Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

My parents aren't old enough for it to be an issue yet, but I've told them flat out between myself and my sister they'd have a ride anywhere at anytime if they ever want to stop driving. Neither of them are really passionate about driving, but the whole giving up your license thing has to be a two way street. You can't just remove someone's mobility without providing a substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I don't have a smartphone and somehow I haven't fallen into a well or been branded with a scarlet letter due to being out of contact for an hour or so. I honestly don't get how the compulsion is strong enough to risk wrecking your car/self.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

You Am I posted:

From the looks of this top down photo of the intersection, no.

Some nice metal bollards (especially the ones that pop out of the ground) would fix that situation quickly

I read this page from the bottom up and my first thought was 'some shitbird is going to try driving on that if it isn't blocked,' scrolled up and sure enough, shitbirds in formation.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The mentality when hearing horns/screeching tires is 'well it couldn't possibly have been anything I did, so gently caress YOU.'

Also, STR I don't know if it's the city or what but you are a goddamn magnet. If anyone can justify a lifted F250 it's you. Maybe if the idiots on the road see bullbars and a pizza sign they'll behave.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 5, 2014

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

The emissions, however...

Just be careful not to feed them large quantities of Beefarino.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Well yeah that's why nobody stops, if you do you'll just get rear ended! I wonder if a roundabout would make that intersection safer more entertaining?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Neat, so I can start robbing people and if it goes a bit wrong I can just say 'it's a prank!' and everyone will laugh and help me up. For extra credibility I can have a friend walk in with a 'camera' and back my story!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

Owner was saying it took off into the store

It's a good thing it was a Toyota, otherwise it'd be the driver's fault!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Yesterday I passed a brodozer doing 65 and towing a trailer only marginally larger than a Radio Flyer wagon. While passing, I suddenly noticed my car was being pelted by chunks of rubber flying off the trailer's tire, it was completely flat. I briefly thought about trying to honk or something to alert the driver, but he had already let me know passing him was a threat to his manhood and sped up to try to keep me out of his lane. Instead I simply accelerated a little more and smiled as I continued on with no fucks given.

What's nice about compensationmobiles is between the terrible tune, shoddy build quality and ridiculous suspension/tires they go like a wet fart and handle even worse. Nothing better than hearing them kickdown and drone fruitlessly while you pass them going up a hill. Plus, for all their bravado they're not going to risk damaging those tires, they've still got 6 months until they're paid off!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

anonumos posted:

I could have gotten Angry Jeep Guy out of that rut in one go. Idiot was just tromping on the gas and yanking the wheel to the left when he could have cruised right back onto the blacktop. I used to drive Mk2 Jettas with bald summer tires in Maine winters, no problem. And when I bought a '01 Cherokee Sport with proper tires, nothing stopped me.

I'm sure the camera guy and all of the people he 'gently caress you'd' along the way would have helped him get out of that ditch if he asked and didn't act like a spoiled two year old who broke his new toy. I wish him luck with his future ulcers and heart disease.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I never realized how badly people maintain their speed until I got cruise control. Set it at 68 and people seem to switch between 55 and 90 as quickly as physics allows, with no provocation or reason.

I wonder if they show up at dealerships complaining about brake wear and lovely fuel economy.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

If it took you "until I got cruise control" YOU were one of those people.

Nope, I had no problem maintaining a set speed without CC (especially with the handy exhaust-leak tachometer), it just becomes more noticeable when instead of lifting my foot without thinking I'm hitting an actual button.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

revmoo posted:

Police departments are almost totally revenue-driven at this point.

Armored personnel carriers and riot gear aren't cheap you know.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

If only they actually taught that to us as kids.

Back then it was all "do whatever you want! follow your dreams, if you work hard you can accomplish anything!"

Not once did any adult, teacher or otherwise bring up the issue of cost of living, the daily commute, or quality of life. Granted a kid may not really listen because without a frame of reference they won't understand what all of that really means, but some of it would have sunk in and maybe they'd go into their adult life a little more prepared for what things are like.

I learned far more about life and its "joys" through stand-up comedians than through school. To be fair, the backs of cereal boxes are also ahead of school in that metric. I did learn how to bullshit though, I guess that's an important life skill.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

Here's a definite :nms: :nws:

http://imgur.com/gallery/FkZVPSl

Not sure if trying to play real life frogger or commit insurance fraud, either way, as they say "he ded"

Either way, if he hasn't claimed it from that hit he's certainly in the running for a Darwin Award.

e: Guy wearing trackpants, with a wingman, in Russia jumping in front of cars. I think we know what the goal was.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 9, 2015

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Just do what I do and pretend your odometer is keeping count of all the fucksticks you come across. They may not be doing something stupid now, but the odometer knows and counts them all the same.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Also mandatory retesting every 5 years.

I've always said this is an excellent idea. Make it 10 since the DMV can barely keep the lights on anyway. I've ridden with and some drivers who would have about a 50/50 chance of passing the joke of a road test at any given time, and that's not even considering some of our more mature friends on the road.

80 in the fast lane, a oval office hair from the guy in front, unable to read road signs without glasses which are of course not being worn. It was a fun time, for sure. :psyduck:

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 7, 2015

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

wolrah posted:

but it's banned forever with no reason attached. They didn't respond when I asked about it.

Well of course they're not going to signal

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsZ6Fwdpo0

Always respect your elders, giving them a wide berth.

e: vvv It's from the China.jpg thread in gibbis, the comments say it's an 80+ year old man driving to the hospital to get meds. Or maybe he works for the hospital and is drumming up business.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 5, 2015

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I got called a prick by some middle-aged overcompensator on a road bike for stepping onto a crossing and causing him to brake sharply. Go gently caress yourself bicycle guy, red light means stop.

