Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Does anyone know any good (as in documented, not for linux autists, not a scam, usable in Windows 7) file converters to get .wav or .mp3 files to 22050Hz mono a-Law with an .al ending?

Trying to do some sound modding but it's a total loving wasteland out there.

Audacity won't do it? Try export, save as other uncompressed files, several of those formats can handle a-law. Try raw for the header. You're not going to find a neat converter for "some idiot threw barely encoded audio in a flat file".

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

M_Bison posted:

I have started a new game as EA Pangaea. One of my favourite things to do as them is give dryads N gems and have them seduce with swarm x3 scripted, kills everyone except for SC's/skelespammers. With the not-so-recent seduction nerf it's not as reliable so I need to think of different options.

I went with a N9 Irminsul(disciple game) and am thinking of rolling with conjuratioin first. At level 1 I am casting animals, I get a sick amount of chaff and Pan/Dryad commanders have animal leadership bonus so they don't route as quick. After I am happy with my summons I want to go Alteration for Mother Oak so I can spam more summons and have wooden warriors, swarm and so on. Then Enchantment for Foul Vapors.

The main idea is to have maenad + wolf + animal chaff(maenads berserk -> bring squad morale up) run face first into what the enemy has and eat all the nukes and have my N9 sacred centaurs run in after them and mop up. And maybe some non-cgaff nature summons do some damage too? Later on also buff my dudes with Nature/Earth spells.

Which nature summons are not garbage? Animals seem to be mostly trash. At conjuration 2 the only decent option I see is horned serpents which seem... mostly okay? I guess?(HP 22,att 14,def 7, prot 11, 1 attack)

I can also get a similiar amount of killer mantis at 2x the cost, but I think they are worse unless I wanted mindless chaff? (HP 18, att 13, def 9, prot 10, 2 attacks, mindless).

The Serpents are a lot more cost efficient gems-wise so I am leaning towards them, for the same gem cost I get 44 HP and 2 attacks, on 2 bodies.

I don't think I want to go beyond conjuration 2 early, until I get to Alt-5, unless the conj-3 summons are really loving sweet. I never summon nature stuff, but with N9 it would be a sin not to.

Any pointers for EA Pan? My go-to battle spells will be Howl, Swarm, Foul Vapors most likely.

Vine ogres, especially with an ivy crown equipped. Forest trolls (though they have an upkeep cost), leogryphs but not really, bears if you just need something to draw spells, lamias. Call of the wild can be put to devious uses.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 25, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can't really expect much out of any nature summons without buffing them hard. Mass protection, mass regeneration and antimagic are pretty much required if you're gonna try using them against someone who knows what they're doing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

Isn't Oceania like amphibious and have the equivalent to white centaurs

They have less defense, slower movement = less lance damage, and absolutely absurd encumbrance. Not to mention costing 20% more and lacking a good amphibious priest.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Hanging out on IRC has been proving educational. I have discovered LA ulm with a D3B3 dormant pretender (I like the vampire queen for the theme) to start spamming vampire counts ASAP. Now my issue has moved into fine tuning my opening. I'm really no good at placing units properly or figuring out what an appropriate size for them should be. I've been massing rangers for expansion parties but I feel like maybe 60 rangers is a little overkill. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm also iffy on when to start blood hunting. Should I do it right away so I can get a count out as soon as my pretender wakes up? And should I beeline straight to construction 4 for dowsing rods with LA ulms ridiculous research, or is getting to evo 6 the only option? Also when is the correct time to start recruiting the iron priests over fortune tellers?

Fortune Tellers are cap only, so recruit them all the time unless you need a ghoul commander for undead leadership. Recruit Black Priests from your other forts, especially once you have Iron Blizzard researched. Good luck not dying in year 1 if you rush construction, you need something to win an early war.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, evo research up to and including 7 can can work really well for LA Ulm. A lot of their Fortune Tellers can cast Nether Darts, which is an evil, evil spell. Evo 6 gets you the almighty Iron Blizzard, 5 has Stellar Cascades (good loving luck to anyone trying to raid your research once you get that going) and Shadow Blast. Evo 7 can also let you set Rain of Stones traps if you get creative.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

looks like a job for rain of stones

Don't C'tis dudes tend to have enough protection to mostly shrug that off? I know the tomb chariots have like 15 protection and the summoned priests have 11 and giant-like hp.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diabl0658 posted:

Thats why you cast rain of stones several times

Sounds like you just said "play Vanheim, Man, or TC".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diabl0658 posted:

Dont take blood on a pretender for a blood nation, its a waste of points unless you want a blood bless. Try a regular lich with astral and death magic.

