Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I found this cool little mod that lets you gamble on a dice game in taverns, and it got me thinking about how unconnected I feel to the game world. Are there any other good mods out there that add more little things like that to make the world feel a little deeper? All the ones I've found so far seem to be going for the "backbreaking peasant labour" niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Griever posted:

I'm really liking this Leaf Rest player home mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33661/
Feels cosier than the hearthfire homes, is nicely situated in Riverwood which is the best town anyway, has all the crafting facilities you need and has a few little bonuses without feeling completely overpowered like some home mods. Slightly customisable.
I would prefer if you had to buy/unlock it first but I always end up super rich in Skyrim anyway on every playthrough so I guess it makes no real difference in the long run.

The linked auto-sorting storage containers are particularly nice imo.

Nice! I was just about to ask for suggestions for player homes. :) I've been using this one for a really long time, due in large part to being spoiled by the auto-sorting chests:

Heimsgaror

But as I just installed a bunch of new mods and started a fresh character I wanted to get away from always using it and live somewhere new. Anyone else have any favourite player homes?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Mortimer posted:

Poor baby you'll get it next time :sympathy: PS follow a text guide like Neovalen's or STEP rather than listening to an entrancing englishman

HOPEFULLY they won't need to do that, what with engine optimizations and greater power in new consoles. Who am I kidding it'll be Imperial City 2.0.

The first thing I noticed about Skyrim's cities is the extreme lack of services. Every city has one inn, one blacksmith, one trader, and one religious place. Balmora had two general traders and a lot more specific equipment/alchemy traders, even a specific bookseller. Every guild was represented as opposed to just a single one.

Sadrith Mora has almost the same amount going for it, and Vivec is even bigger :stare:. I'm pretty sure even Ald-ruhn is bigger than Whiterun.

Yeah, it really feels like with each subsequent game Bethesda is becoming less ambitious, or afraid to take risks.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm having some problems with brawls. I'm trying to brawl Uthgerd, and she either stands up to fight, stops fighting and sits down again immediately, or pulls out her sword after a couple of punches and turns it into a real fight.

At first it was just standing up then sitting down again, I uninstalled Enhanced Blood Textures based on some posts I saw elsewhere, but this just leads into the scenario where she pulls out her sword after a bit.

I thought it might be due to SPERG, but forcing brawl mode through the menu there just leads to her stopping the fight and sitting straight down again.

I also have the loose files version of this fix but that's not helping either. Kind of at a loss here, anyone encountered this and know what some typical solutions are?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Overemotional Robot posted:

Are you using UFO? I had a problem with it screwing up brawls for some reason. And yes, had this exact problem and after lots of trial and error just ended up not talking to her at all.

I was using EFF, removing that didn't help, I removed everything that might be casting an effect on the player and no luck. Thing is, this is the first intimidation quest I was given in the companions, and I can't abandon it, does this mean I can't do their questline?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm trying to find a player home mod I remember from a while back, it adds a little hoboshack underneath the bridge just inside the Whiterun city gates. I can only find these two:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26409/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/44136/

Neither of which are the one I remember. They don't quite have that "I'm a homeless person" vibe I'm lookin' for. I think the one I'm remembering didn't even have a floor, just the stream bed running through it. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember this/know where to find it?

Edit: Found it! It's called the Humble Abode.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34954/

Davoren fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 20, 2014

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Honestly I think you're better off with The Town Is Safe rather than When Vampires Attack, TTIS spawns vampires from the levelled list rather than master vampires all the time, much safer.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Whats the best option if I want to make playing as a werewolf a bit more viable? Theres a few overhauls on the nexus but I don't want to gently caress my game with a lovely/shoddy disaster mod.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Dawnguard adds a werewolf perk tree so you'll want that before anything else.

Moonlight Tales shakes up werewolf gameplay but doesn't make them any stronger. Stuff like lunar transformations, transforming at will, etc.

Bloodmoon Rising overhauls the perk tree that Dawnguard added.

Werewolf Mastery gives you optional straight buffs to werewolf stats if this isn't enough. Also the ability to change howls or revert to normal at will.

Re: NPCs in the dark. I tried this but it just resulted in people going through pickup animation loops or holding invisible unlit torches. Not sure if that was just script lag on my end or an incompatibility or the mod being beta though.

