Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

To my astonishment, it seems to have somehow gathered over 1000 endorsements. It's been a while since I last checked. I am, actually, touched. In the head. And also... Well, maybe not, eh?

The original was pretty inspired stuff, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Just one more question: Those of you who purchased the game on Steam and now use MO, do you ignore Steam entirely and launch through MO, or use MO and launch through Steam?

Ignore Steam, launch through MO. Also, I used MO to go get Nexus versions of most of my Steam Workshop mods, and made my own package of the workshop ones I couldn't find on nexus but wanted to keep, and installed that with MO.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Mod Organizer makes everything tons easier. I've been working on a moding101 post but its pretty bad still. Your basic steps are
  1. Install skyrim outside your program files folder because UAC and whatnot fucks up mod tools. The CK is probably good too.
  2. Install Skyrim Script Extender. Its needed for lots of things and it has to be done outside a mod manager.
  3. Install BOSS, TesEdit and Wrye Bash. These are programs you will need to make mods work together and can't be done through a manager.
  4. Pick your mod manager and install it. The correct choice is MO but NMM and wrye bash exist too. Run everything through MO.
  5. Download and install your mods in MO. Order doesn't matter since MO's magic keeps them clean.
  6. Sort the file overwrites in the left pane of MO. This is the equivalent of install order in nmm or bash but its just drag and drop.
  7. Make sure any compatibility patches you need are installed.
  8. Run BOSS (through MO) to sort your load order (right panel in MO). Move any unknown mods as needed.
  9. Run TesEdit (through MO) and make a merged patch.
  10. Run any dynamic patchers like Automatic Variants or Dual Sheathe Redux (through MO) if you use them.
  11. Launch SKSE through MO and play.
  12. Crash Skyrim and spend weeks tweaking your setup instead of actually playing.
When you add or remove a mod you need to do steps 6+ again. It sounds complicated but its really not too hard. MO makes a lot of the painful parts super easy and the rest of the tools do the basics pretty easily too. Start small so you have the steps down before you put in a million mods.

Edit: Just saw Skyrim Scalpel popup on the nexus. Looks like a neat tool for loving up mods on a deep level.

Step 10 is where Wrye Bash would go, then? Thanks for this post. I've gotten MO and SKSE working, but haven't braved bashing patches or dealing with Automatic Variants. It actually sounds...easy.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Wrye Bash would go in step 9 since its pretty similar to tesedit. For Skyrim a bashed patch isn't what it used to be. It can only merge leveled lists while tesedit can merge a ton of things in addition to leveled lists. If you do use a bashed patch in addition to a merged patch you will have to delete the leveled lists section of the merged patch in tesedit. They use different methods of determining how lists should be merged but it usually gives a pretty similar result.

So I could just as well skip Wrye Bash then?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

It looks like Nexus broke Mod Organizer by changing the urls it's supposed to use, but the new ones don't work, so they can't test any fixes. There's a thread on the S.T.E.P. Project forums, something about subdomains. Apparently skyrimnexus.com changed to nexus.com/skyrim.

I was finally going to get back to Skyrim. SPERG 4 is on the Nexus, so I guess it's out of beta?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

melon farmer posted:

It's OP at the higher spell tiers (especially when combined with SPERG) but then again so is literally everything else - might as well have some variety to your 1-button wins. I really like it, it has added a whole lot of content and there are a lot of viable mage playstyles now.

Are there decent buffs and debuffs? I've been wanting to play a support character and let followers do the killing, but vanilla doesn't seem really suited for that.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Mod Organiser and I assume NMM downloads have been completely broken for ages for me. Doing it manually works fine though :shrug:

Update Mod Organizer to 1.0.11.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Do you still need the Dawnguard and Dragonborn patches for SPERG these days?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Only mods with a defined menu for MCM will appear. Most will not.