Except it's Ulm and you don't have blood+death on anything else.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

You have not been playing Dominions, then.

It's not like most goon games aren't elaborate setups for fighting AI for 3/4 of the game :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Call of the Winds is pretty decent, any of the metric fucktons of zombies spells if there was a big fight already, enliven gargoyles isn't bad, bone fiends, crossbreeding.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most of your high strength summons are too expensive to be cost effective as siege chaff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eschatos posted:

High strength or flying summons are what you want, so Ogres, Yetis, Vine Ogres, Gryphons, Leogryphs, etc. would likely be most cost effective. Crossbred probably aren't bad either for their sheer numbers.

Call of the Winds summons get siege penalties, and I'm pretty sure mindless units get massive siege penalties.

Unless they changed it, it's just a siege attack penalty for call of the winds. Even with the penalty it's almost as cost effective on offense as pack of wolves with the added benefit of not having to have the caster in the province.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vine ogres might top wolves if you already have ivy crowns handy. Corpseman construction definitely beats it with lightning rods and/or storm spools.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 9, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mist Form? an air gem and Summon Lesser Air Elemental on all your research mages? Rain of Stones if he ever tries to bring blood magic into battle? Phantasmal Warrior/Ghost Wolves spam?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The ai LOVES summoning spells and self buffs, so it should still work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

What spells go "through" mistform and which ones don't and do the minimum amount of damage? *drat Fog Warriors*

Blade Wind? I know this one only does a lot of damage-1 to units.
Shadow Bolt?
Magma Eruption?
Earthquake?
Rain of Stones?
Maws of Earth?
Fireball?
Cold Bolt?

Most of the earth spells don't because they're physical damage. You still have to hit mistform once with magic damage to break it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"We don't understand how our own game works anymore." :psyduck: holy poo poo.

Programming is basically a one man show that's been going on since 2001 or earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if morale was written a decade ago and we already know how bad these guys are at documentation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Enjoy posted:

No anti-Semitism please.

Who said anything about using them against horny giants?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In Mind Hunt's case just don't do it to astral nations unless you like making your own mages retarded.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Or play a monster race that doesn't die instantly to the damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nails posted:

I was curious about something, and I figured this would be the best place to ask. Is there any reason to buy Dominions 3 if you already own Dominions 4? What about Conquest Of Elysium 4 as compared to CoE3? I already own Dom 4, but I don't own CoE 4 or 3, and I noticed all of them but CoE 4 are on sale on Steam today for pretty cheap. I was wondering if either Dom 3 or CoE 3 are worth it or if I should just ignore Dom 3 and wait to scoop up CoE 4 later.

Dom 4 pretty much completely obsoletes Dom 3 unless you find some total grogs to play with. Haven't played much of the CoE games but they're a lot less involved that the Dominions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LA Ulm was my favorite faction in Dom 3 and Dom 4. You get decent priests that are also earth mages and by way of a national spell also moonlight as large antimagic crossbow formations. Astral/blood spies, cheap astral mages that don't need a fort to produce, fortunetellers that give you weak access to basically every kind of magic. One of the best crossbow units in the game, a stealthy one that will gently caress you up with an axe if you try and get in their face. Antitheist ghouls in black plate that murder sacreds with their halberds of no gods no masters. Sacred superheavy cavalry in black plate, the leader of which can often chew up indies on his own. And that's not getting into the vampires and horrors they inevitably summon scores of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jBrereton posted:

LA Aby does it even better - they have an H1 assassin for 1 rec point so you can self bless with some good assassination stuff (Fear is pretty choice)

A few of those bastards in your neighbor's research fort is a good lot of fun, as is the veritable fountain of profanity sure to come from said neighbor.

• Locked thread