Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm speechless, that was absolutely incredible. Unless there were some clever edits, that was a 10+ minute continuous shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Someone linked an article that explained the entire process but yeah there were quite a few very clever edits. Whenever they go outside or down to the basement it's a visual effect edit.

Ah. Yeah after re watching I can tell how they did the edits. I guess I should have figured that anyway since the exterior shots are not the interior bar set. Still a very awesome sequence though, playing out in real time you can really feel then intensity of it. Plus a stellar performance by Charlie Day.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought maybe Dennis was sweaty and crazy at the end because of the carbon monoxide? But not sure if that makes much sense.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you're interested in the technical aspects of the tracking shot:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/how-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-made-its-unintended-birdman-homage

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Dennis's face turned bright red as he was yelling at the ski dude. Glen is really a great actor and Dennis being completely off the deep end has been absolutely hilarious. I loved that this episode examined how detached from reality the gang has become that they literally have no one else. Frank didn't even see anything wrong with what he did to the other bar.

Although am I wrong, or has there been a bizarro version of the gang on the show before?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Dennis System posted:

This was a good episode, but when the episode first started and they were making meta jokes about how the gang has gotten more and more crazy and less realistic over the years, and then they started talking about how they were going to leave the gang and get less crazy and become more normal, I started to get excited at the idea that when everyone left the gang their behavior would make a real radical change and that this episode might be the start of a two or three episode run where everyone started to act like real, normal people and not absurd in any way. This was a completely crazy thing for me to think, because of course they wouldn't do that, for a million different reasons, not the least of which is that if they did act like normal people, the show wouldn't even be a comedy anymore. But still, as crazy as that idea was, it excited me. And I think the reason it excited me is because, as good as the show still is, I've been watching the same characters do the same basic stuff for years and years, and no matter how good it is, the characters just can't have the same impact they used to have, and the idea of these characters and the tone of the show becoming drastically different was, at least in some part of my mind, something refreshing and new and exciting. And even though something like that would never work, I still felt a little depressed that everything went back to the way it was at the end of the episode. When the episode started I felt as if a cage that was around my mind had been lifted, and I got a sense of true freedom that I'd never even knew existed before, and when the episode ended, I felt like the cage had snapped back into place. That all comes off as way too dramatic, I still like the show a lot and will keep watching it, but I really did have those bizarre feelings.

I agree that it would have been cool to see this over a 2-3 episode story arc, but we did get a condensed arc in this episode - they attempted to act normal and found that they simply can't and need each other to function.

Also the characters haven't exactly been static. Even though it's due to change in tone and writing more than as intentional character arcs, we've seen them go from relatively normal people to completely batshit insane.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone else have trouble introducing new people to this show? A problem I run into is that the first season and change isn't that great, so anyone starting there will probably think there isn't anything special about the show. But if you start with a random episode, I find that people don't really get it, which I can kind of see because a lot of the humor comes from being very familiar with the characters and style of the show. I've heard from more than one person that they tried to watch but didn't like it because "it's just a bunch of angry yelling."

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 1, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

what kind of people are you trying to introduce the show to lol, "i dont get it" is something i have never heard from anyone whether they like the show or not.

Probably some of my friends have lame taste in TV. But I also think that the mean spirited, cynical humor, and the fact that the main characters are bad and insane doesn't click for people who are used to normal, warm live action sitcoms.

Nichael posted:

I thought the show was brilliant from the moment I saw the introduction sequence was entirely night time shots, and instantly "got it". It's a subtle joke, but it's kind of a great wordless introduction to the dark mayhem of the It's Always Sunny.

:aaaaa: wow, I can't believe I never caught on to that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
jeez were we watching the same episode? I haven't laughed this hard in a while. This was exactly as fun as I thought it would be.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I rewatched the episode and now I see where the complaints about Dennis come from. The antics from the rest of the gang are pretty fun here, but Dennis just brings it down. This season they are obviously establishing that he has totally cracked, but it should have been excluded here, or at least an angry outburst instead.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with all of this, I just think that it should have been left out or not received so much spotlight in an episode that's supposed to be just a little slice of fun. I can't really even complain though since I still enjoyed the episode a lot.

I hope they actually do have a payoff for his descent into madness and depression and I have a strong feeling that they do.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if his face turning red that fast and veins showing was edited or real.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Yes, but I think the quality has dipped since the end of season 2. Though for every meh episode theres also a great one.

Lol what? No. Not at all. The quality has arguably not even dipped and we're in season 10. After season 2?? The show didn't even fire on all cylinders until season 3!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Oh. Well gently caress!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think The Gang Hits the Slopes and Mac & Dennis Move to the Suburbs sound the most promising. I can picture Dennis getting intensely obsessed with banal suburb stuff.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So is who won open to interpretation? As Charlie passes out, it appears that he won. So Dennis and Dee are either lying to Charlie to keep up their winning streak, or Charlie was hallucinating.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this show is turning into a caricature of itself.

