Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

I do love the thermite theory, because its what I call "answer for everything". Explosives would take a lot, and it would be impossible to wire a building the size of one of WTC towers, let alone two, and the crew would have to be huge. Okay so it was termite, a material that melts metal very quickly. Oh that wouldn't even do it? It's microthermite then. Oh you say there isn't enough Microthermite in existence? Well of course they'd say that, that's just what the Lizard Illuminati wants you to think.

I think the thermite theory is used because it fits 'neatly' with the debris. I mean, OF COURSE there'd be a lot of iron oxide at the site of a collapsed skyscraper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any good sources to share about birther-ism? I think it pretty much also qualifies as a conspiracy theory considering the massive amount of mental gymnastics one has to go through to convince oneself that they're after Obama's birth records because there's legit shadowy stuff about that guy and nope, it's not about anything else, honest.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do we have any idea on the demographics of conspiracy theorists? Tying back to the earlier claim that being less in-control makes people more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, I wonder if socioeconomic status would also have something to do with it; that a rich person (with a lot more control as far as financial freedom) would be less likely to believe in these grand conspiracies than a person at the mercy of his paycheck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there survivors of incidents that are conspiracy theorists? I don't think anyone who walked away from 9/11 that day would believe that the planes were fake (though I suppose they might believe that the planes were empty or remotely-piloted or done by Bush), and on a more personal level I don't think they'd believe that anyone was a "crisis actor" if you saw someone you know get shot in front of you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any possible rebuttals to the HAARP array / microwave beam bullshit being touted about Typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan? I've been trying to counter with how this comes up every single time a disaster happens like the Japan earthquake or the Indian Ocean tsunami

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Great posts, Mr Funny Pants! I learned something today.

I just want to chime in that JFK Reloaded was made specifically to show that the Lone Gunman theory was very possible

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is the most :allears: honeypot for people who are actually in the conspiracy crowd.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Morphix posted:

I havn't read all the pages, but in the first few pages I saw JFK stuff being thrown around with 9/11 and Lizard people poo poo.

And I just wanna be clear, ya'll don't think Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone-shooter right? The JFK conspiracy is the conspiracy between people (cubans, FBI, Generals) conspiring to kill a president, and having a dumb patsy as the fall guy.

I don't know much about the 9/11 thing, but the JFK thing is well established to be a legitimate conspiracy, in the proper context of the word.

You really should, because the thread spends quite a bit of time discussing this very thing.

Hell, I'm feeling generous, I'll even quote the most relevant posts:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It took almost ten months. Had the guy in that car been Joe Blow and all the other circumstances been the same, it would have been a slam dunk investigation, wouldn't have taken a week.

It's been very well established that the bullet did nothing magical. Kennedy and Connally were sitting at different heights and Connally was turned far to the right. The bullet went in an incredibly straight trajectory given that it exited Kennedy tumbling, causing a keyhole entry on Connally, blew up a rib, and on and on. Numerous experiments have confirmed that the bullet's behavior was nothing special. Also, the "pristine" line is horseshit. The bullet was flattened lengthwise and it's core extruded out the back. If anything, it was damaged more than expected.

Unfortunately yes, you are. You are hardly unique though, that movie was a brilliant piece of craft. But even many conspiracy buffs thought that movie was bullshit. Stone had numerous theories to choose from and decided he'd take bits and pieces from the most batshit insane of them.

For those who believe in "evidence" and "logic" and "are sane", yes, it's settled. The conspiracy-minded will never find it settled. That's not what they do.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

I don't care what the claim is, I care if the evidence supports the claim. In this case, it doesn't. I don't have any trouble believing the U.S. government would do something lovely because it's done horrifying poo poo many times.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Thought I'd add a few bullet point answers to some common JFK issues.

*Oswald didn't have enough time to fire the shots.
Answer: If you go by the original timing arrived at by the early buffs, no, he probably didn't. Though it is physically possible to fire three times and reacquire and cycle twice in six seconds, it's pretty loving hard. But that timing was based on flawed interpretations of the Zapruder film. Newer timings give Oswald a minimum of eight seconds and probably more. The extra two+ seconds makes a huge difference.

*Oswald wasn't a good enough shot to pull it off.
Answer: Two issues here. First Oswald was good enough to pull it off. He scored very well in numerous Marine Corps shooting sessions. Buffs usually ignore those and point to some not so hot sessions he had not long before he defected to Russia. More to the point, the marksmanship required was rudimentary. Those shots were all extremely close and the head shot hit when he was only 265 feet away, not even 90 yards, and the car was moving at its slowest. At those distances, Oswald probably could have got hits on body-sized targets with just the iron sights, but he had a scope to help out as well. Just for a little fun, here's video of Jerry Miculek shooting a man-sized target with no scope from 200 yards. And it's a hand-gun. A snub-nosed hand gun. Which he holds upside down and fires with his pinky finger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwVK_FxGZk In fairness, Miculek is probably an alien, but the point is, shooting that motorcade from the sixth floor window was not some all time feat of marksmanship.

