Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
I did some modding back in the day but burned out back. I'm getting back into the fray now and updating my mods to dom4. I recall in the previous thread someone mentioned that they had a miserable time against my warhammer dwarf mod because their castles were too hard to siege due to national siegedef bonuses. I'm going to lower them for dom4. I was just wondering if anyone else can recall their experiences and give suggestions for fixes and the like. Goons probably did not bother to report them in the dom3mods forums. If you don't want to poo poo up the thread you can e-mail me at (insert my username here)@hotmail.com

My mods are/were
EA Alugra
MA Bretonnia
MA Dwarfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
I don't recall any real blatant rock/paper/sciccors mechanics in dominions. Flails get a hidden +2 bonus to attack against shields. There are a lot of hard-counters in the spell department (like arrow fend against archers), but I can't think of any in the troop department.

High damage units (greatsword humans, giants) are good against high protection. High encumberance units are sometimes good to counter with chaff, especially battle summon spam (swarm, raise skeletons). Dual wielders clear chaff and low protection HP sponges well. Shielded units are good against missiles.

There usually are few units in a nation that are obviously best for expanding and thus most used, but it helps to pay attention to what units the enemy is wielding.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
I think that you cannot kill yourself with spell fatigue, you will just go to 200 fatigue. Slaves however can die.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
EA Ermor gets a H4 hero (Primate), MA Marignon has one (Cardinal, I think?), LA C'tis has one (First King) and so does Bogarus.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

goatface posted:

Is there a big list of all the thrones anywhere?

Some dude collected a lot of them in this thread

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1704&st=0

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

Dirk the Average posted:

I remember hearing that autosummoned stuff no longer counts for HP routing, but I've never confirmed it.

JK said that autosummons should only count 50% of their hp for autorout.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
So yeah. I did a thing where I updated the "Worthy Heroes" mod to dom4. It was long time ago assimilated into CBM, but llamabeast asked me to update the hero portion to dom4. It basically adds more heroes, especially to nations that have few of them and beefs weak heroes, especially the human "almost-thug" heroes.

Download, hero list and other further detail in the desura thread.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/worthy-heroes

If you want to contribute heroes, or hero ideas. Use the thread or fire me up in IrC.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

brainwrinkle posted:

Can any Dominions modding experts tell me if it is possible to make an All Agartha mod (where every nation is Agartha)? Because I will totally put an All Agartha game up if that is feasible.

I think it is possible. People had all MA Ulm or only markata games in the past. There are few hurdles you have to go through (make every nation a different flag, otherwise the map gets really confusing) and you need to create copies of the national heroes for each nation.

People on IrC should help you get started.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure of this but I think you could also play on a modded map that has those seal sites sprinkled in. And I think those too could perhaps be broken. Maximum brakage.

Burnsaber fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 14, 2013

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
There is a bug in the current version where mindless units do not get their siege defense penalty. This probably makes ermor a pain in the butt.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

MagnumOpus posted:

With the sale today I finally managed to convince a bunch of my friends to pick up this game but half of them don't have SA accounts so I guess GGS is out for us. I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the other options (Dom4Minions, Llamaserver, etc) and the hosting script pastebin in the OP is dead. Is anyone familiar with them that can compare their features and ease of use?

Here is a FAQ on how to use the llamaserver. I like llamaserver, but that might just be due to 4 years of conditioning. http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1890

There is probably one for dom4minions but I don't use it myself so it would take effort to dig it out.

EDIT: you might want to make sure that all of you have upgraded to 4.04 before sending pretenders, or odd things might happen!

Burnsaber fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 8, 2014

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

Libluini posted:

Just a question: If there are, by some weird modding-related chance, more then one of the same nation in a game, how do you find out which one borders you?

I mean, just theoretically, what if you have two MA Oceania in a game, with identical flags of course and one of them borders you? Do you send a message to both of them and hope no-one is lying? Is there some kind of method to find out which one of the players is the one close to you without sending weird messages like "do you have a border with me"?

Change the mod so that one of the Oceanias has a new flag. Is it a mp game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

Flython posted:

Are there any VLPs of Dominions 4 that people would recommend? I've greatly enjoyed the SSLPs on this site but I'd love to see the game in motion to better appreciate what playing it is actually like before I take the plunge.

Like mentioned Maerlande did some videos for dom4. He is rather good MP player and talks mostly about stragedy. http://www.youtube.com/user/Maerlande2/videos

There is Marcus Aurelius dude who did this sort of tutorial LP for dom4. He seems to avoid the common pitfalls of youtube LP's. No shrieking and no constant rape jokes. He's not the best player though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMIQfYIkrjA

• Locked thread