Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Wiggly posted:

Coming into work yesterday I saw a dude wiping the snow off his car with what looked like a wadded up t-shirt. He was doing a slightly better job than that guy, but not by much. How do you live in Boulder Colorado without a loving snow removal device of some kind?

Easy, Boulder isn't the mountains where all the snow lands. Its so arid, its practically a desert. It snowed about two inches yesterday, and today its already 55 with most of it melted. It snows so much less here than when I was in Wisconsin that I have relatives threatening to "vacation" with me for the entire winter season. I see so many people in the ditches because they think AWD will compensate for their bald summer ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Protocol7 posted:

At least next time she can do a 360 before impact?

I'm thinking it'll just change the assessment from front end damage to rear end damage

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

The gently caress is a "turn out"?

But tell me more about how I was in the wrong for only doing 5 over in 40*F rain in March at night when someone decided to come up my rear end.

A turn out is a dedicated area that allows slow traffic to pull over and allow other traffic to pass. Common in places where it really isn't practical to pass otherwise, such as a mountain road.

In most places, you are legally required to get out of the way of faster traffic, even if they are speeding.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Look at the upside, no delay waiting for the investigators to come out

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Ugh, I hate driving in bad weather. Seems like some people don't loving get it.

Its been raining pretty decently add day, in a state that usually doesn't get much rain. Much of the water ended up standing on the highway instead of draining off, causing pretty bad visibility due to road spray, a number of instances where traffic dropped to 30mph from 75 due to large areas of deep standing water, and I saw about a half dozen cars that spun off the road, likely from hydroplaining. Halfway through my trip some bro in a lifted F150 comes right up my rear end as I'm passing some traffic. Apparently I wasn't passing fast enough because as soon as I was about to merge back right safely, mr brotruck cuts off the traffic in the right, swings around me, gets in-front of me (behind another car), and brake checks me. Of course, I was expecting this as soon as he starting to whip around, and backed off. Good thing two, because he started to lose it when brake checking me, and nearly became another person in a ditch. As he whipped back into the right lane to speed off, I hoped he was getting off at the next exit before his idiocy caused a major pileup on the only route for miles.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

blk posted:

Re: front plates - real cops in my city don't give a poo poo but the parking nannies ticket you for it.

Denver?

I've actually seen a traffic cop care about a front plate once. I was riding in a friend's Evo 10 as we were driving around town. The car had a front plate displayed on the OEM front mount, which is offset to one side. We pull up to a stop light, and shortly thereafter a cop pulls up next to us, on the side opposite from the front plate. When the light went green, the cop pulled back, and pulled us over. He immediately claimed there was no front plate (we were unsure how he made this determination having not been in-front of us), to which we got out of the car and pointed it out to him.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

TNO posted:

To be fair, "I'm allowed in the road," is a pretty weak excuse when there's a perfectly serviceable bike path less than 20 feet away. On the other hand, Mr. Land Rover Mobile Compensation Fortress has a bad case of small-man syndrome and deserves everything bad that results from him being a oval office.

"Perfectly serviceable" can be a matter of opinion. Turning vehicles generally only look for pedestrians in the crossing, and don't understand that a bike going nearly as fast as them has the right of way. Vehicles also tend to block the crossing while they wait for the cross traffic to be clear.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Do cyclists have the right to overtake on the inside of a turning lane, mind you? That's just loving stupid. Ride on the other side of the lane and there's no problem.

I'm not sure what part of the video you might be referring to. I'm assuming you are referring to xzzy's post.

I'd say check your local laws. Its a grey area here. If there is a bike lane, and the turning vehicle left it clear, then yes the bike has the right of way. The turning vehicle should move over and block the lane prior to making the turn, and the bike can pass on the outside to continue. If there is no bike lane, then the bike and the turning vehicle are sharing the same lane, in which case the bike should wait for the vehicle to complete its turn (ie act like a car). Even if the law is on the bike's side, its a dumb move, and the bike probably should have just waited for the truck to complete the turn.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

JackDarko posted:

So what's the best way to deal with a guy who is so upset you won't make an unsafe right on a red that they get out of their car and approach you? I got lucky in this instance that the light turned green in the nick of time and nobody ran the red.