*The gun was a piece of poo poo that wasn't up to the task.
Answer: Yep, the gun is/was a piece of poo poo, no question. But Oswald didn't need a great or even good gun. He just needed a gun that would go off three (or five, that's how many rounds he had loaded) consecutive times and score hits well within its mechanical limits. Think of it this way. If I gave you the task of driving across town, you'd prefer to do it in a Mercedes. But the task isn't demanding, even a Yugo will do the job. That Mannlicher Carcano was the Yugo in this case.

*Kennedy's head moves backwards, against the direction of the bullet, how could that happen?
Answer: JFK's head actually does move forward at first having been hit from behind. But when the bullet exits, it blows out a huge amount of brain, skull, and fluid that then pushed the head backwards. The funny thing about this issue is that any experienced hunter will tell you that when you shoot living things, they'll loving move or fall in every direction imaginable.

Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone? Of course he did
Is it possible, even probable that there were forces in play beyond just Lee Harvey Oswald's motivations to kill JFK? Yes
Granting the previous question, can we therefore jump straight to Cubans/FBI/CIA/Communists as being the ones really behind it? Nope!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
With regards to conspiracy theorists like David Icke and Alex Jones, etc. etc., do we know if any of them are just in it for the money, or if they really believe in all of this stuff?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MizPiz posted:

Why do people think it's so hard to keep a conspiracy hidden?

Because of all the "conspiracies" that we already do know of by now. Snowden was a guy that got turned off by all the poo poo the NSA was doing, and he managed to grab a bunch of files that he technically shouldn't have been able to access because IT security practice in the NSA was sloppy, just as it is sloppy in every other IT organization ever. If was easy to keep a conspiracy hidden, we wouldn't even be speculating about it - we just wouldn't know at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yarbald posted:

I just saw this on Facebook.

God dammit. Just last week I was thinking how weird it was that I hadn't heard any conspiracies regarding the Titanic.

I know that railing against the Fed is a common conspiracy theory thing, but that doesn't sound very conspiratorial at all? There's no suggestion that the Titanic was deliberately sunk in order to kill off opponents of the Federal Reserve.

The tie-in to the Titan is also weird because it's a factoid that could stand all on its own.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was hosting a dinner party tonight when one of my friends used the casual mention of MH370 to segue into 9/11 trutherism: "Do you believe that MH370 was a conspiracy? No? Well how about 9/11? What do you think about that as a conspiracy? Because I've read a bunch of websites and seen some videos that explain this pretty well" and then he goes right into it:

* Jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel. When I said that you don't need to melt steel to weaken it, he deflected with "oh but there was melted steel in the ruins!" as well as how there was 3000 degree thermal signatures inside the rubble six weeks after the incident

* The buildings didn't topple over, they fell into their footprints as though it was a controlled demolition that was done via thermite planted all across the buildings. When I asked how the thermite got there in the first place, he said there was an elevator modernization program months before that served as a cover.

* WTC 7 was the only building in the world that ever fell down just due to a fire burning, when some other building that burned for 9 hours straight didn't. It to be brought down because it was the command center of the demolitions team.

* Those weren't airliners that hit the buildings, they were drones - they studied the profiles of whatever it was that hit the towers and it matches the drones perfectly. This also explains how there were no bodies recovered from the Pentagon site and how whatever it was that flew into the Pentagon did it from very low altitude and level flight rather than coming down from above

And he capped it all off by saying that it was done to provide a pretext for the US to invade Iraq and Afghanistan. By this time I was extremely uncomfortable and wanted to get out of the subject so I just retorted by saying that it was so implausible for this massively orchestrated operation to only produce a tenuous link to Iraq/Afghanistan - if the US government pulled it off so well, why did it take many months and lots of debates and numerous doubting allies before the US went to war? Why couldn't they have done something that clearly and explicitly outed Iraq/Afghanistan as the perpetrators ... and then ended with "My god folks, this is way too heavy a discussion" and laughed it off. That seemed to shut him up and we moved on.

I felt terrible being in that position because I couldn't really recall enough about the standard debunking points (besides that very last one) to fight him off well right then and there, I couldn't stand him proselytizing to the rest of my party and I couldn't come down on him too hard/angrily without looking worse off for it. I honestly just wanted it to stop.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, that list was pretty retarded. In the end nothing you said would have done anything. When their questions are answered and "theories"* debunked, they'll just stop listening, hit the reset button, and restate everything again later or just start going around in circles with you. I really don't understand the need to do such, I can only compare it to the fundamentalists of religion because they absolutely, completely, unquestioningly need to be right.