As far as I can tell, pretty much everyone who uses mods uses the unofficial patches as well. They're not necessary, but they fix a lot of bugs, and they don't seem to make any trouble that I've read about.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Quift posted:

Also, how do I install the community uncapper if SPERG is only supposed to give me a perk point every second level. Figures that was why my last mage was so utterliy overpowered. It doesn't install through MO so I just threw it into the data folder bubt it doesn't seem to do anything.

Just copy the uncapper ini file that comes with SPERG over the default one in the uncapper mod. No need to edit the file unless you want to do something else with the uncapper aside from using it for SPERG.

e: though, I think what I did was edit the SPERG uncapper.ini, copy the text, then paste it in over the contents of the uncapper mod's copy. That was it was all through MO and I was pretty sure it'd wind up using the changes, which it did.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 6, 2014

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Axeface posted:

E: I'm also having a run at SkyUI, and now having difficulties with that as well. Apparently my SKSE scripts are missing. Yipe. SKSE is actually showing up in my list of installed stuff with MO, though, checked off in the left tab and everything. Does this mean anything to anybody?

SkyUI will complain it can't find SKSE during installation if you are using Mod Organizer, but this can be ignored. See if it works when you run the game (by running SKSE as an executable through MO).

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

No, that's exactly what Mod Organizer prevents. Mod Organizer doesn't touch your Skyrim installation, and that's why you use it. Instead of uninstalling manually, you turn them off in MO and next time you play, they don't get copied in and used.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Duck and burger posted:

ghost animals and poo poo

That's the best part! I didn't mind the original perk system, but for me, SPERG is more fun.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Which is exactly why I made, and recommended earlier, this.

But it doesn't mention excluding SPERG. I thought about using the improved inis, but just decided to turn off perks altogether in ASIS, so it only adds more enemies. Left everything else vanilla, I think. No bashed or merged patch. Will that make my game suck, and if so, how?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

So far my approach has been to just accept that not everything will find its way to levelled lists, although I have Wrye Bash and TesEdit installed in Mod Organizer, because those two tools seem to be a time-consuming pain in the rear end and I'm not sure what I'll gain really, other than finding more interesting loot. I may take another run at it, incorporate the improved ASIS inis, and see how it goes.

Question for modders: I have some follower mods I like, but they start at level ten and have a bunch of magic gear. How tough should it be for a complete noob to change their starting levels to 1 and replace the enchanted stuff with level 1 appropriate gear, for personal use only? I'm reasonably technical, though not familiar with how mods work under the hood.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Besides Leveled List integration, you'll also get the other changes from your mods combined. For example, Cloaks of Skyrim adds special cloaks to certain specific NPCs. However, in order to do this, it has to include the entire NPC entry, which overwrites any changes done by any other mod, such as Revenge of the Enemies or High Level Enemies. Without a merged patch, you'll either get: A vanilla NPC with a cloak, or a cloakless NPC with your other changes. However, simply making a merged patch takes only a few minutes and is not hard at all. Here, from the readme for my Improved ASIS INIs.

Making a merged patch in 7 easy steps:
  1. Download and install TES5Edit. Generally you stick it right in the Skyrim folder. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25859
  2. Run TES5Edit. If you are using Mod Organizer, you'll need to run TES5Edit through MO's executables button.
  3. When it shows you a list of all your files with checkboxes next to them, just click the OK button.
  4. Wait until the status bar at the bottom says "Background Loader Finished." This can take several minutes. Go eat a sandwich or something. Get me one too.
  5. Right click on ANY file on the left-hand list, select "other" on the popup menu, and then select "Create Merged Patch."
  6. Click OK on the unnecessarily melodramatic warning, then enter a filename without an extention. I always use "Merged Patch", but don't use "Merged Patch.esp"!
  7. Wait a few seconds for TES5Edit to work it's magic, and then just close the program, clicking "OK" when it prompts you to save your shiny new Merged Patch.
Done!

Seriously, can we get that in the OP?

I'll admit, if you want to use a bashed and a merged patch, it's a little more complicated. I seriously would not recommend using only a bashed patch, though, as Wrye Bash doesn't merge a lot of changes together.