Roll the windows up, lock the doors, ignore them, proceed when safe to do so. If they block your ability to safely proceed, call the police.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Ya know, I didn't quite believe the "construction flaggers are too stupid to operate a shovel" talk, but today changed my mind. I was sitting in traffic on a normally two lane road that was closed down to one lane so that work could be done on the median. While I'm sitting waiting for the light to turn green, an ambulance comes up from behind in the coned off lane with the lights and sirens going. All the construction workers got the gently caress out of the way, except for the flagger. The ambulance swerved around em into the start of a turn lane, with the horn blaring. The flagger looked more concerned about the knocked over cones than anything else.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Yet again today, I was amazed by someone's complete lack of planning to the point that I wonder how the person gets dressed in the morning.

I'm behind an SUV approaching a stop light in a shopping area. This light has a single through lane on the right, and two left turn lanes onto a major road. I make a move to line up in the center lane, which is the second left turn lane. Out of nowhere, the SUV effectively cuts me off without signaling, and decides they absolutely have to be in the left most turn lane. Alright, whatever, no damage to my car, light is still red. We get a green turn arrow, end up going through the intersection nearly side by side, and start approaching a red light. I'm coasting to the light, and all of a sudden get a bad feeling. Sure enough, the SUV is keeping pace with me, which is odd because the left turn lane and their lane is clear, while I'm approaching a line of cars. The SUV slams on the brakes, and cuts across 3 lanes of traffic just behind me to make a right turn. The whole thing would have been easier had they just been in the same left turn lane as me and planned how they were gonna get to the right turn lane 5 minutes earlier.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

There is no downside at all.

Research suggests that the use of DRLs negates the safety improvements that came from mandating motorcycles run a headlight 24/7.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Geoj posted:

Research, or a bunch of bikers who think a car on jackstands with it's engine removed and disassembled to the component level still somehow reduces the relative safety of motorcyclists?

I mean, you guys say this literally every time the topic comes up and I've never seen anyone link to one of these alleged studies showing putting DRLs on cars is like committing genocide...

I'm not putting much effort into this based on your reputation, but here is a 2008 study from NHTSA that I found in 5 seconds which suggests there is an impact, but is reluctant to call it conclusive: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Crash%20Avoidance/Technical%20Publications/2011/811504.pdf

Let me know when you decide to claim the NHTSA is secretly a motorcyclist lobbying group.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I'm impressed it hasn't smashed the windshield

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Some people need an education on how you merge on a highway.

I was driving home on a two lane rural highway. I'm doing 10 over, which is basically the standard speed for the area. I come up top a truck doing 5 under in the right lane, so I calmly move into the left lane to make a pass. In the middle of the pass, we come up to a cross road, which has some light SUV sitting there, presumably wanting to cross the highway to get to the other side. Instead, fuckwit in the SUV decides to pull out on the highway, into my lane instead of the merge lane, and fails to get up to speed. Mind you, had fuckwit waited another minute, the truck and I would have passed by, and fuckwit would have had no traffic to contend with. Instead, I get to threshold brake from 75 to 25 to prevent rear ending said fuckwit, honking my horn at the same time. Fuckwit in the SUV waved at me, and then proceeded to not accelerate. They were still doing dangerously under the speed limit after the truck I was intending to pass moved on, allowing me to move to the right to pass the fuckwit and go on my merry way.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

Okay. And there are plenty of people who don't own cars or homes, and think renter's insurance is a waste of money.

Hence making it mandatory.

