (You still get 256 (or 100) different values you can represent because there's 00.)

• Locked thread