Thanks for taking the time to write this out. I am finally doing it, also using your ASIS inis. Now it's sandwich time. Do you want cheese on yours?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

LoonShia posted:

What do people prefer: Skyrim Unbound or Live Another Life?

I like Unbound better. It's a lot more flexible. Live Another Life feels forced to me.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Here.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, play vanilla until you find something you dislike. Vanilla Skyrim is perfectly playable.

How much you want to gently caress with the game before playing is up to you, but here's how it breaks down for me:

Level 0: just play vanilla. It's pretty fun.

Level 1: Unofficial patches. They just fix broken poo poo, which is good, and there are at max four of them depending on what DLC you have.

Level 2: Get Mod Organizer. You won't regret it.

Level 2.5: You didn't get Mod Organizer. You got other mods instead. It was really interesting, but now Skyrim is full of ponies or mudcrabs with hats or whatever, and you can't figure out how to get rid of some of it. Also, your game crashes now. Reinstall, get Mod Organizer.

Level 3+: Everything else. G.E.M.S. is a good overview of mods, as is the OP. At some point figure out TES5Edit and make a merged patch. Opinions will vary on what is necessary. I've never bothered with ENBs and only have SkyUI because of mods that require it.

I'd start at vanilla or the unofficial patches, play for a bit, expect to trash your first playthrough after you mod the hell out of things.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

graynull posted:

Managed to get all my mods reinstalled or copied over, hopefully intact. Now I just wish there was a way to verify/ensure the stability before starting a new character. Hate to invest time and have saves become crash/freeze prone like 40 hours in. Last game just became fairly regular ctds and freezes when traveling outdoors or in combat. Oh well, I guess I did what I could... LOOT and cleaned and Bashed and Merged and Patched to the best of my knowledge.

I was having similar problems. Ultimately I restarted for different reasons, and axed a few mods I could live without, but I did have some luck with waiting 31 days. Saves stayed around 11 meg, but much less freezing at shop menus, while outside, etc.

Crap, I forgot to get the waiting mod. Now seems like a good time to ask: am I likely to gently caress things up by adding a mod? I'm using mod organizer, and all I want to do is add the one mod that lets you wait more than a day at a time, but I have one princess of a mod (AFT) that seems not to work right unless it's dead last. I don't really know much about adding mods mid-game.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 9, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I may give up on Skyrim for a while. Got rid of lots of mods, started over, merged and patched and all that crap, and crash to desktop on entering Redbelly Mine. I could disable all the mods and reenable them one by one, but Skyrim takes about ten minutes just to start. I'm pretty sure the sequel would be out before I finished.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Is there anywhere that mentions what the ASIS Experimental Patch does, aside from experimentally patch ASIS? It's possible that I'm an idiot who can't read, but I never saw an explanation. I installed it anyway, because I'm trusting like that. Thanks for the inis; that plus OBIS plus Immersive Patrols plus probably Interesting and Inconsequential NPCs are making the low level game hard but fun. Roads are pretty full, and if I can't take out a bandit fort, help for one side or the other will be along in a moment.

I'm probably going to punt the two Arthmoor mods that make people run from attacks on the city. Too often there's this giant crowd at the door in an inn, and the town doesn't work too well because most of the NPCs are in hiding. Had this at Riften after a dragon attack just outside it, so the shops were abandoned and the hostiles in the Ratway just stood there and were hostile, but wouldn't attack. I'd rather reload occasionally if someone really inconvenient dies than deal with it. Besides, it's sort of goofy that a blacksmith won't pick up a weapon and help out.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GaistHeidegger posted:

It's extra work for sure, but the ideal process for getting everything squeaky clean and solid (barring lovely mod conflicts overall) is LOOT + MO sort, Wyre Bash bashed patch + CRC check, TES5Edit cleaning of ITM / UDR of anything the prior three mention + sorting masters on anything still orange in Wyre -> don't touch anything after that for a given playthrough.