Given the rate of uninsured car drivers out on the road where liability insurance is already mandatory, what do you expect to happen if liability insurance becomes required for cyclists? People will stop being self centered shitheads?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Looks like instant karma to me.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I think I met one of the weirdest midlife crisis cases in my life. Came up to a red light on a two line highway. At the front of the other lane was a 4th gen blue Mustang GT - probably the cleanest example I've ever seen. Light turns green, and Mr Mustang proceeds to "race" the VW golf in front of me. The golf isn't having any of it, and ends up turning off a mile later. Mr Mustang ends up slowing down to probably 10 under the limit, so I end up catching up by the next light in a few miles. About a a good block from the light, it turns red, which pompts Mr Mustang to slam on the brakes and stop right there - atleast 10 car lengths from the light itself. I pull up normally, and two minutes later, Mr Mustang creeps up - its an old guy with white hair, probably in his 50s. He proceeds to enter the intersection (still red), and stops with his rear bumper over the cross walk. Luckily the cross traffic was all turning. Light goes green, Mr Mustang races off the line again, and this time hits traffic, so he starts changing lanes, but never really makes it anywhere. When I turned off a few miles later, it seemed like he was still trying to figure out how to drive his not all that impressive sports car.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I usually take out my water bottle and take a good long drink. Tends to get the point across without making the driver mad. Usually.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I'm not surprised by that article. Had one a few days ago where I'm getting onto a highway following two cars. The "onramp" has a dedicated lane for a while, but then you need to move over because when the lane ends, the shoulder is too narrow due to a hard barrier. Its rush hour, but the highway traffic has a red light, so the 3 of us easily move over early. We are all going about 10 under, because half a mile up the road, traffic is stopped. As the first car comes up the hard barrier, another car comes down the "ramp" behind me, moves over into our lane almost instantly, comes flying up my rear end, decides we are not going fast enough, so he decides the wise move is to go back into the merge lane. Starts to pass me, sees that he won't pass the 3 of us before the hard barrier (which I'm almost at), brakes hard, swings left two lanes just off my rear bumper into the completely open left lane, rockets off at the stopped traffic, and ends up doing a panic brake to avoid smashing the stopped traffic. All of this occurred with zero turn signals.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Dumb as gently caress to allow AWD vehicles to get by with all-seasons...

Any vehicle can use all-seasons, so long as they have the M+S stamp. Besides no-name "chinese specials", I haven't seen an all season tire that didn't.

xzzy posted:

Probably done to placate the voters as basically every cowboy wannabe in that part of the country rolls around in a truck or jeep.

You forgot all the subarus. Like the 3 in ditches I passed on the way to work today.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Pfft that doesn't help the stereotyping at all which severely damages my ability to generate forum comedy.

Does it help if I tell you that we got 5 inches, which was basically plowed by the morning commute, yet more than 50% of the office decided to stay home because they were afraid of conditions that the average MN/WI/IL driver wouldn't bat an eye at?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

wolrah posted:

Any vehicle can use M+S all seasons or winter tires, but 4WD/AWD has no tire requirement under that policy as long as there's more than 1/8" of tread. A GT-R on Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires would be legal for use in those conditions because it has AWD, no matter how horribly inappropriate those tires are for the conditions.

As far as highways go 4WD/AWD is basically irrelevant, so giving them any kind of special treatment is silly. The policy should just be "M+S or winter tires only" for all vehicles.

While what you have said is true, you've missed the point.

Yes, this is nit picking, but so was the original comment. Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are not all season. They are not marketed that way, and if I go to my local tire shop and say I want an all season tire, they sure as poo poo are not going to recommend Cup 2s. Hell, when I want to buy tires in the same class as a Cup 2 for my track car, I have to specifically request them at Discount Tire. Tire Rack doesn't even list Cup 2s as an extreme performance summer tire, they are up in the competition listing. Far as hell from anything categorized as an all season.

The original comment mentioned that AWD vehicles get off easy by being able to use all seasons. The 3 categories permitted to travel as identified by the law are - snow tire, M+S, or AWD. Again, I haven't seen a tire marketed as all season from a reputable source, say on Tire Rack, that didn't also carry M+S, which would also be legal on a non-AWD vehicle per the law.

I guess my original point was that the comment that AWD vehicles can get by with all seasons is either misunderstanding what an all season tire is, or not clear that yes, the law stupidly allows AWD vehicles up in the mountains with Hoosier R6s when that tire has no business being in freezing conditions regardless of the drive configuration of the vehicle. A better version of the original comment - "Dumb as gently caress to allow AWD vehicles to get by with summer only or track only tires..."

