Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Mooseykins posted:

I always found it funny that Americans call it the "Emergency brake". That's the last thing i'd want to use in an emergency.

A friend of mine failed his driving test because the instructor told him to perform an emergency stop, so he pulled the handbrake/emergency brake. He told me the following exchange took place immediately after:

:eek: WHAT ARE YOU DOING???
:v: I don't know!

That wasn't the only time he failed either.. He's a terrible driver. And once while driving down an icy hill, his car began to slide, so he pulled the handbrake. It slid more and he crashed into a BMW (With a family of 3 on board) and a house.

I used the handbrake on my E30 to stop it from about 95MPH after the front wheel sheared off. The last thing I'd want is to be in that situation again with a foot operated e-brake (keep in mind that the wheel took the brake line, and thus all pressure, with it). It's way too hard to tell if the rears are starting to lock up otherwise and probably likely to induce a spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't E30s have dual circuit brakes?

Pedal went to the floor, but the car wasn't nearly as well maintained as the seller made it out to be, so who knows.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Vindolanda posted:

My university is mid-fresher's week. The uni is in Scotland, but a lot of Americans come here, and somehow their parents have managed to hire THE LARGEST CARS IN THE COUNTRY. They also don't break any stereotypes about signalling, use of roundabouts, knowledge of signalling, or really any ability not to roll their multi-ton impotency wagons over my very short car. The standard of driving is so much worse than usual that were I marking driving tests for them I'd give them good points for getting the seatbelt (that they don't use) on without breaking their arm.

After living in the UK, when this state vs that arguments come up, I now simply say that Americans as a whole are consistently the worst drivers in the Western world.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

dissss posted:

Got an example? I'd love to look up some weird dashboard layouts.

There are hundreds here: http://carinteriors.tumblr.com/

what are all those buttons for :byodood:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
How many Marinites do we have here anyway? I grew up in San Rafael and enjoy abusing the roads around Mt. Tam during the week when there are fewer drivers.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The only place I know of that gets dangerous fog is the California Central Valley where the Tule fog rolls in and makes 5 basically impassable. It's particularly dangerous because you have a mix of people trying to go 80 and 40 on the same road with no visibility.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My car has "brake force" lights that illuminate the LEDs full power (which are incredibly bright) and I'm guessing it's designed to shock people awake. It's possible to have them on all the time but I don't see a reason to blind people, and I think the transition is one of the things that helps grab attention.

I'm noticing people using their phones more and more these days, eyes down while driving rather than just talking. It's getting unnerving.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
They're different units on the post-facelift cars when they switched to the LED clusters. I've been caught in super heavy fog enough that I'm considering seeing if the European switch mod works on the later cars as well.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Traffic in Marin has been lovely since the 80s, I don't think it'll ever get better, at least until a major public transport project like a BART extension (yeah right, Not In My Back Yard) happens.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
:catstare: drunk while hauling

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

some texas redneck posted:

What ever happened to that Porsche anyway?

That was EinTier's project... he's still around, but no updates.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I measured that the M3's speedometer in the UK read high by 3%, so judging by this thread I'm a little surprised. 10% is quite a bit, do you guys think that mfrs do that to game CAFE regulations?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Geoj posted:

Do the "baby on board" placards activate some kind of self-important entitled road rage mode when you put them on? I just had some woman in her mid-20s start brake checking the gently caress out of me while following at around two car lengths around a long turning interchange that averages maybe 30 MPH. She was doing the whole "brake-brake-stop-speed off repeat" act for over a quarter mile until we merged with the other highway and I was able to get around her.

She then proceeded to park herself a foot behind my rear bumper and stayed there for the next three miles on the highway plus the mile and a half I covered on surface roads. She jumped out of her car to accost me when I was dropping my wife off at work, screaming that I was trying to murder her newborn baby and driving like an rear end in a top hat, etc.