*I refuse to accept placing their "theories" on the same level as the actual definition of theory

Yeah exactly. I didn't really know what I could have done. Should I have whipped out my phone and googled for Pentagon bodies right then and there? It's not so much trying to prove him wrong and more on how do I get him to stop talking about it because I don't want him spreading it around to anyone and who wants to talk about that poo poo over dinner.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That 3 men could make it to the Moon and back using 60s technology can inspire disbelief in the same way that a group of terrorists could bypass national security and orchestrate an attack that leveled the WTC. I don't see a particular agenda to it, just that the sheer scale and scope of the achievement makes it difficult to believe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Hahaha, I was in a Facebook comment argument and someone linked Globalresearch.ca. When I called them on it, they linked a loving PressTV article as backup. For people who rail about government lies all the time, conspiracy theorists sure are willing to drink them up when it's a government saying a lie they want to be true.

Oh poo poo globalresearch isn't on the level? Because my dad just emailed me these:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/russia-tests-u-s-nuclear-defenses-to-prepare-for-war/5395157

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/07/30/pers-j30.html

Along with a comment "just sharing this fine article. Can you say Cuban missile crisis?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

Like with JFK. Seems like Oswald was the only shooter and there was no action on the grassy knoll, but no way in hell will most people accept it.

Even if they did it's also never Oswald acting on his own - he was being paid off/brainwashed/etc by the Soviets or the Cubans or the Mafia or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have some good sources (and conversational approaches) on discrediting globalresearch.ca and/or natural news?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/mind-altering-drugs-are-statins-the-cause-of-widespread-brain-dysfunction/5423383

My dad found that article and now he doesn't want to take his heart medicine and that's the last goddamn straw. He can be a truther all he likes but I draw the line at him endangering his own health.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was in the back seat of a car, telling a friend about a Call of Cthulhu campaign to stop a Nazi plot to manufacture large amounts of Chlorine Triflouride.

I get to describing how "that stuff burns hotter than thermite, it can even burn through concrete and gravel" when the driver suddenly calls out "thermite? you mean the stuff they used to bring down the World Trade Center?"

I was caught so off-guard I just kinda went "uhh" and changed the subject.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tias posted:

But didn't the planes exploding melt or at least weaken some of the steel enough for it to give? That seems likely, though I just read articles about steel so what do I know?
That's exactly right and exactly the point. When a Truther says that jet fuel cannot burn hot enough to melt steel beams, they're (deliberately) forgetting the part where you don't need to literally melt steel in order to weaken metal.

How many of these people have been exposed to the stereotype of the old-timey blacksmith hammering a piece of hot, but not molten, metal, in order to shape it into a horseshoe?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People are going to be outraged all right - they're just not going to be outraged in the "oh so it really was an inside job!" sense that they're all expecting to be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Illuminti posted:

You reckon? Being rich and powerful doesn't mean you're not as prone as anyone else to stupid mistakes. Hilary Clinton used a personal email for official business. Sonys email got hacked, although that could well have been an inside job. All these people got their phones hacked in a fairly simple way http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/29/leveson-inquiry-list-victims-phone-hacking

The more I think about it the more I think it must be happening. Having forknowledge of mergers or suchlike would be a goldmine as long as you wern't stupid.

It was my understanding that Clinton used personal email partly because it was supposed to be more secure than the official government systems, and that this personal email was never compromised, only that people found out that she was doing so.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Illuminti posted:

Quite an endorsement of the government email system!

To be clear, I agree with your assertion that being rich/powerful has no direct correlation to the strength of your IT security, I was just questioning your specific example of Hillary Clinton's private email use as being included in that point.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've actually had chikungunya, and gently caress anyone who doesn't take it seriously.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like it's a classic case of "gangstalking" except there was just this perfect storm of the guy being killed under suspicious circumstances just when he was "supposed" to, and it's blinding a bunch of people who'd otherwise not care or be able to pick out that it's gangstalking otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helen Highwater posted:

Even the nutbaggiest conspiracy theorists don't deny that two airliners actually hit the towers.

Actually, one spiel I've heard from my dad is: Hollywood CGI is a couple of years behind what the government is capable of. What actually happened is that the gov't has the ability to generate CGI in real-time, and insert it into news feeds live. The planes didn't exist, and nothing ever hit the towers - you just saw the NSA or whatever create a pixel-perfect image (for the resolution of TV at that time) of what a plane flying into the WTC would have looked like.

• Locked thread