Although, considering the law is attempting to prevent people from getting stuck going up inclines, it somewhat makes sense as an AWD vehicle could possibly continue when a FWD or RWD vehicle might get stuck, given equal lovely for the conditions summer tires. Its still a stupid law as pointed out, by Jamal - braking probably the bigger factor in winter driving.

Brigdh fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 5, 2017

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

sirr0bin posted:

My buddies 06 Subaru WRX had an awesome ABS/brake feature where if the car was up on 3 wheels (such as long tight corners on a track with R compounds) and you hit the brakes the pedal would go straight to the floor and not even try to stop the car. There were a few scary moments.

gently caress Subaru brakes.

Maybe your friend should back off on the sway bars? :)

Its called "ice mode" and it can happen on nearly any car, although some seem to be more resistant to others. Basically the system thinks you are on ice or a similar extremely low traction surface, and it can't prevent the wheel from locking up "normally", so it reduces the pressure to a very minimal amount to try to slow the car while preventing lock up. Usually you need to completely disengage the brakes and re-engage to get the system out of its funk, and working normally again.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

My '99 Cobra went into ice mode at an autocross in Kalispel, MT once the first year that I ran R compounds on it (Khumo V700's were the tire of the moment back then). I did an amazing journey across the lawn of the Kalispel community college. I think I may have hit an oil patch in the parking lot, not really sure and it never happened again. After it happened and I collected my poo poo, I was really super happy that there was no change in elevation between the pavement and the grass on that particular lot. A curb would have thoroughly ruined my day.

Interesting. You are the only one I've directly heard of triggering it with R comps in the dry (with all the tires on the ground). Based on my experiences and the limited chats I've had with actual ABS engineers, that shouldn't be possible, but well, you've actually experienced it. Must have been going too drat fast, and the ABS system felt it needed to put a lid on the fun :)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

Keep in mind that Khumo V700's probably have less traction than today's BFG RE71R's. Tires, both street and R compounds have come a long way in a very short period of time. Also, this was a 99 Cobra, which was Ford's very first Mustang with a hacked together IRS, so it may just be something that was fairly unique to the specific situation I was in.

I don't remember the lot having enough bumps that a tire might have gotten off the ground, but who knows. It was a straight into a hard turn at the edge of the lot, and I had been braking right on the edge of ABS in my prior runs, so it was a situation where I was pushing the edge, with basically no safety margin (that group was small, the lots were small with lots of obstacles, and their courses would have made a Phoenix SCCA safety steward faint dead away).

I definitely took that part of the course somewhat slower in later runs, so the ABS was successful in putting that lid on I suppose.

True, tires have evolved a lot in a short time, but so have ABS systems. I was vaguely wondering if it was an instances of an early ABS system being hard coded with a tire traction characteristic and a hysteresis to get around processing limitations, thus throwing a R comp at it might exceed the range of the programmed look up tables, but an ABS system from '99 shouldn't need to have that processing shortcut.

Who knows. A situation to ponder, yet never have answered.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Almost got into a 6+ car pileup today. I'm driving down a rural highway on my way to a rock quarry in the middle of no where which is one lane in each direction, not divided, 55 mph speed limit, and every so often widens just a bit to include a dedicated turn lane for whatever side country road is considered "important". I'm not sure why, but the road a packed in both directions, I can see 4 cars ahead of me and at-least two behind me, all doing 45mph because someone clearly isn't comfortable doing the speed limit. Whatever. All of a sudden, the cars in front of me panic stop, I panic stop, and luckily the car and uhual truck behind me don't rear end me. I'm wondering WTF, when I see some car on a side road must have gotten impatient waiting for a gap, and decided to just go, causing the panic stop situation. Said idiot decides to proceed into the oncoming lane, which causes them to panic stop, thankfully no collisions. Now, with heavy traffic stopped in all directions, the idiot pulls into a turn lane, sitting the wrong way, and starts motioning that everyone else should go, they'll wait for an opening to join the oncoming traffic. Thankfully traffic in my lane started moving since the obstruction was cleared, and I was able to get the gently caress out of the area before something happened.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Why does it look like half the cab is still on the trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOCOZ_8MIA

I was really hoping he would lose it and end up slagging his suspension in the median.