Cut the green wire to defuse the bomb. Do not cut the red wire. You must be certain you're cutting the GREEN wire.

*explosion*

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I think it's because by and large, when people are put in charge of a vehicle they become selfish, arrogant, careless dicks regardless of how many wheels it has or what's powering it. And if they're not, someone else will turn them into one through attrition.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Uthor posted:

Almost got rear ended by a semi. There were two left turn lanes and he was in the right one. I was in the go straight lane behind another car. I noticed that the semi was going straight instead of turning about half way through the intersection, so accelerated to avoid getting side swiped (I was about even with his cab by this point). It would have been fine except the car in front just then stopped to turn into the Portillo's (mmm, Portillo's). Heard the semi lock up his brakes behind me before I had a chance to pull away.

Saw a UPS semi on the inside lane of an offramp casually drift into the outside lane then whoopsie back into his lane! This is the same offramp (Albany, I-87 to I-90) where I've seen trucks either panic-swerve onto the branch leading to the toll road or off of it. Sometimes they choose the third option, just stop in one of the lanes with their signal on, waiting. Then there's the truck that got stuck trying to go under a narrow railroad bridge at the bottom of a hill. After depositing a piece of fairing onto the road he threw it in reverse and snake-wiggled his way back up the hill into a T-intersection, stopping traffic in all directions.

I've learned to give these Emmy award winners a wiiiiiide berth or pass them as soon as it's safe. I always thought truckers were generally safer drivers, are hiring standards getting lower for some of these companies?

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 19, 2015

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I always use my parking brake because whenever my neighbor set her brake it sounded like the car was farting to 28 5 year old me and it is was hilarious. That's my parking brake story, thanks for reading.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

GutBomb posted:

How about you drive with your hands and not text while driving?

Yeah I'll just get fired for not responding to my boss' joke of the day texts in a timely manner some of us have to work for a living out here

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Is this considered reckless driving or littering?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Out of all the people in both of those long lines during this excruciatingly long wait, nobody called the cops? They're obstructing the road, if one or both can't handle that intersection give them a ride to the station and impound the car, they obviously shouldn't be driving. Is this one of those collective madness things and everyone just temporarily lost the ability to reason? Were the cops also stuck in traffic?

Maybe it would have been easier to Noriega them out by having everyone play this song as loud as possible on their phones while standing next to the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMnfD5IJHA

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

How do people consistently gently caress train crossings up? Trains aren't exactly new and unfamiliar technology. They aren't very stealthy or unpredictable either, especially when the conductor is (probably) laying on the very loud horn.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Cage posted:

Do you really think your time is more valuable than the 20+ cars behind you?

Yes, they do, unequivocally and without a hint of remorse.

e: If we're posting Louis CK driving bits, this one's dead-on and plays devil's advocate to the previous one somewhat. I've even caught myself wishing the worst slow, painful deaths on "that fucker" who just shoves his car through everyone's life. What the hell causes that? I'm genuinely curious, I don't wish arrest and financial ruin on someone weaving through foot traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 23, 2016

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

"Ok, go to the back of your car. It's the bit with the tailpipe. A tailpipe is a small metal tube that smells funny when the car is running. Read all of the words on the b-....take a picture of all of the words on the back and send it to me."

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

kastein posted:

My commute this morning was GREAT! Why do you ask?

I live in upstate NY so these same people-you-share-a-road-with occasionally leak onto our roads. I know the whole "[state] has the worst drivers" meme is as old as the car itself and loaded with confirmation bias but seriously, Mass, what the gently caress.

I have never encountered drivers so simultaneously aggressive and bewildered.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

kastein posted:

I got stuck behind four different yellow NY plated cars hogging the left lane on i90 tonight. By no means do we have a monopoly on lovely drivers here :v:

Can confirm this is a constant problem here too, don't get me started on all the geriatrics puttering their way up to the track to while away their last years playing video poker, but that's small potatoes. I'm talking nearly merging into your door, stopping on on/off ramps, switching from 10 under to MAXIMUM TAILGATE in an instant and treating stop signs/lights as a polite suggestion.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I worked with someone who did this. Car seat in the back and all 4 tires had cords showing. I asked if I could borrow her car at lunch (for some bullshit reason I don't remember), drove to Costco and got 4 new tires installed for $400.
To this day I wonder if she ever noticed.

"My ABS isn't working, it used to help me stop every time I used the brakes but now it doesn't activate!"

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Some doofus in an older F series (with a 6.0L) passed me on a double yellow line, stayed in that lane, and proceeded to attempt to roll coal on me, unsuccessfully. Twice.
I didn't take the bait, but :lol: at flooring it headlong into oncoming traffic for no good reason.

Probably not the first time his equipment failed to perform when called upon.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Broke down, coasted into the spot and decided to just have nice cup of coffee while waiting for the tow?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

InitialDave posted:

They don't mean "I'm JDM as fook maaaaate", they mean "I'm an incompetent poo poo who can't drive, watch out".

So, no difference then?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Why don't we have a cultural exchange programme where you can have all our retards hanging about in the right lane constantly, and we'll have all your left-lane obsessed idiots?

Only as long as we use Malaysian Air exclusively.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/FelicityMorse/status/899899078586376192

These are the livestock the Scots share a road with.

ya oval office

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Of course it's an Altima.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

spog posted:

He must have been running unloaded.

Even so, his reaction time and the braking time are amazing. I am not sure how many people in a car on the commute would even be able to get their foot on the brake in the time it took him to stop.

Volvo trucks have some fancy bits to help out, dunno if it could detect a pedestrian though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBT3tB_AQQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

THROUGH THE FIRE AND THE FLAMES WE TEXT AND DRIIIIIVE