Never mind that before she started trying to cause an accident I was following at a safe distance for conditions. Time to buy a dashcam...

I can't think of anything that screams "I think I'm more important than you" than a baby on board sign. People hated them in the 90s when they first showed up, nothing's changed about that. This is someone who thinks the world revolves around them, so no surprise. I imagine you could elicit some hilarity by declaring you're a Satanist and want to eat her baby etc.

edit: clarity

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 23, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The only thing I miss about owning the Corvette is the "Moses effect" because the profile of the car seems to trigger all but the tiniest minority of people to move out of the way. Although even then there were situations where that was limited, and it got me far more attention from the police than I get in my gray 3 series (or any color, for that matter.)

There's another way to do this, and it's basically timing your braking so that you're more likely to appear to be approaching someone in the passing lane at high speed. Frequently this is the case anyway, but it's walking a fine line between causing people to panic and yank their car out of the lane vs waking them up by tripping the driver's Reichardt detectors so they react to your presence. Anyone else do this to "wake up" someone going 10 under in the left lane?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

Doesn't stop the 200+ km/h VERY IMPORTANT BUSINESSMEN from flashing their brights like there's no tomorrow at anyone they deem to be impeding their VERY IMPORTANT DRIVING.

This explains why my mutual friends in the UK and I had to conclude that the French had better lane discipline than the Germans these days. I would have thought the Germans would at least have given deference to my car, being locally built and fairly special and all at that, but no - I had to ride rear end for miles to get Herr Scheißekasten to yield the left lane.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

some texas redneck posted:

e: meanwhile, on my way home last night with the cruise set at 85 (70 mph road where traffic normally does 80-85)

I only got around to fixing the clock a few hours ago, everything I've posted in the past week is an hour into the future

I think you're overreacting a tad bit there, unless there's danger I'm not seeing in the video. He's maybe doing 110. On a nearly empty, well-lit freeway, with plenty of visibility. In conditions like those I will have no problem with passing or being passed deep into triple digits and think nothing of it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Now here's a high speed pass :clint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCT6BXn2SbA

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My wife tells me I keep my car "weirdly clean" on the inside. For one thing, it reduces the risk someone will break into your car if they see there's nothing in it, and as others have mentioned I don't like having crap flying around in the car. The car is not a dumpster and it really bothers me when people treat them as such, especially when it's so bad I'd rather take a cab home than ride in my friend's trash-filled shitbox.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Germans really shouldn't be criticizing other people for having queues.

They won't even cross against a red signal on foot when there are no cars in sight.

Let me assure the UK & Europe contingent here that while your cyclists can be slightly rude at times, a large proportion of American cyclists are sociopathic, suicidal, and their behavior has set everyone against them.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Llyd posted:

Yep, Belgium has the perfect recipe for bad driving:
- Abysmal road quality
- Constant road works that take forever*
- Transportation planners gone mad
- Being the center of Europe means drivers from all over the continent (and their respective bad habits)
- Mediocre driver licence system
- No cop presence on the roads (sobriety test ? what's that ?)

Belgium is indeed automotive anarchy. Things are fine when the roads are empty but in heavy traffic you get people trying to lane split in cars and other lunacy.

My mates and I took advantage, racing each other on the E40 from Calais all the way to the German border, so I suppose I'm guilty of contributing to the chaos. It's such a shame that France has a speed limit with all that great road too, but we knew there were no Gendarmes in Belgium waiting for us.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Something recent I thought was strange and a little suspicious happened, I'd been driving fast on an empty rural freeway for quite a while, and a Brinks armored truck changed up and blocked the left of the two lanes by pacing a tractor-trailer. I waited a couple minutes before I realized that they were purposefully doing it, and after flashing them a few times and I had decided it was on purpose, killed the lights, dropped it into third and blew past across an onramp.

