Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

The meth heads around here don't even try to siphon anymore, the cars all have anti-siphon valves. They just find a high clearance vehicle, punch a hole in the gas tank and put a bucket under it. And if the truck has more gas than their bucket can hold they just leave and let it run out on the ground. The work trucks in my work business park have all been hit like that multiple times. The owners are furious but other than install cameras there's not much they can do. Maybe bolt on some plate to make the thieves move on to a different vehicle or something. Or build parking guards like a wood box that they park on or something.

Or just drive cars instead of bro trucks :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

I gotta imagine breaking down on the Skyway was not a fun experience for everyone involved.

madeintaipei posted:

I think they fine you for breakdowns on the Skyway. Yeah though, just hope your poo poo breaks on the hump or at the exteme ends of the bridge.
I wonder if you get charged toll for a vehicle on a tow truck?

I got a flat tire at the top of the Skyway about ten years ago. At night.

Picked up one of the emergency phones they have up there, and a state trooper was there within five minutes with an aluminum floor jack and I was gone in about ten minutes.

My wife was freaking out because I made her get out of the car because i was worried about an idiot rear ending it. The barrier is about waist high and it was super spooky looking down over it into the black abyss. Would not recommend getting a flat tire on the Skyway.

For those that don't know what the Skyway is:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

And for those who don't know why it looks like that: a ship crashed into the former Skyway in 1980, killing 35 people. Even knowing it was designed to avoid that happening again, the whole thing skeeves me out.

I know people that refuse to go over it, some kind of bridge phobia mixed with the history. I remember when it happened, and then driving over the good span passing by the span that broke apart....THAT was loving spooky as a kid to see that knowing about all the people that died. I was a huge deal at the time.

Driving over the Skyway is the only thing with enough elevation in Florida to make my ears pop.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Skyway is bigger than yours :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

I understand your instinct to protect your loved ones and to distrust your fellow motorists' attentiveness, but unless you can get behind a barrier or far from the roadway, the safest place to be is in the car buckled up.

Not in the piece of poo poo we were in, it was an old rear end Isuzu pickup, so we took our chances getting out and far away enough until the trooper got there.

Tbh I was more worried about getting hit and pushed over the edge, it happens on the bridges around here a lot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ.....That reinforces my theory that lots of people drive around literally scared all the time and have no business driving. People panic for no reason and cause accidents, if you're not confident in your ability to drive under pressure or drive at all for that matter, just don't loving drive and use uber for the love of god.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

yamdankee posted:

On any on-ramp, depending on the angle of approach, I will turn in my seat sometimes (briefly) up to a 135 degree angle if needed in an effort to scope out the scenario of my merge.

Yeah I do the same thing as soon as I get to a point where I can see what's going on and adjust my speed accordingly. I thought everyone did this haha yeah right :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Target fixation possibly.

[e] beaten :argh:

Also the reason I don't ride motorcycles anymore. Haven't ridden since the 90's and although I miss it sometimes I don't regret it at all.