Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

amuayse posted:

Arcane Probing Evo 3
Bowl a Blood Blo 2
Haruspex Thau 3
Augury Thau 3
Gnome Lore Thau 4
Auspex Thau 4
Dark Knowledge Con 3
Voice of Apsu Con 4
Voice of Tiamat Con 5
Acashic Knowledge Con 6

All of them require two in their respective paths, except for Dark Knowledge, Bowl of Blood, Arcane Probing (only 1) and Acashic Knowledge (3 astral)

I guess that will mildly slow down the midgame acceleration that happens when people start pouring all their gems into early remote searching because half the time there isnt a better use for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

brainwrinkle posted:

:siren: I've updated the Goon Game Service to be compatible with Dominions 4 :siren: for anyone crazy enough to try multiplayer on the beta. I haven't tested the implementation very thoroughly, so it will probably have some bugs. One aspect that could be particularly bug-prone is nation IDs, since I didn't have a list to look at. I managed to make a decent preliminary list from looking at a few nation ID's from .2h files, but there could definitely be some incorrect ones.

Let me know if you find any bugs/feature requests! Either shoot me a PM or message me on IRC. I can provide my preliminary nation IDs and protocol details on request too.

Oh, I added some new colors too.

What you really need to do is make it so various unit sprits appear flanking each of the games for maximum fun.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Culka posted:

The copper arm is awesome, you can turn your huge chunk of stone pretender into a berserk axe wielding one with it!

:getin:

Game of the Year all years i am sold.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ehh, the Illwinter guys are amazing at making content but they couldn't balance their way out of a Pong clone. So ultimately whatever the game does to gemgens and boosters and spell paths doesn't matter that much as long as it's moddable, because that's where all the changes I'll actually be playing with come from anyways.

My main hope is just that the games moddability expands out so that people arent hacking in new items with the exact same sprites as other ones and so on, i cant wait to see all the cool random events people mix in for various scales, nations and situations.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Is there a way to make sure that commanders stay in a group? I can put commanders under another commander in Conquest of Elysium, but I'm not sure how to achieve the same here.

Ctrl select?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Just bought the game and im currently squealing with joy over the new sprite art it looks fantastic. Going to take a while to get used to the new UI though its actually giving me a headache due to the size and making me feel a little sick.

Also noticing little things like there always seems to be mercenaries on turn one now and how you can no longer alchemise some extra gold at the start as a nation with fire or earth access + a mage to squeeze out some more units.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Please tell me there is some way to make elements of the UI bigger, the tiny tiny unit trait icons and such are doing my head in and im still getting headaches and nausea from playing the game, if the UI was just a little bigger it would be amazing.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Kenlon posted:

AI is, and will always be, terrible. Multiplayer is the way this game can be good.

Yeah theres pretty much zero chance of the AI ever being able to utilise all of the mechanics in an efficient way let alone be able to respond to the billion billion small counters you can make.

e: Ooh im loving new little changes like heat is setting grass on fire as well as other fire spells, the area around where these abysian indies started is all scorched black.

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 7, 2013

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I was always really impressed with your arco sprites they're beautifully done.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah the only success i had in my earlier games was through blind luck more than anything you're gonna get your butt kicked but its a fun kicking.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Zurai posted:

free points from heat scale (or at least so the description says; the heat scale in the pretender setup doesn't seem to think so), casters with

Temp scales now start at the optimum for a nation rather than neutral so you cant get a bunch of free points as hot or cold nations now.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Oh jesus that is big, time to cast skeletal body on all my thugs.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Im down to be a disciple.

e: Just signed up as Jomon

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 12, 2013

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
GG guys game was fun, also Wya has good taste in music.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Starting forts feeling obnoxiously hard to crack for anyone else?

No idea how Mictlan, for example, is going to deal with it.

Mictlan can levy slaves but yes the inflation in basic defence scores feels quite odd and makes early game aggression a little harder i guess with the amount of stuff needed to crack a fort.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Lilli posted:

Pretty sure the animal siege penalty is just a thing people made up.

I thought the animal siege penalty was that they dont contribute/reduced contribute to fort defence

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Big Sean posted:

EA Mictlan is also all palisades.

:stare: A m-mictlan n-nerf???

