Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
MA Tur, pre-Ragha and presumably post-Ur, unless Ur and Tur are not actually related despite seeming like they would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they're all moving from different provinces, they'll hit simultaneously, yes. Anything that's attempting to break the siege from inside would attack in a separate phase, however. Magic attacks also happen in a separate phase but trying to teleport your guys onto a fort of yours that's being sieged will just drop them into your fort; depending on your goal this can be good or bad really.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 10, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flavahbeast posted:

Are you sure this is true? I thought siege breaking units joined the attack with units moving in from outside provinces, but I haven't actually played dom in a while

I might be wrong here actually; I know storming takes place in a later phase, but the turn order chart I've seen is unclear as to whether breaking a siege happens in that phase or the movement one.

IRC is leaning towards the latter though there's been a bit of confusion there too. It's probably movement though, so they would meet up with people moving in from outside, come to think of it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 10, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's how that will happen. Breaking sieges combines with movement battles, and then if they aren't knocked off and planned to storm the fort that turn they'll storm after that battle.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

akulanization posted:

Fourth, you have no national priests outside of the capital and no leaders with more than 80 leadership period (and the 80 leadership guy is cap only). I don't know if it is intentional, but you end up completely reliant on your Sith Masters and indy commanders to lead and bless your armies. I think they need a noncap priest, and it feels off that a nation so alien to the dominions world has average guys with swords as its primary leaders.

All else aside, this is more an issue with Dominions than anything; you pretty much never want to recruit non-mages from forts, and mages tend to be awful leaders, so you have indie leaders commanding your armies, regardless of your nation. Unless you need magic or undead leadership or you're one of the nations whose mages are actually good at leading armies, your armies of werewolves, elves, winged humanoids, lava people, monsters, or whatever other crazy things you have will still be led by some dude with a sword.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 17, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDemon posted:

Magic Duel is useful in three general situations:
1. When you want to kill one specific astral mage dead, like a pretender. In which case you throw as many S1s at it as you can.
2. When you have something that specifically survives losing a duel. Immortal S mages. Turkey mages (does this still work?).
3. When your astral greatly exceeds the enemy's and you can snipe several low-astral mages for the cost of a handful of ungeared mid-astral mages. Eg, the enemy has all S1s and you have noncap S3s (very rare).

In the case where you throw a poo poo ton of low S mages at a low/mid S communion, that would be an attrition tactic, but not one that will necessarily win a battle.

Second shapes apparently die now if they take enough damage that the leftover exceeds the second shape's HP as well, so no more immortal turkeys. I think it can also result in things like skipping multiple elemental forms if there's enough damage, etc. Probably a good change for the most part, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favorite (and thus far, only) use of Magic Duel was against Monkee's pretender in EASucks. His god was an F9E4S2 (or something like that) Statue of War. I was expecting him to teleport it into a fort I was about to take from him, and I knew I couldn't kill it via normal methods, so I moved my own god, an E5S6 Shedu, onto it the turn before I stormed in and had it prepped to cast Magic Duel. I predicted correctly, and, as a four level S difference gives the one with a higher path a 91.7% chance of outright winning (and a 5.5% chance of both dying, for a 97.2% chance of killing the other god overall), I felt pretty sure my plan would work. And it did; lobotomized his god turn one, proceeded to take the fort. Still have it, despite his efforts to change that.

Sadly I think that was the high point of the game for me and I wish it was over.

But, yeah, if your path difference is overwhelming (six levels or more higher guarantees victory, five guarantees the death of the other subject with only a 2.8% chance of your caster dying as well, and four levels over is a >90% chance of survival and such as I described above) you can gamble on winning it pretty safely, though as opposed to TheDemon's above examples this is something of an edge case, as this generally requires you to have a high S god and something worth deploying it against that is low S (so, probably not another god, since people will generally take either no S or high S on gods) that you can't easily kill otherwise. And you need to remember that only natural/empowered S levels count; boosters don't make your Magic Duels more powerful. Still, having math on your side is very, very nice for Magic Duel.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the reason the carpet lets you fly is that it does not actually grant flying; rather, it grants "flying transport", which is strategic movement like flying, but does not have any of the other benefits like patrolling, instant movement in combat, etc. The artifact flying ship thing probably does the same.