My process was a subset of that: MO sort, bashed patch, TES5Edit removing ITM in the DLC, ASIS patch, play. Much less sorting. Thing still took an hour to do, and I get random purple textures (not missing, they clear up on reload) and CTD all the time. So don't skimp, I guess? I'm limping along because I'm really tired of restarting characters.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I am experimenting with EFF too, after being a longtime AFT user. It doesn't seem to control armor all that well, especially trying to get followers to wear enchanted robes. I do like being able to have them gather ingredients when we're in the field, but next time I gently caress with mods, I'll probably go back to AFT. The spell control and option to train manually are really nice.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I never ran into that problem. Looking at the various loadorders from people who post about that problem, my guess would be that that's either some sort of incompatibility issue with another mod, script slowdown from a broken mod, or people not realizing a certain other mod (Wet & Cold) has a feature that has NPCs staying indoors during bad weather.

Might have been one of the first two, but I have never run Wet and Cold, Frostfall, etc. I did find some mod that protects named NPCs as an alternative.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I crash to desktop a lot outside in the wildnerness. Dungeons never seem to crash. I'm using MO, Wrye Bash, cleaned my DLC, can account for all the mod conflicts in MO (that is, they're intentional). Modwise it's a few utilities but mostly armor and weapons, a player home or two, and lots of extra spawn mods: ASIS, OBIS, the Populated series, Immersive Patrols, Interesting NPCs, Inconsequential NPCs, a few followers. I haven't touched the mods since I started this playthrough.

I'm definitely running out of VRAM. I see purple textures after a while, especially when entering Jorrvaskr, but they're not consistent, so I know they're not missing. My video card is a 5870 with 1gig of VRAM. I bought this machine before Skyrim came out, and it crashed less back in the day, before I started adding so many NPCs and different variants of armor and weapons.

The question: would upgrading the card likely reduce the crashes? I'm debating getting a whole new machine (Skyrim takes about ten minutes to load, and the sorting/bashing/merging takes almost an hour when I change mods), but if I can just throw a better video card in, I might do that instead. It's just a game box, and Skyrim and Civ are all I play.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

First squid-on-the-engine question: you're using the ENBoost, the SKSE memory fix, and Stable uGridsToLoad?

I did set the memory fix in skse.ini, but I don't have a uGridsToLoad setting, nor am I using ENBoost (or any ENB at all). I also have the graphics set kind of low, other than using the high-res textures: no anti-aliasing or fxaa, no anisotopic filtering, dropped the resolution to 1366x768 (the lowest it would go), but I am using high-quality textures. It probably looks like poo poo but I don't really notice.

Is there a squid on my engine? That sounds bad.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Just as an experiment I set the textures to low. I still get lots of purple ones when I go somewhere that uses ones that aren't loaded. I guess either that video card or that pile of mods (there are lots of armors and clothes) is done. I'll probably start over, go back to using AFT over EFF, try those two recommended mods, and possibly do it all on a new video card or machine. Thanks for the tips.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

They're not missing from the disk. If I save, quit and restart, suddenly the textures are there, and if I play a while, later different textures will be missing.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Yep, that's squid is the lack of ENBoost and Stable uGridsToLoad! The first doesn't really require you to use "an ENB" beyond the memory hack it uses to do an end-run around Skyrim's 3.1 GB limit, the second's just a mod that makes uGrid loading more stable.

http://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41592/

edit: I don't know whether these will absolutely for sure resolve your issue, but they improve stability, prevent CTDs, and are worth trying before building a whole new computer probably. (Unless you are already going to anyway, but even then I'd use them on my new computer too.)

So, I installed these and then ran around. A lot. No purple textures, and I didn't get the usual crash while wandering around. It ran for a few hours, then crashed when I fast-travelled to Solitude, but that's far better than before.

I'm not sure if ENBoost loaded, though. I put the three files where they go, but I don't think they existed before and I don't see how skyrim would know to load them. Did I miss something?

Anyway, it's much better now. Thanks!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

gently caress, I just ordered a new pc mainly to play highly modded skyrim on. I don't mind spending money on games, but skyrim mods are way too variable quality for me to want to deal with this.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

razorrozar posted:

Yep, Skyrim folder's empty, and nope, MO didn't help. I checked the support site and there's nothing there either. Should I contact Steam Support?