I still can't figure out what the hell was going on and I've never had it happen. I've had the opposite, truckers timing their passes on 5 in the middle of the night so I can maintain high speed. Would a Brinks truck block the road because a radio call went out when some hillbilly shitlord called 911 over someone going 20 mph faster than they were? Or are they operated by assholes?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I basically drove around a neighborhood for about 15 minutes. I remember getting a 100 on my first attempt, after thinking "that's it?" and then mentally facepalming at the note that a score of 85 was required to be an instructor. I was a danger to myself and others until my mother signed me up for Russell Racing at Sears Point.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

The Midniter posted:

Normally I would agree but the stream of kids was intermittent but steady - basically at certain points there was one kid at the end of the crosswalk about to exit while another had just entered, and she was in the middle of the crosswalk with the stop sign so she didn't really have the opportunity to hustle back to the side of the road and allow the cars through. Plus that intersection has an unusually short light cycle - just down the road is a much larger intersection with a much slower light cycle that probably has one full cycle for every three cycles of the intersection in question. Basically this driver was just an impatient rear end and I think the psychological impact of "THREE LIGHT CYCLES NO WAY" got to him/her.

There are some around here who will pull out the sign when the kids are still 20 yards from the actual crosswalk. Extend your arm, extend your middle finger, continue driving.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Driving a full size RV at freeway speeds is scary and requires a lot of skill and concentration.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

buttcrackmenace posted:

Spotted on the way to work today.

Do NOT
Double
Stack

Lol.

Got the hell away from this one as quick as I could.

edit : oh look gas is cheap today

Where the hell do you live that they sell Total fuel and American pickups?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

The Midniter posted:

Sorry for the lovely pic but yours reminded me of this, taken a little over a year ago. SUPER safe.

:v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

EightBit posted:

gently caress you, cyclists have the right to the road too, and riding in a big gently caress off group like that means that they're less likely to get killed by manchildren like you.

gently caress you, cars have the right to the road too, and driving in a big gently caress off group means they're more likely to crash into each other because of ladyboys like you.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I think I've mentioned this before but my parents sent me to Russell Racing school a few months after I got my license. I still drove fast, but I am most likely alive today because of the skills I learned. I was going to drive fast regardless, and it's been proven that better real-world driver training instead of the laughably stupid "be afraid of everything YOU'RE GOING TO DIE AT ANY MOMENT RARRRGGH BLOOD DEATH SPEED KILLS" type of poo poo that passes for drivers ed in the US is simply incomparable when it comes to a positive statistical outcome.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

Also, from today: Pull out to pass a truck, as does the guy behind me, and some oik in a Seat Leon accelerates up the inside of us and cuts out in front of me. I was maybe five car lengths from the truck at this point, probably had a 15mph speed differential over it. I could understand if I'd been a zombie sat in the outer lane for the past half mile, but it was pretty obvious I was pulling out to maintain my speed past the truck. He's lucky I wasn't driving the 10mph faster I would normally do, it'd have closed the door on him right where he needed to pull out.

That's standard procedure for getting anywhere in the US, frequently drivers here are afraid of trucks and will dither about in the truck's blind spot, taking ages (if ever) to muster the courage to pass.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

nm posted:

You know who never uses turn outs? Motorcycles. Was stuck behind a harley and two BMW touring bikes from Boonville to Cloverdale on 128 the other day. loving maddening. And I can't safely pass 3 motorcycles in the very short passing zones they do have, esp with 100hp of fury in my Mazda 2.
That said, no one but locals use turn outs for the Mazda. When I had a rental Orange Dodge Charger RT (which quite frankly was slower in the turns), everyone moved.

I had some dipshit on a loving motard do the same thing up on Skyline on New Year's Day. The worst part was he couldn't corner nearly as quickly as I could, and it wasn't for lack of trying on his part. I'd had bikes do a double-take when they realize they aren't the fastest thing on the road that day, which I think a lot of them take for granted.

No way are they using that turn-out, this is now a street race, whether you wanted to or not.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

West SAAB Story posted:

Empty meme quoting tends to result in probation, Pilky.