You can choose to see it that way, or you can see it as a culmination of years of narricistic, sociopathic behavior which has made the gang go from a fairly normal group of friends to batshit insane, who need and thrive off each other because nobody else can tolerate them.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad that the guy wasn't actually from Mattel because it saved us the predictable "oh my god, you guys are insane! *storms out*" scene.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression that Frank basically gave him a script to follow.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
the only episode I can think of that I wouldn't want to watch again is The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell. I appreciate the ambition of it, but it just didn't work for me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I'm going BALD?!

Glenn Howerton's rage acting is absolutely incredible. You actually see his face turn red and veins bulge out.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A scheme to prove that modern art is meaningless seemed a little trope-y and uninspired for this show. And yeah it definitely needed to be a little longer, or ditch the arbitrary thing about Dennis and his school librarian. Charlie's act wasn't funny to me.

Side note, I totally thought this was going to be called "Dee Made a Snuff Film" ... I mean who says "smut film?"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wanna say the joke was that he was memorized by it when he thought it was "real art" aka worth a lot of money and picked out by valued art critics, but suddenly didn't even want it when he found out she was faking it. If it was really about the content of the painting then he probably would have still wanted it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm extremely excited for tomorrow's episode. I feel like there's a lot of untapped potential in juxtaposing Mac and Dennis against the banality of the suburbs. It could go either way though, if it's just a bunch of "lol the suburbs are lame!" jokes then meh, but if they either get engulfed in the suburb mentality or become the rare instance where they are the straight man to crazy neighbors then it could be great.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This didn't go in the direction I thought it would (I pictured Mac and Dennis being the "straight man" for once to quirky suburb people) but I loved this. Whoever made the comparison to Ren and Stimpy is spot on. The hardest laugh for me was the jump cut to the dog's grave.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

How do they get away with a 17 minute episode? That's extremely short.

There were a couple of awkward cuts and edits too where there shouldn't have been. This seems like it was a little rushed. It was still great and a blast to watch, though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If I had one complaint about this episode besides the length it's that it's a little weird for Frank to not know their names. I know it was mostly for fun, he was drugged for most of the episode, and you aren't supposed to think heavily about it, but he isn't senile like this portrayed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well that was pretty drat dark, even for Sunny, and yeah its basically a cartoon now, but whatever, I still think it works even if its quite a bit different from the earlier seasons of the show.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WrightOfWay posted:

It's clearly a joke about pointless apps in general.

and data mining and complex payment methods

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you want any of the gang to actually die? That's depressing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like this took Dennis a little too far. "The implication" works if he doesn't specifically point out the circumstances but in this situation he spelled it all out for her. Fortunately the bit was still funny because of the excuse of the storm making it sound sinister.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm more bothered that they ruined the joke (caaaaaalllllbaaaacks and fan service) by actually saying the word "implication" instead of just expounding on the idea of it

Yeah. The joke went from being a hosed up but plausible thought a pick up artist might have to a full on threat. You could argue that Dennis has just become so unhinged that he doesn't even bother making the "implication" come naturally anymore. But it was mostly just an overdone attempt at a callback.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
At first I wasn't sure what to take from this episode, but now I feel like this was a satire on "box episodes" because they still didn't really get closer or learn a whole lot about each other. Although the scene of them holding hands underwater might be the first time an emotional moment on the show was played straight, even if it was followed by jokes as they swam to the top.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

The Waitress Needs A Printer

We need to send them the original post - it's perfect

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This would have been phenomenal if they had black actors portraying the gang the whole time rather than just in their reflections. Instead it just came across as overly safe and cautious. I didn't hate it and I'm glad they're still willing to take risks, but I agree with whoever said the season opener shouldn't be an experimental episode.

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress y'all, this was the funniest episode in years. But it wouldn't have worked without it being a musical.

I actually think it did hurt the episode. The Quantum Leap aspect was already enough of a concept to carry an episode, placing a 70's musical parody on top of that made it bloated.

I also agree with those who thought the songs didn't really land. Bob's Burgers and South Park do amazing musical parody numbers, so maybe I'm just spoiled by them, but the songs in this felt like quick drafts or something, can't really put my finger on it but the "lyrics on top of old MIDI" comparison seems accurate. Plus the fact that the gang except Kaitlin can't really sing just made it a little grating, like yes that's probably the joke, but still.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I just watched The Mick, and, I dunno, it seems pretty generic to me. Generic for the modern sitcom landscape, I mean. It's not bad at all, but I can't say I'd care about it if Kaitlin wasn't in it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It would be awesome if "Abby" appeared again, but I don't think this show will ever commit to any sweet or emotional moments, just quick glimpses of them.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What could he do? She was probably already gone. If anything he was in awe of how good she was at it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised they can get away with 17 minute episodes. I thought they were obligated to be around 22 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The early seasons really do seem like improv though because of how they frequently go off on tangents that build into shouting matches, so its an understandable question.