Cool, thanks for the rundown!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, it was pretty awesome when they actually started incorporating the stuff in the video, don't know why they stopped because everyone was loving it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Dongattack posted:

I can't play without the "Immersive Sounds" series, aspecially the magic mod in the serious is really nice and different:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40190/

If you click her username you can see the rest in the series.

Didn't someone discover some kind of problem or something with the immersive sounds series? I seem to remember a strong recommendation not to use them, I hope I'm wrong though, would be good to be able to add them.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh yeah, now I remember, it was Sounds of Skyrim I'm thinking of, guess I'm downloading Immersive then!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I loved the idea of OBIS but I uninstalled it after constantly getting murdered by ridiculous poisoned skeevers.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

MeccaPrime posted:

I know it isn't too bad to begin with but I wanted to at least bump it up one tier to Elven level. Its perk is Advanced Armors, but I think making it on the Scaled Armor level is too much.

I've never when looked at the CC, but maybe this is my time to remedy that.

I duplicated some of the low level light armors and changed them to clothing for a mage I was playing, it's super-easy.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Gyshall posted:

HDT Equipment on the :nexus:

Man I tried to install this and it was a huge pain in the rear end, each mod seemed to be dependant on another which was dependant on another, did I miss the simple version somewhere?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I guess maybe because I went for dual sheath redux too, that wanted another skeleton and something wanted new idle animations.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 12, 2014

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

On the question of DLC, I was pretty pleased with all of it. Even the ones with bad writing add enough new places and items to make up for it, also I fully expected Hearthfire to be poo poo but its actually kind of cool.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

This is probably a question that's been asked a bunch of times, but I never paid attention because I didn't need to know until now! Does Apocalypse spells play nice with SPERG, for that matter, are there any spell mods that do?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I was looking at mods that add children of other races to adopt, I found this one:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27542/

But the kids just look like shrunk adults. Someone added a patch to update the models using something called SkyKids, but when I google that I get a bunch of loverslab links, which makes me understanably wary. Anyone got any experience with this?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been using the mod Convenient Horses, it adds a power that lets you whistle for your horse, plus it has all kinds of other options, what saddle your horse uses, health and speed boosts, whether they run from combat, and it gives your followers horses. Can't imagine playing without it now.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Faster Mining by Ebald makes it so you'll get everything from a vein in three strikes if you activate or one strike if you just hit it with the pick. You do know you can mine by hitting the rock with the pick like a weapon right?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Is it this one? Mine foremen sell ore

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I keep thinking that I should ~roleplay~ an Orc but then I remember that outside of the one or two stronghold quests there really isn't much Orc business to take care of in Skyrim, any good mods for my Orsimer borthers struggling against the man?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Does anyone know if there's a mod or console command or something to bust you back down to level 1, reset the scaling on the enemies but keep all your progression and stuff? I find that I get tired of a character not because I'm done with them, but the high level play isn't as interesting as that of a low level character, but it gets tiresome to keep making new dudes and running them through the same old questlines and dlc's for the ranks and perks and such.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, I found some bat files and commands that set you back down, but there's not a lot of information about exactly what that entails, and I don't want to be a level 1 character when the world still thinks I'm 50+. The gear problem is easy, I just put that stuff away and start over. Thought I'd ask here because you dudes are generally very knowledgable about this stuff!

Edit: And there's always the fear that I break something and don't notice right away, so I end up overwriting my saves and scratching that character completely.

Thinking about it, I'm using sperg, so I could do the perk reset, then console remove the perk points, and change my health/magicka/stamina and level, but would the game actually go by that level from now on? Perhaps if I waited for a bunch of days...

Davoren fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 14, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, the main thing I'm trying to achieve is to effectively have a new character, but one who doesn't have to climb to high hrothgar for the hundredth time, or go to the soul cairn again because whoops vampires are killing everything.

Edit: Yeah the more I look into this the more problems I anticipate, I think I'll look into spicing up the endgame rather than risk breaking something by trying to go backwards, thanks for your input guys!

Davoren fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 14, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Woolie Wool posted:

Familiar Faces. You can set them to wander the world, hang out in a certain location, be your follower, be marriageable, be a random NPC, be an enemy trying to kill you, whatever.