I'd just write it off, but that kills a lot of mods I'd really like to have - not least of which is Skyrim Unbound.

http://www.chinagreenelvis.com/gaming/mods/skyrim/skyrim_unbound/

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The Data folder exists to be hosed with, so it seems silly to me to avoid touching it. Anything you do to it can be undone just as easily.

Did you memorize the complete directory structure so you can tell just by looking at each file whether it is vanilla or a mod, and if so, which mod? Do you look at the original archive file and then use that to determine what files a mod provided? Or is this all printed out and stored in a file cabinet?

I think at this point if MO magically vanished from the world, I'd feel more like writing my own version than rummaging around in the Skyrim data directory tree. Philosophically, it's a lot cleaner to me to maintain a list of possible changes to the original and be able to turn those on and off than it is to just toss it all in the same place and trust myself to accurately remember what files a mod adds or changes.

I fully get wanting to point out alternatives to what's presented as the only sane option, but honestly, your way sounds like a lot of work. That doesn't sound like automatic vs manual, it sounds like automatic vs it's Wednesday, let's rebuild the transmission for fun. I respect the knowledge that lets you comfortably do that, but I'd much rather spend my time driving the car.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I can't say for sure whether all the major follower mods - Extensible Follower Framework, Ultimate Follower Overhaul, and Amazing Follower Tweaks - are free of creepy poo poo, but I know AFT is. Alternately, there's a bashed patch tweak to just increase follower count.

Man, I wish AFT wasn't abandoned, I really liked it.

I still use it. Tried EFF for a bit, and while I really liked telling the group to gather ingredients, overall I preferred the control in combat that AFT gives. It hasn't changed in a while, but it still works. It's a bit of a pain with Mod Organizer, ASIS and Wrye Bash because it really does want to be last, and I keep having to move it last in the load order, but it's worth it.

I like: mass relax, tweak spells to make a healer/buffer, no helmets outside combat, follower keeps distance.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I was never really bothered by the dialog interface so a faster interface just doesn't matter to me. There's some quality of life features I'd really miss if I switched like conditional spells (making a follower capable of healing you when you're near death for example) and auto-helmet removal outside combat. Maybe they seem like minor things but they're more interesting features to me than a menu interface. But I also have a less that comprehensive understanding of what EFF if capable of, maybe there's something I missed and it can replicate these features.

Conditional spells was one of the reasons my EFF experiment didn't last long. AFT isn't currently being worked on that I know of, but that hasn't caused me a lot of problems. The only weird thing about AFT I run into is it really likes to be the last mod, and when it's not it doesn't always work.

The one thing I miss from EFF was telling followers to go gather ingredients, but it wasn't worth giving up conditional spells (the only healer I tried was Ceridwen, who annoyed me, and I prefer being able to set just a couple critical points for quick heals over having a dedicated healer anyway), what felt like better combat control, and "follower keeps distance". Pretty much everything is better when followers don't crowd so drat much.

Edit: yes, armored circlets also make everything better.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm fed up with not having a proper Invisibility spell, and really don't feel like grinding out 50 levels of Illusion using Clairvoyance

Go to a city, spam muffle.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Yeah I went through and looked at them for a bit, but I'll be sticking with SPERG.

Ordinator looks to me like "I thought of 418 perks and named some after my favorite bands!", like more of a perk heap than the thoughtful redesign that went into SPERG.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I suspect OBIS of not being particularly good for stability. I used to crash running into bandits.

Immersive Patrols II? Haven't seen that around. Somebody fork it?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting any problems were due to Immersive Patrols, was just curious what Immersive Patrols II was. I like IP a lot, and don't think it contributes directly to instability. Indirectly, since it spawns more stuff, it probably adds to the chances of a crash if you have instability already.

In the end, the solution to my issues was ENBoost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Jaxson's Smart Looter will also do this. You can also get some followers with EFF and tell them to harvest.

• Locked thread