Fuckin cagers man, I tell you what :argh:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

nsdaP posted:

You're in a thread full of people complaining about drivers dude...I didn't. I just gave you some advice. And look what someone said after that:

I solved your problem bro, no need to get mad. Now you can tear up those canyon roads without trying :)

It's cool brah, he don't mess with my rayelin and I don't mess with his.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ringo Star Get posted:

Jesus Christ, either in that situation the BMW was either passing on the right-hand shoulder or was literally on this van's rear end when the van was going to merge over to the other lane to let him go by. Drivers with this "I drive the car, I am the important one!" mentality to drive like assholes and to try and cause a collision should have their licenses revoked and have huge fines levied on them.

It's stuff like this where I'd love to get a dashcam because sometimes there's no witnesses or ample proof to prove things. Would such dashcam recordings be okay to be submitted to police in the US?

As insane as the drivers in Belgium are I was surprised anyone took notice of this. Way to keep up the BMW driver rep, bub.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

The whole bimmer/beemer thing is :spergin: of the highest order, to the point someone from BMW marketing had to issue a statement about it. I do find BMW riders to be better/more courteous overall as motorcyclists go, but I suspect that may be a result of the fact that most of their bikes are touring bikes.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
You can keep getting tickets, or buy a LIDAR jammer once :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Short following distances make me uncomfortable but there are times when it's necessary to "manage" other traffic (ie dickheads that try to cut in front of you) just because you're leaving a reasonable gap. I generally avoid following vehicles that don't allow me to see several cars ahead, and I watch their behavior first; my eyes will automatically pick up on brake lights / sudden motion from the vehicle I'm behind. I've managed to be the one guy who wasn't part of a 6-7 car chain reaction rear-ender because I'm on the brakes before the cars ahead of me are.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

superdylan posted:

Say I'm on an empty 3-lane highway doing a brisk 63 in a 60, in the right lane. Coming up is a car in the middle lane going 58. Do I have to switch 2 lanes to go around, and 2 more to get back to the right lane, or do I stay in full-on keep right except to pass mode? This is in WA

If I'm going substantially faster than other cars I prefer to have a lane between me and the other car. Otherwise lane position isn't as important, especially in a place like WA where everyone is mindlessly doddering along at 50.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

It was for crossing a double line during overtaking and doing 120kph on a 80kph road, not at the same time, though.

$900 ticket and I had to retake both the theory test and the practical test, another $700 or so.

Yeah, I'm one of the people you share a road with (I don't speed anymore, obviously).

To be fair, you live in one of those Soviet We-hate-cars-istan type places. Another reason to :bahgawd: about the metric system: speeding sounds more egregious in kommiemeters per hour.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

goatse guy posted:

The highway patrol was looking for him, and the officer I talked to said she would do some more investigating on her next shift. North Dakota seems to take sex crimes seriously, so I have no doubt that they will investigate it to the fullest extent of their powers.

Yeah what does that work out to, lewd conduct in public, harassment, public exposure... if you stay on top of the police it won't end well for him. That sounds like someone who is already/destined to be on the offender registry. If someone was pacing me in the other lane I'd plant it and be gone, personally, I don't know if I'd want to be around long enough for some psycho to decide to take it up a notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Geoj posted:

YMMV on this one. In my experience calling 911 on road-ragers and other dangerous drivers they don't really seem to care unless there's been an accident. I once had a guy flash a gun at me on the highway because I tried to pass him in a totally normal fashion, and the 911 dispatcher couldn't have given less of a gently caress. I was trying to read her the license plate number and she just cut me off with "we'll advise [police department in the next city on the highway] of the situation *click.*"

Road rage is one thing, but someone being sexually aggressive towards someone else, especially in public, will raise the attention of decent authorities. And with the location being North Dakota it isn't likely to be treated as an everyday occurrence like it could be in big cities.