Anyway, that game was fun at first, at least. I learned a lot during it, too, and did alright I think for it being my first game since coming back to Dom4.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Etalommi posted:

And fear. He doesn't usually manage to kill many dudes, but eventually they get too intimidated by his not dying that they run away and he wins.

Well, his not dying, and his eating one person a round or so.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The luck change was big too; 80% (or 75% or whatever) chance of surviving a would-be fatal blow instead of just ignoring 50% of any hit is a significant nerf, especially since some thugs/SCs could thus get down into HP rout territory before they even have a chance of triggering the new luck.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The proper* way to counter blood is to buff the Kindly Ones so that their appearance is an almost guaranteed death sentence and they can't just be killed with Leech. Burden of Time and Armageddon spam hurt everyone, and the latter comes online way, way later than a lot of the Blood things it would like to stop.

*Not necessarily good or smart, but probably really funny, at least to me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I used to run a mod that pushed AC to 9, increased the cost to 266 base, pushed Bot to 7, decreased the range on horror sending spells and increased their cost but people preferred vanilla so I stopped using it.

Increase the cost to 666 base, clearly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Koth posted:

The real issue with this is that Ragha has no native purchaseable casters with E access. So at best he might have his pretender with a decent bit of Earth, otherwise you're relying on getting randoms. Some of their summons have decent E paths, but you're looking at a minimum of Conj 6 and a shitload of pearls to bring them into play - and it's a random selection between several non-unique choices, only one of which has E. Might be easier to just get to Evoc 7 and empower a few Seraphs to E1 to use Rain of Stones instead.

Alternatively, Fire Storm them if you don't have the E gems for empowerment.

It's Nazca, not Ragha here. Nazca has decent Earth access, though admittedly RoS would be better than EQ if possible.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Z the IVth posted:

How would I protect my own casters from RoS? Decent chance that they would get squashed by a rock when I cast it.

Mistform before you RoS since you are using A mages and all, or Fog Warriors if you have a bunch of mages and other units. Body Ethereal works too though it's not perfect. Or one of the mitigation methods listed. Or Cheat Fate; if you can cram an S mage into the same square, the S mage can Cheat Fate, then the RoS caster drops rocks, with both of them being protected from the rocks by Cheat Fate, repeat as necessary.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could also mix them, since stacked fear auras overlapping with awe units probably works pretty well. They're not the most efficient summons either way, but it'd be pretty cool at least.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Adding "mystery" to a game that isn't about mystery (such as, say, a strategy game) is just going to result in people asking other people what things do or looking it up while being really frustrated. There are games that sort of thing works in, but Dominions is not one of them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The scales pictures are still in the game, just hidden away in a little in-game menu. Also, a blessing is a gift from your god to their subjects; it'd be kind of weird for them to bless themselves, after all. It's probably a thing along the same lines as why they won't build temples to themselves but have someone else do it for them.

That said, unless they changed it, disciples, which use "lesser" pretender chassis, do receive their god's blessing, so you can have fun with that in a disciples game if you ever play one of those.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jsoh posted:

you can get research level 10 tho. thats not unresearchable

If someone manages to pull off getting to research 10, they deserve to cast BoT, and the rest of the world deserves to suffer under it for letting them get into a position they could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would getting rid of Blood as a tree and putting its spells all over the other trees as appropriate (summons in Conjuration, etc.) make Blood nations stronger or weaker? At first I was thinking that it'd make it so that they don't get so much from one single tree, but then they could get non-Blood spells at the same time, so, I'm not sure. It might vary based on the nation in question, I suppose, what Blood spells they want and what other spells they would like in the same trees.

Obviously wouldn't fix Blood as a whole, but it seemed like it might help a little. And it seems weird that all Blood magic is in one thing, so you can summon crazy demons but not the most basic of ordinary summons.

...And now I have an idea that's sadly beyond the scope of modding and stuff: Blood magic as a research tree not unlocking anything on its own, but rather all Blood spells requiring a certain level of a normal school and Blood research. So Father Illearth would require Conj 8 and Blood 8, for example; one or the other but not both and you can't get him. It seems to both make sense lore-wise (you need to understand both the kind of magic you're doing and have detailed knowledge of the intricacies of blood magic) and be a way to slow Blood nations down or at least make them put in a little more effort for the ridiculous power they get.

Edit: Yes, I know that research is far from the biggest problem with Blood. I'm just saying some ideas I had.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 5, 2017

• Locked thread