Woah, that sounds awesome, I know I'll start a fresh character eventually, definitely gonna grab this.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Just spent the last little while dicking around with Familiar Faces and Alternate Start, and frankly this is a better answer to my question than the one I came in here seeking. This is why I love this thread!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I think I started to figure it out before I got sidetracked with familiar faces, sperg has the option to refund auto perks as well as chosen ones, so that sorts out that part of it. There is no console command to remove those perk points, but sperg seems to have another setting to get rid of them. I didn't do that, but I did manually set all skills to 15 with the console, and changed my health/magicka/stamina the same way. I then set my level to one, but for some reason it put me up to level 4 right away, maybe it tracked the 15 points in each skill? Either that it it was because I hadn't addressed those extra perk points yet. I may look into it again, but as I said familiar faces is giving me a fresh start without having to say goodbye to old characters. Thanks for your continued input guys!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

GunnerJ posted:

Well, it's not just a matter of story. Everything was so threatening (at one point I had to fake-out a bunch of frost trolls by using the landscape and well-timed sprinting), and I could never stay in one place too long or even sleep because I could wake up to some guys sent to teach my character the last lesson he'll ever get. Once I had a decent set of gear this stopped being a problem.

Yeah, I just started a Bosmer with the 'bandit in the wilds' background, bored of the lame-rear end poo poo my bros in valtheim towers were pulling, I said screw it and decided to become an adventurer. I dodged through Whiterun hold to avoid my pre-existing bounty, and trekked west finding out what a bunch of dickbags non-allied bandits actually are, I took in some word walls while dodging frost trolls, somehow managing to make it to Markarth at the limit of my encumbrance after a bunch of hick dirt farmers let me loose in their mines to clear out Forsworn. I just got roped into finding the Jesus of loving for the Dibellans when all I really wanted to do was steal their statue. :saddowns:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Someone mentioned the TNF remodelled vanilla homes earlier, they looked pretty cool but my load order is getting long, so I made my first foray into using TES5Edit and combined them into a single plugin. I'm going to make sure I haven't done anything which is going to break stuff, but once that's done, if there's interest I can upload it if anyone wants it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I used OBIS for a while but I uninstalled it after getting tired of how ridiculous the damage from those poison using enemies and their skeevers was.

I've been looking at high level enemies but some of the comments make it sound broken in other ways, anyone have any experience with it?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

There's a lot of outdoor/no loading door homes on the nexus that look pretty cool, but I've avoided them because I have vague memories of an npc going through my containers in Fallout 3 and my followers eating all my food in the Lucky 38 in new Vegas. With the number of these kind of homes that are available, I'm guessing that's not actually a problem any more?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

SirDan3k posted:

Man I wish that wasn't going to go vaporware like all giant conversions do.

I don't know man, I have vague memories of people trying to port Daggerfall into Morrowind and we all know what happened to that, but if the Skywind team can keep releasing videos like that, maybe they'll attract the people with the right skills for the job. Looking at Skyrim and New Vegas mods compared to what's come before, I definitely feel like the ability of the community to produce this kind of content for a 3D game has been on a sharp rise the last couple of years, maybe it'll happen.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, I had that, I just drink from my inventory, and slow down the rate of thirst so it doesnt piss me off so much. It's basically no different but whatever!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I want to start a bandit clan using Sokco's Guild Starter, but I need to find a suitable place to set up my HQ, anyone know of any player house mods that would do as a bandit camp? It's hard to locate anything that has room for followers or whatever that isn't a giant retarded palace.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I know the civil war questline has you go take over a bunch of those forts, I've never been back to see if they remain occupied by whichever side you back or if they revert to bandits.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Iretep posted:

Are there any mods that make the whole blood drinking thing while being a vampire a non issue? Can't seem to find any decent blood vial mods on nexus at least.

I'm been using Better Vampires for my bloodsucker, makes the whole experience more interesting, plus you have the option to feed and bottle from both live people and corpses. Doesn't add it's own funky blood bottles either, just uses the blood potions from Dawnguard so no problems about compatability.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

It's mod troubleshootin' time again. Trying to get vanilla warpaints as facepaints for racemenu working, but no matter what I do, the only thing that shows up under bodypaint>texture is 'default'. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh wait I browsed into the textures folder of what got installed and I think it is working! It just doesn't seem to have all the cool ones from the screens that got posted, are they still to be added?

Edit: or maybe I'm thinking of a different mod, whatever!

• Locked thread