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Christ i didnt loving know this detail about this stupidly complex and impenetrable game. Sorry.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Tulip posted:

We could try to resurrect SADASS and see if a draft group fucks up so bad that somebody gets Divine Throne + Jaguar Warriors.

e: Again. I just wanted to double check that that is what Fleur Bleu did. F9A9W9E9S9 was a truly excessive bless.

I think it was 4 major bless' F9W9A9E9 and then N4 maybe? And got lucky and found a flame shield from a random event turning one of the ponymen into a butchering machine.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ahahah wow its more beautiful that my memory could handle.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

How are u posted:

I can't wait to see what kind of awesome ideas people come up with for unique summons and things like that. It's going to be...awesome :haw:

First order of business should be immediately replacement of the sprite for the demon lord of lust because Totally-Not-A-Baal isnt gonna cut it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

wshngmchn posted:

I'm trying to learn Mictlan, but I have to assume all of the guides out there might be outdated.

From what I understand, in Dom 3 a decent approach would have been to get good bless, good dominion, poor scale; buy Jaguar Warriors and national priests; place forts rather quickly; eventually start trading income for blood; jade knives, brazen vessels, Ozelotls, etc.

Is that still basically how they work? I've tried out the early game against the AI several times, and most of that still seems to apply but poor scale early forts make it hard to expand and defend. I always end up with very little land/income.

I havent had a chance to try them out but i think the only real difference is now instead of trading income for blood slaves you trade patrol time, but with mictlans ability to levy slave warriors you could probably get a decent patrol force up for free.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

This game is really hard, I've been toying against the AI (I really like the Dawn Map) and I am desperately trying to make Caelum work for me with a Virtue pretender but it just sucks :( People here keep saying that only multiplayer is real fun though so how does it work exactly? What are average turn times?

24 hour periods generally but depending on timezone distribution and how busy people are the first few turns can go nice and fast, eventually the timer can be extended at the lategame to give more time or if people need it due to life events.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Helheim is excellent, Ulm varies between good (LA Ulm), alright, ish (EA Ulm), and terribad other than at indie bashing (MA Ulm). Agartha is probably the worst nation in every single age it inhabits :v:

As someone playing Helheim right now out of nostalgia i can only say i wish i wasnt playing Helheim.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
"GAME C'tis miasma do not affect sacred troops or pretender"

Where was this when i needed it :(.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

TheDemon posted:

after I heard that this happened to you and also others in #dom4goons I bug reported it and got a dev response that they'll look at it, so the change is a direct result of you getting screwed by it before :)

Aww <3 :3:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Ive had the game permamuted ever since i got bored with the new music.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Is this what hell sounds like.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Those event chains are a new thing yeah with various endings possible i think such as finding the grove dead and not getting the free mage.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
This province better be worth it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
All of them are slowly starving to death so by the time you got master enslave there would be maybe 2-3 left.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
9 is all you'd ever really need unless you really really really REALLY want master enslave to penetrate.

10 Points is just going to be too expensive and just isnt worth the hit to your scales/dominion/sleepyness

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 8, 2013

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I guess maybe you could pray for Astral/Fire randoms on your servants of the oracles.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Not worth it with the percentage based forge gone with flat number replacing it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah it lacks synergy between its features as well, yeah you get +1 to forge paths but you cant really get a good efficienct use of the forge discount on bigger base cost items. Its still great if you need it to access those sorts of things but yeah.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

The enlarge item only works on size 4 or less and I wouldn't be surprised if the spell was the same way.

No ive seen the spell used on larger things to get them up to size 5 or 6 though i doubt anything goes up to 7.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah the old blood vengance was exceptionally rare i dont think many units had it at all of which the vast majority were national summons.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Im playing EA Arco atm and not having a super combatant god as the pretender for my team is hurting me really hard, if you come up against any sort of actually decent troops like W9 bless ermor/tien chi/vanheim like me then you struggle to really put out anything at all that can match them without heavy mage support.

Wind Riders i have found to be equivalent to throwing giant sacks of gold at the enemy they do little to nothing.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah thats what ive been doing stolen 2 bless casters so far and killed a noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dai Oni are summonable, not recruitable, and cost a fortune. (55 death gems IIRC.)

45 or so but they're still Conjuration 8 so by that point you've got far better things to spend them on unless you dont feel like playing the tart lottery.

• Locked thread